Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
This is the BEST Free Agency I've Ever Seen in the Burrow Era
(03-13-2024, 12:16 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Is this post for real? I really can’t tell. Raise your hand if you said before free agency you “we’re just Geno Stone away from winning the Super Bowl”? We gave one guy a 2 year $14M contract and now we’re Super Bowl champs. I don’t think there are any free agents left that will improve this team enough to beat the Cheifs, ravens, browns or Texans in the playoffs. Yeah we’re not done, we have like $30M left to spend…on average to above average players. We need some pro bowlers on this team.

Exactly!! Instead of getting some big fish to help put you over the top, the front office is fine getting 3-4 little fish.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:04 AM)BengalsJA Wrote: First off, just because I don’t like what has happened so far doesn’t mean I’m not a Bengals fan. Had season tickets for years & go to all home games/2-3 away games each year. Drive about 5hrs for every home game. I’m a huge fan & just want them to do what it takes to win. If they make great moves tomorrow or whenever I will give them praise. So, just cause we don’t agree you shouldn’t tell me to go be a fan of another team. I believe we haven’t really gotten better & many other teams have. Don’t really see any big names left in the positions we need. Don’t want a rookie starting at RT!

I wasn't quoting you, but I have heard this stuff all day from the dude I did quote.

I am actually with you on a lot of what you said except for calling this Free Agency pathetic before it even started, we are in the tampering
stage until tomorrow when Free Agency actually begins. I actually think you will give them praise from what you say here, unlike the guy I 
quoted.

I believe we have gotten better in communication and coverage on Defense with the Geno Stone addition, better at RB with Zack Moss who 
is better at all the weaknesses of Mixon by far and better at TE in the passing game with the Gesicki addition. I also believe we will not have
a rookie starting at RT unless he is clearly the best player.

We need RT and DT addressed for sure. I am just sick of the cry baby shit from the guy I quoted.
Reply/Quote
Here's what I don't understand with the Mixon trade; how exactly did we get more 'explosive' in the running game with virtually the same oline that was weak at the point of attack last year?

Until we get some strength and lineman with the ability to knock people off the los, no back we have is going to average 4.3-4.7 a carry like the FO is saying they want.

Our road to the SB is really simple, keep JoeyB on his feet and open up holes in the running game. Thats it.

Oh and sign Higgins already. Are we seriously going to risk losing a guy like Tee because we're looking to sign guys cheap?
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:41 AM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: Here's what I don't understand with the Mixon trade; how exactly did we get more 'explosive' in the running game with virtually the same oline that was weak at the point of attack last year?

Until we get some strength and lineman with the ability to knock people off the los, no back we have is going to average 4.3-4.7 a carry like the FO is saying they want.

Our road to the SB is really simple, keep JoeyB on his feet and open up holes in the running game. Thats it.

Oh and sign Higgins already. Are we seriously going to risk losing a guy like Tee because we're looking to sign guys cheap?
Mixon was/is not worth $8 million a year.Higgins is not worth $21 million a year.Take that $29 million,and now you have enough money to sign JJ,and you have some left,to put towards extending Chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:41 AM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: Here's what I don't understand with the Mixon trade; how exactly did we get more 'explosive' in the running game with virtually the same oline that was weak at the point of attack last year?

That’s actually not it at all. We had an awful line when we went to the Super Bowl. The key to the Super Bowl is getting our defense back on point. We don’t need to score 35+ points a week. We need a defense that will hold teams to 23 or less.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:45 AM)bengalsboy Wrote: Mixon was/is not worth $8 million a year.Higgins is not worth $21 million a year.Take that $29 million,and now you have enough money to sign JJ,and  you have some left,to put towards extending Chase.

I hope you don't mean it will be under $30 mill APY to extend JJ, as he'll get north of $30 mill APY by whatever team signs him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We signed a some tier 3 FA, in positions that weren't top of our needs while leaving significant needs at positions we needed to double up on (T,OG,DT) or get a legit vet (CB).

Hard to spin this FA as a success. I get trying.

We can spin that M.G and Stone are better than their replacements, but that is only because their replacements sucked. They are not on the level of their predecessors we were trying to replace initially (Hurst/CJ/Bates).

We downgraded slightly at RB.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:19 PM)Billy_Bengal Wrote: I think you’re reaching here. I’d say so far it’s been fairly underwhelming especially considering our needs and cap space.

The DJ Reader situation is tricky...I hear he wont be even ready to suit up until maybe mid yr , yet they are severely lacking in good DTs at this point aside from BJ.
Now I hear DJ is visiting Detroit....and Bengals whiffed on signing DT Malcom Roach. I hope Rankins is landed today and then we draft a top run stuffer in 1st 2 rounds. 
Baltimore now has Henry, Cleve has Chubb and Pitt has Harris ..all 230 + lb backs which is AFC N football...meanwhile ZT signs 200 lb Zack Moss to pair with 205 lb Brown 
Did he forget what division he is in? 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:33 AM)kalibengal Wrote: The DJ Reader situation is tricky...I hear he wont be even ready to suit up until maybe mid yr , yet they are severely lacking in good DTs at this point aside from BJ.
Now I hear DJ is visiting Detroit....and Bengals whiffed on signing DT Malcom Roach. I hope Rankins is landed today and then we draft a top run stuffer in 1st 2 rounds. 
Baltimore now has Henry, Cleve has Chubb and Pitt has Harris ..all 230 + lb backs which is AFC N football...meanwhile ZT signs 200 lb Zack Moss to pair with 205 lb Brown 
Did he forget what division he is in? 

Do small backs not succeed in the AFCN? I'm willing to bet they do. Cincinnati will be fine, especially considering these guys are going to be a committee and not have a lead guy. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: We signed a some tier 3 FA, in positions that weren't top of our needs while leaving significant needs at positions we needed to double up on (T,OG,DT) or get a legit vet (CB).

Hard to spin this FA as a success. I get trying.

We can spin that M.G and Stone are better than their replacements, but that is only because their replacements sucked. They are not on the level of their predecessors we were trying to replace initially (Hurst/CJ/Bates).

We downgraded slightly at RB.

I don’t disagree that so far FA is a success because the two biggest needs not addressed RT & DT. But Stone though not a home run made us better. Gasecki the TE will be very good. He’s a matchup nightmare and will help negate the double coverage of Tee & Chase. Moss is a better fit than Mixon as he will be used more like Perine. Right now they’ve been sensible with allowing still a lot of capabilities managing the cap.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s actually not it at all. We had an awful line when we went to the Super Bowl. The key to the Super Bowl is getting our defense back on point. We don’t need to score 35+ points a week. We need a defense that will hold teams to 23 or less.

People are worth what someone will pay them. And with the cap going up nearly every year...the worth goes up too.

It's like inflation. 100k now is equivalent to like 87k 3-4 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 10:44 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t disagree that so far FA is a success because the two biggest needs not addressed RT & DT. But Stone though not a home run made us better. Gasecki the TE will be very good. He’s a matchup nightmare and will help negate the double coverage of Tee & Chase. Moss is a better fit than Mixon as he will be used more like Perine. Right now they’ve been sensible with allowing still a lot of capabilities managing the cap.

Our run defense was very bad last year. Stone is good against the pass and bad against the run.

I don't know how the improve against the run at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 11:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our run defense was very bad last year. Stone is good against the pass and bad against the run.

I don't know how the improve against the run at this point.

If your safeties are responsible for the success of your rush defense you are already bad. But you are right about Stone’s tackling and the run defense.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: This class does kind of feel similar in the tier and mold of people they are going after. Will be interesting to see how it works out. If we can grab an offensive tackle in that vet/redemption mold and a journeyman DT who has some promise (Shelby Harris/AsHawn Robinson) I'd be happy.

Shelby Harris was married at one of the resorts that I have been performing at for the last 7 years. I played a pool gig that included him, several other NFL players, and their women. Was a hoot! He's a big boy! Good dude.

The women were all smoking hot! Smoking hot!!  Rock On
Reply/Quote
Our FS is not the key to our run defense but rather helping to stop the flood of explosive pass plays which WAS the killer last season. And if Stone does indeed improve the communication and alignment that will help run by our other DBs and LBs not being out of position so often. Obviously we need an infusion in the IDL room and I expect it to be coming also.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Our FS is not the key to our run defense but rather helping to stop the flood of explosive pass plays which WAS the killer last season. And if Stone does indeed improve the communication and alignment that will help run by our other DBs and LBs not being out of position so often. Obviously we need an infusion in the IDL room and I expect it to be coming also.

Yeah, acting like our FS in Stone is going to be playing in the box all the time is just plain ignorant, not to mention Bates was never a
good tackler either but naturally the ones hating on Stone will conveniently ignore this fact. Battle will be the in box Safety who is a lot
like a bigger Vonn Bell. If we can add some DT's that can stop the run we will be much better against the run than adding another S
that is good against the run and bad in coverage.

That is the problem with a lot of the negatives on here, they have no solution and ignore the good things that could be the solutions. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s actually not it at all. We had an awful line when we went to the Super Bowl. The key to the Super Bowl is getting our defense back on point. We don’t need to score 35+ points a week. We need a defense that will hold teams to 23 or less.

Honestly though, the defense, for the most part, was on the field entirely too much because we couldn’t convert a third and short. Yes, we did go with a lousy line, but we also snuck up on teams that year - not the case anymore. 

No one is saying we have to win shootouts, but wouldn’t it be nice to drive the ball down teams throats when the clock is ticking down? Also, Burrow has played only 2 full seasons if memory serves. We paid him a ton, now we have to protect him. 
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 02:34 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: Honestly though, the defense, for the most part, was on the field entirely too much because we couldn’t convert a third and short. Yes, we did go with a lousy line, but we also snuck up on teams that year - not the case anymore. 

No one is saying we have to win shootouts, but wouldn’t it be nice to drive the ball down teams throats when the clock is ticking down? Also, Burrow has played only 2 full seasons if memory serves. We paid him a ton, now we have to protect him. 

Agree with this of course. Also would be nice to not have these freak accident injuries where our QB steps wrong and pulls his calf on a 
play that has nothing to do with the OL. Following this up with our QB not being able to play under Center which sabotages the OL and 
the run game with a RB that isn't good in short yardage anyways.

This was some bad stuff that happened to us last year. If we can add a decent bridge gap RT like Trent Brown or Becton while we add a
talented RT for the future in the Draft good things could happen.

I agree with Ell Prez on improving the Defense so we can hold Offenses to 23 points instead of last year's poor play, but like you said, 
our Defense was on the field a ton because of our poor Offense. These things affect each other. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, acting like our FS in Stone is going to be playing in the box all the time is just plain ignorant, not to mention Bates was never a
good tackler either but naturally the ones hating on Stone will conveniently ignore this fact. Battle will be the in box Safety who is a lot
like a bigger Vonn Bell. If we can add some DT's that can stop the run we will be much better against the run than adding another S
that is good against the run and bad in coverage.

That is the problem with a lot of the negatives on here, they have no solution and ignore the good things that could be the solutions. 

Agreed! Our freshly paid LBs sort of mailed it in last season. Contract years be coming around again, and soon. I expect that they will tackle better this season. Just a hunch  Smirk  If so, and I believe that they will, our FS's won't have to be making so many tackles this season to begin with. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 02:45 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agreed! Our freshly paid LBs sort of mailed it in last season. Contract years be coming around again, and soon. I expect that they will tackle better this season. Just a hunch  Smirk  If so, and I believe that they will, our FS's won't have to be making so many tackles this season to begin with. 

Logan was hurt too and you could see it. Poor DL play with hurt players in Hubbard and Wilson along with Pratt and his poor angles in 
tackling and holding players up and ripping at the ball along with poor communication was just a terrible combination last season. Our 
Linebackers in Logan and Germaine didn't just forget how to play football after getting those contracts.

It is clear though that Pratt is not a 3 down LB after last season. Which Stone helps us in this aspect as we can use our talented first 
round pick in Dax Hill on 3rd downs and as a Slot Corner at times preparing for Hilton's exit next year.

We don't know how much adding Geno Stone helped our Defense in adding an elite cover Free Safety. It could be drastically.
Reply/Quote