Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
This is the Worst Free Agency I've Ever Seen since Burrow was Drafted.
(03-14-2023, 05:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hearing about deals during the tampering period I think actually makes things worse for most fanbases.
If we didn't hear about deals until the league officially started tomorrow at 4 pm, we'd see a bunch of signings all at once.
Now, we see Day 1 go by and it's a net loss, so it's stressful/frustrating.
Day 2 is now a good amount of the way through and still no news of more signings.
How many more vets will come off the board without the Bengals making a move?

Bottom line - Fans get impatient because they get amped for this time of the offseason and want to see (the big) changes immediately.

For sure, this social media stuff is frustrating. If it was all a secret until Wednesday it would be better on all our psyches.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Hindsight tells me which lottery numbers to pick too but I still never seem to get them right when it counts.

It's not pure luck like the lottery though. It's the poor evaluation of talent, which the Bengals have demonstrated on multiple instances that they suck at when it comes to O linemen. 

How many times have we heard "there aren't any good linemne in this draft" only for there to be some bangers we missed out on?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not how I took that at all. It sounded more like they have a group of guys they are still confident can do well and now they just need to sort through the details (negotiations).

Dude sounded like he was grasping at straws... 

"There’s a handful of guys that I think we can work through and hopefully get one that fits us best."
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bottom line - Fans get impatient because they get amped for this time of the offseason and want to see (the big) changes immediately.

Free Agency should be an 8 hour event and make agents run table to table and spread them out like 20 yards. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dude sounded like he was grasping at straws... 

"There’s a handful of guys that I think we can work through and hopefully get one that fits us best."

I'm sure his preference was always "his guys" but I can tell you no team enters FA without back up options. The one caveat is if the market is not aligned with your projected prices. I actually think the market has been pretty soft and we may be surprised where we come out when it's said and done.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Free Agency should be an 8 hour event and make agents run table to table and spread them out like 20 yards. 

I think you just accidentally gave the XFL a new idea.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Free Agency should be an 8 hour event and make agents run table to table and spread them out like 20 yards. 

(03-14-2023, 05:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think you just accidentally gave the XFL a new idea.

Toss in some dodgeballs and paintball guns and I think that would be the greatest and most viewed free agency event of all time.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dude sounded like he was grasping at straws... 

Many fans have the Whitworth/Zeitler offseason, and the multi-year fallout,  in the back of their minds and that induces a level or panic that in reality isn't warranted in this situation. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:41 PM)NC_Bengals_Fan Wrote: Many fans have the Whitworth/Zeitler offseason, and the multi-year fallout,  in the back of their minds and that induces a level or panic that in reality isn't warranted in this situation. 

The Bengals are still in a multi-year fallout on O-line from that.  Last time the Bengals had a top 10 O-line, Whitworth and Zeitler were on it.  None since they left.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 05:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals are still in a multi-year fallout on O-line from that.  Last time the Bengals had a top 10 O-line, Whitworth and Zeitler were on it.  None since they left.

Lol...true 

Maybe the panic of losing both starting safeties is warranted afterall
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:01 PM)NC_Bengals_Fan Wrote: Lol...true 

Maybe the panic of losing both starting safeties is warranted afterall

It would be if we think we don't need a vet Safety and if Dax Hill just completely fell on his face like Ogbuehi did as an OL...

I have a hard time thinking both of these things happen.
Reply/Quote
Can we pin this thread? Absolute gold! Thumbs up to the creator and for everyone who contributed.

I’d like to thank the mods as well, without which this wouldn’t be possible.

I have never laughed so much reading a thread.

I rated the thread 5 stars. Great stuff!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:48 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Seriously.

How do we lose TWO starting safeties in day one, especially knowing that we're out of the market for one of them?

"We want to go younger" is just a euphemism for "we want to be cheap skates". Vonn Bell and Bates is what got us to the SB two years ago, LITERALLY. Look at that overtime interception.

If the Bengals decide to pay for one of the remaining good ones, it's STILL a downgrade. But I get a feeling that they're just fine with Tycen Anderson, which will be a disaster against the Bills and the Cheifs.

The Bengals can't afford to have its episodes of buttcheek offense anymore. The Defense won't be top 10 next season.

This feels a like more like a decline. The Bills and Cheifs addressed core issues day one. Bengals objectively are worse off.

I'd ask why your such a girl, but I don't want to insult girls. Everyone knew Bates was gone, they already drafted his replacement. Bell was the only surprise, and he got more money approaching 30 than the Bengals were willing to part with. I like Bell as much as the next guy, but the decision makes sense. And the FA's grabbed on day one are the one's usually overpaid by desperate teams. We re-signed Pratt, which hardly anyone saw coming. And, oooo , the Bills address needs on day 1, but yet they still have nothing for the Bengals when they hit the field.  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd ask why your such a girl, but I don't want to insult girls. Everyone knew Bates was gone, they already drafted his replacement. Bell was the only surprise, and he got more money approaching 30 than the Bengals were willing to part with. I like Bell as much as the next guy, but the decision makes sense. And the FA's grabbed on day one are the one's usually overpaid by desperate teams. We re-signed Pratt, which hardly anyone saw coming. And, oooo , the Bills address needs on day 1, but yet they still have nothing for the Bengals when they hit the field.  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

The Pratt deal was also a good one for the Bengals and there are lots of Safeties out there to be had that could be upgrades and 
are younger besides Poyer who is older. But Gardner-Johnson, Rapp, Julian Love, Thornhill are all younger and could be upgrades 
over Bell. Eluemunor is still out there and it looks like McGary's price is going down. 

We could end up in a great place after everything settles down, thanks to Pratt staying with a good deal and both S leaving.
Reply/Quote
Perine gone now too.

"We WaNt To kEEp our plAYERS"
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:02 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Perine gone now too.

Wanting to do something, and then actually doing it, are different things. We wanted to keep our guys........ at certain price point.

Paying Perine $4 mil a year was never gonna happen, and a $10 mil cap hit in year 2 & 3 for Bell, with $15 mil or so guaranteed is tough, though not impossible. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:16 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Wanting to do something, and then actually doing it, are different things. We wanted to keep our guys........ at certain price point.

Paying Perine $4 mil a year was never gonna happen, and a $10 mil cap hit in year 2 & 3 for Bell, with $15 mil or so guaranteed is tough, though not impossible. 

Seems like the NFL just wanted to poach our guys and knew we don't guarantee a lot of dough on contracts.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:02 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Perine gone now too.

Yeah Bengals are looking at 5 wins max this year for sure!

Relax and quit thinking they give out the Lombardi trophy in mid-March.
Chiefs lost their all pro wideout last year and everyone thought they were done but look what happened. If Burrows the guy we all think he is then they will be good for a decade.

The only young, impact player they’ve lost is Bates and they can’t afford him because they are lucky enough to have several other better/more important players they need to re-sign. Bell was a surprise and a good player but not at that age/$ combo. I loved Perine but no way can they pay him that money.
This is a product of the Bengals having a very talented roster so be happy and enjoy the great players that are going to be here for many years to come.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Seems like the NFL just wanted to poach our guys and knew we don't guarantee a lot of dough on contracts.

When you win...teams overvalue your guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 07:19 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Yeah Bengals are looking at 5 wins max this year for sure!

Relax and quit thinking they give out the Lombardi trophy in mid-March.
Chiefs lost their all pro wideout last year and everyone thought they were done but look what happened. If Burrows the guy we all think he is then they will be good for a decade.

The only young, impact player they’ve lost is Bates and they can’t afford him because they are lucky enough to have several other better/more important players they need to re-sign.  Bell was a surprise and a good player but not at that age/$ combo.  I loved Perine but no way can they pay him that money.
This is a product of the Bengals having a very talented roster so be happy and enjoy the great players that are going to be here for many years to come.

Great post. Feeling better now, thanks Clark lol

Honestly it is so early and like you said, the one guy we knew we were going to lose (Bates) was the one guy we couldn't afford and we 
have a lot of money to throw around at depth now with our great Pratt deal. Tremaine Edmunds was way overpaid and isn't as good of a 
tackler as Pratt. Wouldn't surprise me if we get some players after this is all said and done that are very talented and get to play for a Joe
Burrow lead SB contender.
Reply/Quote