Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This should make for an interesting circus
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/north-carolina-hb2-justice-department-deadline/index.html

good job gov, waste more time and money
People suck
Fewderal Government may be overstepping here. Under the law, transgender identity is not a protected class.

I look for the law to be changed, but right nw I think NC is within its rights to pass this law.
(05-09-2016, 04:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fewderal Government may be overstepping here. Under the law, transgender identity is not a protected class.

I look for the law to be changed, but right nw I think NC is within its rights to pass this law.

Haven't there been court cases where they have said that the trans community was protected, though, because of the discrimination based on sex? I can't remember if that was an actual case or if it was just an opinion I had read from some legal scholar.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-09-2016, 04:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Haven't there been court cases where they have said that the trans community was protected, though, because of the discrimination based on sex? I can't remember if that was an actual case or if it was just an opinion I had read from some legal scholar.

yeah i think the 4th circuit ruled it was protected technically
People suck
(05-09-2016, 05:01 PM)Griever Wrote: yeah i think the 4th circuit ruled it was protected technically

That's right, it was last month. Forgot all about that. The crux of it being that discrimination of the trans community is discrimination based on sex and so they are protected. 4th Circuit covers NC, so this will be interesting for sure. Since their law applies outside of just education situations this will be a test of how the previous ruling is applied in a more broad setting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Dear lord. Get out of NC's business.

Feds have no reason to meddle. This is beyond stupid and a waste of time and money.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/09/477316001/deadline-approaches-for-north-carolinas-response-on-lgbt-law

not shocking but the DOJ counter-sued
People suck
(05-10-2016, 10:33 AM)Griever Wrote: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/09/477316001/deadline-approaches-for-north-carolinas-response-on-lgbt-law

not shocking but the DOJ counter-sued

Soooo... we're going to spend millions (hundreds of millions?) suing ourselves and potentially costing that state billions in federal money, all because they needed a bogus bill they could get enough support on to pass the law preventing local districts from increasing minimum wages.

LOL

This is a golden example of why we need to completely do away with riders. An issue that didn't need "fixing," inspires hollow outrage among all the people completely unaffected by other people's bathroom habits, all so that the state and business owners could keep paying people $7.25.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-10-2016, 10:53 AM)Benton Wrote: Soooo... we're going to spend millions (hundreds of millions?) suing ourselves and potentially costing that state billions in federal money, all because they needed a bogus bill they could get enough support on to pass the law preventing local districts from increasing minimum wages.

LOL

This is a golden example of why we need to completely do away with riders. An issue that didn't need "fixing," inspires hollow outrage among all the people completely unaffected by other people's bathroom habits, all so that the state and business owners could keep paying people $7.25.

bingo

they added the bathroom stuff to take the brunt of the attention, so no one focuses on the really shitty stuff that is in the bill
People suck
What I have been told about this is sort of a combination of what Fred and matt have both said. Congress is not doing it's job. We are working of of legislation that is 52 years old and allowing the courts to determine the law, but in essiance they are making law. Congress needs to address the law.

That was thc basis of the decent on the SSM stance by SCOTUS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-10-2016, 12:13 PM)Ibfine32 Wrote: What I have been told about this is sort of a combination of what Fred and matt have both said. Congress is not doing it's job. We are working of of legislation that is 52 years old and allowing the courts to determine the law, but in essiance they are making law. Congress needs to address the law.

That was thc basis of the decent on the SSM stance by SCOTUS

We have a serious issue in the courts.  This needs to be stopped as a way to work around congress.    

Term limits for the Supreme Court is appropriate.    16-20 years is long enough.  
HB 1078

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Applications/BillLookUp/LoadBillDocument.aspx?SessionCode=2015&DocNum=7158&SeqNum=0

if pat is smart, he'll sign this, but i doubt he will
People suck
(05-11-2016, 01:29 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We have a serious issue in the courts.  This needs to be stopped as a way to work around congress.    

Term limits for the Supreme Court is appropriate.    16-20 years is long enough.  

Why stop with the Supreme Court?  Every member in Congress should have term limits.  8 years is long enough. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(05-17-2016, 01:01 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Why stop with the Supreme Court?  Every member in Congress should have term limits.  8 years is long enough. 

Agreed, but how about making the Supreme Court be an elected position? Considering that it's politicized and everyone already worries about the biases of those appointed, let's just add their positions to our elections (when necessary). I'm not gung ho in favor of this, but I do not like how politicized the SC has become. Instead of just focusing on the law and the constitutionality of enacted laws, now it's about liberal or conservative ideologies being enacted or maintained.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-11-2016, 01:29 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We have a serious issue in the courts.  This needs to be stopped as a way to work around congress.    

Actually the checks and balances in our system is what makes it work so well.
Term limits does nothing to solve any of the problems we have in our government right now. The system would still be messed up even with a higher turnover rate.

And if you do finally find a good elected official in public service she would be forced out by term limits.
(05-17-2016, 01:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Agreed, but how about making the Supreme Court be an elected position? 

Because you could end up with Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton as your presumptive Supreme Court Justice.

Mellow
(05-19-2016, 11:04 AM)Benton Wrote: Because you could end up with Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton as your presumptive Supreme Court Justice.

Mellow

And who says we haven't already? 
(05-19-2016, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: And who says we haven't already? 

As far as I know, every justice studied the law (I think you could say they all had law degrees as one of them received his later because he graduated early). There is no Constitutional requirement that a justice be a judge or a lawyer, but so far they have been. Which excludes Trumps.

If they were elected, it would be much easier to have someone with no legal experience, provided they can raise enough money to run for office.
(05-19-2016, 12:10 PM)Benton Wrote: As far as I know, every justice studied the law (I think you could say they all had law degrees as one of them received his later because he graduated early). There is no Constitutional requirement that a justice be a judge or a lawyer, but so far they have been. Which excludes Trumps.

If they were elected, it would be much easier to have someone with no legal experience, provided they can raise enough money to run for office.

You know there ARE stipulations for people running for elected office, right? For example, the president has to be a natural-born US citizen over the age of 35 (I think). Well, just add stipulations of having a law degree and/or have practiced law for so many years before being able to run for an open SC Justice position.