Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This why Mixon doesnt play on 3rd downs...
[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-09-20-at-12-11-04-PM.png]

A good breakdown of how discombobulated we are in the passing game right now, view the breakdown of this play here:

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1571920982411034624/vid/1280x720/oCkn1Yk0stEzvowX.mp4?tag=14

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: [Image: Screen-Shot-2022-09-20-at-12-11-04-PM.png]

A good breakdown of how discombobulated we are in the passing game right now, view the breakdown of this play here:

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1571920982411034624/vid/1280x720/oCkn1Yk0stEzvowX.mp4?tag=14
 Great analysis. Man, that was bad. But I do feel like they can clean up Mixon's blocking a bit. Also, dude was dead on when he said "this is open in the NFL." That should've been an easy completion.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:18 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote:  Great analysis. Man, that was bad. But I do feel like they can clean up Mixon's blocking a bit. Also, dude was dead on when he said "this is open in the NFL." That should've been an easy completion.

Geoff Schwartz, former lineman for the Giants, did a good job breaking this down.  He knows his stuff.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:18 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote:  Great analysis. Man, that was bad. But I do feel like they can clean up Mixon's blocking a bit. Also, dude was dead on when he said "this is open in the NFL." That should've been an easy completion.

He’s been a terrible blocker his entire time in the NFL, he’s not going to magically get better in year 6.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
We're a train wreck into a dumpster fire on offense right now. Sick

What the hell is Joe Mixon doing ? He seems lost. Volson dropping way to far back. Collins getting beat, all kinds of issues.

But even with all the screw ups Joe could have threw the ball twice. He's part of the problem as well.
Reply/Quote

I think Joe is in his head a little bit because he threw that interception last week when Boyd was also open like this in the middle of the field. He's just not sharp at the moment. 
Reply/Quote
Managed to block Jonah.

I continue to reiterate my many year line of "don't pay RBs unless they're Barry Sanders". Also that Mixon is vastly overrated.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Joe is in his head a little bit because he threw that interception last week when Boyd was also open like this in the middle of the field. He's just not sharp at the moment. 

Probably. Hopefully that's what it is, he's proven he comes back from similar situations (the Bears comes to mind even though it was a loss). I don't think anything gets in his head and stays there. It's probably a combination of the interceptions and the OL protection. 
Reply/Quote
Joe has to hit that middle field open throw. Two high shell - you have to attack the middle of the field.
Reply/Quote
The point about the guards getting into his lap I mentioned earlier this week. There is no pocket forming at all and even when they aren't blocking people they are setting back into Joe's lap not giving him room to actually step up and throw.

THE WHOLE LINE IS SCREWED UP.
Reply/Quote
Great breakdown, but I don't think it's just Mixon. I've seen many plays where a lineman seems to think they're getting help from a back or a tight end blocking or at least chipping on their way out and they actively avoid the contact like they're focused on getting out.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s been a terrible blocker his entire time in the NFL, he’s not going to magically get better in year 6.

Ah, I hadn't really followed him until 2020. Just doesn't seem like it's rocket science to NOT run into your left tackle on a passing play.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Managed to block Jonah.

I continue to reiterate my many year line of "don't pay RBs unless they're Barry Sanders". Also that Mixon is vastly overrated.

Yea, I agree. Dalvin Cook, Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Javonte Williams, Nick Chubb, D'Andre Swift, Johnathan Taylor, AJ Dillon and Antonio Gibson were drafted on day 2 in the drafts from 2017 to 2021, and Breece Hall, Kenneth Walker III, and James Cook went in the 2nd round this past year, with only a hand full of busts in between them, many of them being in the first round (due to higher expectations in some cases, like Josh Jacobs).

I'd personally rather spend a 2nd round pick every 3 to 4 years on a RB than give up 12M in cap space for 4 years to keep a non-complete player like Mixon.

(09-20-2022, 01:40 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Probably. Hopefully that's what it is, he's proven he comes back from similar situations (the Bears comes to mind even though it was a loss). I don't think anything gets in his head and stays there. It's probably a combination of the interceptions and the OL protection. 

I think he'll bounce back. He always does. I think the surgery is also affecting him. He doesn't have quite the zip on the ball that he had last year. His arm looks more like what it did in his rookie year. He will gain his strength back as the season goes on and we'll start seeing him squeeze balls into tight windows more often soon.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s been a terrible blocker his entire time in the NFL, he’s not going to magically get better in year 6.

I actually agree with this person
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s been a terrible blocker his entire time in the NFL, he’s not going to magically get better in year 6.

No doubt! I like Mixon but they paid a LOT of money for essentially a two-down back. His pass-pro is literally the ONLY thing holding him back from being a true 3down complete RB, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote

So it's kinda hard NOT to telegraph what we're doing based on personnel then. Maybe they should just let Mixon bounce if he can't be a three down back. Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We're a train wreck into a dumpster fire on offense right now.  Sick

What the hell is Joe Mixon doing ? He seems lost. Volson dropping way to far back. Collins getting beat, all kinds of issues.

But even with all the screw ups Joe could have threw the ball twice. He's part of the problem as well.

The thing is, you can give a little teeny tiny pass to LC and Volson for being new to the offense. Not Joe Mixon. He's been here from DAY ONE. That's just terrible.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Totally agree and wouldn't mind Evans getting a shot to do literally anything on game day. 

That said, as dumb as Mixon looked, I think this is as much or more of an indictment on Burrows play this year and how poorly the OL is either being taught or playing. Collins with crap technique, OL falling too far back, Burrow missing multiple throwing opportunities, and if Mixon is either blocking or running a route we potentially get a first because the LB who made the tackle is possibly cleared out since it's man coverage.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: The point about the guards getting into his lap I mentioned earlier this week. There is no pocket forming at all and even when they aren't blocking people they are setting back into Joe's lap not giving him room to actually step up and throw.

THE WHOLE LINE IS SCREWED UP.

Yep exactly.
It's good that the guards were able to keep between the defender and Burrow most of the time, but if they're going right back into Burrow to do it, it doesn't really leave a pocket for him to operate in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 02:10 PM)TheFan Wrote: Totally agree and wouldn't mind Evans getting a shot to do literally anything on game day. 

he's still getting outsnapped by Perine. Everyone needs to quit dreaming
Reply/Quote