Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts from the Bears game.
Just wanted to see what people thought of the game.

It was of course a much better performance than against the Buccs. Liked what I saw from Marvin Jones, Burkhead and McCarron on offense. On D I thought Atkins and Dunlap were as advertised, Chris Carter shone once again and Illoka did a good job in coverage.

Reply/Quote
Overall very good ! Nice rebound from last weeks embarrassment.

Carter is making a very strong case to make the 53

Gio made some decent plays good to see, I've been a little concerned. Nice to see MLJ back

Nice to see McCarron doing well, it's way early but he seems to have potential and then some.

The blocking, tackling, execution was way better and good to see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bears were beat up. Missing their top 4 receivers and several key players on D. We should have looked good and we did. Not really much of a test of our team, but if it builds some confidence...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:21 AM)EatonFan Wrote: The Bears were beat up.  Missing their top 4 receivers and several key players on D.  We should have looked good and we did.  Not really much of a test of our team, but if it builds some confidence...

Their D was essentially full strength as far as I could tell though. So that won't diminish the Bengals' offensive performance. The biggest defensive worry for me from the Tampa game was lazy tackling, last night was far better from everyone on the D in that respect.

Reply/Quote
Glad to see we were tackling well. There was no excuse for that last week. McCarron showed how a little fire can spark a team. We've been missing that. We don't get that from the head coach or the starting QB. I'm not on the "fire Andy" brigade yet, but he needs to step it up.
Reply/Quote
1. Jay Cutler is not going to like what he sees today.
2. John Fox is not going to like what he sees today.
3. Pass rush was there; coverage was good. Bengals' run D could stand to tighten up.
4. Obviously there's a faction of Bengaldom that might welcome a QB controversy. There isn't one, but try telling them!
5. Hue tipped a bit of his hand. Probably felt he had to.
6. Lots o' weapons on O, but Burkhead-Eifert feels new and looks sparkly. Marvin Jones, we missed you.
7. Peko and Bodine played better in their respective middles. Any infielder will tell ya that's where a strong defense begins.
8. Hill crossed the plane, dammit!
9. #49 is a bad, bad man.
10. Haven't seen Vontaze and MJ, plus no Sims last night. Nice to know they're in the back pocket, isn't it?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:10 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: 1. Jay Cutler is not going to like what he sees today.
3. Pass rush was there; coverage was good. Bengals' run D could stand to tighten up.
4. Obviously there's a faction of Bengaldom that might welcome a QB controversy. There isn't one, but try telling them!
6. Lots o' weapons on O, but Burkhead-Eifert feels new and looks sparkly. Marvin Jones, we missed you.
7. Peko and Bodine played better in their respective middles. Any infielder will tell ya that's where a strong defense begins.
10. Haven't seen Vontaze and MJ, plus no Sims last night. Nice to know they're in the back pocket, isn't it?

I think that when you do see those 3 on the field, the run defense will be formidable.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 09:32 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Their D was essentially full strength as far as I could tell though. So that won't diminish the Bengals' offensive performance. The biggest defensive worry for me from the Tampa game was lazy tackling, last night was far better from everyone on the D in that respect.

Nearly full-strength 30th ranked D running a vanilla scheme?  Ouch!  All the same, the Bengals looked far more competent than they did against the mighty Bucs.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that when you do see those 3 on the field, the run defense will be formidable.

Right on! I do prefer Pat Sims to Devon Still...with all due apologies to last year's feel-good story. 

And how can Paulie not keep Chris Carter? I'd have to wave bye to...whom? Maybe keep one fewer DB? Cut Troy Hill, see if he clears waivers? 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that when you do see those 3 on the field, the run defense will be formidable.

I sure hope so.  Our D at top form and with our O being fully healthy, you have to like our chances.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:30 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: Right on! I do prefer Pat Sims to Devon Still...with all due apologies to last year's feel-good story. 

And how can Paulie not keep Chris Carter? I'd have to wave bye to...whom? Maybe keep one fewer DB? Cut Troy Hill, see if he clears waivers? 

Flowers.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:32 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Flowers.

Ha ha! Ouch! I didn't even have him on my "53-Man Prediction." Figured PJ Dawson already bumped him. 
Reply/Quote
I didn't get to see the game, hopefully will get to on NFL Rewind, but it sounds like we looked a heck of a lot better. Glad to see we looked better than last week. Hopefully things are starting to come together and we continue to gather steam.

It's good to see that Carter looked good again. I hope he makes the team and can provide that something extra that can get us some pressure and sacks.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:32 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Flowers.
Flowers or Lamur?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Just as this team has the last 4 years going to play-offs, it bounced back. NO QUIT after the Tampa game. I LIKE THAT, the NO QUIT.......We have needed depth at QB for some years now, and McCarron healthy now and getting his reps in is great to see. It is not a QB controversy because every position needs depth in case of injuries, as Ohio State proved at QB last year......Burkhead was used in many ways and with him being able to line up as a RB or a receiver, Eifert able to line up as a tight end or WR, Sanu able to throw a bomb on an end run, we have the RAZZLE DAZZLE.....but we also have Hill, the big back Paul Brown always had in Motley, Jim Brown. Pete Johnson, Ickey and others. So we can play smash mouth football......but glad to see both QBs looking good last night and all the weapons on offense. The 21 to 0 start was a good effort by both offense and defense.....and I love the NO QUIT this team has shown since after the awful 2010 season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:43 AM)McC Wrote: Flowers or Lamur?

I think it is going to be a tough decision.  I'm glad it is looking that way instead of an easy decision.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:30 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: And how can Paulie not keep Chris Carter? I'd have to wave bye to...whom?

With Burkhead shining as a slot WR, the Bengals could afford to keep one less from the WR group. Burkhead's versatility means we could keep another LB...or decide some other back end roster position later when Burfict comes off the injured list. With a thin LB corps, I would like to see the cut come from some other group.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 10:10 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: 1. Jay Cutler is not going to like what he sees today.

Agree with most of these but would add Carter played solid again, Fisher looked horrible and got abused (could be because his first game), Hunt didn't really seem to do much, maybe one play where he was in on it, and Still just doesn't have it.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 11:16 AM)Beaker Wrote: With Burkhead shining as a slot WR, the Bengals could afford to keep one less from the WR group. Burkhead's versatility means we could keep another LB...or decide some other back end roster position later when Burfict comes off the injured list. With a thin LB corps, I would like to see the cut come from some other group.

Yeah, that's the way I was thinking.  Go with one less WR to start and we can make adjustments later if we need to do so.

Reply/Quote
Hunt has the potential and his draft stock probably buys him one more year making the team to show that potential.

The guy they have to find a spot for is Carter. He can really get after the QB but you wonder what else he offers besides 3rd down. He'd have to supplant someone on teams to make it, but it might just be worth the risk - especially after our abysmal pass rush last year. That can really change the outcome of a game, not only sacks but QB fumbles, hurries, etc.
Reply/Quote