Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three US soldiers killed and up to 34 injured in drone attack.
Thoughts?

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-says-three-us-service-members-killed-drone-attack-us-forces-jordan-2024-01-28/

Quote:Three US troops killed, up to 34 injured in Jordan drone strike linked to Iran

By Phil Stewart, Steve Holland and Idrees Ali
January 28, 20241:01 PM CSTUpdated 21 min ago.

WASHINGTON, Jan 28 (Reuters) - Three U.S. service members were killed and dozens wounded during an unmanned aerial drone attack on U.S. forces stationed in northeastern Jordan near the Syrian border, President Joe Biden and U.S. officials said on Sunday.

Biden blamed Iran-backed groups for the attack, the first deadly strike against U.S. forces since the Israel-Hamas war erupted in October and sent shock waves throughout the Middle East.

"While we are still gathering the facts of this attack, we know it was carried out by radical Iran-backed militant groups operating in Syria and Iraq," Biden said in a statement.

At least 34 personnel were being evaluated for possible traumatic brain injury, a U.S. official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity. Two different officials said some wounded U.S. forces were medically evacuated from the base for further treatment.

Two U.S. officials said the drone struck near the barracks early in the morning, which could explain the high number of casualties.

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella organization of hardline Iran-backed militant groups, claimed attacks on three bases, including one on the Jordan-Syria border.
The attack is a major escalation of the already tense situation in the Middle East, where war broke out in Gaza after Palestinian Islamist group Hamas' attack on Israel on Oct. 7 which killed 1,200. Israel's subsequent assault on Gaza has killed over 26,000 Palestinians, according to the local health ministry.

Since then, U.S. forces have come under attack more than 150 times by Iran-backed groups in Iraq and Syria, causing at least 70 casualties prior to Sunday's attack, most of them traumatic brain injuries. U.S. warships have also been fired at by Iran-backed Houthi forces in Yemen, who are regularly attacking commercial ships passing through Red Sea waters off Yemen's coast.

While the United States has thus far maintained an official line that Washington is not at war in the region, it has been retaliating against the Iran-backed groups in Iraq and Syria and carrying out strikes against Yemen's Houthi military capabilities.

"We will carry on their commitment to fight terrorism. And have no doubt - we will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner of our choosing," Biden said in his statement released by the White House.

BIDEN PRESSURED ON IRAN

Republican opponents of Biden seized on the attack as evidence of the Democratic president's failure to confront Iran as its proxies strike against U.S. forces across the region.

"The only answer to these attacks must be devastating military retaliation against Iran’s terrorist forces ... Anything less will confirm Joe Biden as a coward," said Republican Senator Tom Cotton in a statement.

A senior official with the Iran-backed Palestinian militant group Hamas, Sami Abu Zuhri, directly tied the attack to Israel's campaign in Gaza.

"The killing of three American soldiers is a message to the U.S. administration that unless the killing of innocents in Gaza stops, it must confront the entire nation," he told Reuters.

"The continued American-Zionist aggression on Gaza is capable of exploding the situation in the region."
The U.S. military said the attack occurred at a base in northeastern Jordan, near the Syrian border. It did not name the base. U.S. military activity in Jordan can be a sensitive issue, particularly at a time of heightened tensions of the Israel-Hamas conflict.

A person familiar with the matter identified the U.S. base in Jordan that was attacked as Tower 22.

A Jordanian government spokesman told state TV that the militants targeted a different base, outside Jordanian territory.

There has been increasing concern in Jordan about the war spreading. Late last year, Amman asked Washington to deploy Patriot air defense systems to bolster its border defense.

It has requested more aid to tackle drones used in a raging multibillion-dollar drug war along the border with Syria, which Amman blames on pro-Iranian militias who hold sway in southern Syria.

The kingdom has hundreds of U.S. trainers in the country and holds extensive exercises with U.S. troops throughout the year."
Reply/Quote
What's interesting is Reuters cuts out part of Senator Tom Cotton's quote. In the Reueters article he's quoted as saying,"The only answer to these attacks must be devastating military retaliation against Iran’s terrorist forces ... Anything less will confirm Joe Biden as a coward," said Republican Senator Tom Cotton in a statement."

But what he actually said in full was, “The only answer to these attacks must be devastating military retaliation against Iran’s terrorist forces, both in Iran and across the Middle East. Anything less will confirm Joe Biden as a coward unworthy of being commander in chief".

That's a significantly different quote.
Reply/Quote
“I’ve already delivered the message to Iran. They know not to do anything.” -Joe Biden two weeks ago.
Reply/Quote
Most likely response? Some sanctions on people in Iran and increased interdiction of Iranian ships suspected of smuggling weapons. A large portion of our Navy is already over in that region so it's the quickest response.

Don't see them doing anything stronger and more decisive/riskier. Maybe also putting a defense system in Jordan.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 06:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Most likely response? Some sanctions on people in Iran and increased interdiction of Iranian ships suspected of smuggling weapons. A large portion of our Navy is already over in that region so it's the quickest response.

Don't see them doing anything stronger and more decisive/riskier. Maybe also putting a defense system in Jordan.

This is one of those decisions you dread having to make as POTUS.

But seems like Iran has been testing most every POTUS in this regard.  Didn't Clinton lob some missiles in there?  Seems like Trump did as well, when a lot of people thought his response was provocative.  I think Obama had to make a similar call, too.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 04:45 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: What's interesting is Reuters cuts out part of Senator Tom Cotton's quote. In the Reueters article he's quoted as saying,"The only answer to these attacks must be devastating military retaliation against Iran’s terrorist forces ... Anything less will confirm Joe Biden as a coward," said Republican Senator Tom Cotton in a statement."

But what he actually said in full was, “The only answer to these attacks must be devastating military retaliation against Iran’s terrorist forces, both in Iran and across the Middle East. Anything less will confirm Joe Biden as a coward unworthy of being commander in chief".

That's a significantly different quote.

Other than the degree/span of response, it doesn't seem that different to me.  They didn't cut that many words, which makes it an interesting editorial choice, but seems like the takeaway there is the over-the-top hyperbole from Cotton.

It gives Cotton and the Repubs the range to criticize most any other response from Biden as "cowardly" or "not enough".

Pretty pathetic on the part of Cotton.  This is a very serious escalation and neither the time nor place for Cotton to undermine Biden in the name of politics.

On the other hand, it could actually be a coordinated response to become an important messaging that a severe smackdown is on the table.  Only a Republican could deliver that, which makes a very real threat of potential escalation beyond what Biden actually does to make Iran get in line.  But I have little faith there still exists that level of bipartisanship for that to actually be the case.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
Iran backed group based in Iraq launches attack on US troops in Jordan along the Syrian border because of Israel fighting with Hamas in Palestine. JFC what a cluster.

If we know the location where the drone launched from I expect it to get blown up.

I would like to see congressional authorization before a wide scale retaliation. Preferably something kept secret if a wide scale response where we hit forces in multiple countries is what is deemed necessary.
Reply/Quote
Biden will respond proportionally and logically

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 07:14 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Other than the degree/span of response, it doesn't seem that different to me.  They didn't cut that many words, which makes it an interesting editorial choice, but seems like the takeaway there is the over-the-top hyperbole from Cotton.

It gives Cotton and the Repubs the range to criticize most any other response from Biden as "cowardly" or "not enough".

Pretty pathetic on the part of Cotton.  This is a very serious escalation and neither the time nor place for Cotton to undermine Biden in the name of politics.

On the other hand, it could actually be a coordinated response to become an important messaging that a severe smackdown is on the table.  Only a Republican could deliver that, which makes a very real threat of potential escalation beyond what Biden actually does to make Iran get in line.  But I have little faith there still exists that level of bipartisanship for that to actually be the case.

Yes, but the degree/span of the response is the biggest difference.

He's directly calling for us to strike within Iranian territory, which would be seen as an escalation in an already tense situation. The Reuters edit makes it sound like a "general" response.
Reply/Quote
Nikki Haley called for the 'full might of the American military" Gotta wonder what part the nuclear arsenal would play as part of the "fill might"

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 06:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Most likely response? Some sanctions on people in Iran and increased interdiction of Iranian ships suspected of smuggling weapons. A large portion of our Navy is already over in that region so it's the quickest response.

Well I think where things get more interesting here is the Red Sea situation. The Houthi terrorist attacks in the Red Sea are disrupting global trade and we have already seen an increase in tensions there. Iran has been vocal about our military strikes against the Houthis, warning that it could potentially escalate the middle east into all out war. I actually have personally seen the effect the Red Sea situation is having as the company I work for has seen a severe shortage in shipping containers due to the situation.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 04:34 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Thoughts?

https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-says-three-us-service-members-killed-drone-attack-us-forces-jordan-2024-01-28/

My thoughts are that "linked to Iran" and "Iran backed" are pretty vague, 

and reminiscent of Bush II era ramp-up for the Iraq invasion.

Tom Cotton may be the worst geopolitical strategist MAGA has to offer, outside of Trump himself.

I'm generally skeptical of Fox-style accounts that make Iran the strategic center of all ME conflict,

much as the old USSR was used to explain the rise of colonial independence movements after WWII.

Iranian control over proxies is quite varied and generally exaggerated, as the proxies have their own

interests/motivations/goals and don't consider themselves "proxies."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 04:34 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Thoughts?

Prayers those who make the ultimate sacrifice for our country and for their families as well as those injured. Sadly, our POTUS is the commander and chief and ignored hundreds of attacks (warnings) to get us to today. Joe Biden and his Democratic leadership have a lot of blood on their hands of US soldiers.

Just a very sad day for America.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 08:25 PM)Dill Wrote: My thoughts are that "linked to Iran" and "Iran backed" are pretty vague, 

and reminiscent of Bush II era ramp-up for the Iraq invasion.

Tom Cotton may be the worst geopolitical strategist MAGA has to offer, outside of Trump himself.

I'm generally skeptical of Fox-style accounts that make Iran the strategic center of all ME conflict,

much as the old USSR was used to explain the rise of colonial independence movements after WWII.

Iranian control over proxies is quite varied and generally exaggerated, as the proxies have their own

interests/motivations/goals and don't consider themselves "proxies."

I guess you have missed the numerous warnings Joe Biden, John Kirby and others have issued directly to Iran. This has nothing to do with Fox News, it has everything to do with Joe Biden and Democrats foreign policy.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 07:57 PM)pally Wrote: Biden will respond proportionally and logically

Seriously, if it was your mother, fathers, brother, sister, husband, wife of close who died to day, would you make the same comment?

Please tell how his prior logical and proportionally responses deterred or stopped today's major attack on our troops?

Do you really trust hi and his horrible removal of service members and billions of dollars in equipment in Afghanistan?

I feel everyone has the right to be very concerned on the Joe Biden policy. I don't want another war, but Biden's perceived weakness to the rest of the world may get us into another war. 

Reply/Quote
https://www.iranintl.com/en/202401131943

It appears Biden's message to Iran was ignored.

Message Delivered To Iran, Biden Says After Strikes On Houthis
Saturday, 01/13/2024

President Joe Biden issued a veiled threat to Iran on Friday, hours after the US and Britain struck at dozens of Iran-backed Houthi sites in Yemen.

The strike on Houthis Thursday night came after the group shrugged off all warnings and demands to stop attacking vessels in the Red Sea. There were more strikes Friday night, albeit on a much smaller scale, according to US officials.

Five people were killed and six injured in the earlier overnight operation that President Biden said aimed to degenerate the Houthis’ capability to launch more attacks in the Red Sea.

“I don’t think there’s any civilian casualties,” Biden said defending the Friday strikes conducted by warplanes, US Navy destroyers and even submarines, “that’s another reason why it’s a success.”

Asked by a reporter if he had a message for Iran in the light of the attack, Biden said “I've already delivered the message to Iran. They know not to do anything."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 10:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I feel everyone has the right to be very concerned on the Joe Biden policy. I don't want another war, but Biden's perceived weakness to the rest of the world may get us into another war. 

What's your solution bud?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 11:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What's your solution bud?

Luckily for him his solution is to cast a vote for someone to navigate a solution.

Unluckily for him, the guy who most of America cast their vote for thinks he’s negotiating the solution with an umbrella leaning in the corner of the entry of the front door. Or the nearest house plant.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 11:55 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Luckily for him his solution is to cast a vote for someone to navigate a solution.

Unluckily for him, the guy who most of America cast their vote for thinks he’s negotiating the solution with an umbrella leaning in the corner of the entry of the front door. Or the nearest house plant.

I'm not a fan of blind hatred partisan political attacks after American troops are killed. We are on the same team. I would be more receptive to it if there was a valid criticism. That's why I ask.

He says we should all be worried about Biden's policy and perceived weakness.

What should we change? Turn on Israel? Open fire and put troops on the ground in multiple countries? Nuke everybody? 

Or is the argument. Only one man can fix this. And we know who that is. And that is a load of shit.
Reply/Quote
It's not every day you see a bipartisan group of elected political extremists with names like Ilhan Omar, MTG, Paul Gosar, and Cori Bush being a handful of people agreeing on something.
Something like this letter from two days ago which is urging the POTUS to get congressional authorization before making military strikes.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24377843-congress-letter-to-president-biden

So will the speaker of the house be bringing a declaration of war to the floor tomorrow? I doubt it.
Reply/Quote