Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a Philosophy Change on Defense - LB
On defense, it seems like the Bengals try to build a team to compete with the mid-2000's Steelers.

We draft and sign big, plodding LBs who are slow and powerful and can't cover a TE. Even guys that we've drafted like Vigil who were smaller have had bad 40 times.

It's time to get smaller guys who can run and cover. That's the way the league is going. Maybe even play a Safety at LB who can run and cover.

In free agency, we need to target guys like Denzel Perryman, Kwon Alexander, Deone Buchanon (who was a safety).

No more big and slow guys.
Reply/Quote
We draft LBers?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We draft LBers?

Usually in the 3rd Round or lower...most never see the field.
Reply/Quote
You could time these guys’ 40 yard dashes with a sundial. No player on the Cincinnati defense is fast enough.
Reply/Quote
They're going to have to go out and get a top shelf coverage LB in free agency if they expect to have any prayer next season.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They're going to have to go out and get a top shelf coverage LB in free agency if they expect to have any prayer next season.

Or draft one in the 1st or 2nd. I’m tired of ignoring the position.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They're going to have to go out and get a top shelf coverage LB in free agency if they expect to have any prayer next season.

We'll settle for a slow guy on a 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or draft one in the 1st or 2nd. I’m tired of ignoring the position.

With our huge need on the offensive line...it's going to be hard to take a LB there. But, we desperately need some.

Shaq Quarterman would look good here.
Reply/Quote
Be nice to get that one linebacker thats superfast. Hes going to be a stud.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With our huge need on the offensive line...it's going to be hard to take a LB there. But, we desperately need some.

Shaq Quarterman would look good here.

Our LBers are worse than our Oline. The Oline is not historically bad.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our LBers are worse than our Oline. The Oline is not historically bad.

I would agree with that.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll settle for a slow guy on a 1 year deal.

Oh yes, a former pro bowler coming back for his 12th season after recovering from knee surgery. Hobspin will pump it up as the 2nd coming of Dick Butkus and he'll go on the IR after week 4.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:16 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You could time these guys’ 40 yard dashes with a sundial. No player on the Cincinnati defense is fast enough.

You're too generous. I was going to say they could be timed with a calendar.  Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or draft one in the 1st or 2nd. I’m tired of ignoring the position.

Both because we'll need at least 2
Reply/Quote

It's absolutely baffling why they haven't gotten a legit guy in the 1st round of the draft at any point in the last decade (plus?).

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our LBers are worse than our Oline. The Oline is not historically bad.

Yep. I'd say LB is a much bigger need.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's absolutely baffling why they haven't gotten a legit guy in the 1st round of the draft at any point in the last decade (plus?).

Must not have been any legit guys with major injuries in their last season of college ball for us to draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. I'd say LB is a much bigger need.

I don't know about much bigger ? We need major help in both position groups. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Must not have been any legit guys with major injuries in their last season of college ball for us to draft.

Couldn't find any gems that didn't play HS football and walked on for their senior season and only had 8 or fewer starts in college. Guy with a boat load of potential, ya know ? 

Ninja
Reply/Quote
I would be disappointed in M Jefferson, but I have no idea what's going on with this guy. Is he really that bad to not see the field with our LB's playing historically bad or are the coaches just not playing him for whatever reason. I heard his name today for the first time on ST. I was stoked when we drafted him. Damn
Reply/Quote