Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Time to disown Carson Palmer
(02-04-2020, 04:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To each his own, but I don't see that.  I just see Palmer agreeing with the media narrative that playing for the Bengals is essentially setting your NFL career on "HARD MODE."  Clearly the media is going to push the "Bengals will wreck Burrow" narrative regardless of what Palmer says, though.  

Just the fact that we can classify and categorize how decades worth of disgruntled former players go about demanding trades and airing complaints about Mike Brown is telling in itself.  We are currently on good terms with Boomer because he demanded a trade in a more diplomatic manner than Carson.  Oy, the bar...is low.  We rank players by the manners by which they wanted out rather than the number of SBs won.  Life as a Bengals fan is an interesting one.

Sorry, Shake's right here.

The media is doing this because it gives them fuel to burn and stories to write.

Willie could come out and say something, WHITWORTH COULD ******* AIR OUT THE LAUNDRY THAT ONLY HIS WIFE HAS ALLUDED TO, Dillion could re-open old wounds, Pickens, Spikes, Shaun Rogers, Sapp, Jonathan joseph, the list goes on and on of people who have dealt with the organization, who could take the Carsone route and give the media even more fuel to throw on the organization...

But they're all staying tight-lipped, for one of three reasons:

1. They're over it
2. They're mature
3. They have more important things going on in their life, than to go to the media, AT THIS SPECIFIC TIME, for the sole purpose of dragging your former employer through the mud.

Or all three reasons, for that matter.

You, I and the entire (sane part of the) Bengals fanbase has 0 issues with what he is saying, but the timing of it and the fact that he's going out of his way to do it, is beyond petty and douchbaggish.

You can't defend or justify the motive either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(02-04-2020, 05:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You can't defend or justify the motive either.

I can defend it in the sense that I agree with what he is saying and he should be allowed to answer honestly when asked about it.  My issue is that people are concluding that Palmer hates Dalton and Burrow or that he's trying to talk Burrow out of signing with the Bengals.  Hell, if anything Burrow seems like the kind of guy who would rather play for a team that "Can't win" so Palmer is probably helping lock the guy in for decades.

I just don't see why people expect Carson Palmer to respond to every comment about the Bengals with "No comment" since he's retired and can do what he wants now.  You don't have to like it, but conclusions that he's trying to destroy the Bengals seem a bit on the "please make us victims" side of things.  Just my take.
(02-04-2020, 05:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But they're all staying tight-lipped, for one of three reasons:

1. They're over it
2. They're mature
3. They have more important things going on in their life, than to go to the media, AT THIS SPECIFIC TIME, for the sole purpose of dragging your former employer through the mud.
You can't defend or justify the motive either.

The media is not running to all of those guys because none of them were the last QB taken by the Bengals with the #1 pick in the draft.

Carson is not calling up the media.  They are contacting him because of the connection between him and Burrow both being QBs taken #1 by the Bengals.

And honestly Carson's comments are a lot more restrained than many of the members here.

Where are all the guys who are constantly squealing about how none of the local media will ask Mike or any member of the front office "tough questions"?  They are always calling for more public attention being focused on Mike Browns failures.  Now they say non one is allowed to say anything bad about the Bengals because it might scare Burrow away.
(02-04-2020, 07:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The media is not running to all of those guys because none of them were the last QB taken by the Bengals with the #1 pick in the draft.

Carson is not calling up the media.  They are contacting him because of the connection between him and Burrow both being QBs taken #1 by the Bengals.

And honestly Carson's comments are a lot more restrained than many of the members here.

Where are all the guys who are constantly squealing about how none of the local media will ask Mike or any member of the front office "tough questions"?  They are always calling for more public attention being focused on Mike Browns failures.  Now they say non one is allowed to say anything bad about the Bengals because it might scare Burrow away.

Exactly. I don't understand the critisicm. He is very relevant to the situation and is saying what we all know is true. No one is defending Brown they are just getting off to "being offended". It's so weird.
(02-04-2020, 07:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can defend it in the sense that I agree with what he is saying and he should be allowed to answer honestly when asked about it.  My issue is that people are concluding that Palmer hates Dalton and Burrow or that he's trying to talk Burrow out of signing with the Bengals.  Hell, if anything Burrow seems like the kind of guy who would rather play for a team that "Can't win" so Palmer is probably helping lock the guy in for decades.

I just don't see why people expect Carson Palmer to respond to every comment about the Bengals with "No comment" since he's retired and can do what he wants now.  You don't have to like it, but conclusions that he's trying to destroy the Bengals seem a bit on the "please make us victims" side of things.  Just my take.

(02-04-2020, 07:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The media is not running to all of those guys because none of them were the last QB taken by the Bengals with the #1 pick in the draft.

(02-05-2020, 12:11 AM)cj1895 Wrote: Exactly. I don't understand the critisicm. He is very relevant to the situation and is saying what we all know is true. No one is defending Brown they are just getting off to "being offended". It's so weird.

Nately's got it, the latter two do not.

Again, I have absolutely no issue with WHAT he is saying, it's merely the timing of it.

I get Fred's point though, about the fact that he was in the same position, etc. But things are different now than in 2003; who knows how everything could turn out?

Hell, 2011 was different than 2003 and things are definitely not the same as 2011, now.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(02-04-2020, 03:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Weren’t you the one to have claimed to know the real behind the scenes story back when it happened?

WhoDey2
                    I was and I do... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Carson is easily the most relevant guy to ask about the situation because he was the last #1 overall pick for the team, played QB, and is well versed in Mike Brown’s pathetic miserliness. The homers all want to rip Palmer, but Carson is speaking the truth we all know. The team will always be handicapped with Mike Brown as principal owner and GM.

The primary goal of the organization is to employ family members, limit overhead expenditures, and turn a yearly profit. Winning is and has been a secondary pursuit, as evidenced by Mike’s record since taking over. Sensible changes (e.g. hiring actual football minds in the front office, increasing the scouting department, upgrading facilities, utilizing free agency) that would increase team success are looked upon as anathema by the braintrust. Shooting the messenger does not change the fact that the Bengals have the most inept ownership in the NFL, and with the possible exception of the Dolans, in all of major US sports.

https://apple.news/A0wAqe4tgS1iecK0ifbyF0A
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
(02-05-2020, 10:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Nately's got it, the latter two do not.

Again, I have absolutely no issue with WHAT he is saying, it's merely the timing of it.

I get Fred's point though, about the fact that he was in the same position, etc. But things are different now than in 2003; who knows how everything could turn out?

Hell, 2011 was different than 2003 and things are definitely not the same as 2011, now.

How are things really different though?

As currently constructed the Bengals are a bottom 5 team and organization, same as when they drafted Palmer. Ownership is a running joke across the league, same as before. Ownership is stuck in pre-free agency NFL
mode, has an owner/GM unwilling to adapt, and tries to nickel and dime their way to success, same as before.

Sure, we have almost 20 years of football played since Palmer was drafted, but the issues facing the team then are virtually the same as now. The coaching staff is arguably far worse than then, and the team still has zero Playoff success. It is entirely reasonable to expect former players to have opinions, and to speak truth to the ineptitude of team ownership. It’s also reasonable to wonder if the potential #1 selection knows all of this and has reservations on signing here. That sucks to say, but why wouldn’t a guy like Burrow wonder about Mike’s commitment to winning? We have 30 years of evidence showing Mike doesn’t seem to value winning above all else.
Through 2023

(02-06-2020, 03:02 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2
                    I was and I do... 

Yeah, and you were going to tell us all about it later. That was more disappointing than the series finale of Lost.
(02-06-2020, 09:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, and you were going to tell us all about it later. That was more disappointing than the series finale of Lost.

I assumed Palmer was upset that Marvin didn't uphold his end of the post 2010 holdout/demand but after Marvin retired Palmer spoke quite highly of him so it seems like it was all MB.  The other players who wanted out cited the Brown family and their adherence to not caring, so it seems simple enough. 
(02-06-2020, 09:37 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I assumed Palmer was upset that Marvin didn't uphold his end of the post 2010 holdout/demand but after Marvin retired Palmer spoke quite highly of him so it seems like it was all MB.  The other players who wanted out cited the Brown family and their adherence to not caring, so it seems simple enough. 

I agree. I was commenting more on the behind the scenes story that never was.
(02-06-2020, 09:41 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree. I was commenting more on the behind the scenes story that never was.

Yup, the whole thing seems so simple I can't imagine any sort of palace intrigue is necessary.  Owner/GM doesn't try to win, players over the course of his 30 year span get jaded and fatigued and want out.
(02-06-2020, 09:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, and you were going to tell us all about it later. That was more disappointing than the series finale of Lost.

WhoDey2 What are you talking about? I haven't said anything it at all about what went on or why he left. What's disappointing?  

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Anyone see Solomon Wilcot's interview essentially backing up what Palmer said?

"Better send those refunds..."

This makes me furious. Why do Lions Browns Raiders Chargers Skins get a pass. Hell the Chiefs the SB champs had a player commit suicide with a loaded gun in front of Reid and the GM I believe
(02-06-2020, 11:03 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Anyone see Solomon Wilcot's interview essentially backing up what Palmer said?

I linked to it above. Just one more data point in the the common thread of former players talking about how inept the ownership/front office is. The best shot this team has of sustained success is the Brown family selling to someone committed to winning. Problem is, they’d probably commit to winning in London or somewhere else.
Through 2023

(02-06-2020, 10:59 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 What are you talking about? I haven't said anything it at all about what went on or why he left. What's disappointing?  

Exactly my point. You know everything. Yet, say nothing . . . except to say you know everything.
(02-06-2020, 11:57 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: This makes me furious. Why do Lions Browns Raiders Chargers Skins get a pass. Hell the Chiefs the SB champs had a player commit suicide with a loaded gun in front of Reid and the GM I believe

In what universe do you live where the Lions, Browns, and Skins get any sort of pass?  I'll maybe give the Browns a bit of a "wait and see" sort of pass because they have a tendency to change coaches and GMs and even owners enough that something new MIGHT work, but the Skins and Bengals and Lions are all long-term punching bags due to stagnant and pain in the ass owners.
(02-06-2020, 02:12 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Exactly my point. You know everything. Yet, say nothing . . . except to say you know everything.

WhoDey2  I've never intended to write down everything in a thread. I'll answer any and all questions anybody has. However, I prefer to do it in a private message.

If anybody has questions PM me. Have patience though, because I'm leaving tonight (2/6) for FL and a cruise. I will answer any and all questions up until I leave tonight. Otherwise, see you on (2/15)... 

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

(02-06-2020, 05:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In what universe do you live where the Lions, Browns, and Skins get any sort of pass?  I'll maybe give the Browns a bit of a "wait and see" sort of pass because they have a tendency to change coaches and GMs and even owners enough that something new MIGHT work, but the Skins and Bengals and Lions are all long-term punching bags due to stagnant and pain in the ass owners.

It's just the media narrative that we are the worst in NFL even all professional sports just pointing out stiff competition. We have even our own fans saying this. if their was a bracket ncaa tournament style with all 32 teems seeded for most inept NFL franchises we are not even a 1 seed