Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Time to disown Carson Palmer
(02-03-2020, 11:50 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I noticed that Palmer never publicly made negative comments about the organization during Marvin's tenure.  After the regime change he has made a number of comments.  Many people at the time of his exit stated it must have been because Lewis was retained, but rather it seems he refused to say things that could endanger Marvin getting talent to come here.  Now that the last links are gone he is more than willing to spill the beans.

As if MB being a cheap and lazy owner is breaking news. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-03-2020, 04:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Making a prediction while working in the media is quite different than actively trying to get in the head of a Bengals would-be franchise QB and alter the course of this team. What Boomer did was his job as an analyst. What CP is doing is sabotage.

CP is doing interviews asking about the organization.  It's not like he is calling pressers to stand at the podium and say these things.  Media members are requesting interviews, and he is agreeing to do them.  They are asking his opinions, and he is providing them.  And they are asking him these things because he was a #1 OA pick by the franchise that holds the #1 OA pick, just as there were interviews with Tim Couch prior to the 2018 draft when the Browns held 1OA.  I don't see that as sabotage.
(02-04-2020, 12:04 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: CP is doing interviews asking about the organization.  It's not like he is calling pressers to stand at the podium and say these things.  Media members are requesting interviews, and he is agreeing to do them.  They are asking his opinions, and he is providing them.  And they are asking him these things because he was a #1 OA pick by the franchise that holds the #1 OA pick, just as there were interviews with Tim Couch prior to the 2018 draft when the Browns held 1OA.  I don't see that as sabotage.

He doesn't have to agree to do interviews now. Especially when I'm sure he knows what questions are coming. Only Carson controls when he speaks out against the organization. In that respect, I think he knows full well what he's doing. It's not like he's setting up interviews to talk about his retirement and just gets blindsided by questions about Burrow and the Bengals.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(02-02-2020, 11:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't have the hatred for Palmer that some do, and I think he does make some valid points about the organization...but at the same time, he also seems to have selective memory.

In 2009, Palmer wanted Coles signed after he was released by the Jets, and recruited him over the phone:

"Anytime a quarterback of his caliber takes time out to give you a call and lets you know how important he feels it would be to come to a team he plays for, I felt that was something great. I felt it was something I needed to take a close look at."

The Bengals ended up signing him, just as Palmer wanted.

After the 2009 season, with Coles not working out, Palmer told them he wanted more weapons. They went out and signed Bryant to a 4 year deal and also added Owens, who Palmer lobbied for personally. After the signings, Carson said:

"I don't know why we can't win the Super Bowl. There's absolutely no reason we can't win every game on our schedule."

Of course, these moves didn't end up working out as planned, but at the time, Carson was singing a different tune.

I seem to remember Carson sucking in the playoff game against the Jets the week after they knocked us out of the #2 seed. Carson needs to just STFU and have good cold hard look in mirror when he's talking about our inability to win a Super Bowl. He had some role in that. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
(02-04-2020, 01:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He doesn't have to agree to do interviews now. Especially when I'm sure he knows what questions are coming. Only Carson controls when he speaks out against the organization. In that respect, I think he knows full well what he's doing. It's not like he's setting up interviews to talk about his retirement and just gets blindsided by questions about Burrow and the Bengals.

Bengal fans booed Palmer when he passsed the 20,000 passing yard mark in a home game.  \When he returned as a QB for the Raiders they pissed on his jersey and burned it. 

Now you expect him to refuse to do interviews in which he repeats exactly what 90% of you are saying here?

You shit on someone it can come back around.  Karma can be a ***** like that.
A good, legit interviewer would say "Ok but what about the 5 straight playoff appearances with Dalton starting the year you left, what do you have to say about that?"

But there arent good interviewers. The entire reason this stuff is brought up at all is because no one outside Cinci wants Burrow to be a Bengal and they want to influence him into pulling an Eli. If that isnt obvious, what is. Carson is a pretty emotional/butthurt type fella and they know that. He hasnt moved on emotionally so he gives a tunnel vision answer. Nobody in any of those interviews have talked about the elephant in the room, which is obviously, Andy Dalton and his success with the Bengals post Carson. Carson was a victim, Poor Carson, boohoo lol. Thats all it is. Why dont they interview Dalton? Because he may actually say something good about the Bengals and his time here. That is the very last thing they want when they are trying to influence people to think and do a certain way. Its the media and how it works.
It's been time to disown him. Even if he's not totally wrong about MB or the franchise. He's a pantywaist.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

(02-04-2020, 11:45 AM)bengaloo Wrote: A good, legit interviewer would say "Ok but what about the 5 straight playoff appearances with Dalton starting the year you left, what do you have to say about that?"  

But there arent good interviewers. The entire reason this stuff is brought up at all is because no one outside Cinci wants Burrow to be a Bengal and they want to influence him into pulling an Eli. If that isnt obvious, what is. Carson is a pretty emotional/butthurt type fella and they know that. He hasnt moved on emotionally so he gives a tunnel vision answer. Nobody in any of those interviews have talked about the elephant in the room, which is obviously, Andy Dalton and his success with the Bengals post Carson. Carson was a victim, Poor Carson, boohoo lol. Thats all it is. Why dont they interview Dalton? Because he may actually say something good about the Bengals and his time here. That is the very last thing they want when they are trying to influence people to think and do a certain way. Its the media and how it works.

Dalton went to the playoffs 5 times in a row and then had 4 losing seasons in a row topping off with a 2-14 swan song.  Dalton did better and then worse than Palmer ever did but I still think they'd have some camaraderie rather than rivalry since they both got hung out to dry by the same organization. Is Carson jealous of Dalton's success? Maybe...I can't read his mind, but no one brings up Carson Palmer freaking out that Derek Carr or Kyler Murray are going to be successful, so it's hard to read any sort of anti-Dalton angle into Palmer's interviews.

Both guys got cheered and booed here and both spent their final years in the NFL elsewhere.   The idea that Palmer and Dalton hate each other is like a less sexy version of me picturing my ex girlfriends angrily oil wrestling each other over my affection...rather they'd all probably rather have a good laugh over their shared disappointment in me.

At any rate the idea that Palmer is butthurt about the Bengals being more successful without him died when he left Oakland in 2013.
The fans and ownership ran him out of town. The guy says the same stuff we all do about this organization yet we hate him for it.

It's like picking on your younger brother. It's okay for you to do but the moment someone else does it you get all defensive.

I got over being angry at Carson years ago.

People need to grow up and get over it.
(02-04-2020, 08:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans booed Palmer when he passsed the 20,000 passing yard mark in a home game.  \When he returned as a QB for the Raiders they pissed on his jersey and burned it. 

Now you expect him to refuse to do interviews in which he repeats exactly what 90% of you are saying here?

Might be the first time I ever agreed with Fred.  Word for word.
(02-04-2020, 02:16 PM)motoarch Wrote: The fans and ownership ran him out of town. The guy says the same stuff we all do about this organization yet we hate him for it.

It's like picking on your younger brother. It's okay for you to do but the moment someone else does it you get all defensive.

I got over being angry at Carson years ago.

People need to grow up and get over it.

As Shake mentioned, most of us don't care what he says, but the timing and motivation behind it, is what's pissing us off.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
WhoDey2 All I can say is, I was done with that crybaby quitter when he left town.

All this was is a shot at MB and a way to remain relevant to do some radio shit along radio row at the Super Bowl.
CP can't stand the fact the he was supposed to set the league on fire and instead of that became a never was...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

(02-04-2020, 08:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans booed Palmer when he passsed the 20,000 passing yard mark in a home game.  \When he returned as a QB for the Raiders they pissed on his jersey and burned it. 

Cavs fans booed LeBron James, and chanted "Scottie Pippen", and "Akron hates you" his first game in Cleveland with the Heat. The team's owner belittled him in an open letter to fans. He came back and won a championship.

Carson's being petty.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(02-03-2020, 01:04 AM)cj1895 Wrote: I get the satisfaction of being right.

[Image: giphy.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(02-04-2020, 03:17 PM)jason Wrote: Cavs fans booed LeBron James, and chanted "Scottie Pippen", and "Akron hates you" his first game in Cleveland with the Heat. The team's owner belittled him in an open letter to fans. He came back and won a championship.

I think Lebron was willing to return to Cleveland because after saying "no" to his demands the first time and seeing him win with a franchise that listened to him the Cavs accepted his demands and did as he asked and won the championship for their troubles.  That seems like an amount of self-awareness and willingness to change that Mike Brown doesn't exhibit.

Yes, fans and the owner turning on him hurt (I recall the owner vowing they'd win a championship without him and then they proceeded to be one of if not the worst team in the league), but the main thing is that they were willing to give him what he wanted if he came back.  I'd wager seeing the owner do things that show he is trying to win is more important to Lebron than his feelings, but I'm just assuming.

Oddly, it would likely just fry Palmer's bacon if MB immediately went out and built a practice facility and hired a GM and upped the scouting department as soon as Palmer left, but alas he did nothing of the sort.
(02-04-2020, 02:22 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 All I can say is, I was done with that crybaby quitter when he left town.

All this was is a shot at MB and a way to remain relevant to do some radio shit along radio row at the Super Bowl.
CP can't stand the fact the he was supposed to set the league on fire and instead of that became a never was...

Weren’t you the one to have claimed to know the real behind the scenes story back when it happened?
(02-04-2020, 03:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think Lebron was willing to return to Cleveland because after saying "no" to his demands the first time and seeing him win with a franchise that listened to him the Cavs accepted his demands and did as he asked and won the championship for their troubles.  That seems like an amount of self-awareness and willingness to change that Mike Brown doesn't exhibit.

Yes, fans and the owner turning on him hurt (I recall the owner vowing they'd win a championship without him and then they proceeded to be one of if not the worst team in the league), but the main thing is that they were willing to give him what he wanted if he came back.  I'd wager seeing the owner do things that show he is trying to win is more important to Lebron than his feelings, but I'm just assuming.

Oddly, it would likely just fry Palmer's bacon if MB immediately went out and built a practice facility and hired a GM and upped the scouting department as soon as Palmer left, but alas he did nothing of the sort.

Stop looking at it logically.... We're hating on Carson Palmer here.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(02-04-2020, 04:06 PM)jason Wrote: Stop looking at it logically.... We're hating on Carson Palmer here.

Oh sorry.  Carson stinks and I hope Mike Brown never changes a damn thing in order to prove to Carson Palmer that a SB can be won by a guy who has actively sabatoged his own business since before our next franchise-savior QB was even born.

In that case, it'd be very "mature" of Carson to judge the entire fanbase on a fringe few or a bad moment. Just makes CP look soft, if that's the case.

Again, it's not about what he said, so much as when he said it and who he is. He isn't some random JN poster. He's a former face of the franchise. I agree with everything he said, but the timing makes him look petty, like he wants to continue sticking it to Mike and the fans.

There's been many players (of higher stature than CP) that have gone through similar ups and downs with a franchise or fanbase. LeBron, Favre, McNabb, etc etc. Even Jordan had a lot of issues with Jerry Krause in the 90's. Those people do not come off as bitter and trying to sabotage their old organization. There's a time and a place to air grievances, and it's not right before the team is set to draft a guy who could be the franchise for the next 15 years.

It just makes him look petty and vengeful. More worried about his own career and how the Bengals ruined things for him, rather than wishing the best for the Bengals and trying to pressure Mike into doing the right things going forward. Which is how it's felt when most of our past greats called out Mike publicly or wrote him that group letter years ago.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(02-04-2020, 04:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It just makes him look petty and vengeful. More worried about his own career and how the Bengals ruined things for him, rather than wishing the best for the Bengals and trying to pressure Mike into doing the right things going forward. Which is how it's felt when most of our past greats called out Mike publicly or wrote him that group letter years ago.

To each his own, but I don't see that.  I just see Palmer agreeing with the media narrative that playing for the Bengals is essentially setting your NFL career on "HARD MODE."  Clearly the media is going to push the "Bengals will wreck Burrow" narrative regardless of what Palmer says, though.  

Just the fact that we can classify and categorize how decades worth of disgruntled former players go about demanding trades and airing complaints about Mike Brown is telling in itself.  We are currently on good terms with Boomer because he demanded a trade in a more diplomatic manner than Carson.  Oy, the bar...is low.  We rank players by the manners by which they wanted out rather than the number of SBs won.  Life as a Bengals fan is an interesting one.