Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Time to face the facts, Zac Taylor is not a good head coach
(10-23-2019, 01:55 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I could tell especially after the Steelers game he is clueless and it's only gotten worse every week since then. He seems incapable of adjustments.

It sure seems like he’s in over his head. It feels like a bad hire. What is the proper length of time to give a fair evaluation? A year? 2 years? Surely not 3.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - People explain away his past failures as a coach and are like 'He was in a tough situation. Or they had no talent.'

There's very little success to point to that makes you say...he'll achieve that.

I’m chalking the choice up to a crappy ownership choice. He’s here now though and under contract. How much rope does he deserve? 2 years?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 08:18 AM)motoarch Wrote: Price was not going to be the starter.  He's bust and couldn't beat Hopkins for the spot.  We keep wasting picks on lineman.

Price was the starter coming in but Hopkins beat him out in TC/PS. Williams and Glenn were not going to be the starters at T though. Their plan was Williams at LT and Glenn at LG. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The NFL is an interconnected system.  Coaches and GMs know other coaches and GMs all around the league.  Most coaches have worked with multiple staffs on multiple teams.

So when a team is looking for a coach they rely a lot on the suggestions of other guys around the league who they know (The same thing happens in a lot of other industries).  Obviously some people who had worked with Taylor saw HC potential in him.  I'm pretty sure their was talk of him being an "up and comer" before the Bengals interviewed him.

It just feel like there should have been another step before becoming a head coach... maybe an extended role as an OC first. It feels like he went from a small responsibility straight into a huge one. I guess the word was that he was good at the minor role that he had? It just seems like a huge leap that he wasn’t prepared for.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 03:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It just feel like there should have been another step before becoming a head coach... maybe an extended role as an OC first. It feels like he went from a small responsibility straight into a huge one. I guess the word was that he was good at the minor role that he had? It just seems like a huge leap that he wasn’t prepared for.

I agree with everything you say here.  I was just trying to explain why I thought he got hired.

And forget about head coaching experience.  We don't have a coach anywhere on the staff who has ever prepared for a season at even a COORDINATOR level.  No one.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:35 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I know our roster is depleted, but if Taylor can't coach these guys to 2+ wins, then he shouldn't be here.  0-16 or 1-15 is frankly inexcusable.

I don't really see much difference between a 3-13 team and an 0-16 team.

(10-23-2019, 10:35 AM)Big Boss Wrote: If they roll into next season with these same coaches in place, with Taylor still calling plays, I ain't watching next year.  There is no way the team can sell me on that after this trainwreck season.

You should if they add some real player talent this off season.
Reply/Quote
It is too early to determine to if he is a good coach or not. But ... I might give Jim Harbaugh a call just to see if he is interested.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 03:24 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What is the proper length of time to give a fair evaluation? A year? 2 years? Surely not 3.

This year does not seem like enough based on the talent Zach was given, but I also don't want to watch 2 full seasons of this same shit if it does not get better.

Here is what I would do.  Hire a good experienced OC and/or replace our current DC with a guy who has potential to be a HC.  Then if Zach sucks just as bad next year we can fire him midseason and promote the coordinator to interim HC to see what he has to offer.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with everything you say here.  I was just trying to explain why I thought he got hired.

And forget about head coaching experience.  We don't have a coach anywhere on the staff who has ever prepared for a season at even a COORDINATOR level.  No one.

I get what you were saying. The coordinator thing is just mind boggling.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This year does not seem like enough based on the talent Zach was given, but I also don't want to watch 2 full seasons of this same shit if it does not get better.

Here is what I would do.  Hire a good experienced OC and/or replace our current DC with a guy who has potential to be a HC.  Then if Zach sucks just as bad next year we can fire him midseason and promote the coordinator to interim HC to see what he has to offer.

That sounds pretty sensible to me. I also don’t see anything that says that he would be a positive concerning the draft. It would be nice to get some legitimate help for next years draft too.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 09:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to defend Zach and say he is a good coach.

But just like with any rookie player I am going to say it is too early to judge.  His o-line is a bunch of back ups and that cripples the entire offense.  The defense has some talent but looks lost.  Maybe a better DC could fix that.

Honestly I don't have a lot of hope for him here under Mike Brown, but it is too early for me to completely write him off.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This year does not seem like enough based on the talent Zach was given, but I also don't want to watch 2 full seasons of this same shit if it does not get better.

That's the exact approach they should've taken.

Perhaps that is why Del Rio was considered but he didn't take it.

They should fire the OC or DC and try again.

If anything they'll at least get stability at Coordinator on one side of the ball.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Good Lord,

Give me ONE head coach that could do anything with this O-line.  

I really feel bad for the front office as they did a good (not great) job addressing this in the offseason.  The following line would have been pretty good if not for the injuries and retirements:

Jonah
Boling
Hopkins
Miller
Glenn

That being said, I'm actually thrilled that we are in the position we are in.  Dalton can be cut with no penalty and this is a great (not good) QB draft.

Any of the following guys would be significant upgrades:  Burrow, Eason, Herbert, Tua.

It's also a pretty deep OT draft.  We could easily get two legitimate top tier NFL starters if we play our cards right.

Do you remember how this team, without Marvin, drafted in 2019? Not one of them has started a game.

Reply/Quote

Or, we could just get it over with and fire Taylor now and bring in Del Rio for the rest of the season and see how he does.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:40 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Or, we could just get it over with and fire Taylor now and bring in Del Rio for the rest of the season and see how he does.

If we fire a coach after half a season just because we did not give him any talent to work with no decent coach will come here.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 09:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Do you remember how this team, without Marvin, drafted in 2019? Not one of them has started a game.

Michael Jordan has started 4 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Michael Jordan has started 4 games.

He has. But he shouldn't be. He's been terrible. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This team is so incredibly void of talent it's not even funny. The offensive line is somehow even worse than last years pathetic unit and the linebackers still suck just as hard.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
There is a lot of evidence that are pointing that way like Scheme dependtancy both offensive and defensively.
Honestly don't know what the Front office and coaching staff were talking about when building this roster.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Michael Jordan has started 4 games.

Forgot about him. He's no longer starting.

Reply/Quote