Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to give some props to Frank Pollack
Some fans wanted this guy gone with how the OL started playing at the beginning of the season, but the OL is really starting to gel now and I couldn't be happier to see it, shout out to Pollack for helping to turn the OL around.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Matchups sure help paint them in a more favorable manner... The Titans are the only team the Bengals played in the last 5 weeks who are above-average in sacks. Also the only opponent in the last 5 weeks with an above average in scoring defense. Even then they're the 31st ranked pass defense, making them the 2nd bottom-3 pass defense the Bengals have played in a row.

Still probably need 2 new starters on the OL for 2023.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 06:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Matchups sure help paint them in a more favorable manner... The Titans are the only team the Bengals played in the last 5 weeks who are above-average in sacks. Also the only opponent in the last 5 weeks with an above average in scoring defense. Even then they're the 31st ranked pass defense, making them the 2nd bottom-3 pass defense the Bengals have played in a row.

I don't care what the stats say playing TJ Watt and Cam Heyward counted as a good DL in my book.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 07:22 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I don't care what the stats say playing TJ Watt and Cam Heyward counted as a good DL in my book.  

That D-line is a different animal with Watt. They are 3-1 with Watt on their roster, with their only loss being against us last week,
Reply/Quote
We will win a lot of games with pockets like these. We’ve been seeing this (maybe not this big) more frequently over this last stretch.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 07:37 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We will win a lot of games with pockets like these. We’ve been seeing this (maybe not this big) more frequently over this last stretch.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Damn. That’s a big hole. Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 06:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Matchups sure help paint them in a more favorable manner... The Titans are the only team the Bengals played in the last 5 weeks who are above-average in sacks. Also the only opponent in the last 5 weeks with an above average in scoring defense. Even then they're the 31st ranked pass defense, making them the 2nd bottom-3 pass defense the Bengals have played in a row.

That Titans D sacked Joe nine times last year, and once on Sunday. I'll take it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 10:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: That Titans D sacked Joe nine times last year, and once on Sunday. I'll take it.

Absolutely

Changing scheme helped the running backs and Joe throwing much quicker and taking what is given is helping pass pro and them gelling is helping give him more of pocket that should open back up some deep balls again. 

It's all coming together at the right time and they could be becoming the juggernaut offense we all expected. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 07:37 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We will win a lot of games with pockets like these. We’ve been seeing this (maybe not this big) more frequently over this last stretch.

Hang it in the Louvre!

Btw you can delete the portion under an embedded tweet (everything between < script - script >)

It makes it look a lot cleaner.

Reply/Quote
got them all "eating the glass " now
Reply/Quote

Where? Volson has done great for a rookie. He’s going to be a solid guard. Williams and the others are signed to deals. We need all the money we can muster to resign our own free agents.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

you damn well better win the blocks when you have 6 blockers to 4 rushers
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 11:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: you damn well better win the blocks when you have 6 blockers to 4 rushers

I mean there is winning and then there is domination which is what this play was.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 12:05 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I mean there is winning and then there is domination which is what this play was.

.....and they were losing with those numbers last year and to start this year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
RG and RT are better now than they were when Adeniji and Prince were starting there last year.

I dunno if Karras is better than Hopkins was in pass protection toward the end of last season once he fully recovered from his Dec 2020 injury, but he's definitely better in the run game.

It's the left side you could argue is somewhat worse than last year though.
Jonah hasn't been the same guy he was last year, and Volson looks to be (somewhat) worse than Spain, at least up to this point.
In 494 pass block snaps this year, Volson has allowed 27 total pressures, including 4 sacks and 8 hits.
In 611 pass block snaps last year, Spain had allowed 23 total pressures, including 5 sacks and 3 hits.

With all that said, Volson is not a complete liability like Adeniji and Prince were last year.
He's shown enough to likely give the coaches confidence and stick as the starting LG for next year.
Jonah's 5th year option was already picked up, so he's likely going to start next year too.
If the Bengals are going to draft any new OL early next year, I would expect it to be an OT. That OT can be the swing OT for a year or two, and potentially take over as a starter if/when Jonah departs in 2024 or for Collins in 2025.

Right now, let's hope the Titans game is a sign of things to come and not an outlier.
Bengals can really go on a run if the OL can keep the pressures down in this tough remaining stretch.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 11:43 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Where? Volson has done great for a rookie. He’s going to be a solid guard. Williams and the others are signed to deals. We need all the money we can muster to resign our own free agents.

Correct. We do need OL, as every team does, but we don't need to spend big $$$ on a FA nor draft one in round 1. We need to always find  good solid OL in earlier/middle rounds that they believe in and they can develop for depth.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 09:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn. That’s a big hole. Mellow

That's what happens after BengalYankee spends a night with her.  Wink
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
As others have mentioned earlier they switched to man blocking. Much easier for Volson but also better for the backs. Mixon in the zone blocking the backs are suppose to read the hole. He needs to just hit the hole fast and quick. Samaje is just a bull so it worked better for him too. It’s also was better because of their infancy together.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 12:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RG and RT are better now than they were when Adeniji and Prince were starting there last year.

I dunno if Karras is better than Hopkins was in pass protection toward the end of last season once he fully recovered from his Dec 2020 injury, but he's definitely better in the run game.

It is not close.

Hopkins passing grade: 51.4
Karras passing grade: 74.5

Hopkins had more than double sacks, hits, hurries and penalties than Karras.

Reply/Quote