Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time to move on from Frank Pollack
(10-10-2023, 02:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a HOF caliber ex-player. He's in the same catagory as Whit, if he wanted a gig coaching Oline full time, he would have one. He probably does better with his own academy and works his own schedule.

I get that, but in that scenario....the homer pick .... Willie actually has "coaching" experience over Whit. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What are the biggest concerns on this team?

1) The OL
2) The lack of a running game

1) Frank Pollack OL coach
2) Frank Pollack run coordinator

1) Fail
2) Fail

Pollack is in his last year of contract and I hope we are are planning ahead for an offseason change of OL coach after this season ends and NOT renewing his contract.
Reply/Quote
To be fair.

We haven't really got to see any RB carry the load other than Mixon.

I'd start trying the rookie on short yardage. I think he looked good at finding extra yards in close quarters and falling forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 10:25 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Working on fundamentals and practicing hard don’t seem to be part of Zac’s culture philosophy. Bye week will most likely be rest and recovery. Then a return to regular weekly schedule.

Rest the sick and injured, particularly the defense that has been overworked thus far.  As for the offense, they need the work.  OL needs reps, consistency, orchestrated execution; Joe and the receivers need to nail down timing, particularly with anyone not named Jamarr Chase.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 06:43 PM)GodFather Wrote: Thats funny cause last week when I posted the same exact thing you were going on what a well respected coach he was and how crazy it would be too get rid of coaches who just brought us to a Super Bowl 2 years ago.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Funny how much changes in a week.. Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Nothing's changed at all. Pollack is STILL a highly respected line coach throughout the league with a hell of a resume. And if you are talking changing out "coaches" then it is crazy. This staff brought us to where we are, a proverbial Super Bowl contender. My point here is simply if you want to replace Pollack, come up with someone better instead of just saying fire him.. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 12:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: I get that, but in that scenario....the homer pick .... Willie actually has "coaching" experience over Whit. 

He does, I just don't believe he wants a full-time coaching gig or he would already have one. As much time as he's spent at Bengals training camps, I'm sure it's been discussed with him at some point.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 08:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nothing's changed at all. Pollack is STILL a highly respected line coach throughout the league with a hell of a resume. And if you are talking changing out "coaches" then it is crazy. This staff brought us to where we are, a proverbial Super Bowl contender. My point here is simply if you want to replace Pollack, come up with someone better instead of just saying fire him.. 

I think there’s a lot in play here especially considering that we’re in the middle of the season. It would be a pretty drastic act to fire a coach in the middle of the year especially when we are trying to get back on track.

And I do get that you have to have a replacement in mind before you give someone the axe. That’s why I always stop short of calling for anything immediate like benching/firing/trading someone. But I don’t think that it can be denied that if the line doesn’t get markedly better this year, and with an entire offseason to find someone, you have to part ways with Pollack.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 08:36 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: I think there’s a lot in play here especially considering that we’re in the middle of the season. It would be a pretty drastic act to fire a coach in the middle of the year especially when we are trying to get back on track.

And I do get that you have to have a replacement in mind before you give someone the axe. That’s why I always stop short of calling for anything immediate like benching/firing/trading someone. But I don’t think that it can be denied that if the line doesn’t get markedly better this year, and with an entire offseason to find someone, you have to part ways with Pollack.

Since Pollacks contract is up this year, I'm sure they will look at who's available. But I really don't expect him to go anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 08:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He does, I just don't believe he wants a full-time coaching gig or he would already have one. As much time as he's spent at Bengals training camps, I'm sure it's been discussed with him at some point.

You're probably right about that. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 08:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nothing's changed at all. Pollack is STILL a highly respected line coach throughout the league with a hell of a resume. And if you are talking changing out "coaches" then it is crazy. This staff brought us to where we are, a proverbial Super Bowl contender. My point here is simply if you want to replace Pollack, come up with someone better instead of just saying fire him.. 

Highly respected? Hardly.

https://x.com/nangleberger/status/1709711204980068755?s=20

How's this for stats on his highly respected work?

Look at what Frank Pollack has done in his career on his own without the help of two very good OL coaches Bill Callahan and John Benton. That excellent Dallas Cowboys offensive line was the work of Pollacks previous OL coach. He carried it the next year and after that he tanked and was fired. 

We have 2 major flaws on the offense, the OL and running game. He is responsible for both and is the constant with the issues we have had since he was here regardless of new players(3 current OL from previous Super Bowl winning teams)  

Yet they never have an answer. Last week they couldn't run the ball 1 yard for a TD and had no answer for the stunt blitzes, etc.  
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 08:36 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: I think there’s a lot in play here especially considering that we’re in the middle of the season. It would be a pretty drastic act to fire a coach in the middle of the year especially when we are trying to get back on track.

Well said once again, now is not the time to move on from Pollack, after the season when his contract is up we can look at who 
could possibly replace him if we don't see significant improvement from the OL as a whole and especially Volson. Have to judge 
an OL coach on who he has developed and Pollack hasn't developed anyone into a star yet on this team. The good players were
already good as they were vets on other teams or a top pick like Jonah Williams.

(10-11-2023, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Since Pollacks contract is up this year, I'm sure they will look at who's available. But I really don't expect him to go anywhere.

Don't expect it either, but if the OL is the reason once again why we don't win a SB the FO has to think about an upgrade there.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 07:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Rest the sick and injured, particularly the defense that has been overworked thus far.  As for the offense, they need the work.  OL needs reps, consistency, orchestrated execution; Joe and the receivers need to nail down timing, particularly with anyone not named Jamarr Chase.

Agree completely. Just sayin’, with Zac, this is not the way.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 07:24 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Agree completely. Just sayin’, with Zac, this is not the way.

This is what needs to change in my opinion as I agree with you as well.

We play the best 3 phase team in the NFL after the bye week in the 49ers, followed by a damn good team in the Bills.

We need to make a statement versus the 49ers for sure and to rest our Offense too much could be a mistake.

Our Defense on the other hand needs to rest and research what Kyle Shanahan and that Offense does. They are a well run machine.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 10:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what needs to change in my opinion as I agree with you as well.

We play the best 3 phase team in the NFL after the bye week in the 49ers, followed by a damn good team in the Bills.

We need to make a statement versus the 49ers for sure and to rest our Offense too much could be a mistake.

Our Defense on the other hand needs to rest and research what Kyle Shanahan and that Offense does. They are a well run machine.

To some extent, any extra work during a bye week is limited by the CBA and therefore out of coaches control.

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/24/section/2

NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement

Article 24
Regular Season and Postseason Practices

Section 2
Bye Weeks

During any regular season bye week period occurring during the term of this Agreement, players will be given a minimum of four consecutive days off. Such four-day period must include a Saturday and a Sunday unless the Club is scheduled to play a game on the Thursday following the bye week, in which case players may be required to report to the Club on the Sunday preceding the Thursday game. In such an event, the four-day period shall be Wednesday through Saturday. Any injured player may be required to undergo medical or rehabilitation treatment during such four-day period provided that such treatment is deemed reasonably necessary by the Club’s medical staff.”

Still, I’d like to see Zac tighten up the weekly practice schedule.
Reply/Quote
A good coach makes players better. Not seeing it. If Zac asked him to name three reasons to keep him, what would he say? I don’t know who to replace him with. I’m not an NFL executive, but to think there isn’t somebody who can do a better job next year is ludicrous.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 09:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A good coach makes players better. Not seeing it. If Zac asked him to name three reasons to keep him, what would he say? I don’t know who to replace him with. I’m not an NFL executive, but to think there isn’t somebody who can do a better job next year is ludicrous.

Good point here. I get that Collins and Jonah had injuries to deal with that really affected them. Fair enough. But not developing guys like Volson or Carman or getting the most out of the high money guys we’ve signed is just plain to see. I feel like Cappa, Karras, and Brown have all the physical talent but they miss things like twists and stunts as though they are seeing it for the first time and like they aren’t ready for it. I just have a hard time believing they all those guys are the problem and not the coach.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 09:01 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: To some extent, any extra work during a bye week is limited by the CBA and therefore out of coaches control.

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/24/section/2

NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement

Article 24
Regular Season and Postseason Practices

Section 2
Bye Weeks

During any regular season bye week period occurring during the term of this Agreement, players will be given a minimum of four consecutive days off. Such four-day period must include a Saturday and a Sunday unless the Club is scheduled to play a game on the Thursday following the bye week, in which case players may be required to report to the Club on the Sunday preceding the Thursday game. In such an event, the four-day period shall be Wednesday through Saturday. Any injured player may be required to undergo medical or rehabilitation treatment during such four-day period provided that such treatment is deemed reasonably necessary by the Club’s medical staff.”

Still, I’d like to see Zac tighten up the weekly practice schedule.

Hey, still enough time to learn some things. But yeah, kind of sucks because the coaches cannot implement these things.

This team could be so good if they had some of the Kyle Shanahan strategies.

We have a physical team, we aren't just speed like the Phins.

(10-13-2023, 09:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A good coach makes players better. Not seeing it. If Zac asked him to name three reasons to keep him, what would he say? I don’t know who to replace him with. I’m not an NFL executive, but to think there isn’t somebody who can do a better job next year is ludicrous.

Sharrone Moore, OL coach Michigan is who I want right now to replace Frank Pollack.

(10-13-2023, 10:17 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Good point here. I get that Collins and Jonah had injuries to deal with that really affected them. Fair enough. But not developing guys like Volson or Carman or getting the most out of the high money guys we’ve signed is just plain to see. I feel like Cappa, Karras, and Brown have all the physical talent but they miss things like twists and stunts as though they are seeing it for the first time and like they aren’t ready for it. I just have a hard time believing they all those guys are the problem and not the coach.

Yep, if anything the players we brought in in FA have regressed under Pollack. Not being able to develop the young players in 
Volson and Carman are the toppers to me.
Reply/Quote
It's part of his official job description. "Offensive line coach and run game coordinator".

Two parts of this offense have been below average/bad since he's been hired. Offensive line play and the run game.

Take what you will from this information...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 10:05 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's part of his official job description. "Offensive line coach and run game coordinator".

Two parts of this offense have been below average/bad since he's been hired. Offensive line play and the run game.

Take what you will from this information...

If you look at his track record after Dallas w, what, 3 probowlers & an all pro.... His results are GARBAGE.
Reply/Quote
Cody Ford is the first guy off the bench at tackle.... Cody Ford.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote