Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time to move on from Frank Pollack
(10-09-2023, 02:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You’re confusing kappa with karras

and you're confusing kappa with cappa
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 12:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whitworth would definitely be the fan favorite, sentimental choice, but he has no coaching resume.  I would think that they would target someone with a proven record of developing effective rushing attacks in a pass dominated offense.

I would vote Big Willie for the Homer pick. He runs an academy for linemen, after all. Even then, I'm not sure about the scheming and run game coordinator part of the job regarding him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When it comes to the division, here are the number of total pressures and sacks allowed:
CLE - 63 total pressures, 15 sacks
CIN - 57 total pressures, 11 sacks
BAL - 59 total pressures, 15 sacks
PIT - 77 total pressures, 14 sacks

Adding in some of the big hitter teams in the AFC outside of the division:
KC - 70 total pressures, 4 sacks
BUF - 60 total pressures, 9 sacks
MIA - 40 total pressures, 6 sacks
JAX - 66 total pressures, 13 sacks
LAC - 52 total pressures, 9 sacks

Most teams seem to be in the 10-15 range in sacks allowed, 50-70 pressures allowed.

Thanks! Should put the meme that our OL is allowing all sorts of bad things to bed. And we did it with for 4 weeks an immobile QB. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When it comes to the division, here are the number of total pressures and sacks allowed:

Adding in some of the big hitter teams in the AFC outside of the division:
KC - 70 total pressures, 4 sacks
BUF - 60 total pressures, 9 sacks
MIA - 40 total pressures, 6 sacks
JAX - 66 total pressures, 13 sacks
LAC - 52 total pressures, 9 sacks

Most teams seem to be in the 10-15 range in sacks allowed, 50-70 pressures allowed.

This wouldn't seem so concerning if our run game wasn't absolute trash as well.  All these other teams can run the ball except for Pitt.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 12:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe Whitworth if he's up for it?

If Whitworth wanted a job coaching, he would have one.... he's doing the television thing. Next....
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 12:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You do realize who our Run Game coordinator is don't you?

Yeah, but maybe we need to look at the Running Backs coach since they struggle with picking up the rush.
Reply/Quote

Watson: 3.05 time to throw, 5.9 average completed air yards
Burrow: 2.46 time to throw, 3.8 average completed air yards
Jackson: 2.72 time to throw, 6.0 average completed air yards
Pickett: 2.95 time to throw, 5.1 average completed air yards

Burrow is throwing it MUCH faster and completing passes MUCH shorter. If he didn't have less pressure, that would be more shocking. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 02:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would vote Big Willie for the Homer pick. He runs an academy for linemen, after all. Even then, I'm not sure about the scheming and run game coordinator part of the job regarding him.

He's a HOF caliber ex-player. He's in the same catagory as Whit, if he wanted a gig coaching Oline full time, he would have one. He probably does better with his own academy and works his own schedule.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 02:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Watson: 3.05 time to throw, 5.9 average completed air yards
Burrow: 2.46 time to throw, 3.8 average completed air yards
Jackson: 2.72 time to throw, 6.0 average completed air yards
Pickett: 2.95 time to throw, 5.1 average completed air yards

Burrow is throwing it MUCH faster and completing passes MUCH shorter. If he didn't have less pressure, that would be more shocking. 

For sure, the time to throw is very low, as are the air yards.
If he was holding onto the ball longer, we would probably see more pressures (and sacks).

I'm interested to see how the Bengals perform now that he seems fully healthy and likely holding that ball longer.

Also, Volson is not good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 02:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would vote Big Willie for the Homer pick. He runs an academy for linemen, after all. Even then, I'm not sure about the scheming and run game coordinator part of the job regarding him.

I like your thinking, wise one.

(10-10-2023, 02:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a HOF caliber ex-player. He's in the same catagory as Whit, if he wanted a gig coaching Oline full time, he would have one. He probably does better with his own academy and works his own schedule.

Damnit Sled - Your just going to shoot us all down. On a serious note, I was trying to research available OL coaches and all I could muster was articles about offensive coordinators. 

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 02:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I like your thinking, wise one.

Damnit Sled - Your just going to shoot us all down. On a serious note, I was trying to research available OL coaches and all I could muster was articles about offensive coordinators. 

And that's the rub. It's easy to want to replace someone, but you have to have someone better and available, and who wants the job. That's the hard part. If we can upgrade, I'm all for it, but before I jump on the fire Pollack train, I have to have a better option. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 02:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damnit Sled - Your just going to shoot us all down. On a serious note, I was trying to research available OL coaches and all I could muster was articles about offensive coordinators. 

Joe Rudolph?

Former Wisconsin OL Coach, current Notre Dame OL Coach. At Wisconsin ('15-'21) he had 6 OL, 2 RB, and 1 FB go to the NFL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Joe Rudolph?

Former Wisconsin OL Coach, current Notre Dame OL Coach. At Wisconsin ('15-'21) he had 6 OL, 2 RB, and 1 FB go to the NFL.

Don't know anything about him. He was at Wisconsin in 21, Virginia Tech in 22 and ND in 23? Can he not keep a job or did he break contract, or was hs under contract? Does he want to coach in the pros? Fill me in on him....
Reply/Quote
Zak Kromer seems like a good candidate. Assistant OL coach for the Rams. ZT should know him well and possibly give him a call. He has a good track record.

Quote:Zak Kromer enters his eighth NFL season and seventh with the Los Angeles Rams. He will serve as the assistant offensive line coach after spending the last two seasons as an offensive assistant.

During his first five seasons with the Rams from 2017-2021, Kromer primarily worked with an offensive line that anchored one of the most productive offenses in the NFL during that span.
In 2022, Kromer worked closely with the tight ends and helped Tyler Higbee sustain his productivity in McVay's offense. In Week 16 against the Broncos, Higbee eclipsed 3,000 career receiving yards and became the Rams' all-time leader in touchdowns for tight ends (20). Higbee is currently the Rams' all-time leader in receptions (306), receiving yards (3,107) and touchdowns for tight ends. Under the guidance of Kromer, he tallied a career-best 72 catches for 620 yards and three touchdowns during the 2022 season. His 620 receiving yards were the second-most of his career. Additionally, his 404 yards after catch was a career-high, the fourth best amongst tight ends, and the 28th highest YAC total in the NFL last season.
Kromer also continues to develop young Tight End Brycen Hopkins, who set career-highs in catches (7) and receiving yards (109) last season.
In his fourth season in L.A. in 2020, Kromer helped a rushing attack that finished 10th in the league, averaging 126.1 rush yards per game. The team was led by rookie RB Cam Akers, who tallied a team-best 625 yards on the ground. Akers recorded a 61-yard rush against the 49ers in a Week 11 contest, which marked the longest rush of the McVay era.
In 2019, with the help of Kromer's adjustments throughout the season due to injury along the offensive front, the offensive line did not allow a sack in a franchise-best six games, while also allowing the fewest sacks in the league (22).
Kromer spent the 2016 season with the Buffalo Bills as an entrylevel coaching assistant.
Prior to the Bills, he spent four seasons at the University of Oklahoma as a student assistant for the football program.
Kromer earned a bachelor of arts degree in communications.
He is the son of the longtime NFL offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who has 19 seasons of NFL experience.
Kromer and his wife, Emily, got married in June 2018 and they have a son, Beckham.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 02:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I like your thinking, wise one.

Herb Hand has built good olines everywhere he's gone in college
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Zak Kromer seems like a good candidate. Assistant OL coach for the Rams. ZT should know him well and possibly give him a call. He has a good track record.

Son of an NFL OL coach, check.

Experience in a pass heavy offense that generally runs effectively, check.

At a point in his career where he's likely looking to step up, check.

Sounds like an interesting prospect, nice research HD!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Iv said it in the game threads all year

I cannot judge Pollack until Burrow is Burrow.

To me these guys haven’t played bad. You absolutely cannot block for a statue.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Son of an NFL OL coach, check.

Experience in a pass heavy offense that generally runs effectively, check.

At a point in his career where he's likely looking to step up, check.

Sounds like an interesting prospect, nice research HD!

Experience with Power Gap?
Reply/Quote
I'm on the Sherrone Moore bandwagon if the Bengals don't hire him as the OL or TE coach then I want to see WVU hire him as the head coach lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: Experience with Power Gap?

That is not as important.  People like to get caught up in buzzwords like "Power Gap" and "Wide Zone" as if they are philosophical tenants on opposite ends of the spectrum, they're not.  In reality they are just plays, a complete running game package should include all of those plays.  Maybe because of physical limitations of some of your given talent on hand at any given time, you favor certain plays over others.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote