Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Time to pump the brakes: the Oline isn't that bad.
(10-13-2016, 09:44 PM)GodFather Wrote: Cocaine is a hell of a drug....

Exactly. It causes people to jump to erroneous conclusions when facts don't back up what they're saying. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 08:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Let me first say, i was on the front lines, with my bull horn, screaming about how pathetic they were. Then i rewatched the game today when i got home. Every offensive play, frame by frame to find the breakdowns. 

Guys are going to get beat on occasion. That's a given. With that said, here is what i saw. 

1. Ced Ob, much more than anyone, missed a pickup or simply couldn't contain his block long enough to give the RB time to do something. 
2. TEs and WRs on the end of the line were very porous--much much more so than the 5 guys up front. 
3. Jeremy Hill missed many opportunities when there was real estate to the left or right. He had a tendency to run straight ahead into a pile when a cut either way would have given him some room...which brings me to this point; i really wonder if Hill even has the ability to be a one cut back. 

The Oline has had heaps of criticism dumped on their heads recently (this year and last) but when i went back and focused on their play and not my gut reaction while watching the game, i was very surprised in what i saw. Several holes were there for bigger gains and missed. I'd say there were more opportunities missed than there were missed blocks by a C, OG or OT. 

I know this thread won't be received well, or flat out ignored, but you can't deny what is there on tape when you look a little closer. 

Hum, well, I've gotta chime in on this.

1. I believe it is Og's job to hold the those blocks. It only takes one guy to be a weak link in an OL for it to look bad. We've got 2 weak links, so we look bad more often.

2. While this might explains some run issues doesn't explain anything about the pocket collapsing so quickly and so often.

3. Boy, when Hill was seeing the middle clogged up and he'd got outside people were roasting him for taking it wide. Now it's just the   opposite. I'm fairly sure Hill is doing what the coaches are telling him to do.

Let's face it, our C is one of the worst in the league and our second year RT hasn't caught on to the NFL game. Maybe he will catch on, maybe he won't. Our C has had plenty of time to get it and just doesn't.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2016, 10:57 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, well, I've gotta chime in on this.

1. I believe it is Og's job to hold the those blocks. It only takes one guy to be a weak link in an OL for it to look bad. We've got 2 weak links, so we look bad more often.

2. While this might explains some run issues doesn't explain anything about the pocket collapsing so quickly and so often.

3. Boy, when Hill was seeing the middle clogged up and he'd got outside people were roasting him for taking it wide. Now it's just the   opposite. I'm fairly sure Hill is doing what the coaches are telling him to do.

Let's face it, our C is one of the worst in the league and our second year RT hasn't caught on to the NFL game. Maybe he will catch on, maybe he won't. Our C has had plenty of time to get it and just doesn't.

Right now we have atleast 3 weak links in the OL, Zeitler being among them.

Don't know what has happened to Zeitler but he has been downright awful this year. I thought it might of been
cause of the players around him earlier but he has been bad all by himself. Whit has also not looked like himself.

Boling is the only guy who has been decent.

This is on the O-line coach, one new addition to the O-line should not destroy the whole thing one year removed
from being a decent Offensive line. They are being too cute pulling Zeitler and not sealing off the edge way too
often and PA is baffled why they have not played better.
Reply/Quote
PA needed to go years ago imo.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2016, 12:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: PA needed to go years ago imo.

Yep, and Zampese was a lazy hire as OC.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2016, 12:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Right now we have atleast 3 weak links in the OL, Zeitler being among them.

Don't know what has happened to Zeitler but he has been downright awful this year. I thought it might of been
cause of the players around him earlier but he has been bad all by himself. Whit has also not looked like himself.

This is on the O-line coach, one new addition to the O-line should not destroy the whole thing one year removed
from being a decent Offensive line. They are being too cute pulling Zeitler and not sealing off the edge way too

Can't disagree with you at all.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2016, 02:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and Zampese was a lazy hire as OC.

Yep x2, and we're probably stuck with Zamp for at least several years, knowing this franchise.

We've found the new Brat.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2016, 02:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and Zampese was a lazy hire as OC.

And the cheaper way out I'd guess.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2016, 12:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Right now we have atleast 3 weak links in the OL, Zeitler being among them.

Zeitler cannot pull. He is too slow and can't block a moving target. Boling can pull so maybe running to the right, DUH? might produce a better result while helping the other weak links in the process.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 12:28 AM)Derrick Wrote: Zeitler cannot pull. He is too slow and can't block a moving target. Boling can pull so maybe running to the right, DUH? might produce a better result while helping the other weak links in the process.

Interesting. A guard who can't pull is usually a Center. Was there a reason we passed on DeCastro? We had two shots to draft him. With the first one we took Kirkpatrick, then we traded back leaving DeCastro there for Pittsburgh.

NE took Chandler Jones with the pick we traded back from. What a nice pick Jones turned out to be.

But also, and I could be wrong about this, when a guard has a poor center to his left and an overmatched tackle to his right, is he ever going to look good?

Reply/Quote
I just wish this team would have pulled the trigger on Frederick © out of Wisconsin to go with Zeitler.

We'd probably not even be discussing line issues if they did, keeping those two together would have insured continuity IMO.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 12:28 AM)Derrick Wrote: Zeitler cannot pull. He is too slow and can't block a moving target. Boling can pull so maybe running to the right, DUH? might produce a better result while helping the other weak links in the process.

True, Boling is clearly a much better pulling Guard.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 09:55 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I just wish this team would have pulled the trigger on Frederick © out of Wisconsin to go with Zeitler.

We'd probably not even be discussing line issues if they did, keeping those two together would have insured continuity IMO.

Yeah, that would of been the way to go.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2016, 12:57 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Interesting. A guard who can't pull is usually a Center. Was there a reason we passed on DeCastro? We had two shots to draft him. With the first one we took Kirkpatrick, then we traded back leaving DeCastro there for Pittsburgh.

NE took Chandler Jones with the pick we traded back from. What a nice pick Jones turned out to be.

But also, and I could be wrong about this, when a guard has a poor center to his left and an overmatched tackle to his right, is he ever going to look good?

According to Lap, the Bengals passed on DeCastro because he "spent too much time on the ground." 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote