Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tipped Passes
(08-30-2018, 11:12 AM)clevelandsdad Wrote: I think there is a reason he gets as many ball batted down as he does, but I don't think it's his height.

It's well documented that Dalton gets the ball out post-snap quicker than most QB's in the league. He will almost always get the ball out after 2 seconds from the ball being snapped. I believe the reason the offense is schemed this way is because Dalton has very poor pocket mobility/maneuverability. Unlike a Brees, Brady or Big Ben, Dalton lacks the ability to maneuver around his o-linemen when the pressure comes. Ever noticed he never steps up in the pocket? I think he lacks this ability, so to make up for it the offense has shifted to a quick passing attack.

Due to this stat, the d-linemen have it fairly easy. They can know that at about 2 seconds post-snap, the ball will likely be released. If they put their hands up then, there's a good chance that they can bat the ball down.

An unfortunate limitation of Dalton's, it will continue to be one we have to work around. Unless Van Pelt has a bag of tricks waiting.

I don't agree with this thesis. 

Yes Andy has the second fastest release in the NFL. But he also is noted for having good not poor pocket maneuverability and mobility. If you want to know why he gets it out so fast the answer is poor blocking. When your linemen give ground as a technique and your center gets shoved into your face regularly you have no choice but to get the ball out FAST. Also, in order to use pocket mobility and maneuverability you have to have a pocket in the first place. This preseason for the first time in a long time we are seeing a pocket, and Andy has shown excellent awareness and mobility inside of it. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 04:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: I don't agree with this thesis. 

Yes Andy has the second fastest release in the NFL. But he also is noted for having good not poor pocket maneuverability and mobility. If you want to know why he gets it out so fast the answer is poor blocking. When your linemen give ground as a technique and your center gets shoved into your face regularly you have no choice but to get the ball out FAST. Also, in order to use pocket mobility and maneuverability you have to have a pocket in the first place. This preseason for the first time in a long time we are seeing a pocket, and Andy has shown excellent awareness and mobility inside of it. 

Agreed, sure D-lines can get the timing down of your passes if you throw at the same progressions all the time but
this can be avoided by an aggressive O-line, different progressions, different timing and pump fakes. Mobility sure
has nothing to do with it, Dalton is very mobile. Underrated part of his game if anything.

The only problem i have had with Dalton at times is when he panics when plays break down.

But it is hard to blame him with the pocket always getting shoved into his lap.
Reply/Quote