Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Eifert or Not to Eifert in the Offseason...that is the question...
Make your case for retaining or letting Eifert go here.
Reply/Quote
I'll start. I think he's a talent when healthy and when playing, but he averages like 11 games played a year. I think I'd look at keeping him short-term but draft a replacement that could step in within a season or two.

Also, injuries tend to erode talent in the NFL...especially at TE. Look at guys who have a couple good years at TE like Cameron with the Browns, then they get hurt and all the sudden they are a shell of their former talented self.
Reply/Quote
This is an easy one. Peace dude.
Reply/Quote
Keep him if possible, but getting a quality starter tight end should be a priority over all else (in regards to the tight end position).
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I struggle a lot with this one. On the one hand he's a top level talent when on the field. On the other hand he can't stay on the field for any length of time.

Unless he has a drastic turn around and plays every game the rest of the season and is playing in that elite class. I'd have a hard time resigning him. And even then I'd struggle signing him long term.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it will matter much.

The team will have a dollar amount on him based on performance. He will either take it or he won't. Either way, I don't think it will matter much. Our first two picks — depending on who is on the board — are going to be some combination of OT, TE or CB.
Reply/Quote
Keep him if he wants value reflective of how often he is available but don't go into the season acting like he is a guy you can depend on when you are planning for the season ahead.

Get another quality TE similar to the way New England did with Gronk and Bennett and play 2 TE sets when both our healthy and when Eifert is hurt we are going about our business with the other guy.

If we want Eifert to be our #1 point blank with your average run of the mill backups then it is a hands down hell no. We will just be setting ourselves up for disappointment.
Reply/Quote
Eifert's career is in jeopardy. Him re-signing isn't even a question at this point.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 01:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Keep him if possible, but getting a quality starter tight end should be a priority over all else (in regards to the tight end position).

So knowing what you know now...would you have drafted Howard instead of Ross?

My argument against Howard is spending 3 1st Round picks on TE's in an 8-9 year span is crazy.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 01:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I struggle a lot with this one. On the one hand he's a top level talent when on the field. On the other hand he can't stay on the field for any length of time.

Unless he has a drastic turn around and plays every game the rest of the season and is playing in that elite class. I'd have a hard time resigning him. And even then I'd struggle signing him long term.

Well I wonder at what point the injuries will erode his play when he is on the field too.
Reply/Quote
Unless he can be retained for $4 mill a year, pass. The Bengals have too many other mouths to feed as it is. They don't need Eifert.
Invest that money into OL. Maybe draft a TE in rounds 2-3 if the Bengals are that concerned about what they have or don't like the other TEs in the upcoming FA market.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 01:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So knowing what you know now...would you have drafted Howard instead of Ross?

My argument against Howard is spending 3 1st Round picks on TE's in an 8-9 year span is crazy.

Yes.

But knowing what I know now, I would have tried everything possible to trade that #9 pick for a later pick in the round, while hoping to get another late 1st round pick to go with it or a very high 2nd round pick. That would have been 2 picks before Mixon, and could have been a tackle and center. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Unless something drastic happens, I expect Eifert to be tagged this offseason. The Bengals will offer him a deal where they factor in his injury history. He signs the tag, we draft a TE in the 2nd-4th and have him waiting in the wings if/when Eifert walks the following offseason.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Unless he can be retained for $4 mill a year, pass. The Bengals have too many other mouths to feed as it is. They don't need Eifert.
Invest that money into OL. Maybe draft a TE in rounds 2-3 if the Bengals are that concerned about what they have or don't like the other TEs in the upcoming FA market.

Agree with this here. If he doesn't sign for a lower amount, then move on. OL needs to be #1 priority right now.
Reply/Quote
Honestly... I think Eifert retires after next season. He'll get paid elsewhere, suffer another injury, and finally pack it in.

Gotta let him walk, sadly. It's too bad... Such great talent wasted and it's really not even his fault
Reply/Quote
Missed 27 out of last 50 games, goodbye.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure the guy really even wants to play anymore. Sure, the pay is nice as is the adoration by fans and media when he's on the field producing, it's been awhile now since that stellar 15 season so I'm not completely convinced he's much into the game. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't waste a roster spot on him if I was them. Gary Barnidge had a far better season then Eifert ever did, but for some reason we think we have our own version of Gronk here.

He's just another bust. Let's move on and get better.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 09:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm not sure the guy really even wants to play anymore. Sure, the pay is nice as is the adoration by fans and media when he's on the field producing, it's been awhile now since that stellar 15 season so I'm not completely convinced he's much into the game. 

I feel the same but i do think the injuries have played a big part in his mental state. 

As a fan i'm ready to move on as well.

Like i said in another thread toss him on the pile of "what ifs".

Reply/Quote
I'd put some feelers out and see if any teams would be interested in a trade. Otherwise, let him walk. All the talent in the world doesn't mean much if you can't stay on the field.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote