Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the fire Marvin crowd if we lose tonight
First, I feel more confident we will win this game than I have any playoff game (other than the Chargers) in the ML era.

But, if we lose, coaches get fired for:

1. Inability to win (ML has been winning 5 years in a row and getting to the playoffs)
2. Inability to hold the locker room (respect)
3. Inability to keep players playing hard every game

Distant 4th in my opinion
4. Inability to win a playoff game

If I were asked 8 years ago, I would have said fire ML for losing record and I did not feel they played hard every game. But today, I see a winning culture developed that continues to get better each year (regular season record improvements and you need wins to make the playoffs). I see a team that plays in a division with 2 great franchises in Baltimore and Pittsburgh (we don't play in the AFCS or NFCS), we are in a dogfight every year to win our division.

But, it is 2015 season and all ML has done is get us back to the playoffs, last year he did it in spite of being decimated by injuries to our marquee players Burfict, Green and Geno not back to 100% and Eifert who we now see how important he is to this team. This year we needed to win with our backup QB playing almost 5 games and won the division. My point is going 12-4 using a 2nd year NFL QB who had never taken a snap was not easy.

We all want a playoff win, but I don't think firing the coach if we lose tonight makes any sense. We have a GM (maybe not in title) named Katie and Tobin so no ML is not going upstairs in my opinion.

We are all frustrated by losing playoff games so tonight it is time to get the monkey off this team's back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Did you really just write that wall of text in a premptive homer strike?

It pretty telling that when in the midst of a great season the homer is so desperate to bash a hater that he makes up an entire ten thousand word rebuttal to an imaginary hater's imaginary statement. 

You may need to see a psychologist as something is obviously amiss. You're not a "blind homer" at all.  You're a "hallucinating homer".

Hilarious Hilarious

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I'll say it again. If we lose because Mccarron struggles then I give Marvin a pass.

If we come out flat and the whole team looks like the ususal playoff crap then he needs to go.

Most of you know that I have been one of the stronger supporters of Marvin. The way I see it the '10 season was the only one that should have possibly gotten him fired. Most of the time in his playoff games the other team had more talent, but the losses have not even been close and there was no possible excuse for the '13 loss to the Chargers when we were a big favorite (7 points is huge in the postseason) at home.

So I won't say automatically to fire him based on a loss, but if the whole team looks like crap again I'd say he has to go.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:33 PM)Burma Wrote: Did you really just write that wall of text in a premptive homer strike?

It pretty telling that when in the midst of a great season the homer is so desperate to bash a hater that he makes up an entire ten thousand word rebuttal to an imaginary hater's imaginary statement. 

You may need to see a psychologist as something is obviously amiss. You're not a "blind homer" at all.  You're a "hallucinating homer".

Hilarious Hilarious

I call it offering an opinion. I find it odd it scares you so much that you felt the need to go into insult mode. Ninja

I am just a fan with an opinion, nothing more.  Mellow

If the entire team is not ready to play tonight, I may change my opinion, but I saw a team play very hard the entire game we lost a few ago to the Steelers (did not quit when they easily could have), so I will watch the game and if we lose, I will look to the reasons why we lost the game versus just jumping to fire ML because I am mad we lost. ThumbsUp

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
For the love of Christ, the man has been here for 13 years. Just go out and win tonight. Enough ***** excuses.

That wall of words just seems like a preemptive excuse. And fwiw, coaches get shit canned all the time for not winning in the postseason. See: Schottenheimer, Marty.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: For the love of Christ, the man has been here for 13 years. Just go out and win tonight. Enough ***** excuses.  

That wall of words just seems like a preemptive excuse.  And fwiw, coaches get shit canned all the time for not winning in the postseason. See: Schottenheimer, Marty.

I get it, if ML loses tonight his playoff record stinks even worse than it did last year. I respect your opinion and other who feel he should be fired, I just may not agree, but like you said let's win tonight and the debate ends...................................or would it?

Reply/Quote
Useless debate. We are not losing tonight.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 02:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Useless debate. We are not losing tonight.

I agree, but my hunch tells me some would not jump onto the ML train with a win tonight. Maybe I am wrong.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 02:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Useless debate. We are not losing tonight.

While Im not as certain as you, I do believe that the bengals will win tonight.  And Im by no means a homer.  SInce 2004, Ive been worried about every steelers game.  Every single one of them I felt was gonna be a loss heading into it and I was usually correct.  For some weird reason though, I feel good about this one.  I think the bengals actually win this one.  

And I was hoping like hell that the jets were gonna beat the bills because I really didnt want to see the steelers again this season.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 02:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, but my hunch tells me some would not jump onto the ML train with a win tonight. Maybe I am wrong.

I guess the depends on the viewpoint someone needs to have for you to declare him "on the ML train." My bias is known, but if we win tonight I'm way more likely to jump on the AJ McCarron delusion wagon than the Marvin Lewis one.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty sad we're already anticipating a loss and what will happen if we do. 13 years folks. 13 years. What makes you think anything will be different? Haven't we all learned by now?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I call it offering an opinion. I find it odd it scares you so much that you felt the need to go into insult mode. Ninja

I am just a fan with an opinion, nothing more.  Mellow

You found the wrong thing then champ. You found what you wanted to find, as usual: someone you can label a hater. It's pretty sad really.  This season has been fantastic and I am delighted.

As to the poor little you "I am just a fan with an opinion, nothing more." line, save that bull shit for people who are new and haven't seen you rabidly attack anyone who didn't think the same thing about the team as you.

I'll say it again; you are so desperate to "home" that you have to make up a "hate".  It is pathetic.  Why are you so desperate?  You need professional help.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll say it again.  If we lose because Mccarron struggles then I give Marvin a pass.

If we come out flat and the whole team looks like the ususal playoff crap then he needs to go.

Most of you know that I have been one of the stronger supporters of Marvin.  The way I see it the '10 season was the only one that should have possibly gotten him fired.  Most of the time in his playoff games the other team had more talent, but the losses have not even been close and there was no possible excuse for the '13 loss to the Chargers when we were a big favorite (7 points is huge in the postseason) at home.

So I won't say automatically to fire him based on a loss, but if the whole team looks like crap again I'd say he has to go.

Great post Fred!!  This is how I feel and it's no secret that I am not a Marvin lover.  It's hard to expect him to win a playoff game with a back-up QB, but it has been done before, so he could get it done.  I would cut him some slack and give him another year if like you said, we lose mainly because of McCarron not playing well.

However, if we have the usual playoff team and what appears to be lack of preparation, then it is time to move on.

I do think we are going to win.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: For the love of Christ, the man has been here for 13 years. Just go out and win tonight. Enough ***** excuses.  

That wall of words just seems like a preemptive excuse.  And fwiw, coaches get shit canned all the time for not winning in the postseason. See: Schottenheimer, Marty.

See also: Fox,John
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 02:27 PM)PApinhead Wrote: Great post Fred!!  This is how I feel and it's no secret that I am not a Marvin lover.  It's hard to expect him to win a playoff game with a back-up QB, but it has been done before, so he could get it done.  I would cut him some slack and give him another year if like you said, we lose mainly because of McCarron not playing well.

However, if we have the usual playoff team and what appears to be lack of preparation, then it is time to move on.

I do think we are going to win.

I hear ya, but we can still count the strikes against the guy.  Let's see...

2005 - Carson injured - not on Marvin
2009 - Shank Graham missed 2 FGs under 31 yards, effectively taking Benson out of the game - not on Marvin
2011 - over-achieving rookies, can't even beat a 3rd string QB - doesn't count?  Too many rookies?
2012 - legit loss
2013 - most legit loss ever
2014 - injuries, blah blah blah - not on Marvin
2015 - if we lose it's because we didn't have our ace QB who tossed 1 TD for each 8 turnovers in the playoffs thus far - not on Marvin?
Reply/Quote
It happens in the MLB all the time. Marvin has accomplished a lot in his time here. Then again he's failed year after year to take us to the next level. There's only so much you can hang on your laurels. We've changed coordinators, quarterbacks, and the only thing left that hasn't changed is Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 02:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, but my hunch tells me some would not jump onto the ML train with a win tonight. Maybe I am wrong.

If they win I would no longer want him fired I know that.  It would be enough for me to feel he deserves another year.

Now, no, I wouldnt just turn into his biggest fan overnight. One game isnt going to change an opinion that was formed over 13 years and dozens of games.

It would most likely take a Superbowl appearance, or a spot in AFC Championship at minimum, for me to board the Marvin Lewis train. But a win tonight will shut me up for the time being.  So there's one answer to your question.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I won't say automatically to fire him based on a loss, but if the whole team looks like crap again I'd say he has to go.

This is an excellent point, Fred.  If Cincinnati happens to lose I think retaining Marvin Lewis should depend on how the loss took place.  If the game was close and the Bengals lose on a last second field goal or in overtime, then fine, keep Marvin.  If the game turns out to be a blowout in favor of the Steelers then the case can be made for moving on from Marvin.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2016, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll say it again.  If we lose because Mccarron struggles then I give Marvin a pass.

Most of you know that I have been one of the stronger supporters of Marvin.  The way I see it the '10 season was the only one that should have possibly gotten him fired.  Most of the time in his playoff games the other team had more talent, but the losses have not even been close and there was no possible excuse for the '13 loss to the Chargers when we were a big favorite (7 points is huge in the postseason) at home.

Fred, have you had a checkup lately? This really doesn't sound like you at all. I always thought it had to be one of your relatives who was the last one to be killed at the Alamo. Nervous
Reply/Quote