Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tobin Likes Williams At LT?!
On ESPN.com, it has us taking Sewell, but putting him at right tackle and starting Jonah Williams at left tackle because it says that Tobin says that they believe in Williams at LT?

Quote:Given their needs after a four-win season, the Bengals should have at least one good option when they are on the clock in April's draft. The most obvious selection is Oregon left tackle Penei Sewell, whom ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has going to Cincinnati in his latest mock draft. Tobin suggested the franchise believes 2019 first-round pick Jonah Williams, who has battled injuries in two seasons, has shown flashes of being a solid left tackle when healthy. If the Bengals select Sewell, they could place him at right tackle, which he played in high school.

First off, if Williams could get the job done at LT, we wouldn't need to be looking this hard at the draft and free agents to protect our future in Burrow.

Second, why put an unproven guy there with an injury-ridden first two seasons over a guy like Sewell that has so much potential?

I feel like this would set us back for a year (possibly more) and just wouldn't be a good sign that the franchise is moving in the right direction.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Im more of a fan of the Jonah at LG and Sewell at LT.

One can hope that those 2 on the left side provide a similar kind of dominance the seahawks had back in the 2000's with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson
Reply/Quote
Put the 325 to 330lb Tackle that is a more polished run blocker than pass blocker on the strong side of the line that will see the highest percentage of play side runs... Sounds like a smart idea.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On ESPN.com, it has us taking Sewell, but putting him at right tackle and starting Jonah Williams at left tackle because it says that Tobin says that they believe in Williams at LT?

First off, if Williams could get the job done at LT, we wouldn't need to be looking this hard at the draft and free agents to protect our future in Burrow.  

Second, why put an unproven guy there with an injury-ridden first two seasons over a guy like Sewell that has so much potential?

I feel like this would set us back for a year (possibly more) and just wouldn't be a good sign that the franchise is moving in the right direction.

Thoughts?

I don't think we are looking at guys to replace Williams.  He's far from the problem.  I'm torn on moving him.  He's been good, but he can't stay healthy.  The obvious problems are in the interior and at RT (although Hart isn't nearly as pathetic as everyone makes him out to be)
Reply/Quote
I like the notion of Sewell at RT. Jonah is not a liability at LT. Meanwhile right now RT is a liability.
Reply/Quote
If Sewell is anywhere near the talent people are making him out to be you have to play him at LT.

You have three options if you're the Bengals (and you're smart):

1.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to RT
2.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to LG
3.) Don't draft Sewell (draft someone else), and keep Jonah at LT
Reply/Quote
Now that Pollack will be installing his wide zone scheme I comfortable with Williams at LT. Besides, Sewell has only played LT for a year and a half (he was a guard in HS - and fat as well)
Reply/Quote
Williams was a good LT. I don't think it's a bad idea to have him stay there and have Sewell play RT or even LG for a his rookie year. Rookie offensive linemen are a mixed bag and you don't really want to give them the blindside even if they are enormously gifted.

If Sewell blows training camp out of the water and is just...perfect, then yea you may then talk about moving Williams to RT immediately, but I think the default position should be not to hand the LT job to a rookie who you haven't even drafted yet.

Quote:Second, why put an unproven guy there with an injury-ridden first two seasons over a guy like Sewell that has so much potential?

This statement, literally, makes no sense. How is Williams, our LT from last season and one of the few bright spots on the offensive line as a whole, the unproven guy when compared to a rookie who hasn't played a down since the 2019 college football season?
Reply/Quote
From Jonah's past comments, I know that he wants to be the guy who is the LT, whether it's a pay thing or a pride thing. I hope he is a team player and is willing to be flexible to move positions as needed. Besides, a lot of the NFL's elite edge rushers have been lining up over RTs these days anyways.

My ideal would be Jonah at RT, Sewell at LT, and yes, please fix the guards though free agency or draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:59 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Williams was a good LT. I don't think it's a bad idea to have him stay there and have Sewell play RT or even LG for a his rookie year. Rookie offensive linemen are a mixed bag and you don't really want to give them the blindside even if they are enormously gifted.

If Sewell blows training camp out of the water and is just...perfect, then yea you may then talk about moving Williams to RT immediately, but I think the default position should be not to hand the LT job to a rookie who you haven't even drafted yet.

This statement, literally, makes no sense. How is Williams, our LT from last season and one of the few bright spots on the offensive line as a whole, the unproven guy when compared to a rookie who hasn't played a down since the 2019 college football season?

the line is so bad that a decent young tackle with severe injury concerns is a bright spot.

yes, severe. Guy cannot stay healthy for long. 
Reply/Quote
Jonah has been good when he's played for the most part, especially since all our other tackles have been getting beat like drums the last 3 or 4 years.

With that said, I don't hate the idea of moving him to guard if we end of with Sewell because he might be a great guard too.

I also wonder if playing Sewell at RT is an option I'm not sure why everyone has him penciled in as the LT when Jonah probably fits that side even better than Sewell.
Reply/Quote
I was all in on Jonah; however, injury history cannot be ignored.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On ESPN.com, it has us taking Sewell, but putting him at right tackle and starting Jonah Williams at left tackle because it says that Tobin says that they believe in Williams at LT?

Thoughts?

You are wrong on so much of this, IMO.

1. Jonah Williams was the best pass protector on the Bengals. He's the last person you want to replace on the OL.
2. Sewell has more experience at RT and less experience at LT than Williams does. So logic would dictate you put Sewell at RT because he's more experienced at RT and less experienced at LT.
3. People are looking "hard" to protect Burrow because of OG and RT pass protection. Jordan, Spain, Redmond, and Hart were bad pass blockers. Su'a-Filo was similar to Hopkins in that he was a good pass blocker but not good as a run blocker.
4. RT is just as important as LT in today's era, as there are just as good (if not better) pass rushers coming at the RT as there are at LT.
5. Sewell hasn't played football in over a year, so he might need more training and grooming than Williams. Do you want to take that risk for someone protecting the blind side?
6. Williams didn't play his rookie year because of his shoulder surgery, which the Bengals opted for him to do. They felt it would be better for him in the long run. He played his last year at Alabama on that injured shoulder, and played well. He probably could have played his rookie year if he didn't get the surgery.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Im more of a fan of the Jonah at LG and Sewell at LT.

One can hope that those 2 on the left side provide a similar kind of dominance the seahawks had back in the 2000's with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson

100% agree with this.
Reply/Quote
If we are looking to replace Jonah at LT then they are taking Slater. Sewell will get Burrow hurt if he is shoved at LT day 1. He is a much better fit at RT right now.
Reply/Quote
All the more reason to be okay with passing on Sewell (for Chase, or even Pitts). You can get a RT in round 2 or 3.

I'm in the belief OG (and even C now) is the biggest concern with the line. Hart can be upgraded, but he's at a good price, he's still young, has improved each year, and never played with legit guards.

Again, no one will complain if he is upgraded, and no need to extend him, but the line has bigger concerns right now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 05:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You are wrong on so much of this, IMO.

1. Jonah Williams was the best pass protector on the Bengals. He's the last person you want to replace on the OL.
2. Sewell has more experience at RT and less experience at LT than Williams does. So logic would dictate you put Sewell at RT because he's more experienced at RT and less experienced at LT.
3. People are looking "hard" to protect Burrow because of OG and RT pass protection. Jordan, Spain, Redmond, and Hart were bad pass blockers. Su'a-Filo was similar to Hopkins in that he was a good pass blocker but not good as a run blocker.
4. RT is just as important as LT in today's era, as there are just as good (if not better) pass rushers coming at the RT as there are at LT.
5. Sewell hasn't played football in over a year, so he might need more training and grooming than Williams. Do you want to take that risk for someone protecting the blind side?
6. Williams didn't play his rookie year because of his shoulder surgery, which the Bengals opted for him to do. They felt it would be better for him in the long run. He played his last year at Alabama on that injured shoulder, and played well. He probably could have played his rookie year if he didn't get the surgery.
I thought Fred Johnson played quite well at T (he did not look good at G)  at end of yr so if Jonah cant get off the matt and we do draft Sewell ...I think we may be good at Tackle   
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 06:31 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I thought Fred Johnson played quite well at T (he did not look good at G)  at end of yr so if Jonah cant get off the matt and we do draft Sewell ...I think we may be good at Tackle   

you cant go by end of year stuff. That's fool's gold
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Im more of a fan of the Jonah at LG and Sewell at LT.

That's what id do.

(03-09-2021, 04:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: I like the notion of Sewell at RT. Jonah is not a liability at LT. Meanwhile right now RT is a liability.

Only concern there is, if jonah can't make it there all season, were right back to moving sewell to left tackle. I'd rather him start there and get into a groove than have to transition nidseason.
Reply/Quote
If they get Sewell, Jonah has to move. Simple as that. Don't know if that'll be LG, RG, or RT, but moving Sewell for a guy who is merely an average starter (thus far, I hope he'll get even better) with huge durability concerns would be a terrible idea.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote