Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Today's 11,000 Days Since Last Playoff Win
Thanks Jeremy Hill  ThumbsUp

[img] <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]
Reply/Quote
Meh.

One single playoff win is not really that big of a deal. As soon as we win one the whiners won't celebrate. Instead they will just shift to "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win a championship. Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Meh.

One single playoff win is not really that big of a deal.  As soon as we win one the whiners won't celebrate.  Instead they will just shift to "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win a championship.  Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."

You're absolutely right; playoff wins are not really a big deal at all.

So, the fact we can't even complete the first step, which is "not that big of a deal", in reaching the ultimate goal (a championship) is incredibly disappointing.

The reason people reference a playoff win is because it's specifically relevant to the Bengals.  There's no moving of the goalposts to be had because we haven't even progressed to the next step.  Of course people are going reference playoff wins. 

Why would anyone bemoan the lack of AFC Championship appearances in the last 30 years when we haven't even made it past the wildcard round?

I gotta be completely honest, ANYONE that goes out of their way to defend this drought, or to deflect from it, or to paint others as being unreasonable is really something else.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 03:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You're absolutely right; playoff wins are not really a big deal at all.

So, the fact we can't even complete the first step, which is "not that big of a deal", in reaching the ultimate goal (a championship) is incredibly disappointing.

The reason people reference a playoff win is because it's specifically relevant to the Bengals.  There's no moving of the goalposts to be had because we haven't even progressed to the next step.  Of course people are going reference playoff wins. 

Why would anyone bemoan the lack of AFC Championship appearances in the last 30 years when we haven't even made it past the wildcard round?

I gotta be completely honest, ANYONE that goes out of their way to defend this drought, or to deflect from it, or to paint others as being unreasonable is really something else.  

The "first step" is making the playoffs.  That is what I mean by moving the goalposts.  In the early 2000's all Bengal fans talked about was "making the playoffs".  But then when we went to the playoffs 6 times in 7 years Bengal fans had to change to "winning a playoff game" as the ultimate measure of which teams were most successful.  And as soon as we win a playoff game that will no longer matter.

Not defending the drought.  Just pointing out the nature of how fans change their opinion to enhance their victim status.
Reply/Quote
Really? We're still blaming Jeremy Hill and not the 2 dumbasses that committed back to back stupid penalties.

And here comes the flaming and excuses.

Whatever; don't care, go yell it too a wall.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 06:04 PM)motoarch Wrote: Really?  We're still blaming Jeremy Hill and not the 2 dumbasses that committed back to back stupid penalties.

Well yeah, because if Hill had followed Marvin's instructions, got what he could and gone down securing the ball, the other two boneheads wouldn't have even been on the field. The game was lost on the fumble.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 06:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well yeah, because if Hill had followed Marvin's instructions, got what he could and gone down securing the ball, the other two boneheads wouldn't have even been on the field. The game was lost on the fumble.

We were still ahead after the fumble and the Stealers were far from scoring distance.  Can't call a game a loss in those circumstances.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 03:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks Jeremy Hill  ThumbsUp

[img] <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

In retrospect, I have had a lot of fun in the last 11,000 days.....I was just a child still.  Glad to see some things have worked out even if the Bengals haven't.

One single playoff win is not really that big of a deal.  As soon as we win one the whiners won't celebrate.  Instead they will just shift to "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win a championship.  Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."

When we get that playoff win, I think most of us would breathe a big sigh of relief.  I know I sure was happy and relieved right before Hill fumbled that ball.  Hell, I thought it was all over and we had finally gotten over the hump.

It is kind of a sad to think that some of us just want 1 playoff win.  Had we not lost the last 8 playoff games coupled with the long playoff drought, perhaps it wouldn't be such a big deal.  You're right.  It really isn't that big of a deal to most I think.  A "playoff win" has unfortunately taken on a whole new meaning to many Bengal fans and perhaps the organization itself.  

No one wants to be the perpetual loser.  Not even the Brown family.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 06:04 PM)motoarch Wrote: Really?  We're still blaming Jeremy Hill and not the 2 dumbasses that committed back to back stupid penalties.

You have ONE job to do in that circumstance.  Even in my first year of playing in the third grade I would have known that.  There's only one way the other team even has the opportunity to win, and Hill gave it to them.
Reply/Quote

Right now... one single playoff win would be huge.

It would show a change in culture and be something we haven't had in years.

If we were in Cleveland's situation. Won a playoff game, then got knocked off next round by the Super Bowl team from the Conference, there would be hope. Hope we were close and that we had the right pieces just needed to make a few changes.

Right now... we don't have anything we are 100% sold on besides... Boyd, Higgins, Burrow and Bates. The O-line.. a mess. TE room - a mess. CB play... yikes. LB - an unknown, Pass rush - none, Stop the run.. not so much, RB - can Mixon stay healthy, coaches - no faith. 

A playoff win means that a lot of the above issues are answered, and finally we see hope.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 07:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You have ONE job to do in that circumstance.  Even in my first year of playing in the third grade I would have known that.  There's only one way the other team even has the opportunity to win, and Hill gave it to them.

There is also only ONE job for a defense to do in that circumstance.  Even in my first year playing in the third grade I would have known that.  Ben could barely throw the ball, but we gave them the game with stupid penalties.

The WHOLE TEAM lost that game.  Not saying Hill does not deserve some of the blame, but it is silly to give him ALL the blame.  The Bengals were ahead and the Stealers were far from scoring distance when they got the ball.
Reply/Quote

Ida know man...the top 3 playoff win droughts belong to us (30), the Lions (29), and the Dolphins (20) and the three teams combine for a grand total of 162 championship-free years to go with their 79 playoff win-free years.  It's possible winning a playoff game doesn't mean much as far as knocking on the SB door, but it's hard to look at the top trio of playoff win drought teams and not draw any conclusions.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is also only ONE job for a defense to do in that circumstance.  Even in my first year playing in the third grade I would have known that.  Ben could barely throw the ball, but we gave them the game with stupid penalties.

The WHOLE TEAM lost that game.  Not saying Hill does not deserve some of the blame, but it is silly to give him ALL the blame.  The Bengals were ahead and the Stealers were far from scoring distance when they got the ball.

Plus, if I recall correctly the Steelers playoff loss looked just like the loss to the Cardinals earlier in the year.  We were ahead but we let the QB hit the most obvious WR he was 100000% going to want to throw to and then just to hedge our bets we gave a nice 15 yard pointless penalty to set up a game blowing FG.

If I were a superstitious man I'd say Burfict running around like the game was over after he made that INT was the "Juju danced on our logo" moment that doomed us.  Ah well...Hill is gone so I guess we've been winning playoff games like they're goin' outta style without him, eh?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 08:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Plus, if I recall correctly the Steelers playoff loss looked just like the loss to the Cardinals earlier in the year.  We were ahead but we let the QB hit the most obvious WR he was 100000% going to want to throw to and then just to hedge our bets we gave a nice 15 yard pointless penalty to set up a game blowing FG.

If I were a superstitious man I'd say Burfict running around like the game was over after he made that INT was the "Juju danced on our logo" moment that doomed us.  Ah well...Hill is gone so I guess we've been winning playoff games like they're goin' outta style without him, eh?

As another non superstitious man I'd like to point out that for just about any other team, the game WAS over after that interception. It's poetic justice that this thread pops up the day after Pacman Jones catches another assault charge for an incident that he could've walked away from... Again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Does anyone own a division champs shirt? I always found those shirts/hats funny. Yay we won the division! Which basically equates to nothing more than home field advantage in the AFCN.
Reply/Quote
The Jeremy Hill fumble has reached the Lewis Billups INT status of reasons we lost.

Both players made a good play (Billups defending a pass/ Jeremy rushing for a first down to kill the game) unfortunately neither ended well. But neither lost the game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but if Hill doesn't fumble the ball do the Bengals win that game or not?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 09:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm sorry, but if Hill doesn't fumble the ball do the Bengals win that game or not?

If the defense did not collapse and give the game to the Steelers with stupid penalties the Bengals win.

Hill deserves part of the blame but not all the blame.  The Bengals were ahead and the Steelers were no where close to scoring when Hill gave up the ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 09:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If the defense did not collapse and give the game to the Steelers with stupid penalties the Bengals win.

Hill deserves part of the blame but not all the blame.  The Bengals were ahead and the Steelers were no where close to scoring when Hill gave up the ball.

Hill gave them the ball when he didn't have to. Pretty much everything after that is a moot point. Hill holds onto the ball, Bengals win. Can't give the ball back to the other team in that situation. Especially against the Stealers, who the refs will give every ounce of help they can.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2021, 10:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  Pretty much everything after that is a moot point. 

No.

If Hills fumble gave them the ball close to scoring position then it would have been moot.  But since he did not it is not moot.

If Bengals defense does not implode Bengals still win even with Hill's fumble.

Hill deserves part of the blame, but not all the blame.
Reply/Quote