Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tony Romo
(01-25-2023, 12:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hoard and Lapham come off as such a bizarre duo that it almost seems like a comedy skit more than reality.  You have this spindly play-by-play guy with his nerdy voice trying to explain what is going on while this former player bellows and grunts in reaction to what is happening on the field and you're trying to gauge what is happening based upon the tone of Lap's grunts because you can't hear the actual play-by-play.  Just listening to them without having a visual cue is pretty difficult at times.

Burrow back to pass
*OAAAOUUUUGHH!!!!!!* (I think this means he avoided some sort of pressure)
Takes a deep shot!
*AAAARHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!* (I think that is a good grunt?)
...and the ball is........
OOOOOOOOOOOGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
.....end zone for the touchdown!
WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Good on Lap for still having that fire, but the guy reminds me of when they bring a celebrity fan in who isn't accustomed to the whole play by play process who gets wrapped up in fandom and starts screaming GO GO GO etc. during the broadcast around a live mic.

LOL....pretty accurate !      and of course "PICK!!!!" on every tip or ball within 10 feet of our defender haha.  By conventional standards, Lap might earn his criticism, but as a die-hard Bengals' fan, I would prefer him if listening was the only option.   
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 07:16 PM)basballguy Wrote: LOL that's awesome, never saw that before.  

I don't think you're actually challenging what I said but if you are, Kevin Harlan does play by play, not color.  So we can have Romo and Harlan.  :)

Great clip, thanks for sharing.
I was just having fun.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 11:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Buck should never have been on television and only has his job because of his father.

Aikman has the talking part downpat (though he does sound bored half the time), but his analysis (the main part of his job) sucks: he doesn't break down even half of the stuff that Romo, Trent Green or Collinsworth do.

They are effectively middling.
I hated Joe years ago, but he got better & better. I don't need the plays broken down as much as some people, I have 2 eyes. Romo goes on too much, I wish Nance would tell him to shut up a few times on air.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 12:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hoard and Lapham come off as such a bizarre duo that it almost seems like a comedy skit more than reality.  You have this spindly play-by-play guy with his nerdy voice trying to explain what is going on while this former player bellows and grunts in reaction to what is happening on the field and you're trying to gauge what is happening based upon the tone of Lap's grunts because you can't hear the actual play-by-play.  Just listening to them without having a visual cue is pretty difficult at times.

Burrow back to pass
Takes a deep shot!
WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Good on Lap for still having that fire, but the guy reminds me of when they bring a celebrity fan in who isn't accustomed to the whole play by play process who gets wrapped up in fandom and starts screaming GO GO GO etc. during the broadcast around a live mic.

I am D-E-A-D at this.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
He giggles too much. And likes the sound of his own voice, very hard to listen to.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 10:28 PM)wanga Wrote: He giggles too much. And likes the sound of his own voice, very hard to listen to.

Have you ever met anyone that didn’t like the sound of their own voice? I work with hundreds of those people. :)

Which CBS analysts do you prefer over him?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

Burrow back to pass
Takes a deep shot!
WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

You left out, "Coffin nails!!!"  "BAM   BAM   BAM"

I always loved it but I suppose that I had the advantage that I only ever listened on the radio when I was watching the game live.   Dave's color commentary between plays is the best.  "The turf monster got him."  "He got that big mucker in there!"   Unfortunately the radio broadcast is so delayed now that I have to tune it out except during breaks where he's explaining something that isn't obvious from the stands.

Lapham knows that it's not conventional and he's done straight broadcasts for other events.  But when he started doing Bengals games they asked him to do the games like a fan in a bar and he's done it that way since.

Reply/Quote
Full interview after the Bills game.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 10:30 PM)basballguy Wrote: Have you ever met anyone that didn’t like the sound of their own voice?  I work with hundreds of those people.  :)

Which CBS analysts do you prefer over him?

King George VI, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and my Great Aunty Mabel to name a few that don’t/didn’t. 

Any analyst that doesn’t giggle so much and like the sound of their own voice a lot. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 04:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals have Tony Romo again on Sunday in KC, I believe. He's really starting to annoy me (we are stuck with "Chase is on the case" whenever we re-watch one of Ja'Marr's great runs), but to each his own.

But here is a whole article titled, "Ex-NFL star Tony Romo Faces Scrutiny over Bills Bengals Call." It outlines a whole series of quizzical statements he made during the game.

One person summed it up: "Tony Romo is the college kid who didn’t crack a book all semester but his sure-fire oral exam strategy is to smother the professor with enthusiasm, charm, bluster and every possible answer."

This person kind of sums up my own view: "Tony Romo in the booth was kind of fun at first, but now I just can't stand to listen to him. We don't need an extensive coaching lesson after every single play"

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ex-nfl-star-tony-romo-faces-scrutiny-bills-bengals-call

Mute Button.....I Mute pregame, commercials, sidelines announcer, and a lot of announce BS including Romo....As they are about ready to snap ball, I put on sound. After play and they start talking nonsense, I hit Mute.,,,,Mute helps me focus on The Game and not the plugs for Network TV Shows and other Gibber Gabber taking away from the game itself.   Example : It is 3rd and 4 and announcers are talking about a stat graphic on some other thing.  MUTE, because 3rd and 4 outweighs their nonsense stat graph gibberish. 

So the solution to Romo and announcers and commercials is use that Mute button a lot.  When lined up to snap ball, put sound back on. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote