Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 albums to listen to when stoned to the bejesus
Pink Floyd--Meddle (or Animals, or The Wall, or Money, or Wish You Were Here...or....lol)
Beastie Boys--Anthology (loved all of their albums, and this is a good reperesentation, if I had to pick an original: Ill Communication)
Wu-Tang Clan--Enter the 36 Chambers
Cypress Hill--Black Sunday
The Grateful Dead--Hundred Year Hall or Dead Set

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Samhain pulled out Aquemini by Outkast. Great rap album. The first time I ever heard it I was on a dark, spooky highway between Portland OR and the coast. It blew my mind... Of course I was stoned outta bejesus or whatever.

Another great rap album... The Low End Theory by a Tribe Called Quest. It's great for many reasons, but one of the things that sets it apart from its contemporaries is the lack of cussing. It's almost non-existent.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 06:42 PM)jason Wrote: Samhain pulled out Aquemini by Outkast. Great rap album. The first time I ever heard it I was on a dark, spooky highway between Portland OR and the coast. It blew my mind... Of course I was stoned outta bejesus or whatever.

Another great rap album... The Low End Theory by a Tribe Called Quest. It's great for many reasons, but one of the things that sets it apart from its contemporaries is the lack of cussing. It's almost non-existent.

Low End Theory is great. One of the reasons I like Ill Communication so well is Tip's appearance on the album. Have you heard their new one?

Reply/Quote
No Zeppelin anywhere, huh?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 12:38 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Low End Theory is great. One of the reasons I like Ill Communication so well is Tip's appearance on the album. Have you heard their new one?
I've only heard the one song. I wasn't overly impressed, but I didn't really like anything they did after Midnight Marauders either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 01:19 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: No Zeppelin anywhere, huh?

Houses of the Holy would definitely be in my top 10.

(01-24-2017, 01:28 PM)jason Wrote: I've only heard the one song. I wasn't overly impressed, but I didn't really like anything they did after Midnight Marauders either.

That's all I've heard, I was just curious if anyone had listened to it.  If you're referring to the track they did on SNL, I wasn't diggin' it much either.  I wanna hear that gold Wu Tang joint ol buddy is supposed to release.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Houses of the Holy would definitely be in my top 10.

That's all I've heard, I was just curious if anyone had listened to it.  If you're referring to the track they did on SNL, I wasn't diggin' it much either.  I wanna hear that gold Wu Tang joint ol buddy is supposed to release.
You talking about that Wu Tang record where only one copy was printed?

There was a really interesting series that was on PBS up here a while back. It was called Soundbreaking. It's just about recorded music over different time periods. The episode on sampling had the Wu Tang on it. They came from Staten Island, and were pretty much cut off from the rest of the NYC scene. Everything else was moving toward the slick Death Row and Bad Boy production. These guys were using equipment that wasn't state of the art, and we're sampling old Kung Fu flicks, because they couldn't afford to sample real songs like everybody else.... There was a lot on there about the Paul's Boutique era Beastie Boys too. I think that's what made me dust off the old Check Your Head record.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Houses of the Holy would definitely be in my top 10.

If you're REALLY stoned try Robert Plant and Alison Krauss collaboration "Raising Sand".

I wish I could have that woman sing me lullabies every night.
Reply/Quote
Robin Trower--Bridge of Sighs
Roy Buchanon--Live Stock
Van Morrison--It's Too Late To Stop Now
Dave Mason--Alone Together
The Clash--Combat Rock
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:42 PM)McC Wrote: Robin Trower--Bridge of Sighs
Roy Buchanon--Live Stock
Van Morrison--It's Too Late To Stop Now
Dave Mason--Alone Together
The Clash--Combat Rock
I saw Joe Strummer from the Clash, and he played Straight to Hell off Combat Rock. He did a few other Clash songs that night, but he still nailed that one in his late 40's.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 07:55 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If you're REALLY stoned try Robert Plant and Alison Krauss collaboration "Raising Sand".

Alison Krauss is great. I really like the stuff she did with Union Station too.

If she won't come and sing you to sleep, you could always pop the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack in... Built in lullaby.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:27 PM)jason Wrote: Alison Krauss is great. I really like the stuff she did with Union Station too.

If she won't come and sing you to sleep, you could always pop the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack in... Built in lullaby.

Have you ever seen "Down From the Mountain"? It's the soundtrack performed live. It's fantastic.

That's a top 5 favorite movie o mine, btw.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 07:55 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If you're REALLY stoned try Robert Plant and Alison Krauss collaboration "Raising Sand".

Oh heck yes! That's an awesome cd! Allison Kraus is amazing!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:36 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Have you ever seen "Down From the Mountain"? It's the soundtrack performed live. It's fantastic.

That's a top 5 favorite movie o mine, btw.
No... I haven't. I just looked it up on YouTube. It had some chopped up version of it. I'd like to check that out though.

That movie's so good. I often find myself quoting it as a tension breaker. When the wife has you cornered in an argument... "It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:57 PM)jason Wrote: You talking about that Wu Tang record where only one copy was printed?

There was a really interesting series that was on PBS up here a while back. It was called Soundbreaking. It's just about recorded music over different time periods. The episode on sampling had the Wu Tang on it. They came from Staten Island, and were pretty much cut off from the rest of the NYC scene. Everything else was moving toward the slick Death Row and Bad Boy production. These guys were using equipment that wasn't state of the art, and we're sampling old Kung Fu flicks, because they couldn't afford to sample real songs like everybody else.... There was a lot on there about the Paul's Boutique era Beastie Boys too. I think that's what made me dust off the old Check Your Head record.

Yup.....that's the one.  He has released some teasers....as he wagered its release on the success of the Cheeto Man's success....and has promised to release the full album to the public.

Interesting background info there.  I loved Paul's Boutique as well.

Reply/Quote
Ghost - Meliora

DethKlok - Deathalbum 1  (2 and 3 are good as well)
Led Zeppelin - Zoso (or 4)
Metallica S & M
The Doors - The Doors
Alice in Chains - uplugged
Are some of my favs...

But if you really wanna Laugh.... Stephen Lynch - Super Hero

or for something very different anything Richard Cheese
Reply/Quote
Props to whoever mentioned Pavement, though my favorite album is 'Terror Twilight' followed by 'Brighten the Corners'.

Sublime - '40oz to Freedom', though I'd prefer 'Second Hand Smoke' or the acoustic 'Bradley Nowell & friends'.

The Beatles - The White Album

Marcy Playground - Marcy Playground (very under rated album)

Built to spill - Keep it Like a Secret
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2017, 01:17 PM)jason Wrote: All great choices. I'm not overly familiar with that Radiohead record. I respect them, but wouldn't call myself a fan. I can't say that I've heard all of the Outsiders either, but Eric Church is decent as far as modern hit country goes.

I'd like to add...

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers

Ween - Chocolate and Cheese

The Clash - Sandanista

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle

Saw Pavement back in like 97 at Bogart's and a few other times as well.  It was basically guaranteed that there would be some dude there yelling "Conduit for Sale!!" repeatedly even AFTER they'd already played the song.  
Reply/Quote
I'm throwing out 2 more.

George Harrison, Cloud 9.

The Who, Quadrophenia. God Damn, John Entwhistle was amazing. There's almost no single musician that I think was given more clarity by being stoned. You could focus in on any of Entwhistle, Moon, or Townsend and get lost in what they were playing, but the bass was like no other. Also, Pete Townsend always seemed like a guy that played fairly simple and sparing riffs, but when you're under the influence, you really start to see how complicated his songwriting style really was.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 11:33 AM)samhain Wrote: I'm throwing out 2 more.

George Harrison, Cloud 9.  

The Who, Quadrophenia.  God Damn, John Entwhistle was amazing.  There's almost no single musician that I think was given more clarity by being stoned.  You could focus in on any of Entwhistle, Moon, or Townsend and get lost in what they were playing, but the bass was like no other.  Also, Pete Townsend always seemed like a guy that played fairly simple and sparing riffs, but when you're under the influence, you really start to see how complicated his songwriting style really was.

Agreed, Phil Lesh is a beast on the bass too.....you really never pick up on the subtle nuances of his playing until you hear it on live albums and with a buzz.  He drives the band.

Reply/Quote