Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tough Year
(12-31-2023, 09:39 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Without the injuries the Bengals could of been looking to make it back to the Super Bowl.... I think it's clear how the AFC turned out that it was in the cards...

Defense clearly has issues the secondary can't cover anyone and outside of Hendrickson we aren't getting to the QB.

Thanks everyone for making this year on the board a great one despite the heart aches.

Next year the Bengals will regroup and make a run at it.

Enjoy another cold one together.

Who Dey!

The Browns had a TON of injuries and they looked just fine... I'm kind of over the Chase, Boyd, Tee trio...it doesn't produce anything to be honest... and I'm willing to bet either Chase, Boyd, and Tee would look better in Cleveland with the better coaching or, they play uninspired in Cincinnati. 

I'm guessing it's the first option and the coaches here need a new set of players because they cant get anything out of these 3 if injuries happen..
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:33 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: There is very little if any advantage to the “4th place schedule”.  With the exception of three opponents, the schedule is predetermined. Six division games, four against all of AFC west, four against all of NFC east, AFC south 4th place (Titans), AFC east 4th place (Patriots), NFC south 4th place (Panthers).

I expect a better record next year, but not because of the schedule.

Disagree 110%

Playing a struggling NFL team is hands down better than playing the Chiefs, and Buffalo ever year.

Whatever your thought process is on this... get rid of it. WOW
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is it tho because there was a lot of rumbling about the team not being up to standards outside of the SF game. 

People weren't feeling all that hot about this season even with Burrow starting.

Folks have forgot.

I guess the Buffalo game didn’t happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:40 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: The Browns had a TON of injuries and they looked just fine... I'm kind of over the Chase, Boyd, Tee trio...it doesn't produce anything to be honest... and I'm willing to bet either Chase, Boyd, and Tee would look better in Cleveland with the better coaching or, they play uninspired in Cincinnati. 

I'm guessing it's the first option and the coaches here need a new set of players because they cant get anything out of these 3 if injuries happen..

I'm guessing it's because Burrow was injured for the vast majority of the year?

Cmon we just giving bad end of the year takes now?
Reply/Quote
Some of you Bengals pessimistic fans need to understand that 99% of the time the season depends on your healthy franchise QB.

These takes are absolutely hilarious and perhaps driven by some alcohol hopefully.

Bengals will be fine in 2024 once Burrow is back under center... we will reload.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:41 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Disagree 110%

Playing a struggling NFL team is hands down better than playing the Chiefs, and Buffalo ever year.

Whatever your thought process is on this... get rid of it. WOW

Uh…we play the Chiefs again next year as well as the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos all teams we historically struggle with. As for the Bills, we own them.

Just saying this 4th place schedule thing is a fantasy. This is the NFL, every team tries to improve their roster. What happened this year doesn’t matter next September, everyone starts at zero.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:52 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Uh…we play the Chiefs again next year as well as the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos all teams we historically struggle with. As for the Bills, we own them.

Just saying this 4th place schedule thing is a fantasy. This is the NFL, every team tries to improve their roster. What happened this year doesn’t matter next September, everyone starts at zero.

This includes my pick to win it the Ravens, plus the Browns and Steelers. I am confident we won't go 0-6 against the AFC North with a healthy Je Burrow. If we had split in the AFCN, we get 11 wins.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
With or without Burrow, Cincinnati wasn’t winning anything.

The defensive side of the ball was a disaster. From coaching to each and every position group.

Anarumo was badly exposed. Made mistakes drafting Dax Hill and DJ Turner based on athleticism and measurables rather than football talent and instinct.

Jordan Battle was a good pick and I love CTB, but our secondary is a huge question mark.

LBs regressed bigly. Both Pratt and Wilson were extremely disappointing.

Sam Hubbard was on milk cartons. Reader’s wonderful career as a Bengal may be over. Hill’s good. DL as a unit is a major weakness. Trey Hendrickson can only do so much.

Boyd is gone, Higgins might be, and thus WR may be a need.

Gotta find a TE.

I’m not as panic-stricken over the OL. Pollack needs to be gone, and they have to upgrade from Volson. Letting Jonah walk means they need to replace 2 starters. I don’t think they’ll pay him.

Brad Robbins was a ***** car crash. He has to be cut the minute game 17 ends.

I think it’s safe to say we finally have that backup QB. Browning was a revelation and a joy to watch.

Loved Chase Brown’s emergence and I thought Mixon had a really good year. Would be happy to run it back with those guys next year.

Zac Taylor’s a great head coach but he’s got to give the playbook to someone else. He’s an awful play caller. This nonsense has to end.

Really rough season. Frustrating as hell almost every week. Actually glad it’s over because it was more frustrating than fun.

And make no mistake - 2024 isn’t magically going to be better just because Burrow is back. Again, this team wasn’t winning the SB or even the conference with him. Lots of questions on both sides of the ball.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Please don't flame me for this but I hope they play all back ups against the Frowns and their backups and lose BIG.

Slightly improves our draft slot and gives Mikey another Frowns loss (you gotta know he hates those losses more than any other team) to use against Zac when it comes to the "it's time for a real OC" chat I hope The Family has scheduled ASAP.

As for my feelings on this season. I think I yelled at my TV more this year than I have at any point in the ZT era. From the mind blowing ineptitude of getting a running game going / Browning ready to start the year while trotting out a gimpy Burrow to the total defensive faceplant everyone NOT NAMED TREY HENDRICKSON had this year. It was maddening. I called Zac and Brian and Frank and Lou so many names this year I need to go to confession to cleanse my soul.

Here's to hoping Frank Polyp, Brian Callahan, and whoever -our-secondary-coach-is find employment elsewhere in 2024, however that may come about.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: With or without Burrow, Cincinnati wasn’t winning anything.

The defensive side of the ball was a disaster. From coaching to each and every position group.

Anarumo was badly exposed. Made mistakes drafting Dax Hill and DJ Turner based on athleticism and measurables rather than football talent and instinct.

Jordan Battle was a good pick and I love CTB, but our secondary is a huge question mark.

LBs regressed bigly. Both Pratt and Wilson were extremely disappointing.

Sam Hubbard was on milk cartons. Reader’s wonderful career as a Bengal may be over. Hill’s good. DL as a unit is a major weakness. Trey Hendrickson can only do so much.

Boyd is gone, Higgins might be, and thus WR may be a need.

Gotta find a TE.

I’m not as panic-stricken over the OL. Pollack needs to be gone, and they have to upgrade from Volson. Letting Jonah walk means they need to replace 2 starters. I don’t think they’ll pay him.

Brad Robbins was a ***** car crash. He has to be cut the minute game 17 ends.

I think it’s safe to say we finally have that backup QB. Browning was a revelation and a joy to watch.

Loved Chase Brown’s emergence and I thought Mixon had a really good year. Would be happy to run it back with those guys next year.

Zac Taylor’s a great head coach but he’s got to give the playbook to someone else. He’s an awful play caller. This nonsense has to end.

Really rough season. Frustrating as hell almost every week. Actually glad it’s over because it was more frustrating than fun.

And make no mistake - 2024 isn’t magically going to be better just because Burrow is back. Again, this team wasn’t winning the SB or even the conference with him. Lots of questions on both sides of the ball.

I literally agree w every word of that except for needing a TE.

Tanner Hudson is “good enough” as we have so many other fish (WHALES) to fry.

Throw in the fact Awuzie lost several steps this year and is slower than Nick Scott (if that’s even possible) - then that’s a wrap.

For me most salient point is that getting a healthy Burrow back doesn’t even come close to solving all of our problems. We need speed-everywhere, a better OLine and an overhaul on D. Need a punter too. Too much to change in one post-season.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 09:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: Steelers and Browns with their Qb issues have dominated Bengals. Ravens have the best QB in the Division. If he stays healthy I don’t see them falling off

We know you're ridiculous, but my god are you hyperbolic tonight.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
That take was luke warm…..and possible room temp. Burrow, thanks to the Defense has gotten through the playoffs but he hasn’t had the seasons Lamar working on his 2nd MVP and AP has had. Not even the record.

I don’t think that was as outrageous as you’d like folks to think.

It was always debatable if Burrow was better than a healthy Lamar.

And now that neither can stay healthy it certainly is up for debate.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Lamar is great, but he plays for a team and a coach that won a Super Bowl 5 years before he got there.

Burrow joined a team with an upstart HC (who looked like a disaster), and a franchise that hadn’t won a playoff game in 3 decades.

They did not start from the same place.

Reply/Quote
WVU's QB Garrett Greene finished as PFFs #6 FBS QB in 2023... I still don't know if he can read open or closed middle of the field defense. I watch Lamar and I half wonder the same thing because most of his throws look so damn easy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 09:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: With the expected turnover and questions at QB (ability to stay healthy) moving forward. The window has been slammed shut. We can’t compete in the AFCN. Nowhere close to competing with the other teams. And look to have the worst coaching staff of the 4.

Oh look!  It's Mr Happy!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 12:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: That take was luke warm…..and possible room temp. Burrow, thanks to the Defense has gotten through the playoffs but he hasn’t had the seasons Lamar working on his 2nd MVP and AP has had. Not even the record.

I don’t think that was as outrageous as you’d like folks to think.

It was always debatable if Burrow was better than a healthy Lamar.

And now that neither can stay healthy it certainly is up for debate.

Lamar will have under 4000 yards and under 30 TDs. He has some great games and a lot of average games. The NFL should maybe think outside the box and not automatically give it to a QB.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Lamar will have under 4000 yards and under 30 TDs. He has some great games and a lot of average games. The NFL should maybe think outside the box and not automatically give it to a QB.

I personally think it should go to CMC.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 01:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I personally think it should go to CMC.

Certainly a great case for him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:40 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: The Browns had a TON of injuries and they looked just fine... I'm kind of over the Chase, Boyd, Tee trio...it doesn't produce anything to be honest... and I'm willing to bet either Chase, Boyd, and Tee would look better in Cleveland with the better coaching or, they play uninspired in Cincinnati. 

I'm back on the we need an offensive shakeup train. Look at the trio Boyd is an afterthought in this offense because he's not as explosive but our most creative way to get Chase the ball is screens? I mean how many times do we need to see that not work to realize we need to do something else. I really think there was some behind the scenes drama of some sort we weren't aware of. I mean for two game (Jax and Indy) the offense felt fresh and was moving with Browning. Then we return to more of all responsibilities fall on the QB even in the Minnesota game Browning was just bailed out by some really good plays by guys. Not sure why? 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:13 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Please don't flame me for this but I hope they play all back ups against the Frowns and their backups and lose BIG.

Slightly improves our draft slot and gives Mikey another Frowns loss (you gotta know he hates those losses more than any other team) to use against Zac when it comes to the "it's time for a real OC" chat I hope The Family has scheduled ASAP.

As for my feelings on this season. I think I yelled at my TV more this year than I have at any point in the ZT era. From the mind blowing ineptitude of getting a running game going / Browning ready to start the year while trotting out a gimpy Burrow to the total defensive faceplant everyone NOT NAMED TREY HENDRICKSON had this year. It was maddening. I called Zac and Brian and Frank and Lou so many names this year I need to go to confession to cleanse my soul.

Here's to hoping Frank Polyp, Brian Callahan, and whoever -our-secondary-coach-is find employment elsewhere in 2024, however that may come about.

I agree in hoping we lose to the Browns. Which means we probably will win a total meaningless game that only hurts us. It may also be our only hope of having any kind of shakeup to the offense. The running game was maddening to me as well especially early. I know alot of people want to point to Mixon which there is some merit to that but why did we refuse to let any other RB get carries. 
Reply/Quote