Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trade Your First Rounder For Foles?
(02-05-2018, 10:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Note the Eagles actually CHANGED THEIR OFFENSE to fit Foles skillset. They also already had an effective Offensive Line. Look what happened when Lazor finally won the internal fight and was allowed to overrule Piano Man over OL blocking schemes. PPG shot up to 28.5, rush YPG shot up to 144, everything looked better.

Are we set? No! We need a new LT and a new C more than we need a new QB or new WR or new TE. This has historically under Mikey been the issue with the franchise - they don't understand you build champions from the lines out and build the lines from the inside out.

This. Right. Here.  So many people think you just swap QBs and all is well.  Very few understand the intricacies of the game and the impact coaching/scheme has on a team.  They also think having one of the worst lines in the league has little bearing on offensive production.  I blame fantasy and video games.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:17 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....but he only played 5 games behind it, and they switched up schemes going into the playoffs, something it took our staff 12 weeks to friggin figure out. Mellow

Yeah, just pointing out the Eagles line wasn’t particularly good at pass protection this season.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, just pointing out the Eagles line wasn’t particularly good at pass protection this season.

I didn't watch a whole lot of their games, to be honest.  They looked good run blocking, and put on a good show in the playoffs though. The sack numbers say they weren't that great in pass pro....so I'll go along with that.  I'd also like to add, I'm all for drafting a QB, or even landing one in FA, although we all know the latter won't happen.  I just want to see them fix the line, and finally coach to players' strengths vs shoving round pegs in square holes.  I have my doubts with Merv.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Ironic isn't it that Foles hasn't had a single season when he started all 16 games and has pretty much been a career backup / fringe starter..
The post season is still played by the same rules and same players as the rest of the season, but for some reason or another when any player goes on a post season tear and appears to have found all the answers to whatever has held them back their entire careers folks seem willing to just throw out all of the past history to annoint them as the greatest player of a generation..
Meanwhile back in Conspiracy theory-land, you know that mythical place that doesn't exist unless your team is losing somehow a 41 year old man is for reasons yet to be explained to my satisfaction can routinely beat out hundreds of other players half his age and completely defy the entire aging process the rest of the human race is subject to.. Something isn't adding up, but never mind that. Nick Foles had a handful of pretty good performances and therefore will never be subject to the same problems he had in years past...
To answer the original question, no I would not give up a first round pick for a career backup / fringe starter.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, just pointing out the Eagles line wasn’t particularly good at pass protection this season.

And my point was, Wentz played most of their season behind that line and tore his ACL. Foles may or may not hold up for a full season behind a crappy line, but we know Dalton is tougher than he gets credit for and has played behind a crappy line for several seasons now and is still going strong.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And my point was, Wentz played most of their season behind that line and tore his ACL. Foles may or may not hold up for a full season behind a crappy line, but we know Dalton is tougher than he gets credit for and has played behind a crappy line for several seasons now and is still going strong.

Didn't Wentz injure himself on a QB sneak? I am not sure on that.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 02:57 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Didn't Wentz injure himself on a QB sneak? I am not sure on that.

Could be, I'm not sure. My point remains the same though, to play behind our line we need a durable QB who can remain healthy all season. We know we have that with Dalton for the most part.... Foles durability when getting hit often is still an unknown....
Reply/Quote
At this point, Andy Dalton and AJM wear Nick Foles pajamas to bed.
Reply/Quote
No. While Nick Foles played tremendous, the coaches were aggressive all game. Do you expect Marvin to call a game like that? Or go conservative/play field position?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if Foles is the answer but i have little faith in Dalton. Foles is a SB champion who dominated in the playoffs, i'd trade a first rounder for him and ship Dalton for perhaps a second rounder.
Reply/Quote
No. Flash in pan QB who failed in extended starter role once before. / thread
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:16 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'm not sure if Foles is the answer but i have little faith in Dalton. Foles is a SB champion who dominated in the playoffs, i'd trade a first rounder for him and ship Dalton for perhaps a second rounder.

Didn't Flacco catch fire in the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 08:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Didn't Flacco catch fire in the playoffs?

Yes, why do you think they call him Joe Fluke-O?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No. While Nick Foles played tremendous, the coaches were aggressive all game. Do you expect Marvin to call a game like that? Or go conservative/play field position?

I'd say a lot of it would have to do with how your QB is performing. Kinda silly to be aggressive on offense when you QB is having passer ratings in the 40s-60s, You might be better served to go conservative/field position; don't you agree? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: If you were the GM in Cincy, would you trade your first rounder for Foles? He only has 7 million on his contract for this upcoming year and you can get draft picks in a trade with Dalton and the jury is still out on what value you get out of AJ.

Would you do it? Would you go after Foles?

Nah
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We should take our 1st round pick add Pacman, Bodine, and Ced then trade for a top 3 pick in first round.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: If you were the GM in Cincy, would you trade your first rounder for Foles? He only has 7 million on his contract for this upcoming year and you can get draft picks in a trade with Dalton and the jury is still out on what value you get out of AJ.

Nice subject to debate! 

Its a nope for me, i dont think with our curent offensive line than he could do better than Andy Dalton does, if it happens it will be a big waste of 1st round pick! A lot of things to fix on this club before thinking of a trade to find a new QB, my opinion! 
[Image: aj_green_by_augizt-d46yv55.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 08:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd say a lot of it would have to do with how your QB is performing. Kinda silly to be aggressive on offense when you QB is having passer ratings in the 40s-60s, You might be better served to go conservative/field position; don't you agree? 

This is going by the mantra that Nick Foles plays like he did during the Super Bowl. Would you think Marvin goes for the FG or TD on that 4th down in the first half?

Or do you think Marvin would go for it on 4th down at his own 45 yard line with more than 5 minutes to go, or do you think he would play field position?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:20 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: This is going by the mantra that Nick Foles plays like he did during the Super Bowl. Would you think Marvin goes for the FG or TD on that 4th down in the first half?

Or do you think Marvin would go for it on 4th down at his own 45 yard line with more than 5 minutes to go, or do you think he would play field position?

Obviously Peterson was more aggressive than 30 other NFL Head Coaches would have been in that game; however, that does not change the fact that if your QB is dropping dimes, the decision to be aggressive is much easier to make. 

Sort of an apples to oranges comparison; as every playoff game Marvin has coached his QBs have crapped the bed. Well AJM didn't completely crb the bed, but he was a replacement QB playing a tough divisional foe. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Nope.  With those coaches and that offensive line, Dalton would've been named MVP too.  Easy.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote