Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trade candidates thread!
If we need more help at DT why dont we activate Davis from the practice squad and see what he can do in a game. He looked good in preseason
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 12:29 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: It would be a one year rental.  He can be cut after this year with no ramifications to the cap. The bengals have the means to do that with the available 2023 cal space left.  

I hear you on 31, but he is still a great Tight end right now.

The problem is the cap space they have this year can be rolled over to next year to help sign guys like maybe Reader.  Im just not sure Waller would be worth spending the money to rent him for one year when that money could be used to keep our own guys.  Plus Waller would require a draft pick.   I just dont think he would bring enough value to give all that up for a one year rental not that he isnt a good TE.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 06:21 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is the cap space they have this year can be rolled over to next year to help sign guys like maybe Reader.  Im just not sure Waller would be worth spending the money to rent him for one year when that money could be used to keep our own guys.  Plus Waller would require a draft pick.   I just dont think he would bring enough value to give all that up for a one year rental not that he isnt a good TE.

If the Bengals were to trade for Darren Waller they are only on the line for his base salary so in 2023 that would be 1.1m base salary and that's all it counts against the cap (less acutally because its week 7). Since the are not liable for the guarantees they can cut Waller with zero dead cap before rhe 2024 season or keep him at his 10m base salary. 

Essentially it's a very cheap contract to just finish this year alone so I wouldn't see a team giving up more than a 6th round pick. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 06:21 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is the cap space they have this year can be rolled over to next year to help sign guys like maybe Reader.  Im just not sure Waller would be worth spending the money to rent him for one year when that money could be used to keep our own guys.  Plus Waller would require a draft pick.   I just dont think he would bring enough value to give all that up for a one year rental not that he isnt a good TE.

At what point do we need to stop worrying about next year and go “all in”, in a current year,

I’m not saying “f them picks”… but seriously let’s consider throwing some day 3 picks to guys unlikely to contribute anyway if it’s going to help our cause this year. After this year, it will only get harder to field a balanced team.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 05:35 PM)J24 Wrote: Duke and Lou both know him well and he's played well for the past two years. IDG why giving up a 6th RD pick for him is so controversial to you?

All I'm saying is he would be a nice player in the rotation!

I don't have a problem with giving up a pick for a player who would have a serious impact on the team's performance.  What you are talking about is simply "shuffling the deck" for the sake of making a change.  Getting rid of players that the team already made a choice to keep on the team this year, and bringing back players that already had their opportunity to make their name as Bengals and other underperforming players from outside sources isn't likely to do much for the chemistry of the team let alone performance as a unit. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Add Antonio Gibson RB from the commanders to the list.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-trade-deadline-davante-adams-chase-young-among-10-players-who-need-to-be-dealt-to-a-new-team/
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't have a problem with giving up a pick for a player who would have a serious impact on the team's performance.  What you are talking about is simply "shuffling the deck" for the sake of making a change.  Getting rid of players that the team already made a choice to keep on the team this year, and bringing back players that already had their opportunity to make their name as Bengals and other underperforming players from outside sources isn't likely to do much for the chemistry of the team let alone performance as a unit. 
No, I'm not shuffling the deck instead I am suggesting that we should add a good player too our Dline rotation.

For example Andrew Billings is currently 15th in pass rush win rate! Now i dont know about you but having two Nose Tackles that can rush passer would add another element to the defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38356170/2023-nfl-pass-rush-run-stop-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#prwr
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 07:58 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: At what point do we need to stop worrying about next year and go “all in”, in a current year,  

I’m not saying “f them picks”… but seriously let’s consider throwing some day 3 picks to guys unlikely to contribute anyway if it’s going to help our cause this year.  After this year, it will only get harder to field a balanced team.

That's exactly my philosophy.

How many 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders are we seeing turn into good offensive/defensive starters on the Bengals?
Those rounds are meant for backups and ST guys.

If you can get an impactful offensive/defensive player by trading just a 5th, 6th, or 7th, you should do it, IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What about Juwan Johnson, TE from the Saints?

He's on a cheap deal for this year and then would cost just $5.5 mill next year. However, since there wouldn't be any guarantees from the Bengals side, they could move on if they didn't want him to stick around.

In New Orleans, Johnson may become the TE3 as he's trying to come back from a late-September injury.
They have a 3-headed monster at TE between Johnson, Moreau, and Taysom Hill.
They really don't need all 3, so I think they might be open to trading Johnson.

Last year, Johnson put up 42 receptions on 65 targets for 508 yards and 7 TDs. 12.1 YPR.

Johnson came into the league as a big WR (6'4", 230 lbs) but as a TE he's rather athletic and fast.
4.58 40-yard dash
1.62 10-yard split
6.94 3-cone

The Saints are shockingly $87 mill OVER the cap for next year, so they definitely are going to need to move on from some players.
What better way than move on from Johnson to start freeing up some cap now?

Or the Saints could consider trading Moreau, which would make a lot of sense for the Bengals given they had interest in him during FA, but I doubt they would do that now that they've been using him more.

Either would be better than Irv Smith.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 11:09 PM)J24 Wrote: No, I'm not shuffling the deck instead I am suggesting that we should add a good player too our Dline rotation.

For example Andrew Billings is currently 15th in pass rush win rate! Now i dont know about you but having two Nose Tackles that can rush passer would add another element to the defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38356170/2023-nfl-pass-rush-run-stop-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#prwr

Yeah, and quietly worked his way to a 2 year extension today with the Bears as a key piece for their future.  Good for Billings!
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 06:02 PM)Yogo Wrote: Yeah, and quietly worked his way to a 2 year extension today with the Bears as a key piece for their future.  Good for Billings!

Good for Billings alright! Rock On
Reply/Quote