Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade options on draft day with QB needy teams
Ok someone will be looking to trade up on draft day to get a QB who is available. Here is my list of teams that I think will look to move up within the first 15 picks, as I dont want to pick outside 15.

1) Carolina-8, 39, 73, 103, 134, 168
2) Denver-9, 40, 71, 104, 135, 166, 199, 201, 216
3) SF-12, 43, 107, 138, 169, 192, 202
4) NE-15, 46, 110, 141, 161, 205

Best case scenerio is a bidding war for the 5th pick, as I see us in a perfect spot, we've done draft trades with Denver before and I'm betting there the best option, followed by Carolina. I want at least a 3rd and 5th from Carolina/Denver, while a trade with SF/NE would require a 2nd and 4th pick with a 7th thrown in. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I truly feel the Jets are the mark of anybody is trading up for a QB. I think the 5th pick is really only valuable to us. Even if someone does wanna move up... It depends who's there for us.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It really is amazing what you can get by trading just a few spots if there's a team that desperately wants a QB with your spot.

The Jets traded up to the Colts 3rd spot to draft Sam Darnold. They gave up the 6th pick, two 2nd round picks that year, and another 2nd round the following year. So by moving down just three spots the Colts got a total of three 2nd round picks.

This is why I'm all for trading back, especially if we still stay in the top 10. We have so many holes and that's just too much compensation to pass up.

The only problem is, going off a lot of the current mocks, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields are projected to go in front of us. But if one of them is still there, and we can find the right trade partner? Why the hell not?

Could you imagine if we, hypothetically, moved from 5 to 8 and still managed to get Kyle Pitts and picked up 3 extra 2nd round picks?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The only problem is, going off a lot of the current mocks, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields are projected to go in front of us.  But if one of them is still there, and we can find the right trade partner?  Why the hell not?

Justin Fields' draft stock is falling hard right now. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 12:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Justin Fields' draft stock is falling hard right now. 

Is it?  I really don't follow a lot of the mock stuff.  But I checked out a few of earlier this week and I think everyone had him going 4 to the Falcons.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It really is amazing what you can get by trading just a few spots if there's a team that desperately wants a QB with your spot.

The Jets traded up to the Colts 3rd spot to draft Sam Darnold.  They gave up the 6th pick, two 2nd round picks that year, and another 2nd round the following year.  So by moving down just three spots the Colts got a total of three 2nd round picks.

This is why I'm all for trading back, especially if we still stay in the top 10.  We have so many holes and that's just too much compensation to pass up.

The only problem is, going off a lot of the current mocks, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields are projected to go in front of us.  But if one of them is still there, and we can find the right trade partner?  Why the hell not?

Could you imagine if we, hypothetically, moved from 5 to 8 and still managed to get Kyle Pitts and picked up 3 extra 2nd round picks?
Thats the scenario Im hoping for too. It will be interesting to see where Watson ends up before the draft which could have a big impact on this. 
After Fields latest performance  and assuming he is still there I see some QB starved teams coughing up more than they should at #5. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is it?  I really don't follow a lot of the mock stuff.  But I checked out a few of earlier this week and I think everyone had him going 4 to the Falcons.

I still think he will go top 10 to a needy QB team because he is physically everything you want but people are worried about the mental part of the game with Fields. He never looks off his primary target he only went to his secondary read like 10 times the entire 2020 season and he has horrible eye discipline that will result in a TON of interceptions in the NFL.

Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson are the top of the class then right now its a toss up between Justin Fields and Trey Lance.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 11:35 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: Ok someone will be looking to trade up on draft day to get a QB who is available. Here is my list of teams that I think will look to move up within the first 15 picks, as I dont want to pick outside 15.

Best case scenerio is a bidding war for the 5th pick, as I see us in a perfect spot, we've done draft trades with Denver before and I'm betting there the best option, followed by Carolina. I want at least a 3rd and 5th from Carolina/Denver, while a trade with SF/NE would require a 2nd and 4th pick with a 7th thrown in. Thoughts?

On draft simulation I just did I traded back with SF for their 2022 1/4 picks, took Darrisaw with 12 pick , cant fix the team in 1 draft so I liked adding 2022 picks
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is it?  I really don't follow a lot of the mock stuff.  But I checked out a few of earlier this week and I think everyone had him going 4 to the Falcons.

Saw 2 this week have out of top 10
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It really is amazing what you can get by trading just a few spots if there's a team that desperately wants a QB with your spot.

The Jets traded up to the Colts 3rd spot to draft Sam Darnold.  They gave up the 6th pick, two 2nd round picks that year, and another 2nd round the following year.  So by moving down just three spots the Colts got a total of three 2nd round picks.

This is why I'm all for trading back, especially if we still stay in the top 10.  We have so many holes and that's just too much compensation to pass up.

The only problem is, going off a lot of the current mocks, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields are projected to go in front of us.  But if one of them is still there, and we can find the right trade partner?  Why the hell not?

I totally get this approach. We are bad. We need help lots of places. And if we stay top 10, we likely could still get an impact player (Sewell/Slater at OT, Chase/Smith at WR, Pitts at TE, Parsons at LB, Surtain at CB).

But if it is really a QB class of two, with a drop to Fields/Lance/Jones, AND all those other quality guys in the top 10, it becomes unlikely we get a king's ransom for the #5 pick so someone can take Fields, Jones, or Lance.

Plus, we just have to upgrade the OL. With more than 1 guy. If we have Sewell & Slater roughly equal, or if Sewell is gone by #5, then consider a trade down. But whiffing on both could be devastating for Burrow. 

I think if we have Sewell (or Pitts, Chase, Parsons) as a clearly superior player to the others, I think you just take them at #5 and move on.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 11:35 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: Ok someone will be looking to trade up on draft day to get a QB who is available. Here is my list of teams that I think will look to move up within the first 15 picks, as I dont want to pick outside 15.

It will be interesting to see if Jets draft a QB or keep the pick and draft someone else. I think Wilson's stock continues to rise so that would be 2 QB's off the board. Fields and Lance are the wildcards. Teams in need of a QB could fall in love with one or both of them, if one of those teams is Denver, Carolina or SF we could get a lot to trade back, more than you are projecting. QB's bring more than normal when teams move up, it is a QB league and if you are the teams mentioned above, if you don't draft a QB, then you are regressing in 2021.

The Falcons could also go QB keeping their pick if they feel Ryan is a year away from losing his mojo, he gets paid a ton of money and teh Falcons may not draft in top 5 in 2022, also supposed weak QB class in 2022 right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I also like the threat Philly may take a QB with #6 pick. If you are a team who needs a QB like mentioned by the OP, then you may not be able to wait for the 7th pick to make sure Fields or Lance is there. I think Wilson is going in top 3 picks.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
As everyone knows rumors are Carolina is trying to entice the Texans to trade Watson.

Would be interesting to see if Bengals could offer our #5 pick to Carolina.
Of course Moton would have to be extended to a contract of our liking.

Could we get their #8 and Moton for our number #5 or would it be more like their #39 and Moton for our #5?

I would definitely do it for their #8 and an extended Moton.

TEXANS GET
BENGALS 2021 #5 PICK AND
CAROLINA's 2022 1ST ROUND PICK, 2022 2ND ROUND PICK, 2023 3RD ROUND PICK
SHAQ THOMPSON AND TEDDY BRIDGEWATER

BENGALS GET - 2021 Carolina #8 & RT TAYLOR MOTON

CAROLINA GET's - DeShaun Watson

Do 3 team trades happen much in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:19 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: As everyone knows rumors are Carolina is trying to entice the Texans to trade Watson.

Would be interesting to see if Bengals could offer our #5 pick to Carolina.
Of course Moton would have to be extended to a contract of our liking.

Could we get their #8 and Moton for our number #5 or would it be more like their #39 and Moton for our #5?

I would definitely do it for their #8 and an extended Moton.

TEXANS GET
BENGALS 2021 #5 PICK AND
CAROLINA's 2022 1ST ROUND PICK, 2022 2ND ROUND PICK, 2023 3RD ROUND PICK
SHAQ THOMPSON AND TEDDY BRIDGEWATER

BENGALS GET - 2021 Carolina #8  & RT TAYLOR MOTON

CAROLINA GET's - DeShaun Watson

Do 3 team trades happen much in the NFL?

Moton is a free agent so Carolina has zero leverage to make your scenario happen. I am not saying it could not be done, but a lot would have be done for it to happen.

Reply/Quote

Very interesting discussion because there are so many possibilities.  I remember when Detroit was picking #3 overall and everyone saw them as prime candidates to trade with, only the offers never came.  

What makes the #5 pick so intriguing is if the teams ahead of us take both Sewell and Chase (shit!), then there will be a QB that someone really wants at #5.  Denver is without Elway now, and I think they will go all-in on a QB.  But, as to your point, so could Carolina and SF.  

Let's address them in order, shall we?

Denver:  They want the QB, and they have a lot of picks, but not that much early in the draft.  Lots of middle round picks.  So, maybe they are willing to also give their 2nd round pick with #9 to get our #5.  I would take that (assuming Chase and Sewell are gone).  The Bengals could get their WR like Waddle and have two early 2nds to get their DT and OT.  Frankly, I don't take the trade for their first and a third.  

Carolina:  Honestly, they are in a shitty situation.  Denver will probably be in a position to offer more (their 2nd rounder) because they have so many middle round picks.  However, if they are willing to offer what Denver did, it is better by one pick in each round and I accept.

SF:  This would have to involve a player.  I am not going to slide 7 spots at the top of Rd 1 without an impact player at a position we need.  Not sure the cap position of the 49ers, but that is the only way I could see that happening...sliding all the way to #12.  

NE:  I see them as the least likely team to trade up, and would actually wager they will trade back if offered.  They have cap space and they value picks more than seemingly any team.  I could see them sliding and building up a bunch of young talent on the cheap.  They could slide back in Rd 1 and end up with a QB like Trask and make him a very good QB.  Don't see them as much of a factor for the Bengals being offered a trade at all.

Between all of them, unless SF came through with an interesting quality starter in trade, Carolina is our best bet.  With the Eagles and Lions in QB paradoxes, they might need to be aggressive to get their future guy.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Moton is a free agent so Carolina has zero leverage to make your scenario happen. I am not saying it could not be done, but a lot would have be done for it to happen.

Carolina made cap space for the purpose of tagging Moton.

According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, Carolina will place the franchise tag on Moton this spring. Based on Over The Cap’s projections, that means a one-year contract worth $14.57 million fully guaranteed.

It would make Moton the third highest-paid right tackle in the NFL

So a tag and trade is very possible.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 03:02 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Carolina made cap space for the purpose of tagging Moton.

According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, Carolina will place the franchise tag on Moton this spring. Based on Over The Cap’s projections, that means a one-year contract worth $14.57 million fully guaranteed.

It would make Moton the third highest-paid right tackle in the NFL

So a tag and trade is very possible.

According to what I have been reading they  are making cap room to get Watson....Moton may be part of the equation but Watson is the goal
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very interesting discussion because there are so many possibilities.  I remember when Detroit was picking #3 overall and everyone saw them as prime candidates to trade with, only the offers never came.  

What makes the #5 pick so intriguing is if the teams ahead of us take both Sewell and Chase (shit!), then there will be a QB that someone really wants at #5.  Denver is without Elway now, and I think they will go all-in on a QB.  But, as to your point, so could Carolina and SF.  

Denver:  They want the QB, and they have a lot of picks, but not that much early in the draft.  Lots of middle round picks.  So, maybe they are willing to also give their 2nd round pick with #9 to get our #5.  I would take that (assuming Chase and Sewell are gone).  The Bengals could get their WR like Waddle and have two early 2nds to get their DT and OT.  Frankly, I don't take the trade for their first and a third.  

Carolina:  Honestly, they are in a shitty situation.  Denver will probably be in a position to offer more (their 2nd rounder) because they have so many middle round picks.  However, if they are willing to offer what Denver did, it is better by one pick in each round and I accept.

SF:  This would have to involve a player.  I am not going to slide 7 spots at the top of Rd 1 without an impact player at a position we need.  Not sure the cap position of the 49ers, but that is the only way I could see that happening...sliding all the way to #12.  

NE:  I see them as the least likely team to trade up, and would actually wager they will trade back if offered.  They have cap space and they value picks more than seemingly any team.  I could see them sliding and building up a bunch of young talent on the cheap.  They could slide back in Rd 1 and end up with a QB like Trask and make him a very good QB.  Don't see them as much of a factor for the Bengals being offered a trade at all.

Between all of them, unless SF came through with an interesting quality starter in trade, Carolina is our best bet.  With the Eagles and Lions in QB paradoxes, they might need to be aggressive to get their future guy.  

Good point with SF, I would do this:

Bengals trade #5

49ers trade: 12, 43 and Laken Tomlinson(G) is due 6.5 million on last year of contract, fills a needed hole rather cheap on oline, allows us to groom a draft pick(G/C)  and focus on acquiring a tackle first 2 rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 01:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I totally get this approach. We are bad. We need help lots of places. And if we stay top 10, we likely could still get an impact player (Sewell/Slater at OT, Chase/Smith at WR, Pitts at TE, Parsons at LB, Surtain at CB).

But if it is really a QB class of two, with a drop to Fields/Lance/Jones, AND all those other quality guys in the top 10, it becomes unlikely we get a king's ransom for the #5 pick so someone can take Fields, Jones, or Lance.

Plus, we just have to upgrade the OL. With more than 1 guy. If we have Sewell & Slater roughly equal, or if Sewell is gone by #5, then consider a trade down. But whiffing on both could be devastating for Burrow. 

I think if we have Sewell (or Pitts, Chase, Parsons) as a clearly superior player to the others, I think you just take them at #5 and move on.

Have tot disagree.. lets look QBs the last few years taken high that were not expected.. I would say much debate on these picks since 2017  taken in 6 or above of late...  Mayfield, Allen, Trubisky, and Jones.. only 2020 i would say no QB taken first 6 picks was a more reach pick... but 19,18,17  yes
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Very interesting discussion because there are so many possibilities.  I remember when Detroit was picking #3 overall and everyone saw them as prime candidates to trade with, only the offers never came.  

I would disagree on SF.. I did a mock sim.. traded back still got a quality tackle that can start day 1 in Darrisaw and then picked up an extra 1/4th round pick next year... if we have three good drafts 20,21 and 22 with added pics we can really shape the team for a good future run
Reply/Quote