Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trade up in Draft?
Pretty sure we wont be getting any comp picks this year. We will need all the picks we can get our hands on. With so many of our old coaches spread across the league we will have more competition than usual to keep our own.

If anything this is a trade down year. If we end up with 3-4 picks and lose a bunch of our free agents we could have some really weak spots
Reply/Quote
Honestly, this organization is perfectly fine the way they approach the draft. That usually involves no trading, and if it does, it's trading back. It has worked for almost a decade...
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:21 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm with you.  I'd really like to see a pass rusher taken in the first this year.  The big guys up front won't be in their prime forever.

We have Dunlap and MJ

and Will Clark And Haridson behind them

Dude woudlnt even crack the active roster at the moment the way we work rookies in.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 03:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We have Dunlap  and MJ

Dude woudlnt even crack the active roster at the moment the way we work rookies in.

Will Clarke isn't good. He will not stop a rookie from playing. Rookies don't play if there is talent ahead of them.
Hardison didn't play because of Sims and Thompson, he's 300+ lbs. he's not a DE. 

If Will ***** Clarke (at his current pace) stops a top rookie from playing Marvin should be fired and banned from football. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 03:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We have Dunlap  and MJ

LOL
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd trade up for Jack in a heartbeat. He's the SAM player we've been looking for, and is definitely a top 5 talent.

Jaylon Smith may fall to 24 though, and he's probably my favorite player in this draft. Just that injury definitely set him back.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 05:14 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I'd trade up for Jack in a heartbeat. He's the SAM player we've been looking for, and is definitely a top 5 talent.

Jaylon Smith may fall to 24 though, and he's probably my favorite player in this draft. Just that injury definitely set him back.

That's going to be the most scrutinized knee in the pre draft process.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 01:53 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Do you think the Bengals should trade up and pick up an elite talent?

I say we trade our 1st, 2nd and 3rd for a top 10 pick and see if we can pickup a CB/LB/DT

Such as Vernon Hargeaves, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith, A'shrt awn Robinson, Robert Nnkemidiche.

Since we don't have as many needs, I say we do this and pickup an elite talent in top 10, than pickup a center in 4th or something like that.

No.  We are going to lose some depth in free agency and we need those picks for depth.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 06:29 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No.  We are going to lose some depth in free agency and we need those picks for depth.  

As far as comps go; Gresh might get us one. 

I'd definitely trade up for the right player. I think Myles would be a waste as we don't much use a SAM and we have Burfict at WILL.

I'd move up to take the following realistic options:
Alexander, Lawson (Clem)
Billings (Baylor)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 04:23 PM)J24 Wrote: It depends on what are needs are. If we resign Iloka and Marvin Jones I would listen to the possiblty of it.

Trading up or down is really a case by case scenario, this could be part of it or the opposite could be true.  I agree that less holes could mean all the more reason to take a shot, but losing either and finding the ideal NFL ready fit that drops to the 15-20 range could justify trading up for a replacement.  If I had to put money on a trade up scenario, I'd put it on throwing in an extra late pick to slide up a few slots to secure a guy like Derron Lee.  It's early, lots of mocks have him there, but if you weigh the position need and alternatives he might become worth doing that for.  Fackrell is more of a rusher, so unless Guenther dramatically changes the defense or Marvin falls in love with him he may not fit.  They like RM as their MLB, and as potent of a punch Ragland packs he's still limited some in coverage.  Even if Jaylon Smith drops, how much are you willing to give up to have someone that won't be ready, especially if you don't land a LB in FA.  So we're far too early, but if some of these early projections ring true maybe they say "ok, it's worth giving up a 5th or 4th) to make sure we get our guy and scratch off LB to free up the rest of the draft to BPA.  Again though, look at how many picks have been "redshirted" in recent years.  They not only do a good job drafting but also keeping depth so they don't draft for need.  So trading up only makes sense if the stars align for it to be the right move.  We should all rep someone in this thread that calls a big trade up though, it's tough to forecast this early. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 06:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As far as comps go; Gresh might get us one. 

I'd definitely trade up for the right player. I think Myles would be a waste as we don't much use a SAM and we have Burfict at WILL.

I'd move up to take the following realistic options:
Alexander, Lawson (Clem)
Billings (Baylor)

Well the thing is, there's a chance we move Burfict to MLB if Maualuga doesn't re-sign. And Burfict is still suspended the first 3 games of the season.

We may be more inclined to use a SAM if we had one that could cover like Myles. He would add a dimension to this defense that we haven't had.

But I would rather have Smith in the long run.

Billings has caught my eye as of late honestly.

Reply/Quote
I agree with most on this thread, don't trade up by giving up a bunch of other draft picks. Rarely has that worked out. Examples that come to mind are the Redskins trading up for RGIII and the Saints trading up to get Ricky Williams. A lot of times the player just doesn't work out and it really hurts the franchise because you no longer have that depth.

However, I did see one intriguing trade up scenario on another website (it was a fanpost, but not entirely out of the question). The scenario was that we trade AJ McCarron and a 3rd rounder to the Rams for their first round pick (15th overall).

This way we can get 2 first round picks and not give up much. Yes, having a viable backup is becoming more of a necessity in the NFL, but Andy Dalton had started every game since his rookie season before his thumb injury. Therefore, AJ might not see the field again until his contract is up, so I think you gotta trade him while his stock is still high. Not to mention that there are plenty of viable backups as FA or possible to develop in the draft. I like Yates as a FA or Adams Jr as a late rounder flyer in the draft.

Our team is pretty solid across the board. I think it is smart to draft depth and solid players with second and third day draft picks, however, I think having 2 first round picks will definitely allow us to upgrade some positions. I think this would be a very smart move to add some higher ceiling, younger talent while we are still in the window of opportunity to win a Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 03:21 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: I agree with most on this thread, don't trade up by giving up a bunch of other draft picks. Rarely has that worked out. Examples that come to mind are the Redskins trading up for RGIII and the Saints trading up to get Ricky Williams. A lot of times the player just doesn't work out and it really hurts the franchise because you no longer have that depth.

However, I did see one intriguing trade up scenario on another website (it was a fanpost, but not entirely out of the question). The scenario was that we trade AJ McCarron and a 3rd rounder to the Rams for their first round pick (15th overall).

This way we can get 2 first round picks and not give up much. Yes, having a viable backup is becoming more of a necessity in the NFL, but Andy Dalton had started every game since his rookie season before his thumb injury. Therefore, AJ might not see the field again until his contract is up, so I think you gotta trade him while his stock is still high. Not to mention that there are plenty of viable backups as FA or possible to develop in the draft. I like Yates as a FA or Adams Jr as a late rounder flyer in the draft.

Our team is pretty solid across the board. I think it is smart to draft depth and solid players with second and third day draft picks, however, I think having 2 first round picks will definitely allow us to upgrade some positions. I think this would be a very smart move to add some higher ceiling, younger talent while we are still in the window of opportunity to win a Superbowl.

Sounds great but highly unlikely acceptable for the Rams.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 05:05 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Well the thing is, there's a chance we move Burfict to MLB if Maualuga doesn't re-sign. And Burfict is still suspended the first 3 games of the season.

We may be more inclined to use a SAM if we had one that could cover like Myles. He would add a dimension to this defense that we haven't had.

But I would rather have Smith in the long run.

Billings has caught my eye as of late honestly.

Maualuga is not a free agent this year.  I keep thinking that this team will draft a linebacker, but they just don't seem to really use more than 2 at a time.  It seems like they are always in nickel.  That being said, I still think we need an athletic, fast, coverage LB at some point in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 03:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Maualuga is not a free agent this year.  I keep thinking that this team will draft a linebacker, but they just don't seem to really use more than 2 at a time.  It seems like they are always in nickel.  That being said, I still think we need an athletic, fast, coverage LB at some point in the draft.

You are correct. I thought Maualuga was a FA this year. It's only Rey and Lamur.

I think the fact that they don't have an athletic LB is because they're in nickel packages so much. If we were to get Smith or Jack, we could stay in a 4-3 base, blitz, and have an athletic LB there to make a turnover. I mean, sometimes a LB is asked to cover a TE. Even our team does that. Doesn't always work, however.

Reply/Quote
If it's only a spot or two, I would trade up for Darron Lee.  He's a fast, sideline to sideline LB that tackles well. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 01:53 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Do you think the Bengals should trade up and pick up an elite talent?

I say we trade our 1st, 2nd and 3rd for a top 10 pick and see if we can pickup a CB/LB/DT

Such as Vernon Hargeaves, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith, A'shrt awn Robinson, Robert Nnkemidiche.

Since we don't have as many needs, I say we do this and pickup an elite talent in top 10, than pickup a center in 4th or something like that.

i dont like it with so many pending free agents...

i would be more inclined to try and trade back into the 2nd or 3rd and get 4 picks in the first 2 days then go home.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 03:21 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: However, I did see one intriguing trade up scenario on another website (it was a fanpost, but not entirely out of the question). The scenario was that we trade AJ McCarron and a 3rd rounder to the Rams for their first round pick (15th overall).

i think people are highly overstating AJ mccarrons trade value.

im not sure that would even buy us their Middle linebacker let alone their 1st round pick
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 11:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think people are highly overstating AJ mccarrons trade value.

im not sure that would even buy us their Middle linebacker  let alone their 1st round pick

Given that his mediocre at best performances were supposed to be enough to usurp the starters role....this shouldn't surprise you lol
Reply/Quote
I am not sure how reliable it is, but I saw a reply from the Cardinals insider today on Twitter.

A fan asked him if the Cardinals will try to trade up in the draft, and his response was that the Bengals would not trade with them.

I wonder if this means we are simply staying pat, or if we do plan to move up.

Edit: His name is Mike Jurecki
Reply/Quote