Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trae Waynes-first major injury of camp
(08-11-2020, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is your chance, Darius Phillips.  Take the job and never look back.  I actually think what you did in a very small sample size last year should have had more people talking about you competing for a starting role.  Well, here it is.  If you go out and play an entire season like you did at the end of last year, you will be making at least $10 million a season.  

Not that I wanted to see Waynes injured.  It is a huge loss and the position is now paper thin in terms of starting talent.

And Winston Rose and a couple of others. Camp just got very important for them to shine.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 08:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: This one is a blow. People are about to lose their you know what on me, but it may make sense to grab Dre on a vet minimum contract. With about a month until the first game getting someone back in here who is familiar makes sense, and honestly he is probably one of the ebst available corners left. It doesn't mean he has to start, in fact I'd give Phillis and Alexander every chance to, however you'll want that depth on the outside if things go really bad injury wise.

I was actually just thinking this the other day. I checked to see who Dre signed with and for how much and was shocked when I saw he was still a free agent.

I'd through him a million or 2 to play 4th string CB, which is honestly what he should have been his entire career haha.
Reply/Quote
We are cursed.
Reply/Quote
It always amazes me that professional athletes get injured so easily in non contact drills. I get twisting an ankle or tweaking a knee, but a pec? Didn’t WJ3 have a similar injury his rookie year? What the hell are the DBs doing, trying to set Bench Press PRs every day? Come on!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is your chance, Darius Phillips. Take the job and never look back. I actually think what you did in a very small sample size last year should have had more people talking about you competing for a starting role. Well, here it is. If you go out and play an entire season like you did at the end of last year, you will be making at least $10 million a season.

Not that I wanted to see Waynes injured. It is a huge loss and the position is now paper thin in terms of starting talent.

My thoughts as well. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Phillips honestly. People complained about Waynes all the way to the bank and now that he is hurt it’s like we lost some star. If he didn’t cost so much I’m not sure how impactful this would really be.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And Winston Rose and a couple of others. Camp just got very important for them to shine.

I keep forgetting about that guy.  QB play up there is pretty awful, but you don't luck in to that many INTs and passes defensed.  Even the coaching staff was saying good things about him already. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:25 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: My thoughts as well. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Phillips honestly. People complained about Waynes all the way to the bank and now that he is hurt it’s like we lost some star. If he didn’t cost so much I’m not sure how impactful this would really be.

It is a big blow in terms of proven starting depth.  It will happen to everyone (in the NFL) but it does suck here.  Plus, the guy was a very solid perimeter tackler.  Can't make light of the importance of that.  I do like what the club did to be prepared for such an injury, though.  In the past, a guy goes down, we were screwed.  
Reply/Quote
There is no new news, just old things happening to new names.  Wow.
Reply/Quote
He and the team will benefit by the new IR rules. Instead of losing half the season at minimum he can be brought back from IR after 3 weeks

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's what happens when you don't work out all offseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I heard a rumor, and I'm not sure if it's true...

Apparently he refused to wear one of those sports bras you see a lot of the guys using now. He got into a heated exchange with a trainer where he said: "I aint got no tits, and I'm not here to do yoga! Let's play some ball like men!"

The very next drill his pec exploded when he batted down a ball.
Reply/Quote
On a serious note: Man, does this suck. For him, for the team, for everyone.

Let's hope he can make a speedy recovery and that the timetable of 2 months is accurate. I've seen far too many of these preseason injuries get described as lesser than the actually were (See AJ last season).

Not a good start for this dude. I think the comments he made on the Bengals not finalizing their deals rubbed some people the wrong way, and now this. Not to mention that this guy is probably the most questioned use of our spending in free agency. He really needs to have a solid year, with him being on a short 3 year deal.
Reply/Quote
Sucks, but if we suffer a serious injury I think we have more depth at CB than anywhere else. we can always bring in BW Webb to fill the back end of the depth chart
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Any minor injury turns into a year long thing the Doc ok's it and the players like a year sitting and getting paid hell yeah. Nothing new here same old same old.
Reply/Quote
If you can't raise your arm, you can't defend passes. I've suffered through a similar injury and it was several months before it healed properly. I think he's done for the majority of the season.
Reply/Quote
I honestly think some people are projecting way too much from Darius Phillips' small sample size last year. Even with an ordinary sample size, defensive backs are notoriously tough to project from year to year, more so than other positions. And he did much of his damage against a Browns team that was playing like ass at the end of the season. I'm not against Phillips at all, I just think too many folks are extrapolating way too much from limited data.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 08:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: This one is a blow. People are about to lose their you know what on me, but it may make sense to grab Dre on a vet minimum contract. With about a month until the first game getting someone back in here who is familiar makes sense, and honestly he is probably one of the ebst available corners left. It doesn't mean he has to start, in fact I'd give Phillis and Alexander every chance to, however you'll want that depth on the outside if things go really bad injury wise.

I don't think that's a crazy thought at all. It was one of the first things I thought of. 

But in the end I bet they just absorb the blow with the depth they already have, and maybe re-sign that UDFA they cut a little while back (forget his name). Or a waiver wire add or some such. 

And every team has TC injuries like this. If this is ours, frankly it could be worse. Imagine if it was Jonah Williams or AJ again. We can absorb this one. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 01:19 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I honestly think some people are projecting way too much from Darius Phillips' small sample size last year. Even with an ordinary sample size, defensive backs are notoriously tough to project from year to year, more so than other positions. And he did much of his damage against a Browns team that was playing like ass at the end of the season. I'm not against Phillips at all, I just think too many folks are extrapolating way too much from limited data.

He was the best CB in pre season last year and followed it up with 4 INTs during the regular season. He deserves his shot.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 01:30 PM)J24 Wrote: He was the best CB in pre season last year and followed it up with 4 INTs during the regular season. He deserves his shot.

Nobody says he doesn't deserve his shot. All I'm saying is that what happened last year isn't proof of anything. And some of the regulars on this board seem to think it is. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 07:52 AM)pally Wrote: According to Tom Pelissero, Waynes  has a pectoral injury. He is getting a 2nd opinion but looks like he could lose up to two months which includes at least a month of the regular season.

That really blows actually. Phillips really needs to step it up.

Considering that the position always seems to have injuries during the season, I can see another signing coming.

Reply/Quote