Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trae Waynes is NOT happy
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/trae-waynes-free-agency-headache

Why can’t we be one of the teams allowing their incoming players to take physicals at private practices?
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He could use the time to work on his English.... just saying.
Reply/Quote
Then how come 27 1st rounders haven't been signed or whatever?

The Bengals aren't the ONLY team and, "90% of the league." It's more like 75% of current FAs, college or otherwise, haven't been signed.

How was Reader able to get it done?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I see both sides of this. Obviously I understand it has to be frustrating for Waynes to not have a deal finalized, and to not be able to fully train. But at the same time I completely understand the stance of the Bengals. Of course you want your own doctors and personnel to sign off on a player's health. Especially when you're investing tens of millions of dollars into them. I wouldn't trust an outside source to do this either.

Unfortunately for Mr. Waynes we're in the midst of a pandemic, and the Bengals are unable to schedule this as they would normally. Does it kinda suck? Yeah, I'm sure it does. But at the same time, a lot of things suck right now. A lot of people have suffered much greater losses, and occur daily inconveniences and equally significant changes to their respective norms due to this issue.

Personally, I think he and his agent would be best served keeping this to themselves, at least until it results in an actual loss of income. Because as it stands right now, he'll still get paid. He'll just wait longer than normal. Do you really need to be publically airing out complaints before you've even played a down here? Can you really fault your new employer for things that are out of their control?

Let's be honest, Trae Waynes is coming off a 8 million dollar deal, and just inked a new deal for 42 million. All of this at the age of 27. Just to put into perspective of just how much money this is, it would take an upper-middle class person making 100k a year 80 years just to equal what Waynes made on a rookie contract. And now his net worth is going to increase over 500% from that.

I'm sorry, comments from some of these athletes today strike me as more and more tone-deaf. If you look at what's going on around this country right now, you'll find a lot of people are hurting. No one is going to feel any sympathy for a multi-millionaire that has to wait a few extra months to sign a 14mil year contract. So you can't work out like you would if the deal were inked? Boo freaking hoo. Just be glad you're not one of the millions of fans that support your league that are wondering how the hell they're going to pay rent next month.
Reply/Quote
Yeah it sucks, but just be happy somebody was willing to give you such a huge deal when there didn’t seem to be that kind of market for corners.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 05:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Then how come 27 1st rounders haven't been signed or whatever?

The Bengals aren't the ONLY team and, "90% of the league." It's more like 75% of current FAs, college or otherwise, haven't been signed.

How was Reader able to get it done?

I can understand his frustration, being a competitive person and all, but those numbers sound a bit exaggerated to me.

Anyone happen to know what the actual numbers are looking like?  And why would some teams be able to get players physicals and conduct signings and not others?  Is NFL policy not equitably administered throughout the 32 teams across the league?

Edit: I just did a quick search, and could find really nothing written on the topic since late March to early-mid April.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can understand his frustration, being a competitive person and all, but those numbers sound a bit exaggerated to me.

Anyone happen to know what the actual numbers are looking like?  And why would some teams be able to get players physicals and conduct signings and not others?  Is NFL policy not equitably administered throughout the 32 teams across the league?

Edit: I just did a quick search, and could find really nothing written on the topic since late March to early-mid April.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/06/70-of-nfl-draft-picks-remain-unsigned

Sorry, this is two (almost 3 weeks old).
Reply/Quote
So someone help my clarifying is Trae in the wrong for being upset or are the Bengals in the wrong for following protocol and waiting for their facility to open?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Sounds like the first 8mil made him feel entitled. Either that, or even he doesn't believe the deal he received and wants to ink it before the Bengals change their minds? Either way, taking this shit to media is a very, very, bad move. Zac doesn't like this kind of behavior. It breathes future locker room cancer. That's not leadership talk. That's parking lot sweeper talk.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 04:45 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/trae-waynes-free-agency-headache

Why can’t we be one of the teams allowing their incoming players to take physicals at private practices?

As I understand it, no teams are doing that.  I thought that was what they said the other day on the Locked on Bengals podcast.  I am sure right now Waynes is pissed at his agent and is taking it out on the team.  Right now, NONE of those contracts are signed and I think players are (rightfully) getting nervous.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sounds like the first 8mil made him feel entitled. Either that, or even he doesn't believe the deal he received and wants to ink it before the Bengals change their minds? Either way, taking this shit to media is a very, very, bad move. Zac doesn't like this kind of behavior. It breathes future locker room cancer. That's not leadership talk. That's parking lot sweeper talk.

Agreed.  And if Waynes thinks he was going to get that money elsewhere, I think he is sorely mistaken.

Tread lightly, Mr. Waynes.  There is a guy named Darius Phillips that is licking his lips right now at the chance to taking your job.  Many of us thought he deserved a shot at it after last year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  And if Waynes thinks he was going to get that money elsewhere, I think he is sorely mistaken.

Tread lightly, Mr. Waynes.  There is a guy named Darius Phillips that is licking his lips right now at the chance to taking your job.  Many of us thought he deserved a shot at it after last year. 

Darius Phillips reading the article:

[Image: 625.jpg]

Reply/Quote
In any case you want your play makers on the field and Darius Phillips is that. I agree with one of the posters that said Trae might end up a locker room problem in the future. Let us hope ZT can get this smooth out before that happens. We have the date to show up in camp he will get to see the doctors and get signed is this guy hard up for cash I can float the guy a few bucks to eat.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 06:43 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/06/70-of-nfl-draft-picks-remain-unsigned

Sorry, this is two (almost 3 weeks old).

Think nothing of it, that' much more recent than anything that I found.  Of course, I was searching for news about 2020 free agents being able to finalize their contracts..  So, there is that, I guess.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:03 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: So someone help my clarifying is Trae in the wrong for being upset or are the Bengals in the wrong for following protocol and waiting for their facility to open?

I don't feel like either is "in the wrong";  In fact, the article didn't even imply any wrongdoing for anyone to be blamed for.  It's just his disgust of the situation that it is affecting all of us, at this current point in time.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’d be able to live with this deal being voided, although I realize we currently have no cause for it.

He’s not getting this kind of money anywhere else.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:03 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: So someone help my clarifying is Trae in the wrong for being upset or are the Bengals in the wrong for following protocol and waiting for their facility to open?

My take?

-The Bengals are 1000% in the right in not inking contracts until they conduct physicals on-site.

-Trae Waynes is in the right in being frustrated with the situation and the hindering his workouts.

-Trae Waynes is in the wrong for publically airing his displeasure, and dissing the Bengals in the process.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 08:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't feel like either is "in the wrong";  In fact, the article didn't even imply any wrongdoing for anyone to be blamed for.  It's just his disgust of the situation that it is affecting all of us, at this current point in time.

The article itself may not but Trae Waynes actual comments certainly seem to indicate that he feels he's being mistreated. 

Trae Waynes:

"That sh--'s terrible. It's still going on for me," Waynes said on the Behind the Mask Podcast when asked about free agency. "I signed here, but I ain't really sign here. It was cool at first and I'm thinking it'll be done and over with. Ninety percent of the league, it's done for them. I know Cincy and a couple of other teams, they still ain't pay nobody or let them take their physicals, so it's technically still going on."

He's basically saying that for the vast majority of the league this wouldn't be an issue, and that only us and a couple other of teams are delaying the process.

To each their own, but these comments just strike me as totally unecessary.  Anyone that has been around or even watched sports even a little bit can recite an appropriate response to any questions surrounding a new team and a new season.  Ex: "I can't wait to get started.  I think we've got a group of guys coming in and I'm ready to do whatever I need to to make sure we win ball games." That's all you really ever need to say.

Why go out of your way to publically complain about your new team approaching physicals differently than "90% of the league"?  Comments like "they still aint pay nobody" don't really reflect any enthusiasm or confidence.
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, I yanked this from an SI article from just 3 days before his comments:

The Bengals aren't the only organization in the league doing this. Most teams haven't officially signed their free agents or any of their draft picks due to the inability for players to take physicals at team facilities.

I'm in agreement with the other posts that his comments are complete bs. I'm too lazy to do a ton of research but I do remember the topic coming up multiple times this offseason. There is no way 90% of drafts picks and free agents have been offically signed. There is no way only the Bengals and a couple of other teams are the only ways not allowing physicals to be done off-site.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: As I understand it, no teams are doing that.  I thought that was what they said the other day on the Locked on Bengals podcast.  I am sure right now Waynes is pissed at his agent and is taking it out on the team.  Right now, NONE of those contracts are signed and I think players are (rightfully) getting nervous.

IIRC, Reader came in and signed his (the whole picture signing the contract on the wooden table thing).
Reply/Quote