Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates
(08-21-2019, 12:20 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Heard Jay Morrison (I think?) say on the radio today that they worked Price at guard the other day in camp. I'm *pretty* sure he said at RG specifically, but I'm not 100%.

Probably nothing, but some food for thought at least. Can't say I've noticed Miller much at all this preseason (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Heard LG with Price.
Reply/Quote
Remember ZT said they were being careful with Price's foot. Also I really hope we don't go with Hopkins at Center - his run with the ones last week was not what one would call good and the improvement when Price came in was immediate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 01:11 AM)Joelist Wrote: Remember ZT said they were being careful with Price's foot. Also I really hope we don't go with Hopkins at Center - his run with the ones last week was not what one would call good and the improvement when Price came in was immediate.

I would like to see Price start with the ones this week to see how he does.   I don't think he played against Allen and Payne last week, so I don't know if he would have done any better than Hopkins.   Price got knocked on his can in his second go in Kansas City.   I have real concerns about him that I hope are unfounded.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:10 AM)3wt Wrote: I would like to see Price start with the ones this week to see how he does.   I don't think he played against Allen and Payne last week, so I don't know if he would have done any better than Hopkins.   Price got knocked on his can in his second go in Kansas City.   I have real concerns about him that I hope are unfounded.

FWIW, PFF had Hopkins at a 64 rating and Price at a 63 against the skins.  So, they were basically equal with Price playing weaker competition.

I'm not ready to give up on Price, but there's the possibility that his foot is hampering him.  It might be better to shut him down until he's 100% then see where he's at compared to Trey.

Things will be very interesting next year if Trey wins the job.  The Bengals will have to decide on resigning Trey or rolling with Price.  Miller seems firmly entrenched at RG and by all accounts Jordan will be starting at LG before the end of the year if he doesn't win the job for week 1.  Then, Jonah will be back and they'll be searching for a spot for Glenn.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 11:08 AM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, PFF had Hopkins at a 64 rating and Price at a 63 against the skins.  So, they were basically equal with Price playing weaker competition.

I'm not ready to give up on Price, but there's the possibility that his foot is hampering him.  It might be better to shut him down until he's 100% then see where he's at compared to Trey.

Things will be very interesting next year if Trey wins the job.  The Bengals will have to decide on resigning Trey or rolling with Price.  Miller seems firmly entrenched at RG and by all accounts Jordan will be starting at LG before the end of the year if he doesn't win the job for week 1.  Then, Jonah will be back and they'll be searching for a spot for Glenn.  

Price will still have two years left on his rookie deal, so I think you have to keep Hopkins unless Price blossoms this year. And even if Miller seems entrenched at RG, he shouldn't guarantee to hold that position if he's playing below average. I'd give Price a fair opportunity at RG if Miller struggles this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 11:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Price will still have two years left on his rookie deal, so I think you have to keep Hopkins unless Price blossoms this year. And even if Miller seems entrenched at RG, he shouldn't guarantee to hold that position if he's playing below average. I'd give Price a fair opportunity at RG if Miller struggles this season.

Due to his draft status, you have to give Price a chance to compete somewhere, but you're potentially looking at him having to battle both Miller and Glenn for the RG job next year.  I wouldn't like his chances.

Hopefully, he turns it around and solidifies his spot this year.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 12:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: Due to his draft status, you have to give Price a chance to compete somewhere, but you're potentially looking at him having to battle both Miller and Glenn for the RG job next year.  I wouldn't like his chances.

Hopefully, he turns it around and solidifies his spot this year.  

Competing with Glenn for the RG job? I don't believe Glenn was ever in consideration for the RG job? Glenn was competing with Westerman, Jordan, and Jerry for the LG spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Competing with Glenn for the RG job? I don't believe Glenn was ever in consideration for the RG job? Glenn was competing with Westerman, Jordan, and Jerry for the LG spot.

Right and with Williams back next year...  Moving Glenn to LG might not even be a need anymore..  and we could recover his cap to sign someone else.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Competing with Glenn for the RG job? I don't believe Glenn was ever in consideration for the RG job? Glenn was competing with Westerman, Jordan, and Jerry for the LG spot.

You are correct, Glenn has never even played on the right side of the Line....

(08-21-2019, 01:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right and with Williams back next year...  Moving Glenn to LG might not even be a need anymore..  and we could recover his cap to sign someone else.

Glenn is a good pass protector but a soft run blocker. Better to keep him at LT if we keep him.

That is until Jonah gets back. We will see what happens then.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 11:08 AM)Whatever Wrote: FWIW, PFF had Hopkins at a 64 rating and Price at a 63 against the skins.  So, they were basically equal with Price playing weaker competition.

This is where i don't trust PFF.

Saw Price making great blocks and adjusting out there against the Skins.

Price will grow but if the foot is bothering him i am with you and we should rest him until the opener.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are correct, Glenn has never even played on the right side of the Line....

Glenn is a good pass protector but a soft run blocker. Better to keep him at LT if we keep him.

That is until Jonah gets back. We will see what happens then.

Yeah but it seems like we are gonna find a quality LG out of Jerry Jordan Hopkins.       So playing a LG 10+ mil next year wouldn't be a need..

(that is of course assuming Williams its healthy and ready to go next season)  or course he could possibly be used elsewhere if needed.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is where i don't trust PFF.

Saw Price making great blocks and adjusting out there against the Skins.

Price will grow but if the foot is bothering him i am with you and we should rest him until the opener.

It's possible to see some great blocks but still be ranked lower because of some of the other things we don't see. PFF isn't perfect but they are watching each individual player on every snap much more closely than we do.

Right now, Price has high peaks mixed with low valleys whereas Hopkins is just consistent.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 02:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah but it seems like we are gonna find a quality LG out of Jerry Jordan Hopkins.       So playing a LG 10+ mil next year wouldn't be a need..

(that is of course assuming Williams its healthy and ready to go next season)  or course he could possibly be used elsewhere if needed.

I'm with you. I don't see a justification for keeping Glenn except for OT depth. And even then, $9.5 mill is pretty expensive for a backup.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 02:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah but it seems like we are gonna find a quality LG out of Jerry Jordan Hopkins.       So playing a LG 10+ mil next year wouldn't be a need..

Once Jonah is healthy and playing well i don't expect Glenn to be around much longer.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 02:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's possible to see some great blocks but still be ranked lower because of some of the other things we don't see. PFF isn't perfect but they are watching each individual player on every snap much more closely than we do.

Right now, Price has high peaks mixed with low valleys whereas Hopkins is just consistent.

All true.

Price just needs to stay healthy to gain that consistency. Tough with a bad foot.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 02:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Once Jonah is healthy and playing well i don't expect Glenn to be around much longer.

Likewise. Unless he can be made useful other places on the line. Perhaps he shows a great strength at guard or at the other RT. 

More than likely. We cut him. Save the dough.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 03:31 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Likewise. Unless he can be made useful other places on the line. Perhaps he shows a great strength at guard or at the other RT. 

More than likely. We cut him. Save the dough.

That is what i am thinking. Cut him, save the dough, unless he can play RT better than Hart.

Not even sure about that as Hart is a more willing and better run blocker.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone have comparisons (metric data) with how Hart is playing this year compared to last year? I am no expert, but it seems just watch his play, Hart has stepped up his game this year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 05:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what i am thinking. Cut him, save the dough, unless he can play RT better than Hart.

Not even sure about that as Hart is a more willing and better run blocker.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would hang onto Glenn next year.  Not counting this year's crop of UDFA's, we would only have 5 OL under contract next year if we cut Glenn(Jonah, MJ, Price, Miller, and Hart).  Even if one of the UDFA's is roster worthy by next year, you still need three guys.  He has a $9.5 mil cap hit, but in the current economy of the NFL, that's not bad for a starting caliber T.  I really don't want to be calling Andre Smith again during OTA's because we don't have enough depth at OT.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2019, 10:03 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would hang onto Glenn next year.  Not counting this year's crop of UDFA's, we would only have 5 OL under contract next year if we cut Glenn(Jonah, MJ, Price, Miller, and Hart).  Even if one of the UDFA's is roster worthy by next year, you still need three guys.  He has a $9.5 mil cap hit, but in the current economy of the NFL, that's not bad for a starting caliber T.  I really don't want to be calling Andre Smith again during OTA's because we don't have enough depth at OT.

I don't have a problem with that, especially if they still haven't found a LG.
Reply/Quote