Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgender teen Mack Beggs wins Texas state wrestling title
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/24/texas-policy-forces-transgender-teen-boy-to-wrestle-against-female-athletes-at-state-championship/?utm_term=.b73dc65fcd39

Quote:On Friday, Mack Beggs, an undefeated high school wrestler from Texas, will compete at the girls’ state tournament in suburban Houston.

But unlike the rest of the teen’s female competitors, Beggs, 17, is a boy.

For more than a year, the teen, who was born a girl, has been transitioning from female to male with the help of testosterone therapy.

Beggs’s participation — and dominance — in the girls’ league has spurred consternation among some in the Dallas region, including a lawsuit filed by an unhappy parent, who argued that if Beggs identifies as a boy he should have to wrestle other boys.

And Beggs would, his family told the Dallas Morning News, if he could, but the rules won’t allow it.

That’s because last year, some 95 percent of Texas superintendents voted in favor of an amendment to the constitution of the University Interscholastic League, the state’s governing body for public school athletics, that requires student athletes to compete as the gender listed on their birth certificate, the Dallas Morning News reported at the time.

When the referendum ballot was approved (586-32, with 2 non-responses), critics called it “horrible policy” that would discriminate against transgender athletes who were unable to afford the complicated maneuvering that goes into legally changing one’s birth certificate through the state.

Now, as word of Beggs’s case has gained increased publicity, experts say the policy’s likely intention — to keep transgender female athletes transitioning from male to female from having a hormonal leg up on competitors — is backfiring.

Some of Beggs’s female competitors forfeited their matches in the regional meet, reported the Associated Press, out of apparent fear of injury because the 17-year-old is taking testosterone that could create a physical disadvantage.

That was the main argument laid out in a lawsuit filed in early February against the UIL by Jim Baudhuin, a local attorney and wrestling parent at a competing high school who sought to have Beggs barred from competing against girls at the state tournament and against other boys as long as he is taking testosterone, reported the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

But Texas Education Code and UIL rules allow the use of steroids if “dispensed, prescribed, delivered and administered by a medical practitioner for a valid medical purpose,” reported the AP. Nancy Beggs, the teen’s grandmother and legal guardian, has said that the UIL reviewed Mack Beggs’s medical records and approved him for competition before the last two seasons.

After two wrestlers forfeited their matches at the regional competition last weekend, Nancy Beggs told the Morning News those actions were about “bias, hatred and ignorance,” and that her grandson and at least one of the other wrestlers “know each other and they are not happy about this.”

Beggs wrestles in the 110 pound class, where his record is 52-0.

It was the parents and coaches, Mack Beggs wrote on social media, that were making waves, not the students.

“The thing is, we want to wrestle each other. I feel so sick and disgusted by the discrimination not by the kids, the PARENTS AND COACHES,” the teen wrote on Facebook. “These kids don’t care who you put in front of them to wrestle. We just want to WRESTLE. THEY are taking that away from me and from the people I’m competing with.”

Since then, Baudhuin (whose daughter is friends with Beggs, wrestles in a different weight class and disapproved of his lawsuit) has altered his position on the conflict.

He told the AP that he is amending his lawsuit to ask the UIL to make its gender policies mirror that of the NCAA, which allows athletes transitioning from female to male and taking testosterone to compete on men’s teams but not women’s teams.

“Mack is a great kid, hard-working, great kid,” Baudhuin told the AP. “So this is not a personal. This is not a hatred issue.
We just don’t think it’s fair that Mack should wrestle, either be allowed or should be required to wrestle against girls.”

Baudhuin will not seek a last-minute injunction before the state tournament, he told the AP, but plans to pursue the altered lawsuit once the wrestling season is over, not just in light of Beggs’s case, but because he sees the potential for others to crop up.

“What if next year it’s a swimmer and the year after that it’s somebody who’s running track or somebody playing basketball or whatever?” he told the AP. “This isn’t the one and only time that there’s going to be a transgender athlete involved.”

According to TransAthlete, an advocacy organization for transgender athletes, Texas is one of seven states that it considers to have “discriminatory” policies for trans student athletes by requiring a birth certificate, hormone therapy documentation or proof of gender-reassignment surgery. Other state policies operate on a case-by-case basis or have no limitations, including Florida and California.

Beggs’s story hit the national stage the same week President Trump decided to roll back Obama-era directives protecting transgender students in public schools, outraging LGBT advocates.

Joanna Harper, an adviser to the International Olympic Committee, transgender elite runner and medical physicist in Oregon, told the Star-Telegram that she suspects the UIL’s rule is having the “exact opposite effect of what they had desired.”

“Dealing with transgender adolescent athletes is probably the most difficult time frame to make a ruling. In the NCAA, there would be no question that Mack would be required to compete against men, but that’s not an option for him because of the UIL rule,” Harper told the Star-Telegram. “I think the UIL rule is misguided, shortsighted and I actually find a wonderful irony in it.”

The UIL released a statement to the Star-Telegram about the controversy, described by the newspaper as “generic”:

Quote:
“To compete at this year’s wrestling state tournament all students are subject to UIL rules and state law. This helps ensure a fair competition to the more than 400 students participating. We will continue to work with member schools to best meet the needs of all students.”

Texas overreacted (naturally) and it bit them in the ass.

Love it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I remember Lucie posted a similar story about a track athlete in Alaska a while back. He was destroyed because his title mistakenly said "won" when in fact he/she (no disrespect not sure which way this one was going) did not win. Just as this article does not show us that Beggs won the state title. I remember this because it were one of the more extraordinary displays I have ever seen in this forum. So before the less understanding come in here and start ripping you and your article instead of commenting on the content I recommend you link an article like the following that actually ahows him winning or change the title to competes, as they can get quite ugly:
http://wane.com/2017/02/26/transgender-boy-wins-controversial-girls-state-title/

Your welcome in advance.

As to the actual point of the OP:

I think the only thing wrong in Texas' laws is that they allow athletes to compete regardless of gender while taking performance enhancing drugs.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-26-2017, 12:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember Lucie posted a similar story about a track athlete in Alaska a while back. He was destroyed because his title mistakenly said "won" when in fact he/she (no disrespect not sure which way this one was going) did not win. Just as this article does not show us that Beggs won the state title. I remember this because it were one of the more extraordinary displays I have ever seen in this forum. So before the less understanding come in here and start ripping you and your article instead of commenting on the content I recommend you link an article like the following that actually ahows him winning or change the title to competes, as they can get quite ugly:
http://wane.com/2017/02/26/transgender-boy-wins-controversial-girls-state-title/

Your welcome in advance.

As to the actual point of the OP:

I think the only thing wrong in Texas' laws is that they allow athletes to compete regardless of gender while taking performance enhancing drugs.

So a couple points:

1) I used a different title that the the article I posted because I had read the article where he won already.  So, my bad.  But at least you had the wherewithal to check and see that I was, indeed, correct that he had won.  You're welcome in advance. 

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18767310/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-euless-trinity-wins-texas-state-girls-wrestling-title

Quote:A 17-year-old transgender boy completed an undefeated season Saturday by winning a controversial Texas state girls' wrestling title in an event clouded by criticism from those who believe the testosterone he's taking as he transitions from female to male created an unfair advantage.

The family of Mack Beggs has said he would rather be wrestling boys, but state policy calls for students to wrestle against the gender listed on their birth certificates. So Beggs, a junior from Euless Trinity, beat Chelsea Sanchez 12-2 in the 110-pound weight class to improve to 56-0 and earn the championship.

Beggs fell to his knees for a moment after the win as a mixture of cheers and boos rained down on him. He then hugged his coach and left the mat.

He had a bit of fun with his fellow wrestlers at the medal ceremony when he counted down from three and all six of the top finishers posed by doing a dab on the medal stand.

[Image: r183978_600x400_3-2.jpg]

Leslie Plaza Johnson/Icon Sportswire

Mack Beggs, a 17-year-old transgender wrestler from Euless Trinity, finished the season 56-0 and won the Texas state girls' title in the 110-pound weight class.

"I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for my teammates. That's honestly what the spotlight should be on, is my teammates," Beggs said. "The hard work that I put in the practice room with them beside me, we trained every single day, EVERY single day, and that's what the spotlight should be been on, not me.

"Hard work pays off," he added, holding up his medal.

Beggs, who reached the state tournament after two opponents forfeited, was dogged throughout the tournament by questions about whether his testosterone treatments made him too strong to wrestle fairly against girls.

The University Interscholastic League, which oversees athletics in Texas public schools, enacted the birth certificate policy Aug. 1, 2016. And while Beggs' family has said he wanted to compete against boys, UIL deputy director Jamey Harrison, who refused to address Beggs directly, said the UIL had not received a request to change divisions from any athlete at this competition.

Harrison believes that the outcome of the tournament was fair, despite concerns about Beggs.

"Nothing that has happened at this year's wrestling championships has the UIL reconsidering its rules, because quite frankly, we don't believe that any issues being reported on are really a product of UIL rules," he said.

Beggs pinned Kailyn Clay earlier Saturday to reach the final. That was after he beat Taylor Latham and Mya Engert handily on Friday to reach the semifinals.

In the semifinals, the match was halted for a couple of minutes because Beggs had a bloody nose. Trainers finally managed to stop the bleeding, and the fight resumed.
Not long after, Beggs slammed Clay on the mat and pinned her.

He and Clay shared a long hug before an official raised Beggs' arm to signal victory, and the wrestler scurried off the mat. Clay's coaches shouted to reporters that she "did not have permission" to talk to them after her loss, and both of her parents declined to comment.

Beggs' participation comes at a crucial moment, with the public and politicians debating the growing belief that gender is fluid. Just this week, the Trump administration announced an end to federal protections that allowed transgender students to use facilities based on their gender identity, leaving states and school districts to determine their own policies.

And in Texas, lawmakers are considering a bill similar to HB2, the North Carolina law that prompted the NBA to move this year's All-Star Game out of that state. If passed, the Texas version, called SB6, would require transgender people to use the bathroom of their "biological sex."

Attorney Jim Baudhuin tried and failed to get injunctions before both the district and regional meets to prevent Beggs from competing while he transitions because he is taking testosterone. Baudhuin, who is the parent of a wrestler at another school who has never faced Beggs, told The Associated Press earlier this week he doesn't blame Beggs for the situation, but faults the UIL.

"The more I learn about this, the more I realize that she's just trying to live her life and her family is, too," Baudhuin said. "She's being forced into that position. Who knows, through discovery we may find out that's not the case. But every indication is, the way the winds are going now, the blame rests with the UIL and the superintendents."

Despite criticism of the policy, UIL executives don't envision a change.

"Ninety-five percent of the school superintendents in Texas voted for the rule as it was proposed, which was to use birth certificates," Harrison said. "So any rule can be reconsidered, but ... given the overwhelming support for that rule, I don't expect it to change anytime soon."

2) Lucy was arguing boys and girls wrestling was unfair to the girls...when the boy in his article lost the match.  Showing that whatever advantage Lucy imagined was offset because there was a girl that was better anyway.

3) Texas got afraid of a boy saying he was a girl winning a girls tournament and screwed up by forcing girls to wrestle other girls getting hormone treatments to become boys.  The rule allowing steroids was already in affect before this.
(02-26-2017, 12:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: So a couple points:

1) I used a different title that the the article I posted because I had read the article where he won already.  So, my bad.  But at least you had the wherewithal to check and see that I was, indeed, correct that he had won.  You're welcome in advance. 

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18767310/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-euless-trinity-wins-texas-state-girls-wrestling-title

2) Lucy was arguing boys and girls wrestling was unfair to the girls...when the boy in his article lost the match.  Showing that whatever advantage Lucy imagined was offset because there was a girl that was better anyway.

3) Texas got afraid of a boy saying he was a girl winning a girls tournament and screwed up by forcing girls to wrestle other girls getting hormone treatments to become boys.  The rule allowing steroids was already in affect before this.

1) Smart of you to take my advice and post a link showing he won; perhaps we can nip the ridicule in the bud that surely would have come.

2)I assume anyone that makes it to a state final in any event has won plenty. Folks didn't give a damn about that dynamic they just focus on kid finishing 3rd? in state final and Lucie using the word wins. I remember it so clearly, because I was so amazed at the content and the lack of any moderation to try and get the discussion focused on the point.

3) My point is it doesn't matter which ruling came first. I just stated Texas allowing folks to compete in HS athletics while taking performance enhancing drugs is the ridiculous ruling. As I was reading your poorly title OP I kept thinking: "He cannot do this, he is taking PEDs". 

No problem since he followed all the rules.
(02-26-2017, 03:03 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: No problem since he followed all the rules.

I agree the wrestler did nothing wrong; what is harder for me to empathize with is the choice the parents of the girls that had to wrestle him thought. Some will give the state kudos for allowing Beggs to wrestle against girls while taking PEDS; while others will suggest they did not do enough to protect the girls. 

(02-26-2017, 03:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree the wrestler did nothing wrong; what is harder for me to empathize with is the choice the parents of the girls that had to wrestle him thought. Some will give the state kudos for allowing Beggs to wrestle against girls while taking PEDS; while others will suggest they did not do enough to protect the girls. 

The rules are definitely flawed. I'd suggest a third or fourth category to even the playing field. Females that identify as male and males that identify as females.

One of my best friends in high school was a girl that wrestled on the boys team against boys and won a fair share of matches.
Sucks that they wouldn't let him compete with the boys. It seems like a lot of the people that want him peeing in the girls bathroom are upset that he's on the girl's team.

I have no issue with the parent petition. Having trans athletes taking testosterone play against male athletes is a reasonable policy.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-26-2017, 04:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I have no issue with the parent petition. Having trans athletes taking testosterone play against male athletes is a reasonable policy.

What about the biological male that identifies as a girl?

(02-26-2017, 03:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The rules are definitely flawed. I'd suggest a third or fourth category to even the playing field. Females that identify as male and males that identify as females.

One of my best friends in high school was a girl that wrestled on the boys team against boys and won a fair share of matches.

Sure, it could be new classes in the Special Olympics.

(02-26-2017, 05:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure, it could be new classes in the Special Olympics.

That's Lucy level wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself.
(02-26-2017, 05:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's Lucy level wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself.

What do you have against the Special Olympics?

(02-26-2017, 05:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What do you have against the Special Olympics?

1) Answering with a question is bad form.

2) Spinning it doesn't change what you said.

3) I'm not surprised you're not only not ashamed but proud of what you said.
(02-26-2017, 05:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: 1) Answering with a question is bad form.

2) Spinning it doesn't change what you said.

3) I'm not surprised you're not only not ashamed but proud of what you said.

1) You didn't ask a question, you made a personal insult (at least that was your intent). So requesting the motivation for your insult is not bad form.

2) What did I spin? (Once again you did not ask a question, so asking for clarification is not bad form)

3) What leads you to feel that I am proud of my comment? (see previous explanations) Once again looking for the motivation for your personal insult.

(02-26-2017, 05:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What about the biological male that identifies as a girl?

I like the NCAA policy. If they have undergone hormone therapy for over a year, they play with the girls. If not, they're with the boys.

(02-26-2017, 05:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure, it could be new classes in the Special Olympics.

The Special Olympics is for athletes with intellectual disabilities. A number of my academic life skills students compete in what we call "allied" sports teams and some have competed in the special olympics. What they do is bigger than being the butt of your joke on a football forum. 

You're ***** pathetic sometimes.

Would it be acceptable to have a Transgender Olympics ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
I feel bad for the girls that lost to him since they weren't on peds too, err hormonal meds I mean.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(02-26-2017, 08:04 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Would it be acceptable to have a Transgender Olympics ?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

You're asterisks pathetic

I cannot believe the stigma that is attached with the Special Olympics by the more closed-minded here. IMO there would be nothing wrong, pathetic, hateful, ect... with opening up opportunities for Transgenders to compete among themselves under the umbrella of the Special Olympics. 

(02-26-2017, 07:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The Special Olympics is for athletes with intellectual disabilities. A number of my academic life skills students compete in what we call "allied" sports teams and some have competed in the special olympics. What they do is bigger than being the butt of your joke on a football forum. 

You're ***** pathetic sometimes.

Why are you so hateful and unaccepting? So  now I've insulted those that participate in Special Olympics by suggesting those whose gender differs from their biological sex participate in athletic competition under their umbrella.

I think the issue is the closed minded see Special Olympics and automatically assign a negative connotation to them.