Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tre Flowers re-signed
This is an excellent signing.He makes our defense better.And the signing doesn’t break the bank.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 02:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I bet you're fun at parties. 

You wouldn't want to party with fun-lovin' Fred?    Tongue
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget ; Tre is a monster masher on special teams. One of our best ST players .
Reply/Quote
This pleases me he is still ascending and has a lot of room to grow as long as we give him the snaps.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Considering the limited number of snaps he played on defense I think the who "TE killer" is a bit over hyped, BUt this is still a good signing. Nice depth piece and really good ST player.

I actually agree here. I do like the signing a lot and think he has some intriguing upside , but I don’t see a reason for all of the downvotes to this post.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 06:52 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Let's not forget ; Tre is a monster masher on special teams. One of our best ST players .

He’s worth the price
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 11:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s worth the price

This is a $1.85M deal. Next to no risk, not that much above the minimum. He isn't a starter, but he has a specific role on defense and special teams, and he's young enough that he can still improve. I think this is an A+ signing.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 02:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I bet you're fun at parties. 

Fun at parties has what exactly to do with opinions about the hype a player may or may not receive?  If that's the criteria then none of us are fun at much of anything much less parties.. 
Hey! Anyone wanna go to a hype party..It's gonna be the greatest party ever!  Yawn
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One of our own that I was hoping to have back at the right price. Well the price was right. We were a very capable young defense last year. Super Bowl teams usually get picked apart in free agency. I feel like we are doing fantastic with retention.
Reply/Quote
I don't hate the signing, though I think they overpaid a bit and were likely bidding against themselves.

I'm not sure I get the whole "TE Killer" thing, though....
He played 6 snaps against the 49ers in Week 14 and George Kittle had 151 yards and a TD
He played 12 snaps against the Ravens in Week 16 and Mark Andrews had 126 yards and a TD.
He played 13 snaps against the Chiefs in Week 17 and sure Kelce only had 25 yards, but he also had a TD.
He played 21 snaps against the Raiders in the playoffs and Waller had 76 yards, 16 more than his per game average in 2021.
He played 9 snaps against the Chiefs in the playoffs and Kelce had 95 yards and a TD.

Against the best TEs the Bengals played at the end of the year, Flowers barely played and the TEs went off for 473 yards and 4 TDs in 5 games.

PFR has Flowers as allowing a 111.0 QB Rating in his coverage with the Bengals in 2021.
PFF has Flowers as a 51.3 grade.

All this hype seems to be around the fact that they held Kelce to 25 yards (and a TD) in one game... in a game where Flowers played 21% of the defensive snaps. There's no way he can live up to "TE Killer" expectations.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 02:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't hate the signing, though I think they overpaid a bit and were likely bidding against themselves.

He played 6 snaps against the 49ers in Week 14 and George Kittle had 151 yards and a TD
He played 12 snaps against the Ravens in Week 16 and Mark Andrews had 126 yards and a TD.
He played 13 snaps against the Chiefs in Week 17 and sure Kelce only had 25 yards, but he also had a TD.
He played 21 snaps against the Raiders in the playoffs and Waller had 76 yards, 16 more than his per game average in 2021.
He played 9  snaps against the Chiefs in the playoffs and Kelce had 95 yards and a TD.

Against the best TEs the Bengals played at the end of the year, Flowers barely played and the TEs went off for 473 yards and 4 TDs in 5 games.

PFR has Flowers as allowing a 111.0 QB Rating in his coverage with the Bengals in 2021.

All this hype seems to be around the fact that they held Kelce to 25 yards (and a TD) in one game... in a game where Flowers played 21% of the defensive snaps. There's no way he can live up to "TE Killer" expectations.

Those are only a fraction of the snaps for the entire set of offensive plays, so maybe he needs to be on the field for more plays against teams with good tight ends?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 12:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our TE kryptonite is back.

Great news! Was hoping to see this. Really like this guy, essential for our ST's and covering the big beast TE's of the NFL. Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 02:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Those are only a fraction of the snaps for the entire set of offensive plays, so maybe he needs to be on the field for more plays against teams with good tight ends?

Small sample size makes it tough to accurately judge, but maybe the fact that he played so few snaps also tells a story. His role could also be refined a little further this off-season. I'm interested to see how he gets on the field this year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 02:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't hate the signing, though I think they overpaid a bit and were likely bidding against themselves.

He played 9  snaps against the Chiefs in the playoffs and Kelce had 95 yards and a TD.

Thanks for the numbers TLL. They look bad when seeing this, but these are the best TE's in the NFL as you say and they
go off on everybody a lot no matter the coverage. I saw even in his bad games Tre Flowers was still blanketing these great
TE's, it just didn't matter, the passes were perfect a lot of the time and when this happens these players are impossible to 
cover. It isn't like in the past when our Safeties were just terrible at covering and the TE's were wide open in the middle of
the field. I like Tre's size and he is a very good ST's player aside from the one bad play against the Titans.
Reply/Quote