Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubling day to be a Bengals fan...
So what do we know after today?

The only touchdown Pittsburgh scored in that game, today the NFL says it shouldn't have been ruled a touchdown. We also learn Joey Porter was fined $10,000 - which obviously means there should have been a flag on the play that would've offset penalties on the Burfict hit. Frustration over that not being called led to another 15 yard penalty on Jones that wouldn't have happened if referees called the penalty the league admits with the fine they should've called. To make that $10,000 fine on Joey Porter that much more difficult to swallow... Adam Jones is fined $28,000? So much for coaches setting the example, I guess.

From all of this, I gather the NFL basically admits the wrong team has advanced in the playoffs due to referee negligence all over the place, and the only repercussions from this are that Burfict is suspended for 4 games, and is seen all around the country as the dirtiest player in football, and Adam Jones is fined more than twice the amount of the coach who set him off.

Well all of this is just great. As a Bengals fan, how am I supposed to process all of this. Instead of possibly going to the Super Bowl (maybe Andy would've been playing this week - who knows???) we get to watch the illegitimate Steelers instead. Well, thank you very much, NFL. That's marvelous!
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
It is a crock and the fix was in again imo.

Would not be surprised if Porter came out to tell the refs that the 15 yard penalty against Burfict was nice but it is still going to be a 50 yard FG in the cold rain and we need you to throw another one like we pay you to do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
When life sends you lemons, make lemonade.

In other words, make the best of it by watching DEN totally destroy and emasculate the Stealers this weekend. ThumbsUp

Oh... and, yeah... the NFL sucks!!!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:04 AM)Go Cards Wrote: It is a crock and the fix was in again imo.

Would not be surprised if Porter came out to tell the refs that the 15 yard penalty against Burfict was nice but it is still going to be a 50 yard FG in the cold rain and we need you to throw another one like we pay you to do.

I really must say... I'm almost in a state of shock like way back when I learned Santa Claus wasn't real.  Am I to process out of this that this is all like WWF - as a kid I used to believe that too, and now I never even watch it anymore.  I've really got some thinking to do here with all this information we learned today.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:07 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: When life sends you lemons, make lemonade.

In other words, make the best of it by watching DEN totally destroy and emasculate the Stealers this weekend.  ThumbsUp

Was planning to do that anyway... But man this is just really hard to take.  All game long I'll be thinking Steelers illegitimately took our spot - that My Team should still be playing this game instead.  I'm not even sure I can take that now, you know?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:10 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: Was planning to do that anyway... But man this is just really hard to take.  All game long I'll be thinking Steelers illegitimately took our spot - that My Team should still be playing this game instead.  I'm not even sure I can take that now, you know?

Can not even begin to tell of what a long wet ride back to Louisville after that game was like.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:07 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: When life sends you lemons, make lemonade.

In other words, make the best of it by watching DEN totally destroy and emasculate the Stealers this weekend.  ThumbsUp

Certainly hope so and hope it is an embarrassing extremely lopsided loss as well. 

But will not breath easy until the deed is done. 

They have definitely earned your nickname "stealers" too. Because they stole that one.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I don't see this happening for some reason. I hope Denver destroys the Steelers but I just don't see it.

I see the Steelers being dirty, injuring Denver players and advancing to the AFC Championship game to take on KC where they play dirty and move on to the Super Bowl to beat Arizona by playing dirty all while their fans rejoice, the league turns a blind eye and people call it playing tough.

I just do not trust the NFL any more to be fair. Even if Pittsburgh gets crushed this weekend, the league has all their favorite teams and players still there so they still make money.

It's going to take me a long while to get over this whole thing.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:23 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: ...It's going to take me a long while to get over this whole thing.

Me too, man.  But I'm just not sure I'll ever get over this one.  Because not only was the outcome disappointing as a fan of my team; but more disappointing concerning the outcome of the integrity of the game which is right now in question.  I'm completely devastated right now, really.
Reply/Quote
The NFL really needs to clean up its act. Not only is the fix on, but all season, well the past several seasons we've had legalized gambling in the game (fan duel etc.) where players are allowed to participate in the gambling which can and does affect the outcome of games. Refs are very likely involved as well and I have little doubt that certain refs call a lot of bullshit calls and ignore others to get the payoff..
I don't know what to do other than stop it now and do what baseball did and does and in some cases ban people from all activities in the game if caught, but the league has to acknowledge it's happening which would be bad for business so the fix will continue until fans recognize it instead of pretending it's all perfectly legit. As long as games keep selling out week after week the fix will continue.
By the way, I'm done watching football for the season and if pissburg wins the sb I'm done watching for good.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We shot ourselves in the foot more often than not. No one else to blame. Get over it .

Reply/Quote
This is my opinion the NFL is selling the national audience on the idea the Steelers won the game because of Burfict and A Jones.

The fine amounts and suspension represent what they are trying to sell to the national audience.

The small fines and lack of suspension for the Steelers coaches and players is to draw attention away from what actually occured in this game.

The NFL is now Big Time Wrestling or the WWF.

Not to mention the numerous bad calls, lack of calls, coaches on the field ,a touchdown catch which was not secured and 2 feet down ,a non call then fumble recovery which prevented a score ,.......etc.

The NFL is trying to convence everyone that this is legit.

It's Not.
Reply/Quote
Screw the Steelers and screw the referees. Yes, the Bengals lost a playoff game they should have won but in doing so they proved they can be mentally tough in prime time, they are no longer scared of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they have what it takes to win it all. I'm mad too about the call on Martavis Bryant but that's not why Pittsburgh won. The Steelers won because the Bengals laid an offensive goose egg in the first half. I'm mad about the loss but the Bengals grew a set of big brass ones a week ago when they out-thugged the worst thugs in the league.

The former Reds manager Dusty Baker always said, "We need to get a grand-slam-proof lead." By that he meant he always wanted the Reds to go ahead by at least five runs so the opposing team, even if they hit a grand slam home run, could not catch up.

The same applies to the Bengals: Get the lead and extend the lead. Go up by as many scores as possible and nobody can come back and win, even in "garbage time."
Reply/Quote
Its taken me a while to soak all this crap in the last week, and guess what im still speechless. This news was the icing on biggest bs cake ever made!
Reply/Quote
Meh...... Too much bitching (though justified) going on....

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:11 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Meh...... Too much bitching (though justified) going on....

Are you Bi-polar? I am not joking. Like for real you might wanna get checked out.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:54 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: So what do we know after today?

The only touchdown Pittsburgh scored in that game, today the NFL says it shouldn't have been ruled a touchdown.  We also learn Joey Porter was fined $10,000 - which obviously means there should have been a flag on the play that would've offset penalties on the Burfict hit.  Frustration over that not being called led to another 15 yard penalty on Jones that wouldn't have happened if referees called the penalty the league admits with the fine they should've called.  To make that $10,000 fine on Joey Porter that much more difficult to swallow... Adam Jones is fined $28,000?  So much for coaches setting the example, I guess.

From all of this, I gather the NFL basically admits the wrong team has advanced in the playoffs due to referee negligence all over the place, and the only repercussions from this are that Burfict is suspended for 4 games, and is seen all around the country as the dirtiest player in football, and Adam Jones is fined more than twice the amount of the coach who set him off.  

Well all of this is just great.  As a Bengals fan, how am I supposed to process all of this.  Instead of possibly going to the Super Bowl (maybe Andy would've been playing this week - who knows???) we get to watch the illegitimate Steelers instead.  Well, thank you very much, NFL.  That's marvelous!
No they didn't. Because they said the Gio hit was legal, that should have been returned for a TD. I'm not saying it was legal or it should have, or whatever, but I disagree that the NFL admits the wrong team won. Steelers still have the same score, just one TD is called back and another is given.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:08 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: I really must say... I'm almost in a state of shock like way back when I learned Santa Claus wasn't real.  Am I to process out of this that this is all like WWF - as a kid I used to believe that too, and now I never even watch it anymore.  I've really got some thinking to do here with all this information we learned today.

Wait...Santa's not real??? He's as real as the NFL trying to protect players from head injuries (at least Bengal players) and the NFL refs calling a fair and impartial game.
Reply/Quote
I think I'm at the point where I accept nothing will ever lessen the anger that game makes me feel. Bengals, Steelers, referees, the League offices, and the editorialists ignoring the complete disgrace of that game for their own little-picture narrative should all be ashamed...

I have to stop reading about it. It's unhealthy for me. I hope, if anything good can come of it, this game fuels an epic offseason for the team. I want to blow out opponents left and right next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 11:48 AM)BeepBeepWoo Wrote: No they didn't. Because they said the Gio hit was legal, that should have been returned for a TD. I'm not saying it was legal or it should have, or whatever, but I disagree that the NFL admits the wrong team won. Steelers still have the same score, just one TD is called back and another is given.

Don't even get me going on the Gio hit...
But even still, inadvertent whistles happen all the time and still would've happened.  But that was another play that instead of a fumble (and a score) should've been 15 yards tacked on and a first down.  No way you could ever convince me otherwise.

After all that, the Joey Porter fine still is the exclamation point.  That was the craziness at the end w/ a gimpy armed Ben where the referees gave the game away and the NFL says as much when they fine him but not flagged in game.  Referees do their job there, and we are watching our team play again this evening.  I'm sick just thinking about it!
Reply/Quote