Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump makes surprise Christmas visit to troops in Iraq in first trip to combat zone
(12-28-2018, 06:29 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL, most everyone, including you, is operating above his pay grade in this forum.  You've dodged a most interesting and critical question.

You don't disagree with "out of control"? 

Presidential words are "actions."  They move the stock market up and down, may comfort enemies and send allies looking for diplomatic re-alignment.  They set--and can lower--standards of public discourse, especially for the impressionable young.  They can uplift a nation--or shame it.

And a President's actions are actions. Just see how everyone is supporting his visiting the Troops this holiday season?

In case you missed the point of the question: Folks are responsible for their own actions.

Nope the fact that you disagreed with West's actions does not mean he is/was out of control. Hell, he wasn't even Courts Marshaled for actions in Iraq. But it's easy to say he was out of control when his actions weren't done to try to protect your safety. 

Some can't handle the ugly truth
There's a movie I recommend for you: It's called A Few Good Men. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-28-2018, 06:31 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL  Not ALL of them know this.  Same with the general population of voters.

Yes you are right, I should of made that statement clearer. Deep down inside they know. ThumbsUp
(12-28-2018, 06:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And a President's actions are actions. Just see how everyone is supporting his visiting the Troops this holiday season?

In case you missed the point of the question: Folks are responsible for their own actions.

Nope the fact that you disagreed with West's actions does not mean he is/was out of control. Hell, he wasn't even Courts Marshaled for actions in Iraq. But it's easy to say he was out of control when his actions weren't done to try to protect your safety

Some can't handle the ugly truth
There's a movie I recommend for you: It's called A Few Good Men. 

Who is missing the point in your defense of Trump and West?

Is Trump responsible for his actions?  Not if you blame the media for the negative response which follows reporting them.

It's easy to say West's actions were out of control when he had his men nab an Iraqi and beat useless information out of him.  My "disagreeing" with torture is not the criterion for determining whether his actions were out of control, The Army regulations are. And you know this. He was turned in by another soldier and, after being fined $5,000, retired to AVOID a Court Martial. Once again you cover a very negative specific behavior with a general standard/interpretation which dilutes or obscures responsibility--all while claiming "Folks are responsible for their own actions."

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2012/9/29/1137904/-Allen-West-Had-To-Resign-From-Army-To-Avoid-Court-Martial-He-s-Equally-Unfit-to-Serve-in-Congress

Military regulations are in place to "protect my safety"; and an officer who flagrantly violates those regulations because he has lost control is not protecting anything. He is increasing risk to his own personnel and mission. That's why he was channeled out of Iraq and out of command--and back to the US to become "your man".
I'm sure we can all applaud POTUS for spending another holiday in a combat environment supporting the Troops.

(12-28-2018, 05:09 PM)Beaker Wrote: He is an idiot. But I still dont assume to know his motives.

You should.  Here, letme help you out

".  .  .  After Trump left Iraqi airspace, the president posted a video to his Twitter account of his time spent with American forces during his visit to Iraq. Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA,” plays over the video."
(11-29-2019, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure we can all applaud POTUS for spending another holiday in a combat environment supporting the Troops.

If we're desperate to do so at every turn possible, we could.

I for one am done applauding that "narcissistic asshole", as someone put it recently, for everything he does that is not flatout wrong. He's done too many despicable things.
The ones I'd applaud are those that are in a combat environment daily, actually putting themselves in real danger. Those are the ones that deserve it, not the one who rather had bonespurs. (Tbh., I maybe would have had bonespurs too in his place, but I would not ask for applause in conncection with combat zone appearances then.)
(11-29-2019, 01:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: If we're desperate to do so at every turn possible, we could.

I for one am done applauding that "narcissistic asshole", as someone put it recently, for everything he does that is not flatout wrong. He's done too many despicable things.

The ones I'd applaud are those that are in a combat environment daily, actually putting themselves in real danger. Those are the ones that deserve it, not the one who rather had bonespurs. (Tbh., I maybe would have had bonespurs too in his place, but I would not ask for applause in conncection with combat zone appearances then.)

ThumbsUp

The bar is so low for Trump I'm not sure there is still a bar.

But the maga crown love their "tough guy" "says what he means" "loves the troops" Trump so this shores up the 38-43% who support him no matter if he uses the troops for a campaign ad.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-29-2019, 12:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm sure we can all applaud POTUS for spending another holiday in a combat environment supporting the Troops.

Don't know if I can applaud him or not.  Was he lying to their faces again about how much of a raise they were getting?

I wacthed the video but can't here a word he says for all the cameras firing at the photo op.
(11-29-2019, 01:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: If we're desperate to do so at every turn possible, we could.

I for one am done applauding that "narcissistic asshole",

When exactly did you start applauding him?

(11-29-2019, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know if I can applaud him or not.  Was he lying to their faces again about how much of a raise they were getting?

I wacthed the video but can't here a word he says for all the cameras firing at the photo op.

Last year they got the largest raise since 2010. Of course he can promise more, but we all know a budget is not solely left up to POTUS........don't we?

I could here him asking the kid for South Carolina where he was from. But your hearing is most likely not what it used to be. 

Personally I do not like a lot of the decision POTUS has made toward the Military, but that doesn't mean I cannot applaud him for sharing the holidays with those who could not share them with their families.

I wonder if Trump had to be talked into going to see the troops over playing golf this extended weekend. I could see someone from the Trump administration telling the President, " Mr. President, the election is less than 1 year away, we could really use that military support right about now." I imagine Trumps response would we something like, "Ah, prairie shit! Let's do it!"
I wonder how many troops' Thanksgiving holidays were ruined by this surprise trip.
And Trump would turn on every single one of them for doing their job just like he did on LTC Vindman.
(11-29-2019, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When exactly did you start applauding him?

I applauded him for admitting he is a sex offender, even if he didn't know he was being recorded at the time.

On a lighter note, I see a president during wartime making a token visit to "the troops" during the holidays the same way I see showering, or complimenting your wife, standing for the anthem, or crapping in a litter box (if you are a cat)....you get no applause for doing it, but you're going to catch hell if you DON'T do it.
(11-29-2019, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When exactly did you start applauding him?

Admittedly, it's really tough to find anything to applaud for me. I blame him for that, not me, he is a very unpleasant and uneducated person after all. Amongst my peers here at home, however, I did say several times that despite all things, he did not start a major war. I kind of applaud him for that.
The reactions here are priceless.

(11-29-2019, 10:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The reactions here are priceless.

Agreed.  That Trump supporters still beg for him to get "credit" for the extremely rare times he does something he should, or that is "good" is getting tiresome.

That is buying a toy for a 14 year old for not pooping their pants when he should have known better by now and poops his pants just to be "different" than all the other kids.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-02-2019, 11:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: Agreed.  That Trump supporters still beg for him to get "credit" for the extremely rare times he does something he should, or that is "good" is getting tiresome.

That is buying a toy for a 14 year old for not pooping their pants when he should have known better by now and poops his pants just to be "different" than all the other kids.  

I think, and I apologize, Bfine, if I'm getting your point wrong, that his point isn't that Trump should get credit for this.  His point is that he shouldn't be lambasted for it.  You look just as foolish as these mythical "Trump supporters" by attacking the man for "everything" as they do for defending "everything".   
(12-02-2019, 11:37 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think, and I apologize, Bfine, if I'm getting your point wrong, that his point isn't that Trump should get credit for this.  His point is that he shouldn't be lambasted for it.  You look just as foolish as these mythical "Trump supporters" by attacking the man for "everything" as they do for defending "everything".   

No apology required. How some of these folks expect witnesses to view them as rational thinkers is hilarious. Keep in mind: I did not start a separate thread to praise this visit, I shared it in a thread slighting him for an earlier holiday visit. There are times I just like to amuse myself by winding up the same dolls.

I think both sides are approaching this issue exactly the same way. Bfine (And presumably other right wingers) think it's hilarious how lefties can somehow not give him credit for an objectively not controversial thing he has done.

Meanwhile, lefties think it's hilarious how deep down the pile right wingers have to dig to find something even remotely commendable that Trump has done.

Same reaction, different angle. We're either all irrational or this is not a matter of rationality.

Feel free to pick either.