Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tulsi Gabbard: I’m leaving the Democratic Party
(10-20-2022, 04:40 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK, good for her. I might clarify that I didn't mean to claim she's now indistinguishable from any common GOP member. I might have given that impression, but if so, I'd have to modify a bit. Fair enough. For sure republican and republican-leaning politicians are different on certain issues, a Rand Paul is quite different from a Marjorie Taylor Greene on many fronts and so on and so forth.
The one thing they (almost) all apperently have to do is call out Schiff or the DOJ or anyone that is a perceived enemy of Trump. And so does she. I hold those statements against her and against the claim she's consistent. I rather perceive her as sycophantic to the Hannity target audience mainly. And they don't care much about any of these things.

Thank you for making my point with Rand Paul is quite different from Marjorie Taylor Greene as is Tulsi Gabbard is different from Schiff.
The Democrat party is supposed to be an open tent where different views are tolerated, but these days if you must be pro-abortion for example. Pro-life need not apply. 

I voted for Tulsi in 2020 as a write-in vote in the election and in the early primaries. I don't agree with some of her issues, but she is far better then what we have now in the White House and the VP.  But that is me a true Independent and I welcome Tulsi to the club. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 04:47 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: So she leaves the party that :checks notes: pardoned federal marijuana convictions and requests to review it's status as a schedule 1 drug. :checks notes again: Also the party that just granted $1.6 billion to communities to address addiction and overdose crises.

It's a bold strategy Cotton. 

Sounds like she just knows which audience gives her the best chance at staying relevant. 

Yes, she left the party that recently like a couple of days ago changed issue. She always felt the way about marijuana convictions, not like the Vice President that as Attorney General was locking them up, but then laughed about it on a radio station. That my friend is hypocritical. 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 04:58 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Thank you for making my point with Rand Paul is quite different from Marjorie Taylor Greene as is Tulsi Gabbard is different from Schiff.
The Democrat party is supposed to be an open tent where different views are tolerated, but these days if you must be pro-abortion for example. Pro-life need not apply. 

I voted for Tulsi in 2020 as a write-in vote in the election and in the early primaries. I don't agree with some of her issues, but she is far better then what we have now in the White House and the VP.  But that is me a true Independent and I welcome Tulsi to the club. 

As an aside to the bold:  No.  You can certainly be pro-life and be a Democrat.  What many of us believe, however, is that women have the right o choose for themselves. We are against making abortion illegal, not necessarily pro-abortion.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 04:58 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Thank you for making my point with Rand Paul is quite different from Marjorie Taylor Greene as is Tulsi Gabbard is different from Schiff.

OK wait I did not slam her for being different from Schiff. I slammed her because she called Schiff a domestic threat.

(10-20-2022, 04:58 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The Democrat party is supposed to be an open tent where different views are tolerated, but these days if you must be pro-abortion for example. Pro-life need not apply. 

Like a broken record there's always the first thing I'd say, the two-party system is awful, in so many ways. For one, wide tents don't work any more, I'd say mainly because of audience perception limits, but whatever. I can see how one can blame the democrats over failing to still be that, it's a fair point. But as always, it's a coin with two sides and the other side is considerably worse, in their demand to be loyal to Trump no matter what for example. But that leads too far. I'll leave it at that, I am in no way a generic defender of the Democratic party. They have their issues.

(10-20-2022, 04:58 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I voted for Tulsi in 2020 as a write-in vote in the election and in the early primaries. I don't agree with some of her issues, but she is far better then what we have now in the White House and the VP.  But that is me a true Independent and I welcome Tulsi to the club. 

At which point I'd respond the same way I responded to SSF - fair enough, you like her, I don't say there's anything wrong with that. There's just reasons why I don't. You can handle my laying them out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 05:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: As an aside to the bold:  No.  You can certainly be pro-life and be a Democrat.  What many of us believe, however, is that women have the right o choose for themselves. We are against making abortion illegal, not necessarily pro-abortion.

Yes, obvious you could have any position and be a Democrat or a Republican as a voter.
What I am talking about are main politicians or higher ups in the party. 
There are no, none, nada, higher ups in the Democratic Party that is Pro-Life.
Name me that person please.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 05:34 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK wait I did not slam her for being different from Schiff. I slammed her because she called Schiff a domestic threat.

Schiff has top secret credentials and he had an affair with a Chinese spy. And it was not just the affair, he allowed himself to compromise U.S. secrets to her. 

I work for the Government and if I did what Schiff did my top secret clearance would be gone. And so would I. 

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:24 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Schiff has top secret credentials and he had an affair with a Chinese spy. And it was not just the affair, he allowed himself to compromise U.S. secrets to her. 

I work for the Government and if I did what Schiff did my top secret clearance would be gone. And so would I. 

That was Eric Swalwell.  You are correct though that he should absolutely lose his security clearance over that affair.  Any employee of the government in the same situation would lose their clearance instantly. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:13 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Yes, obvious you could have any position and be a Democrat or a Republican as a voter.
What I am talking about are main politicians or higher ups in the party. 
There are no, none, nada, higher ups in the Democratic Party that is Pro-Life.
Name me that person please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cuellar

Quote:Cuellar opposes abortion.[3] He expressed concerns that the Senate health care bill allowed federal funding for abortion. He has voted for a ban on abortion after week 20.[56] On March 21, 2010, Cuellar voted for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which passed the House by a vote of 219–212.[57] In 2021, he was the only Democrat to vote against the Women's Health Protection Act, which aims to preserve access to abortion nationwide. The Act was proposed in response to the Texas Heartbeat Act which bans abortion after 6 weeks in Texas.[58]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cuellar#cite_note-59][/url]

As a voter I wouldn't use that one issue to decide on someone. I am anti-abortion but pro-choice. I'd prefer my representatives look at way to curb abortion with education and availability of better contraceptives, but my area has turned very red and the only thing they seem to care about his ending abortion rights.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cuellar
In 2021, he was the only Democrat to vote against the Women's Health Protection Act, which aims to preserve access to abortion nationwide.

In clearly said higher ups. Strange you could find one.
Cuellar has an issue with Open Border that the Biden Administration is not listening to him, which further proof's he is not that high up the food chain. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:49 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: In 2021, he was the only Democrat to vote against the Women's Health Protection Act, which aims to preserve access to abortion nationwide.

In clearly said higher ups. Strange you could find one.
Cuellar has an issue with Open Border that the Biden Administration is not listening to him, which further proof's he is not that high up the food chain. 

You said find one.  I did.  

Quote:Cuellar served 14 years in the Texas House of Representatives before a brief stint as Texas secretary of state in 2001. He was first elected to Congress in 2004, after defeating the more liberal 28th district incumbent, Ciro Rodriguez, in the primary, and after a failed run for Congress in the neighboring 23rd district in 2002. Cuellar has survived multiple competitive primary races in recent years, most notably in 2020 and 2022.
Reply/Quote
Anyway...back to Gabbard the Grifter:

Reply/Quote
She's just so smart!

https://www.alternet.org/2022/03/legal-experts-debunk-tulsi-gabbards-claim-that-us-media-climate-is-not-much-different-from-russia/

Quote:Democratic former Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii has been pandering to MAGA Republicans a lot recently, speaking at the 2022 Conservative Political Action Conference in Orlando, Florida and making frequent appearances on Fox News —where she hasn’t been shy about defending Russian President Vladimir Putin.

During a March 15 appearance on Fox News, Gabbard told far-right host Jesse Watters that freedom of the press in the United States is “not so different” from Russia. And PolitiFact’s Bill McCarthy pushes back against that claim aggressively in an article published on March 18.

Gabbard told Watters, “This foundation of freedom of speech, freedom of expression is directly under threat and under attack.… What’s happening here is not so different from what we’re seeing happening in Russia, where you’ve got state TV and controlled messaging across the board. This is where we’re at."

McCarthy, in response, explains, “A new law in Russia threatens up to 15 years of prison time for spreading information about the war that authorities consider to be ‘false.’ There are no parallels in the U.S., where freedom of speech, expression and the press are safeguarded by the Constitution. Gabbard alleged censorship by social media companies, but experts say those claims are not supported by evidence.”

Scott Gehlbach, who teaches political science at the University of Chicago, denounced Gabbard’s claims as “absurd.”

“In Russia, one can now face up to 15 years in prison for simply calling a war a war," Gehlbach told PolitiFact.
“In the U.S., citizens such as Tulsi Gabbard are free to make not only truthful, but untruthful, statements without fear of legal sanction."

Similarly, Ellen Goodman, a law professor at Rutgers University in New Jersey, told PolitiFact, "The state in Russia is criminalizing speech and locking people up. That is not happening in the U.S. — not at (the) hands of private parties or state."

David Kaye, who teaches law at the University of California, Irvine, also pushed back against Gabbard’s claims.
Kaye told PolitiFact, “Russia is exercising extraordinary powers of censorship unseen in Russia since the Soviet era…. Is there anything remotely like this in the United States? No. The U.S. government lacks power under the Constitution to engage in the kind of actions taking place in Russia."
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 04:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: You said find one.  I did.  

I also clearly said main politician and/or higher ups. He is neither which is why the Biden administration ignores him.

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 05:03 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I also clearly said main politician and/or higher ups. He is neither which is why the Biden administration ignores him.

He's been in congress for 18 years.

Unless you have some kind of direct knowledge that he's been ignored I'd say you're just not acknowledging that there is at least one like you asked for.

And that was in response to a broad brush statement about the Democrats not allowing anyone in who opposed abortions.

All of that said, this was a thread about Gabbard.
Reply/Quote
Wow, someone is really anxious to convince us that Gabbard is not smart.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 05:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: She's just so smart!

https://www.alternet.org/2022/03/legal-experts-debunk-tulsi-gabbards-claim-that-us-media-climate-is-not-much-different-from-russia/

Love when members here only use part of the discussion like her appearance at CPAC.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/24/tulsi-gabbard-cpac-message-00011694

You won't mention this by the way.

"But Gabbard has also been in alignment with her party on issues that rankle the right, such as Medicare for all, free community college, gun control and climate change."

Her message at CPAC...

Gabbard's message to CPAC: Can't we all just get along?
The 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful will make a plea for unity at the conference for GOP activists.

This is why I am an Independent and not a R or a D.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 05:10 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Love when members here only use part of the discussion like her appearance at CPAC.

Wow, it's almost like being perceived as correct is more important than being truthful.  Such a shame.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2022, 05:10 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Love when members here only use part of the discussion like her appearance at CPAC.

You won't mention this by the way.

"But Gabbard has also been in alignment with her party on issues that rankle the right, such as Medicare for all, free community college, gun control and climate change."

Her message at CPAC...

Gabbard's message to CPAC: Can't we all just get along?
The 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful will make a plea for unity at the conference for GOP activists.

This is why I am an Independent and not a R or a D.

(10-21-2022, 05:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wow, it's almost like being perceived as correct is more important than being truthful.  Such a shame.

So you're both just gonna ignore the pedophilia comments and all that huh?

Something something correct something something truthful something something. 
Reply/Quote