Poll: Who is the first weekly turd of the day?
Dalton
Ogbuehi
Bodine
Zietler
Shawn Williams
Iloka
Pacman
Kirkpatrick
Dansby
Guenther
Nugent
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turd of the day
(10-31-2016, 11:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As for OT...stopping the first drive means very little if you can't stop the second, if required. Luckily, the FG was missed. It's fine to give them credit for the first series in OT, because they did their job. It's also fair to criticize them for the second series, where they allowed them to drive down for a short FG attempt. And...when the take the game as a whole...the performance of the defense left a lot to be desired.

Yep, they should have done their job and given up 0 points in OT. 

As I said half the team did their job in OT; yet folks are trying very hard to disagree with this. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Along with half the team I also don't pick a coach when picking best/worst in a game. D had a bad game but I cannot pinpoint one person that really stood out; although in my OP I did lean toward Carlos Dunlap. When the good players underperform; it is more costly and rewarding. Nuge missing a FG is to be expected unfortunately. 

Good point, and I can agree with that. We need our best to be at their best, and if they're not, it can be more impactful. If someone like Dalton or Green has an off day, it hurts us more than if...say Maualuga has an off day. We've seen that with Burfict all year.

I'd say that's a fair enough point, although it's tough not to be mad at Nugent. The 50 yarder would've been more forgiveable had he not missed the XP as well. I'll end by saying this. Although I feel Dalton heavily contributed to the tie, I feel like if we'd pulled out the W, you could've said Dalton contributed to that as well. Like I've been saying, he was a mixed bag. Some good mixed with some really bad.

Fwiw, I'm fine with coaches being labeled turd of the day. I'd also be fine if you put coordinators in your game ball threads. It's almost always tough to nail down 1-2 terrible players when the defense has such an awful day. Usually it's a combination of many things that leads to 500+ yards and 27 points.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Neg rep?  Are you seriously crying about imaginary points on the internet?  What are you.....3?

Look Skippie.....first off I've NEVER neg repped anyone.  Ak a mod.  Second off....I've been a fan of this team since Forrest Gregg was here.  Third....I'm no "Dalton fan". I played interior line and some DE.....Whitworth and Burfict are my favorite current Bengals....and one of them is playing like shit.

I don't recall you in the mega Dalton thread....or much else last year...to be honest.....but I have seen you a bunch this year.....and it's just some tired ass shit.  If you think a QB lost a game where the defense made Kurt Cousins look like Dan Marino....and gave up big yards to an undrafted no name out of Tulane.....then I dunno what to tell you bub.  All I can say is that I knew it was gonna be a long day after the skins' opening drive.

Reading this shit reminds me of the pencil neck ex band geeks at Commonwealth Stadium blaming Jarred Lorenzen for going 3-8. Lack of knowledge of the game.
Shows how much you know. I don't, or at least try not to post in any thread about Dalton. It gets me banned or a warning. You're just trying to troll me there. Good day. Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, they should have done their job and given up 0 points in OT. 

As I said half the team did their job in OT; yet folks are trying very hard to disagree with this. 

In OT, half the team did their job...half the time. In those two series, they did their job the first time, and didn't do so well the second time.

As for them not surrendering any points in OT, you're absolutely right. However, I think the Skins kicker deserves some of that credit.

BTW, I'm not defending the mistakes made by the offense either. I'm just saying that overall, the defensive performance was worse. You can certainly pick out individual players on both sides of the ball that would qualify as turds in that game, but IMO...the D - as a group - earned the award. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In OT, half the team did their job...half the time. In those two series, they did their job the first time, and didn't do so well the second time.

You do realize that OT doesn't end after one series per team in which no one scores, right?

BTW, I'm not defending the mistakes made by the offense either. I'm just saying that overall, the defensive performance was worse. You can certainly pick out individual players on both sides of the ball that would qualify as turds in that game, but IMO...the D - as a group - earned the award. 

You further realize that if a team does not score in OT that the opposing D has done their job, right?

I get it, you've got your heels dug in. We'll just disagree with the notion that a defense that gave up 0 points in 15 minutes of sudden death did not do their job.

Reply/Quote
Not only did the D do its job in OT. They did it twice.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You further realize that if a team does not score in OT that the opposing D has done their job, right?

I get it, you've got your heels dug in. We'll just disagree with the notion that a defense that gave up 0 points in 15 minutes of sudden death did not do their job.

The dude missed a 34 yard FG to win it.  It was a clear-cut case of Hopkins not doing his job as opposed to the D doing theirs.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:53 PM)JumboTron Wrote: The dude missed a 34 yard FG to win it.  It was a clear-cut case of Hopkins not doing his job as opposed to the D doing theirs.

Why didn't Washington just score the TD?

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:53 PM)JumboTron Wrote: The dude missed a 34 yard FG to win it.  It was a clear-cut case of Hopkins not doing his job as opposed to the D doing theirs.

You coming around on Nuge yet?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:43 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Shows how much you know. I don't, or at least try not to post in any thread about Dalton. It gets me banned or a warning. You're just trying to troll me there. Good day. Cool

For the record, no one has ever been banned or warned for bad-mouthing Dalton.

That's just not how things go on here. If you have any questions about why you have been warned or banned in the past, send a PM to a mod.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why didn't Washington just score the TD?

Because a 34 yard FG wins the game.  

Also, by your logic why did the D give up 24 points?  I mean they kept WAS off the board the final 15 minutes, why couldn't they do it for the four 15 minute periods prior?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:59 PM)Fresno B Wrote: You coming around on Nuge yet?

Nah, I'm focusing on the other garbage stick figure called a kicker that was out there on Sunday right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:01 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Because a 34 yard FG wins the game.  

Also, by your logic why did the D give up 24 points?  I mean they kept WAS off the board the final 15 minutes, why couldn't they do it for the four 15 minute periods prior?

Did they try the FG on 1st down knowing it would win the game? 

My logic is nothing more than the D did its job in OT by giving up 0 points. Obviously my logic should be questioned

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 11:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You further realize that if a team does not score in OT that the opposing D has done their job, right?

Did the D allow the Skins to get in position for a chip shot FG in OT?

Fortunately the Skins kicker missed, but you can't overlook the drive the preceded the FG attempt and pretend it didn't happen. Well, you can, but it wouldn't be very honest. 

I have no problem giving them credit for the first stop. Likewise, I have no problem saying they gave the Skins an opportunity to win the game on their second attempt to stop them. Why is that so hard to admit?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:05 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Did the D allow the Skins to get in position for a chip shot FG in OT?

Fortunately the Skins kicker missed, but you you can't overlook the drive the preceded the FG attempt and pretend it didn't happen. Well, you can, but it wouldn't be very honest. 

I have no problem giving them credit for the first stop. Likewise, I have no problem saying they gave the Skins an opportunity to win the game on their second attempt to stop them. Why is that so hard to admit?

Not sure what is hard to admit. I assert the D did their job in OT by giving up 0 points (I don't care if dude missed a 2 yard FG or whatever constitutes a "chip shot" FG). You and others disagree. You guys are most likely right and I'm having a hard time admitting it

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Did they try the FG on 1st down knowing it would win the game? 

My logic is nothing more than the D did its job in OT by giving up 0 points. Obviously my logic should be questioned

Yes the D surrendered zero points in OT.  Yes Washington's kicker missed a game winning 34 yard FG.  If you want to believe it was due to the D playing well that's fine.  I personally think they were lucky as sh*t.  
Reply/Quote
Why are we focusing only on OT again? Is it because the defense gave up 27 points and around 500 yards during regulation? So we have to focus on an OT period where they were somewhat better just to make it appear like they had an ok day?

That's an awful lot of stretching to make the defense look like it was something more than abysmal.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:09 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Yes the D surrendered zero points in OT.  Yes Washington's kicker missed a game winning 34 yard FG.  If you want to believe it was due to the D playing well that's fine.  I personally think they were lucky as sh*t.  

I believe nothing more than the D did their job it OT; obviously, I'm in the vast minority.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I believe nothing more than the D did their job it OT; obviously, I'm in the vast minority.

My only issue with the "D did their job in OT" is that it's a bit misleading.  Yeah, Washington did not score but it had most everything to do with them not making a chip-shot FG as opposed to the D stoning them or "doing their Job".
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure what is hard to admit. I assert the D did their job in OT by giving up 0 points (I don't care if dude missed a 2 yard FG or whatever constitutes a "chip shot" FG). You and others disagree. You guys are most likely right and I'm having a hard time admitting it

Just curious brother, if they had made the FG...in your opinion, would the D have still have 'done it's job'?

The reason I ask is because this seems to be - at least partly - dependent on whether the kick is made or not. 

They allowed the drive that put the Skins in position to win. Does missing the FG discount the drive that put them in position? 
Reply/Quote