Poll: Who is the first weekly turd of the day?
Dalton
Ogbuehi
Bodine
Zietler
Shawn Williams
Iloka
Pacman
Kirkpatrick
Dansby
Guenther
Nugent
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turd of the day
(11-01-2016, 10:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How is a kicker missing a relatively easy field goal the defense doing its job?

Seriously. The defense had nothing to do with the missed field goal. Most if not all were standing on the sidelines. That, after they allowed them to get into position to win the game. 

So again, how do they get credit for doing their job when they allow a scoring opportunity and then have nothing at all to do with causing the missed field goal?

If the Skins would have missed a 50 yard FG did the D do its job. How about 40, 30, 20, 10? When does they D fail to do its job when it holds an opponent scoreless in a sudden-death situation?

Did they do their job when they stopped Wash in the opening series and gave our O a chance to win the game?

Never mind this has gone on long enough. As I said many posts ago: I assert the D did its job when it holds a team scoreless in a sudden-death situation; others disagree. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 10:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the Skins would have missed a 50 yard FG did the D do its job. How about 40, 30, 20, 10? When does they D fail to do its job when it holds an opponent scoreless in a sudden-death situation?

Did they do their job when they stopped Wash in the opening series and gave our O a chance to win the game?

Never mind this has gone on long enough. As I said many posts ago: I assert the D did its job when it holds a team scoreless in a sudden-death situation; others disagree. 

I think i get what you're getting at and i'll agree that on the first and last drives, the D did their job. The last drive especially was good because the skins got the ball near midfield with over a minute left and didn't mount a serious threat (that i recall). 

It comes down to semantics, really. 2 of 3 times the D didn't allow Washington a scoring opportunity. 1 time they did and were fortunate that it was missed. 

Both sides have and argument to make. My whole reasoning for choosing the side i did is because you can only really say the D did their job 2 of 3 times. A blanket statement like "they did their job because they gave up 0 points" is deceptive because they allowed them to get in range for a reasonably easy FG, and also gave them a chance to go for the TD if they had chosen to do that instead. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Still not sure why only OT is being discussed. Overall, I think the D did a good job in OT. In regulation, they allowed 500 yards and 27 points. The offense did it's job in regulation, while the defense and Nugent did not. If Nuge hits his kicks...no OT. If the defense didn't get roasted...no OT. The offense shouldn't have to hit 30 to get a W.

It's the opposite of our most recent playoff failure, where everyone but the offense did a fine job.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Meh....just rewatched the game. Anyone who thinks anyone other than Mike Nugent lost this game is nuts. Even the torched defense was in a spot to save the day in regulation with a 4th and 10 under 2 minutes around the 20. Nugent barely made another XP. ************ sucks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote