Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turner is out, who is available?
(01-02-2021, 07:17 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is all meaningless. Keeping Taylor and any of his pals another day is a disgrace. The team is just wasting player talent by letting these coaches continue with the team.

What OL coach is going to come work for Taylor?

Any college Oline coach who wants to get his foot in the NFL door.
I'd take the Oline coach from Wisconsin--Jim Leonhard...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope that the Bengals have been having some behind the scenes talks with whomever they have in mind to replace Turner. At least they were proactive and created the new openings before the end of the season, meaning the entire field of NFL teams not in playoff races and CFB coaches is open to them.

There are plenty of high quality OL coaches out there at both the college and NFL level. Personally, I'd prefer that they choose a coach with a lengthy and diverse volume of experience, i.e. having been a coordinator or HC at some level. We really need an OL coach that will serve as Running Game Coordinator with at least an assistant or two at his disposal to help with building individual OL technique and schematic implementation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Is it possible to talk about replacements instead of Zac Taylor?

As to the actual subject:

I've always liked Tom Cable and would look at him if LV makes changes

Paul Alexander is an easy answer

Greg Studrawa he can make the likes of Billy Price and Michael Johnson look good
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paul Alexander is an easy answer

No more easy answers. We’ve had thirty years of easy answers.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:03 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Any college Oline coach who wants to get his foot in the NFL door.
I'd take the Oline coach from Wisconsin--Jim Leonhard...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jim Leonhard is Wisconsin's defensive coordinator. 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:11 PM)pally Wrote: Jim Leonhard is Wisconsin's defensive coordinator. 

Still a better choice than Jim Turner.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 05:45 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was going to ask this in another thread, but I felt it deserved a place of its own to be discussed.

The news is out, Jim Turner is gone!

[Image: 13f.gif]

So, now the question is, who is out there and available that you'd like to see brought in for interview?

How did that finally happen? Was Mikey Boy watching the Buckeyes last night and his wife said, “See, dear? Look how important ‘blockers’ are!”
Reply/Quote
Munoz or Willie. I know, people will shout, "No NFL coaching experience!" For me, though, they know technique and skills and I am confident they will command respect from players and can learn to coach and teach along the way.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:23 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Munoz or Willie. I know, people will shout, "No NFL coaching experience!" For me, though, they know technique and skills and I am confident they will command respect from players and can learn to coach and teach along the way.

If we're going former player. I'd see if Whit is ready for a change. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...
Paul Alexander is an easy answer

You must be as drunk as your avatar, lol.

Veteran yes, retread no. 
Personally I think if Zac is staying,  and worse yet, continues to call the plays, or a experienced OC is not hired,
Then
A veteran presence is needed as Oline coach. We don't need another guy learning the ropes as he goes. We need someone who can hit the ground running.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Paul Alexander is an easy answer

Lord help us...he couldn’t last a whole season with the Cowboys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Tom Herman might be an intriguing hire. He’s been a head coach and offensive coordinator in the college ranks.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 06:58 PM)Benton Wrote: Jeff quinn from ND.

He's got aexperience as a hc, oc and line coach. Like any coach, he's had some mixed results, but I think the biggest thing is the guys best skill is supposed to be as a motivator. Players like him, other coaches like him. And he's got a lot of coaching connections which wouldn't hurt with our scouting.

Outside of that, I'd see if anyone shakes loose with the firings over the next few weeks. We might get lucky, especially if a coach thinks he's going to have jonah and sewell to form something around.

I was just thinking about this a couple days ago and looked up ND’s coaches. I read Quinn is a better recruiter than coach, which works fine in college, but not in pros. I also read he’s only been the coach a couple of years and ND has been putting out great linemen longer than that. So, I looked up his predecessor and he is available. His name is Harry Hiestand. He’s been a line coach for a long, long time with very good success at some places, not so great at other stops. I think the staff could use somebody with a lot of experience, so Hiestand is probably top of my list.

Marco Colombo is another guy I like. Zac could use an ass kicking.
Reply/Quote
To me, it has to be somebody with an experienced background who can teach these guys proper technique. I look at our line and I see guys who should be moving the pile and holding their own, they just often look confused. We have the size and pedigree, just need a more focused and logical approach that I don’t believe we were getting from Turner.
Reply/Quote
It is hard to judge college position coaches because many of the most successful ones are the ones who get the highest rated recruits.

But that being said, it is also true that many of the best position coaches get their start at the college level.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we're going former player. I'd see if Whit is ready for a change. 

I don't know if he is ready yet, but everything about Whit screams "coach".

The reason we took him in the second round was the way he impressed our coaches with his understanding of blocking schemes.  Then as a professional he was one of the greatest natural leaders I have ever seen.
Reply/Quote
The PC police win again.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:11 PM)pally Wrote: Jim Leonhard is Wisconsin's defensive coordinator. 

Just curious.  Is he the former safety of the NY Jets?
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 09:38 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Just curious.  Is he the former safety of the NY Jets?

Yes — and a very good one.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 06:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Doug Marrone could be another possibility. He's been a HC, OC and o-line coach in the NFL, and he would bring a ton of experience to a staff that doesn't have much. 

Marrone would be a great hire as O-line coach (or even OC) if he gets fired from the Jags.  

Jacksonville won 2 playoff games when he was their head coach in 2017.

Bills had their first winning season in 10 years when he was their head coach in 2014.

Saints won a playoff game when he was their OC in 2006.

Jets won playoff games in both '02 and '04 when he was their OL coach.
Reply/Quote