Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turner is out, who is available?
(01-02-2021, 06:44 PM)pally Wrote: Make Bill Callahan an offer he can't refuse and steal him from the Browns. Turner stood in the way last season. This would be his chance to work with his son (assuming he doesn't lose his job). He won't need permission to break his contract if we give him a different title such as asst head coach

Running game co-ordinator with his son as passing game co-ordinator.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 09:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I was just thinking about this a couple days ago and looked up ND’s coaches. I read Quinn is a better recruiter than coach, which works fine in college, but not in pros. I also read he’s only been the coach a couple of years and ND has been putting out great linemen longer than that. So, I looked up his predecessor and he is available. His name is Harry Hiestand. He’s been a line coach for a long, long time with very good success at some places, not so great at other stops. I think the staff could use somebody with a lot of experience, so Hiestand is probably top of my list.

Marco Colombo is another guy I like. Zac could use an ass kicking.

Jeff Quinn has been a college coach uninterrupted for 26 years.  A vast majority of that as OL coach and as an offensive coordinator.  He has been a college head coach as well.  He was the college OL coach for Joe Staley and Jason Kelce.  The ND line played quite well this year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I thin Paul Alexander is still available
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 09:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I was just thinking about this a couple days ago and looked up ND’s coaches. I read Quinn is a better recruiter than coach, which works fine in college, but not in pros. I also read he’s only been the coach a couple of years and ND has been putting out great linemen longer than that. So, I looked up his predecessor and he is available. His name is Harry Hiestand. He’s been a line coach for a long, long time with very good success at some places, not so great at other stops. I think the staff could use somebody with a lot of experience, so Hiestand is probably top of my list.

Marco Colombo is another guy I like. Zac could use an ass kicking.

Hiestand was a different kind of coach. He was a hard nosed technique guy that was pretty legendary at ND.

Quinn had a rough spot following him up, but he's done well. Mostly because people like him. He's one of those coaches that connects with guys, which is a little different than hiestand. 

Not that I think hiestand would be a bad coach, he had a lot of success. But I think at the nfl level you need guys that can motivate more than teach. It's hard to get a guy making 5-10 million a year interested regardless of how he performs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-moving-on-from-multiple-coaches

“The front office told Taylor that he needed to make changes to his staff or they would revisit the conversation at a higher level, according to sources.”

What does that say? It says Zac did not want to move on from Turner and other coaches on staff but was forced by the front office or his job would be in jeopardy. The fact that the front office told Taylor he needed to move on from them and he wasn't 100% behind this or wanted it doesn't bode well for his decision making as a head coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 06:00 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/02/bengals-wont-bring-back-jim-turner-two-coaches-2021/amp/

Little surprised about eason. I thought he was developing guys a little better.

Same here. I don't get it. 

I also don't get this

Quote:Per Jesse’s report, team ownership told Taylor his staff needed to undergo certain changes or bigger changes could end up happening.

Is that "If you don't fire THEM, we will fire YOU"?

That doesn't ring true to me.  Maybe it is, but it just sounds off.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No more easy answers.  We’ve had thirty years of easy answers.

There's nothing easy about ketchup bottles.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Well hell. No matter where Turner ends up whether it’s his couch or coaching the art of the OL back pedal to middle schoolers I hope Booby fart goes with him
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No more easy answers.  We’ve had thirty years of easy answers.

Hilarious  for real man lol
Reply/Quote
I think they like Turners assistant Ben Martin. Doubt he gets the nod but it would be very Bengaly if he did
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:47 AM)Benton Wrote: Hiestand was a different kind of coach. He was a hard nosed technique guy that was pretty legendary at ND.

Quinn had a rough spot following him up, but he's done well. Mostly because people like him. He's one of those coaches that connects with guys, which is a little different than hiestand. 

Not that I think hiestand would be a bad coach, he had a lot of success. But I think at the nfl level you need guys that can motivate more than teach. It's hard to get a guy making 5-10 million a year interested regardless of how he performs.

Far too many O linemen are coming into the NFL with bad or limited NFL technique especially once you get past the top one or two guys.  Many college teams don't play NFL style offenses.  Motivation is important obviously but in 2021 the ability to teach these guys how to play pro-level tackle, guard, and center is even more essential.  Motivation comes much easier when you have players who are comfortable and skilled at the jobs they are being asked to perform

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 05:45 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was going to ask this in another thread, but I felt it deserved a place of its own to be discussed.

The news is out, Jim Turner is gone!

[Image: 13f.gif]

So, now the question is, who is out there and available that you'd like to see brought in for interview?

The answer seems pretty clear:  Get Bill Callahan and add the title of asst head coach so it is a promotion.  I can't imagine any father wouldn't want to work with his son and it would be poaching a great asset from a division foe.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 06:44 PM)pally Wrote: Make Bill Callahan an offer he can't refuse and steal him from the Browns.  Turner stood in the way last season.  This would be his chance to work with his son (assuming he doesn't lose his job).  He won't need permission to break his contract if we give him a different title such as asst head coach

You beat me to it.  And I believe since it is a promotion, they could have already been in discussions with him???

I would be surprised if the Bengals made these moves and didn't already have some kind of deal in place with replacements.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The answer seems pretty clear:  Get Bill Callahan and add the title of asst head coach so it is a promotion.  I can't imagine any father wouldn't want to work with his son and it would be poaching a great asset from a division foe.  

But he's be working FOR his son. How many fathers would want to do that?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The defense and offense knowing Turner was going to be dump before it was officially announced is what probably triggered their massive play lift since the squeeler game.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But he's be working FOR his son. How many fathers would want to do that?

Not many, but Monte Kiffen did it.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 07:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He should feel that his job is threatened. Keeping Taylor is a waste.

Mike Brown is a man of second (and third, and fourth, etc) changes.
This is basically his way of saying Taylor needs to have a big year next year or he's out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:11 PM)pally Wrote: Jim Leonhard is Wisconsin's defensive coordinator. 

My bad. 

Joe Rudolph      Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/OL

Sounds like ZT could use him all-around...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But he's be working FOR his son. How many fathers would want to do that?

I can't imagine many wouldn't. How proud he would be that his son excelled to the point he is now working for him. Someone would have to be a giant douche not to wish such success on their son.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:55 AM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-moving-on-from-multiple-coaches

“The front office told Taylor that he needed to make changes to his staff or they would revisit the conversation at a higher level, according to sources.”

What does that say? It says Zac did not want to move on from Turner and other coaches on staff but was forced by the front office or his job would be in jeopardy. The fact that the front office told Taylor he needed to move on from them and he wasn't 100% behind this or wanted it doesn't bode well for his decision making as a head coach.

Yep they should sack him. If you don't trust the guy to pick his own assistants then what's the point. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is fired sometime between now and February.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote