Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turner on the O-line
(05-14-2020, 07:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wasn’t that a Marvin thing a few years ago?

Yes, Marvin liked to put some stupid, cryptic slogan on shirts.  Things like "Run on your own gas", and such, but he didn't invent the idea of motivational uniform shirts.  Heck, it's tough for anyone to actually come up with a truly original thought or idea, in this day and age.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 03:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Eh, I’m not a big fan of coaches/scouts claiming they just “feel” something about a player. Maybe if you’re an all time great that has a track record of developing guys into probowlers/hofers, but otherwise I’d rather you trust technique and production.

Redmond’s career has been nothing but injuries and penalties, yet we keep hearing how tough he looks or his mean streak. Now Turner just “feels it” from him.

To me it’s a pretty simple checklist:
1) Be available
2) Execute assignments
3) No penalties
4) Put guys on their backs

All this other stuff about character, toughness, mean streak doesn’t matter to me unless it’s affecting those 4 things.

Yeah, I'm not high on Redmond. He may be weight room strong and have a mean streak, I just don't remember very many plays where it translated to the field. He seems to get pushed around.... a lot.
Reply/Quote
Redmond is like the Nick Vigil of the offense
Looks the part , but cant play the part
Redmond just lacks the smarts to be a effective OG.
Like I said when they start using cliches on a guy
" plays with a mean streak....tenacious "
That just means that lack every other component
To be truly effective
They never had to say when taking about Joe Thomas
Or Alan Faneca
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 08:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe Jonah can give him some pointers.

Ouch
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:05 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Redmond is like the Nick Vigil of the offense
Looks the part , but cant  play the part
Redmond just lacks the smarts to be a effective OG.
Like I said when they start using cliches on a guy
" plays with a mean streak....tenacious "
That just means that lack every other component
To be truly effective
They never had to say when taking about Joe Thomas
Or Alan Faneca

I remember, I think it was two seasons ago ? Somebody on the Oline commenting on Redmond saying something like " He's a mean SOB, vicious, he's gonna tear people up " 

That's all fine and dandy but he needs to actually start doing it.
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams working with Joe Staley.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm just burned out on getting worked up over the offensive line at this point. Maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll be terrible. We'll just have to see.
A bad offensive line doesn't guarantee Burrow will get hurt, just as a good offensive line doesn't guarantee he won't get hurt.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
My prediction is that this oline is going to cost Turner his job.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 09:53 AM)Synric Wrote: Jonah Williams working with Joe Staley.

That is some encouraging news.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:43 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel they are trying to build a run heavy O which I’m happy about. 

Drafting a WR in the second round would suggest otherwise, no? In fact I keep hearing that they may run lots of empty sets because they have the QB to do it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 12:48 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: My prediction is that this oline is going to cost Turner his job.

If he can get them to buy into what he is wanting to accomplish, they could also make his career noteworthy for the right reasons..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:50 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Drafting a WR in the second round would suggest otherwise, no? In fact I keep hearing that they may run lots of empty sets because they have the QB to do it. 

Higgins is the AJ insurance plan. I don’t see this offense going 5 wide as often as we hope. The offensive lines strengths are run blocking at this point in time. Pass pro is highly questionable.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:50 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Drafting a WR in the second round would suggest otherwise, no? In fact I keep hearing that they may run lots of empty sets because they have the QB to do it. 

LSU Last year:

482 rushing attempts
567 passing attempts

Of course, slanted more to the pass, but I don't expect much change for us this year, from that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Higgins is the AJ insurance plan. I don’t see this offense going 5 wide as often as we hope. The offensive lines strengths are run blocking at this point in time. Pass pro is highly questionable.

It is very rare for teams to run 5 wide in the NFL mainly because the guys chasing the QB are so much faster than colleges players.  I don't have the numbers for 2019, but in 2018 when the Chiefs had the best scrambling passer in the league throwing 50 tds they only went 5-wide 9% of the time and that was 12th highest in the league.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:29 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: What? With as many 3 and outs as we had, I'm surprised any of them broke a sweat.

It was all the running off the field to let the punt team on that tired them out.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 03:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LSU Last year:

482 rushing attempts
567 passing attempts

Of course, slanted more to the pass, but I don't expect much change for us this year, from that.

We will throw the ball a lot more than we run.  All NFL teams without Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick do.  But it would certainly make things easier on Burrow if we establish the run game like we did the second half of last year.

When Taylor was going to the Super Bowl with the Rams they ranked higher in rush attempts (8th) and yards (3rd) than they did in pass attempts (14th) and yards (5th).  And it was not just because they were running out the clock in the second half of victories.  They would establish Gurley running the ball to set up their pass game.  They were #1 in the league in percentage off passes of play action.

As much as Burrow loves to put up huge passing numbers I am sure he would gladly take a strong running game to make it even easier for him when he does throw.  

Here is an incredible stat.  The year Boomer Esiason won the MVP and took us to the Super Bowl the Bengals were 27th out of 28 teams in pass attempts and 2nd in rush attempts.  A lot of people think that offense was a bunch of Sam Wyche gimmicks, but it was actually a brutal running team that led the league in rush yards, rush tds, and yards per carry.  And this is not a knock on Boomer.  He played amazing that year.  But even he will admit he benefitted greatly from that run game.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If he can get them to buy into what he is wanting to accomplish, they could also make his career noteworthy for the right reasons..

Its basically make or break I think. This is his hand picked line, if he cant make them into a competent line then he needs to be shit canned. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
More likely we will be running 3 WR (AJ, Boyd, Higgins) with 5 OL, 1 TE and single back as a base set. Because both Sample and Uzomah can block they will probably stay in more to support RT (or LT as the play requires). The question is whether Sample and/opr Uzomah are good at lead blocking also.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2020, 02:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Higgins is the AJ insurance plan. I don’t see this offense going 5 wide as often as we hope. The offensive lines strengths are run blocking at this point in time. Pass pro is highly questionable.

The LSU O-line was not as good in pass pro as run blocking either and as Truck here shows they passed it a lot more than 
they ran it. We need to do the same and pass the ball to the RB more often like Burrow did to Edwards-Helaire. Adapt as 
much as possible to the LSU scheme to make Burrow comfortable.

5 protection to open up the Offense for Burrow using the RB and running the Shotgun most of the time.

Do I wish they put more into the O-line this Offseason? Sure but you cannot do it all in one Offseason and the ideal 
scenario in my mind is Turner being able to coach up the players that are already on the team.

(05-14-2020, 03:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LSU Last year:

482 rushing attempts
567 passing attempts

Do the same, passing to the RB is like an extended handoff anyways.

Just don't pass it 50+ times a game. Burrow should be passing 30-35 times a game this year ideally.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The LSU O-line was not as good in pass pro as run blocking either

Didn't I read in an earlier thread that Burrow had the 2nd or 3rd most time before facing pressure in CFB last year?

I mean LSU had 2 OL get drafted in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th round, and another 2 get signed as UDFA.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote