Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Two different people in the last 24 hours have told me "Clint Boling is done" - JG
(06-29-2019, 05:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So it looks like this was a simple miscommunication.

They said "Bowling is fun"

Who the hell would say that?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 09:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Glenn and Westerman look to be the strength of the line...it's HUGE trouble.

They wouldn't play Westerman when they were desperate.

Westerman had an illness that caused him to lose weight and strength right when they needed him most to compete at RG.  Redmond won the job out of sheer strength and attitude, but he has clear agility and experience issues.  I would imagine Miller will win the job at RG over Redmond, especially since he is out the first four games with suspension, but Redmond can at least provide some depth at the guard position once his suspension is over.

Westerman has to see this as his final shot.  He had bad luck (an illness isn't an injury, but whatever he had it had the same consequences) and the book on him is great absolute strength but a bit behind in terms of knowing the offense.  Well, he better be studying his ass off and, hopefully, the system and the coaches can help as well.  

We know ZT likes big and strong in the middle of the offensive line and Westerman still gives us that at LG.  I think the biggest problem with Glenn is motivation and conditioning.  He is far more talented, but I don't know if he lives and breathes it like Williams.

Redmond was a solid run blocker that struggled in pass protection.  I know his PFF rankings weren't stellar, but the naked eye showed he could move guys in the run game.  Westerman was the other half of this duo that we had high hopes for contributing to the line.  I believe he will show better than Redmond.  At least this go-around he is starting with everyone else as far as learning the offense and should be 100% healthy.  
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2019, 11:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Brown by himself is not bad. IF he were our #2c LB...it would be ok. Not having that #1 guy that can cover really hurts.

Same with Vigil. As a #3, he's ok. As a #1, it's bad.

I feel the same. Neither Brown nor Vigil is a dominant LB. Burfict in his prime was the only one who was. Last year, there was hope Burfict would return to that form. Now he's gone and the Bengals drafted Pratt. I like Pratt a lot but I'm expecting he'll take (at least) a year before he could even potentially become elite.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So, now that it's been nearly a week since Goodberry's tweet, and still not any sort of follow up. No confirmation, no denial, no nothing.

So, are we to simply believe this, or just brush it off as bullshit?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 10:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, now that it's been nearly a week since Goodberry's tweet, and still not any sort of follow up.  No confirmation, no denial, no nothing.

So, are we to simply believe this, or just brush it off as bullshit?

The fact that we signed two free agent OGs has me worried.  

There is no dispute that something is wrong with Boling, and it would not surprise me at all if he never fully recovers.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that we signed two free agent OGs has me worried.  

There is no dispute that something is wrong with Boling, and it would not surprise me at all if he never fully recovers.

If that is indeed the gravity of the situation, I wish the team would just come out and say so.  Unless the team itself is in "wait and see mode", all of this cloak and dagger secrecy just seems a bit much.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
People are funny, Miller was rated higher by PFF at guard last year than Boling and people act like Miller stinks and Boling is some sort of stud. Between Hopkins and Miller we are fine at guard. If Westerman can beat out Hopkins then my point stands we will be fine at guard. I would say the signing of Jerry and stock piling of guards in general may have signaled this for a while now.

Play action has a way of making everyone look better, so I really don't think the line will be as bad as people think. It wasn't bad enough to sink our offense last year when our weapons were healthy and I'd say we are as good if not slightly better.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 11:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that is indeed the gravity of the situation, I wish the team would just come out and say so.  Unless the team itself is in "wait and see mode", all of this cloak and dagger secrecy just seems a bit much.

I am pretty sure Boling denies he is done, and the team is obviously hoping for the best also.  So I can see why they would not come out and say he is finished.

Remember when Carson tore a ligament in his elbow in '08 but tried to come back and play without surgery.  I am sure many people around the Bengals thought he would not be able to do it, but they were not going to come out and say he was finished for the season while he was still trying to play.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 11:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that is indeed the gravity of the situation, I wish the team would just come out and say so.  Unless the team itself is in "wait and see mode", all of this cloak and dagger secrecy just seems a bit much.

until the team says something or these sources are identified as any sort of creditable..  this thread and the original post is all speculation.

Still nothing to worry about as theres nothing WE the fans can do about it.   Boiling hasn't practiced yet.  So the team is probly evaluating... He could start on the PUP or receive a settlement if he truly is done.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am pretty sure Boling denies he is done, and the team is obviously hoping for the best also.  So I can see why they would not come out and say he is finished.

Remember when Carson tore a ligament in his elbow in '08 but tried to come back and play without surgery.  I am sure many people around the Bengals thought he would not be able to do it, but they were not going to come out and say he was finished for the season while he was still trying to play.

I don't think the Bengals ever officially announced he tore an elbow ligament. And if he did tear it and decided to let it heal without surgery then they knew he wasn't going to play again that season which they didn't admit, either.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:07 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't think the Bengals ever officially announced he tore an elbow ligament. And if he did tear it and decided to let it heal without surgery then they knew he wasn't going to play again that season which they didn't admit, either.

He injured it in week 3 against the Giants.  He took off one game and tried to play week 5 against the Cowboys.  Then a week later they announced he was shut down for the year

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3662707

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer is unlikely to play another game in the 2008 season but he will delay a decision on whether to have surgery to repair a "frayed" ligament in his right throwing elbow, sources told ESPN.

Palmer injured the arm in a Sept. 21 game against the New York Giants. He has played only once since -- against the Cowboys on Oct. 5
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He injured it in week 3 against the Giants.  He took off one game and tried to play week 5 against the Cowboys.  Then a week later they announced he was shut down for the year

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3662707

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer is unlikely to play another game in the 2008 season but he will delay a decision on whether to have surgery to repair a "frayed" ligament in his right throwing elbow, sources told ESPN.

Palmer injured the arm in a Sept. 21 game against the New York Giants. He has played only once since -- against the Cowboys on Oct. 5

That's ESPN reporting second hand information from unnamed sources. I'm not sure if that is officially hearsay or not. But, you will concede ESPN reporting what unnamed sources told them isn't the same as the Bengals releasing this information, yes?

Oops, guess we both should have kept reading your source, "Neither the Bengals nor Palmer have a comment about the specifics of the injury and the plan."
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 12:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's ESPN reporting second hand information from unnamed sources. I'm not sure if that is officially hearsay or not.  But, you will concede ESPN reporting what unnamed sources told them isn't the same as the Bengals releasing this information, yes?

Not sure what is going on here.

I was trying to explain why the Bengals would not say that Boling was done, and my example was the Bengals not saying that Palmer was done in '08.

So you are agreeing with me, right?
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2019, 09:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have no quality guards on the roster. I'd say every guy we have at Guard is below average at best.

Price was a bad Center last year.

Hart was a bad Tackle. And Glenn was below average at best.

We could actually have our worst line this year with these injuries. Boling was the strength of our line for several years.

The only way we start out having a bad O-line for the season is IF these guys refuse to buy in to what the new staff is teaching them and I do not feel that will be the case,I feel as if this staff is on board with everything ZT is saying and teaching and that is why he hand-picked every single one of them and I believe this staff will not allow these players to let down and I do believe with this staff and these talented players we are going to be in the hunt every game.I am excited about this upcoming season and remember ,we have a brand new coaching staff,I mean out of 28 on staff,only about 3-4 are holdovers.I am jacked for our MIGHTY BENGALS THIS SEASON. Yes,I cry and complain about everything,expecially Jonah Williams going down,which is just total insanity,but lets see how this works out.I so wish the season started tomorrow, been a long summer without football.Our division is going to be total smash-mouth all season.The steelers are no longer the top dog,they will always be a tough out,but the browns and ravens and our BENGALS are going to give them all they want. :andy: ThumbsUp  I believe we will win against them at our place.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 01:42 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: The only way we start out having a bad O-line for the season is IF these guys refuse to buy in to what the new staff is teaching them and I do not feel that will be the case,I feel as if this staff is on board with everything ZT is saying and teaching and that is why he hand-picked every single one of them and I believe this staff will not allow these players to let down and I do believe with this staff and these talented players we are going to be in the hunt every game.I am excited about this upcoming season and remember ,we have a brand new coaching staff,I mean out of 28 on staff,only about 3-4 are holdovers.I am jacked for our MIGHTY BENGALS THIS SEASON. Yes,I cry and complain about everything,expecially Jonah Williams going down,which is just total insanity,but lets see how this works out.I so wish the season started tomorrow, been a long summer without football.Our division is going to be total smash-mouth all season.The steelers are no longer the top dog,they will always be a tough out,but the browns and ravens and our BENGALS are going to give them all they want. :andy: ThumbsUp  I believe we will win against them at our place.

To translate that is means all gloom and doom, eh? Anyone can see through all that optimism to see the pessimism behind it..  Wink
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what is going on here.

I was trying to explain why the Bengals would not say that Boling was done, and my example was the Bengals not saying that Dalton was done in '08.

Dalton wasn't a Bengal in 2008
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 02:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dalton wasn't a Bengal in 2008

Read the prior posts.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what is going on here.

I was trying to explain why the Bengals would not say that Boling was done, and my example was the Bengals not saying that Palmer was done in '08.

I asked if the team ever indicated the extent of Carson's injury and your source indicated they didn't.

If ESPN's sources' were accurate that doesn't explain the Bengals' secrecy once they knew the the extent of the diagnosis and the prognosis.

The same applies to Boling. If the fans and other teams knew Boling's diagnosis and prognosis today how would that negatively affect the Bengals? He's still under contract, the Bengals have stocked up OGs, and opening day is two months away, right? If he's able to play they're going to go with what the got. If he isn't able to play, they're gonna go with what they got. They're not giving away any competitive advantage by letting the fans know what is going on.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 01:42 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: The only way we start out having a bad O-line for the season is IF these guys refuse to buy in to what the new staff is teaching them and I do not feel that will be the case,I feel as if this staff is on board with everything ZT is saying and teaching and that is why he hand-picked every single one of them and I believe this staff will not allow these players to let down and I do believe with this staff and these talented players we are going to be in the hunt every game.I am excited about this upcoming season and remember ,we have a brand new coaching staff,I mean out of 28 on staff,only about 3-4 are holdovers.I am jacked for our MIGHTY BENGALS THIS SEASON. Yes,I cry and complain about everything,expecially Jonah Williams going down,which is just total insanity,but lets see how this works out.I so wish the season started tomorrow, been a long summer without football.Our division is going to be total smash-mouth all season.The steelers are no longer the top dog,they will always be a tough out,but the browns and ravens and our BENGALS are going to give them all they want. :andy: ThumbsUp  I believe we will win against them at our place.

Taylor was the Rams QB Coach last year and their Assistant WR Coach the year before. It's not like he was the architect behind the Rams.

We have a bad line. People act like coaches can make terrible players good.

There's news out there that Ross struggled in OTA's too.
Reply/Quote

Having a bad offensive line and LB group is the exact opposite of what you need to win in the NFL.
Reply/Quote