Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd ??
(05-12-2017, 10:21 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think a lot of fans missed out on a pretty great rookie season during a shitty year. With a year of experience, Boyd will be improved mentally and physically. Faster, stronger, smarter.

1:42

https://youtu.be/MTBUEB1Avgg

Jalen Mills, the guy Boyd beat at 1:42, was taken in the 7th round with the 233rd pick last year and ran 4.62 at the combine.  In other words, he's a scrub.  

The year probably wouldn't have been so shitty if we could have gotten more than one TD out of our #3 WR.  We had a tie and 5 losses by 5 points or less.  A few more TD's from the #3 WR would have likely resulted in a few more W's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1. If the coaches thought Boyd was fast and had great potential as an outside WR, we would not have drafted Ross.
2. The Housh comparison's and 100 catch predictions are a bit much. People are starting to overrate him the way they did with MLJ and Sanu.
3. We panicked when all the WRs flew off the board last year and took Boyd out of necessity, but it's clear he's not the guy the coaches want to be starting.

I see Boyd as a Sanu/LaFell replacement. Which will make him the #3 WR and primarily a slot guy by default. It's clear AJ and Ross will be starting (sooner than later), so who do people think will man the slot? This doesn't mean Boyd can't play outside in a pinch, but I don't think he's ideal there, hence the drafting of Ross.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 08:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jordan Shipley? That's a terrible comparison. 

I always thought Jordan Shipley was more like Wes Welker.

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 12:50 AM)Whatever Wrote: Jalen Mills, the guy Boyd beat at 1:42, was taken in the 7th round with the 233rd pick last year and ran 4.62 at the combine.  In other words, he's a scrub.  

The year probably wouldn't have been so shitty if we could have gotten more than one TD out of our #3 WR.  We had a tie and 5 losses by 5 points or less.  A few more TD's from the #3 WR would have likely resulted in a few more W's.

Eh, a halfway competent kicker would have made a bigger difference IMO 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 12:50 AM)Whatever Wrote: The year probably wouldn't have been so shitty if we could have gotten more than one TD out of our #3 WR.  We had a tie and 5 losses by 5 points or less.  A few more TD's from the #3 WR would have likely resulted in a few more W's.

Couldn't this same exact argument be made about every single player on our offense?

Don't see how you can blame every problem with the offense on a #3WR who did not play that badly at all.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 07:48 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Lots of people tend to forget that coming out of college that Tyler Boyd had one of the best route trees out there. He worked outside and inside.

Here's some facts on Boyd.

Spent 318 of his 589 snaps at outside wide receiver, and 223 in the slot

Dropped just 10 of the 182 catchable passes thrown his way between 2014 and 2015
What he does best:

• Diverse route runner who has success on the majority of routes ran in 2015. Had at least one reception on 13 different routes, with no more than 191 of his receiving yards coming on a single route type
• Despite this, the post was his best route, catching all nine catchable passes thrown his way on posts for 191 yards and two touchdowns
• Smart route runner with good footwork, something that helped him make the reception on 93 percent of the passes thrown his way on hitch routes

The benefit is we can line him up anywhere and he can get open. We saw quite a few times last year where Boyd was open and Dalton would either miss him or just didn't see him.

I think having Green, Boyd, Ross, and Eifert on the field at once can cause great mismatches.

Yep.  He's not gonna go away.  I see him just getting better.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I thought Tyler Boyd had a solid rookie outIng. I thought he did a fine job finding soft spots in the defense
What he brings is consistant hands and he had nice field awareness.
No hes a not a burner by any means hence the drafting of Ross and Malone
But every offense needs a WR that can get 6 yards on 3rd and 5.
Ive seen WR drafted by the Bengals in RD 1 who were worse than him i.e Warrick and Verser
I'd like to see his downfield blocking improve which will really help the running game out
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 10:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Couldn't this same exact argument be made about every single player on our offense?

Don't see how you can blame every problem with the offense on a #3WR who did not play that badly at all.

There's plenty of blame to go around for last year. It's not all on Boyd.  However, when someone makes the argument that Boyd had a great year in shitty year for the team, I think it's fair to point out that if Boyd had scored more than one TD, we might have won a couple more games.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 03:10 PM)Whatever Wrote:  I think it's fair to point out that if Boyd had scored more than one TD, we might have won a couple more games.

And you could say the same thing abiout every player on the team.

if any other player had scored more tds then we might have won more games.

So you can say it, but it is meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 08:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you could say the same thing abiout every player on the team.

if any other player had scored more tds then we might have won more games.

So you can say it, but it is meaningless.

How many of those players were targeted 81+ times and only produced 1 TD though?

Again, the lack of RZ production was probably why we targeted a WR that is so proficient in that area.

Pointing out a weakness is not meaningless just because you say so.
Reply/Quote
Can anyone tell me what Tyler Boyd does especially or uniquely well?

I think he's a solid guy and will be a reliable contributor, but I don't see a game breaker/changer in any capacity.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 03:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Can anyone tell me what Tyler Boyd does especially or uniquely well?

Getting open and catching the ball.

His 54 receptions by a #3 WR were much better than most other #3WRs in the league.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 02:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Again, the lack of RZ production was probably why we targeted a WR that is so proficient in that area.

If it was all about RZ effiency then we could be looking to replace either Boyd or AJ Green.

Both were targeted 9 times in the red zone.  Boyd had 1 td and Green 2.  So not a lot of difference between them.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 03:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Can anyone tell me what Tyler Boyd does especially or uniquely well?

I think he's a solid guy and will be a reliable contributor, but I don't see a game breaker/changer in any capacity.
It's pretty hard to have an offense with nothing but game breakers.  You still need the reliable, get you eight on third and seven guys too.  He did that pretty well.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 09:56 PM)McC Wrote: It's pretty hard to have an offense with nothing but game breakers.  You still need the reliable, get you eight on third and seven guys too.  He did that pretty well.

Agreed. I feel he will impress when called upon.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 02:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many of those players were targeted 81+ times and only produced 1 TD though?

Again, the lack of RZ production was probably why we targeted a WR that is so proficient in that area.

Pointing out a weakness is not meaningless just because you say so.

Andy Dalton threw the fewest red zone touchdowns in the NFL last year.

13. Aaron Rodgers threw 31 and was tops.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 06:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Getting open and catching the ball.

His 54 receptions by a #3 WR were much better than most other #3WRs in the league.

I think the #3 designation is misleading because Green and Eifert missed so much time.

I think that Tyler Boyd is a great talent and will be a valuable contributor on the team. He certainly picked it up in Green's absence. I don't see him as a game breaker, but I think he is the possession rype receiver the Bengals have been missing since TJ.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 01:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I always thought Jordan Shipley was more like Wes Welker.

It's because he's black, isn't it?

Errr, i mean, white. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
To me, Boyd is one of those football players Bill B. seems to always find. He is not a #1, but he is #2 or #3 that will have a solid NFL career. He is also a very good blocker and some fans ignore the fact we run the ball close to 50% of the time and when we run, everyone needs to be good blockers.

I like Boyd and think he will continue to progress in the mold of Sanu, but a little faster and better route runner than Sanu.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it was all about RZ effiency then we could be looking to replace either Boyd or AJ Green.

Both were targeted 9 times in the red zone.  Boyd had 1 td and Green 2.  So not a lot of difference between them.

Green had 7 catches for 2 TD's and 5 1st downs on those targets.  So, every time he caught the ball in the red zone, he either scored or extended the drive.  He also doubled Boyd's TD output.

Boyd had 5 catches, 1TD, and 2 1st downs.  Those are terrible numbers.  His lack of red zone production and inability to step up his production significantly after AJ went down are strong indicators of a guy who was reliant on the deep outside threat of Green, and to a lesser extent LaFell, to open up space for him to work because he couldn't create space for himself consistently.  He deserves credit for finding soft spots in zones and making catches, but that's the definition of a possession WR.
Reply/Quote