Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd ??
(05-11-2017, 04:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: Boyd can easily be a high end #2 not sure why everyone pigeon holes him to slot. It is almost like unless your really tall or really fast on this forum your a slot WR.

He has great hands in traffic and good footwork and is quick I would say..  Fits great in the slot  or what I consider a slot WR...

John R would also make some good plays from the slot going across field getting separation that way.

AJ green also plays the slot to create mismatches.

(they will all probly play all positions over the course of the season)  

The reason I say Slot 

Is you Figure AJ green and Lafell are starting outside.   Ross & Boyd will probly rotate in with Lafell  outside

And Ross and Boyd will probly rotate in the slot when we have that many WRs.

If we do as many are expecting and spread out the field with more 4 receiver looks   it really doesn't matter where they line up as the routes will take them all over the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has great hands in traffic and good footwork and is quick I would say..  Fits great in the slot  or what I consider a slot WR...

...Or a possession WR which is normally what people look for in their #2. Like I said people can have their reasons, but coming out he was projected as a low end #1 high end #2 type of WR. Someone who couldn't really carry a WR core but could be a #1 in a bind. I think lack of blazing speed or elite height/jumping people make him out to be nothing more than a slot guy. It was just one of my pet peeves during the draft season.
Reply/Quote
I really like how the WR core is shaping up... Not bad at all!

WHO DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 03:59 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: In this era:

AJ Green will be our Chad Johnson
Tyler Boyd our TJ Houshmandzadeh
John Ross our Chris Henry

Except AJ would compare more favorably to Henry and Ross to Chad and none of these players are really all that similar
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:39 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Except AJ would compare more favorably to Henry and Ross to Chad and none of these players are really all that similar

Actually, I was wondering how AJ would mix in with Chad and TJ. But I think AJ is a better overall WR than Henry. Ross is faster than Chad and he could be quicker. I don't know if he'll be as good of a WR. Chad had more range and probably better hands. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:47 PM)Shady Wrote: Actually, I was wondering how AJ would mix in with Chad and TJ. But I think AJ is a better overall WR than Henry. Ross is faster than Chad and he could be quicker. I don't know if he'll be as good of a WR. Chad had more range and probably better hands. 

He would be the best of those three easily.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Lots of people tend to forget that coming out of college that Tyler Boyd had one of the best route trees out there. He worked outside and inside.

Here's some facts on Boyd.

Spent 318 of his 589 snaps at outside wide receiver, and 223 in the slot

Dropped just 10 of the 182 catchable passes thrown his way between 2014 and 2015
What he does best:

• Diverse route runner who has success on the majority of routes ran in 2015. Had at least one reception on 13 different routes, with no more than 191 of his receiving yards coming on a single route type
• Despite this, the post was his best route, catching all nine catchable passes thrown his way on posts for 191 yards and two touchdowns
• Smart route runner with good footwork, something that helped him make the reception on 93 percent of the passes thrown his way on hitch routes

The benefit is we can line him up anywhere and he can get open. We saw quite a few times last year where Boyd was open and Dalton would either miss him or just didn't see him.

I think having Green, Boyd, Ross, and Eifert on the field at once can cause great mismatches.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He has great hands in traffic and good footwork and is quick I would say..  Fits great in the slot  or what I consider a slot WR...

John R would also make some good plays from the slot going across field getting separation that way.

AJ green also plays the slot to create mismatches.

(they will all probly play all positions over the course of the season)  

The reason I say Slot 

Is you Figure AJ green and Lafell are starting outside.   Ross & Boyd will probly rotate in with Lafell  outside

And Ross and Boyd will probly rotate in the slot when we have that many WRs.

If we do as many are expecting and spread out the field with more 4 receiver looks   it really doesn't matter where they line up as the routes will take them all over the field.

Yea with Boyd's developent and the instant impact of Ross they'll have 4 starter grade WRs.  I agree with how they'd likely he subbed but bottom line is they'll be fresh and able to sustain an injury.  I can't see anyone's development affected as I'd assume we will see many more 3 and 4 wide looks.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 03:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think Boyd will play a key part in the offense this year. He showed a lot of promise last year when given the chance to play.

This.  He disappeared for stretches of the season last year, but I think his large catch radius and hands will make him become a reliable underneath target.  As far as where he will play, I think they will leave him in the slot.  He may rotate out if the TE group is healthy this year and we see more two TE sets.

Speaking of two TE sets....can you imagine a healthy Eifert and Uzomah on the field with Ross and AJ?  Wow.  

I think Lafell can spell Ross on occasion outside, but I wonder if he won't rotate more with Boyd in the slot to provide some outside opportunity for Core and Malone.  

One thing is for sure:  there is quality depth at the WR position now, and I feel confident that they have a good number of guys that are capable of getting separation.  
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 03:59 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: In this era:

AJ Green will be our Chad Johnson
Tyler Boyd our TJ Houshmandzadeh
John Ross our Chris Henry

Exactly.  This is what I have been saying for years.  Ross will be the straw that stirs the drink.  We have needed a vertical threat to make it all work ever since Henry.  Marvin Jones was a pretty solid threat in that role, and Sanu was pretty good in the slot...that is why Andy was on his way to having his best season in 2015.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 06:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  This is what I have been saying for years.  Ross will be the straw that stirs the drink.  We have needed a vertical threat to make it all work ever since Henry.  Marvin Jones was a pretty solid threat in that role, and Sanu was pretty good in the slot...that is why Andy was on his way to having his best season in 2015.  

Just to add one thing.
A Healthy Tyler Eifert can take it to another level beyond what it was during the Chad, Housh and Henry era.
Now Ross, AJ, Boyd plus Tyler Eifert could make this extra special.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 11:53 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yea with Boyd's developent and the instant impact of Ross they'll have 4 starter grade WRs.  I agree with how they'd likely he subbed but bottom line is they'll be fresh and able to sustain an injury.  I can't see anyone's development affected as I'd assume we will see many more 3 and 4 wide looks.

Malone might be the guy that doesn't get much playing time this year at least on offense.  could be active for special teams
Reply/Quote
Dunno why the automatic assumption Boyd is a slot receiver. He played well outside and his speed is good. It's not the guy was a 6'7" TE in college and we just took him to toss into redzone plays.

I don't expect to see Ross much during the first half of the season, it's mostly going to be some rotation of AJ, Boyd and LaFell during the first several games. If he's medically able, Ross will rotate in. I think long-term the idea is to have multiple receivers they can move around from play to play based on what defenses are giving them.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 07:48 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Lots of people tend to forget that coming out of college that Tyler Boyd had one of the best route trees out there. He worked outside and inside.

Here's some facts on Boyd.

Spent 318 of his 589 snaps at outside wide receiver, and 223 in the slot

Dropped just 10 of the 182 catchable passes thrown his way between 2014 and 2015
What he does best:

• Diverse route runner who has success on the majority of routes ran in 2015. Had at least one reception on 13 different routes, with no more than 191 of his receiving yards coming on a single route type
• Despite this, the post was his best route, catching all nine catchable passes thrown his way on posts for 191 yards and two touchdowns
• Smart route runner with good footwork, something that helped him make the reception on 93 percent of the passes thrown his way on hitch routes

The benefit is we can line him up anywhere and he can get open. We saw quite a few times last year where Boyd was open and Dalton would either miss him or just didn't see him.

I think having Green, Boyd, Ross, and Eifert on the field at once can cause great mismatches.

To be fair, lots of guys who played outside in college had to move to the slot against superior NFL talent.  I don't personally see him as an ideal slot WR because you're hoping guys in that spot can make some people miss and get you some YAC and Boyd had an anemic 3.9 YAC/catch last year.  He's basically a decent possession receiver, and LaFell has a lot of the same traits, but is a better vertical threat.

The other big concern is that Boyd's appeal coming out of college was the fact that he was pretty polished, and he was seen as a high floor/low ceiling guy.  Because of that, I don't think we're going to see this big jump in his play in year 2 that would be typical of a WR.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Stop saying Boyd is slow:

"Boyd had a disappointing 4.58 time at the Combine in the 40-yard dash a few weeks ago. On Wednesday, he cut that time a little bit, running between a 4.47 and 4.52 for the scouts that were present. Sam Werner says that, unofficially, he had a 4.45."

Running that at ~6'2" 200lbs is pleeeeenty fast enough to be a starting WR in the NFL.

Still doesn't mean Boyd is a burner like Ross or Core who are great at getting seperation and beating Secondarys deep.

Nearly every CB in the NFL runs a 4.45 or faster. They can stick with Boyd.

Ross? No one can.

Edit: And this is no slight on Boyd, as i said the guy runs great routes and has great hands. Love the guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...Or a possession WR which is normally what people look for in their #2. Like I said people can have their reasons, but coming out he was projected as a low end #1 high end #2 type of WR. Someone who couldn't really carry a WR core but could be a #1 in a bind. I think lack of blazing speed or elite height/jumping people make him out to be nothing more than a slot guy. It was just one of my pet peeves during the draft season.

Housh did pretty well as a possession receiver at WR2 while in Cincy.

It's worth mentioning that everyone talks about how we need a WR that can hit 900+ yards opposite of AJ, but that's going to be incredibly hard to do unless you take targets away from Eifert and the RBs. Carson was able to have two 900+ yard receivers because there was never a good receiving TE, the RBs were never as prolific of pass catchers as the Bengals have now, and the WR3 never put up more than around 600 yards.

As long as Dalton can put up over 4000 passing yards and 30 TDs, I don't care who gets the yards or how it's distributed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 01:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Housh did pretty well as a possession receiver at WR2 while in Cincy.

It's worth mentioning that everyone talks about how we need a WR that can hit 900+ yards opposite of AJ, but that's going to be incredibly hard to do unless you take targets away from Eifert and the RBs. Carson was able to have two 900+ yard receivers because there was never a good receiving TE, the RBs were never as prolific of pass catchers as the Bengals have now, and the WR3 never put up more than around 600 yards.

As long as Dalton can put up over 4000 passing yards and 30 TDs, I don't care who gets the yards or how it's distributed.

I doubt the Receivers would care either. Got some classy guys here. AJ Green, Lafell, Boyd, Ross are all selfless.

I swear if the O-line can hold up this is one hell of an Offense to even try to slow down.

And i am still mostly excited for the Defense with the additions of Minter, Billings, Willis, Lawson, WJ3 etc.

Marv has probably the best team he has ever had, too bad i have no confidence in him outcoaching in a Playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 01:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt the Receivers would care either. Got some classy guys here. AJ Green, Lafell, Boyd, Ross are all selfless.

I swear if the O-line can hold up this is one hell of an Offense to even try to slow down.

And i am still mostly excited for the Defense with the additions of Minter, Billings, Willis, Lawson, WJ3 etc.

Marv has probably the best team he has ever had, too bad i have no confidence in him outcoaching in a Playoff game.

Hobson outlined it in his latest post on bengals.com...
Quote:Sure. The line is the big question. If the new tackles protect quarterback Andy Dalton, they’ll go to the playoffs. If they don’t, they won’t. As simple as that. When you give up 41 sacks and then lose two of your best linemen in left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Kevin Zeitler, sure. It makes for an uneasy offseason.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-riding-the-draft/2a6d253d-4a3d-426e-9d73-0ea2d502fa45

If the OL pans out, this team could be special.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson outlined it in his latest post on bengals.com...
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-riding-the-draft/2a6d253d-4a3d-426e-9d73-0ea2d502fa45

Big "if", yet so true.

WR should not be Bengals problem though. Exciting group !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson outlined it in his latest post on bengals.com...

He actually nailed it and i cannot stand Hobspin. But he is right on here.

Thanks for that Ocho. :andy:
Reply/Quote