Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time to make the move official
(12-15-2018, 08:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think our draft will come down to Tackle or QB where we pick.

It will either be Risner, Lock, or Haskins.

You know that the Bengals LOVE OSU guys...so I'm sure Haskins will be tempting.
Really?!?

I don't see that at all.

Price is the highest round pick to come from that college in a long time.

For the most part they seem to ignore the school.

Unless you're talking some UDFA or lower round picks.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:09 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: All the good ones should be gone by the draft lets re-visit this right before the draft because I do not see us getting a good one in FA.

If the Management continues their old ways of doing business, then no, they likely won't get anyone good in free agency.  However, with the team able to free itself from the Cordy Glenn deal without any dead money attached, I think it's fair to expect them to take a good look at reinvesting that money in a different player(s).

I think that it's also logical to assume that after putting in a season of work here, Coach Pollack will have a voice in what personnel he wants to build his OL out of.  With Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Hart's contracts all about to expire, you can believe that there will be some players brought in via free agency.  They simply won't be able to draft everyone that they need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:17 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Most of the other guys are 30 or older that guy might be the top RT in FA I know you don't expect us to land the top guy the way we do FA. 

I'm not scared of the Bengals signing a 30 year old OT to a 3 year deal.  It's not uncommon at all for OL to play well into their mid 30's.  And honestly, bringing in some experience with a proven track record of consistency, can go a long way toward getting past the errors of drafting Ogbuehi and Fisher.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Management continues their old ways of doing business, then no, they likely won't get anyone good in free agency.  However, with the team able to free itself from the Cordy Glenn deal without any dead money attached, I think it's fair to expect them to take a good look at reinvesting that money in a different player(s).

I think that it's also logical to assume that after putting in a season of work here, Coach Pollack will have a voice in what personnel he wants to build his OL out of.  With Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Hart's contracts all about to expire, you can believe that there will be some players brought in via free agency.  They simply won't be able to draft everyone that they need.

All three of those players are terrible.  Fisher could be considered sub-par I guess but has health issues.

Yes they'll have to find replacements for those, but damn, how can even lower tiered FAs be worse?

I agree the Cordy Glenn money could be used if they cut him to pursue other FAs of value.

But so could cutting MJ and some other overpaid guys on defense.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 11:30 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: All three of those players are terrible.  Fisher could be considered sub-par I guess but has health issues.

Yes they'll have to find replacements for those, but damn, how can even lower tiered FAs be worse?

I agree the Cordy Glenn money could be used if they cut him to pursue other FAs of value.

But so could cutting MJ and some other overpaid guys on defense.

MJ also becomes an UFA, in a few weeks.  I don't expect him to get a significant offer from the Bengals, maybe a veteran minimum offer, after he tests the market.  I'm actually pretty excited about Lawson and Hubbard being the future, though it was most unfortunate about Lawson's injury this year.  I don't see the Bengals going after that position much in free agency, likely a mid-round draft pick for depth.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not only do I agree but I wonder why we don't have a general plan in place to use the Guard position to develop tackles. Basically if you lose a tackle you move a Guard out to the spot and draft more guards.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2018, 10:38 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: How is this any different then last year? Draft a high Rookie at RG and RT I am all for but I don't see us getting an upgrade from FA.

P.S. I don't see Boling as an answer at LT just a bandaid at best.

There aren't a lot of great options for OL in upcoming FA.
I think it makes the most sense to get a RG high in the draft if the Bengals do not want to try Glenn, Westerman, or Price at RG.
I think a combo of Glenn and Andre Smith would be a sufficient stopgap at RT while a mid-round OT is groomed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 07:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Corey Glenn’s 2019 salary cap value is 19th highest for LTs, not 6th.
https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/2019/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this up with there are also three RTs with higher 2019 cap hit than Glenn's $9.25 mill (Lane Johnson, Ricky Wagner, Andrus Peat), which would put him as the 22nd highest paid OT in the league for 2019.

In terms of OG cap ranks, there would be eight RGs and three LGs (11 OGs total) higher than what Glenn is set to make in 2019.

So Glenn would not be in the Top 10 in cap hit for OTs or OGs. So it would be wise for the Bengals to find a way to repurpose him elsewhere before letting him go.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote