Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Tyler Boyd
(02-14-2022, 12:30 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I mentioned this last week sometime with a couple posters in agreement...

Boyd is way over paid at WR3.   $10.1M this coming season and $10.3M next. Trade for value now or let go and spend, spend, spend on Oline.

We dont need a superstar slot with Chase, Higgins and Joe.  Especially one not producing at a high level.

Dropping an 8yd pass on a crucial 3rd down in the SB simply adds to my suggestion a week ago.

I know it was his only drop, but he hasnt carried us anymore than a solid RG would have this season. Lets not make the same mistake 2 more years.  Pull a Belicheck and move on from high dollar guys that dont produce to their pay level.

I know many will disagree, but keep in mind, this was my suggestion a week ago.

While I won't blame him for the one drop, nor do I think he is a poor value, I WOULD offer him and our first round pick to the Colts for Quentin Nelson.  The Colts have lots of needs and have no first round pick.  The contract that goes with Boyd makes signing Nelson that much more affordable. 

There are so few trades like this, but I would call them...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-11-2022, 09:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I won't blame him for the one drop, nor do I think he is a poor value, I WOULD offer him and our first round pick to the Colts for Quentin Nelson.  The Colts have lots of needs and have no first round pick.  The contract that goes with Boyd makes signing Nelson that much more affordable. 

There are so few trades like this, but I would call them...

That would be a great, hell tremendous, trade for us but the Colts would laugh at us. Irsay loves him and for good reason, it would take much, much more.  This guy is so good and still very young.

I wonder how many would change their minds on this?

8 pages of people telling me I am an idiot. Boyd was super valuable after the SB, 2 contract years left at 10M.

We could have possibly gotten as high as 2nd with the lackluster WR draft that off season. I could still have been wrong, but Boyd has not been great. IMO.

The SB drop was mentioned a lot in this thread but turns out Boyd's worst play was running the wrong route in the redzone that forced a sack and FG instead of a TD after Awuzie's interception.

Boyd has been a solid contributor throughout his career for the Bengals on and off the field... Will be supporting him this Sunday if he plays , class act and a solid career with the Bengals. He was a 3rd down machine during his career. Even last year with just 59 catches, 70% of those catches were for first downs which was higher than Chase or Higgins.
(01-01-2024, 05:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Boyd has been a solid contributor throughout his career for the Bengals on and off the field... Will be supporting him this Sunday if he plays , class act and a solid career with the Bengals. He was a 3rd down machine during his career.  Even last year with just 59 catches, 70% of those catches were for first downs which was higher than Chase or Higgins.

Boyd's production was secondary based upon the premise that we could use his value to upgrade the oline.  We had Hopkins, Adeniji and Prince at the time.

Boyd's 2022 and 2023 seasons were lackluster, he has basically disappeared this season.  But our fans either way over our players our way undervalue them.

This would be year 3 for whoever we obtained for him.  Of course Duke and crew are awful at drafting oline so who knows? 

(01-01-2024, 05:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Boyd's production was secondary based upon the premise that we could use his value to upgrade the oline.  We had Hopkins, Adeniji and Prince at the time.

Boyd's 2022 and 2023 seasons were lackluster, he has basically disappeared this season.  But our fans either way over our players our way undervalue them.

This would be year 3 for whoever we obtained for him.  Of course Duke and crew are awful at drafting oline so who knows? 

His stats as a 3rd WR in 2021 and 2022 put him in top 40s in yards and tds put him in top 25 to 30. If Boyd has diappeared this season what has Higgins done while on the field.. being the WR 2.

When we signed him in 2019 was a no brainer.. i understand the thought of trading him especially last season but if we are going to look at his low stats this year, Higgins does not get a pass either for his lack of stats while on the field... and with your thinking hopefully we don;t make the mistake to sign Tee to a big contract, need to let him go and gain with draft picks and safe $$ and learn from Boyd contract then.. correct ?
(01-01-2024, 05:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: His stats as a 3rd WR in 2021 and 2022 put him in top 40s in yards and  tds put  him in top 25 to 30.  If Boyd has diappeared this season what has Higgins done while on the field.. being the WR 2.

When we signed him in 2019 was a no brainer.. i understand the thought of trading him especially last season but if we are going to look at his low stats this year, Higgins does not get a pass either for his lack of stats while on the field... and with your thinking hopefully we don;t make the mistake to sign Tee to a big contract, need to let him go and gain with draft picks and safe $$ and learn from Boyd contract then.. correct ?

Not sure what Tee has to do with this convo?  I agree he hasnt been good either..

Again, the point of this topic was to acquire a high level olineman in 2022 and a high draft pick from trading Boyd and his salary.

We have squandered the supposedly best WR trio in the league, and the #1 culprit has been bad oline play. 

Burrow should not need 3 great WRs if he has solid protection.  Mahomes has zero WRs and an aging TE.

Burrow and Chase with ok WR2 & 3 with a strong oline should be plenty.

(01-01-2024, 06:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure what Tee has to do with this convo?  I agree he hasnt been good either..

Again, the point of this topic was to acquire a high level olineman in 2022 and a high draft pick from trading Boyd and his salary.

We have squandered the supposedly best WR trio in the league, and the #1 culprit has been bad oline play. 

Burrow should not need 3 great WRs if he has solid protection.  Mahomes has zero WRs and an aging TE.

Burrow and Chase with ok WR2 & 3 with a strong oline should be plenty.

Well i put in Higgins with your thinking from your view we were better off trading Boyd and we did not so have to do it with Higgins then.

Though I would argue with your statement we have not tried to upgrade at the line. We have spent a good amount of capital (signed 4 starting FA oline past two years), drafted Williams with 11th pick in 2019,2021 2nd with Carmen and 2022 4th with Volson. Probably every FA regressed playing with us and our draft picks have not worked out.. the most important change we probably need to make is replacing Pollack and putting Duke on the hot seat with drafting Oline.
Writings been on the wall with Boyd after the team drafted Charlie Jones.

Need more speed and explosiveness and someone who can get open more in the slot.

For the life of my idk why Jones isn't getting snaps. He should play every down versus Cleveland. We need to find out if he can contribute or not.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(01-01-2024, 07:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Writings been on the wall with Boyd after the team drafted Charlie Jones.

Need more speed and explosiveness and someone who can get open more in the slot.

For the life of my idk why Jones isn't getting snaps. He should play every down versus Cleveland. We need to find out if he can contribute or not.

Well we obviously are not the coaches and have their insight and i would just say they sure moved on from Smith at TE with Hudson so have to assume he just was not seen as ready to replace Boyd in the role he played , him slowing down on a potential TD did not help his playing time also. Jury still out on him for sure, next year will be a key year to see if he can fill the 3rd WR slot. As for Cleveland, im sure he will play Chase, Higgins and maybe Boyd will not be playing
(01-01-2024, 05:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Boyd has been a solid contributor throughout his career for the Bengals on and off the field... Will be supporting him this Sunday if he plays , class act and a solid career with the Bengals. He was a 3rd down machine during his career. Even last year with just 59 catches, 70% of those catches were for first downs which was higher than Chase or Higgins.

[Image: leonardo-dicaprio-leo-dicaprio.gif]

(01-01-2024, 06:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well i put in Higgins with your thinking from your view we were better off trading Boyd and we did not so have to do it with Higgins then.  

Though I would argue with your statement we have not tried to upgrade at the line. We have spent a good amount of capital (signed 4 starting  FA oline past two years), drafted Williams with 11th pick in 2019,2021  2nd with Carmen and 2022 4th with Volson.  Probably every FA regressed playing with us and our draft picks have not worked out.. the most important change we probably need to make is replacing Pollack and putting Duke on the hot seat with drafting Oline.

You kind of make up things for some reason. 

"I would argue with your statement we have not tried to upgrade at the line."  My comments were made immediately after the Super Bowl, so the 4 free agents signed afterwards mean nothing, odd to even suggest this after the fact.

(01-01-2024, 07:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: leonardo-dicaprio-leo-dicaprio.gif]

Right....?

I will just say I agree with Weezy a bit and would like to see more of Chuck Sizzle in the last game against the Stains. Mellow
10M is inflated by 1.2M prorated signing bonus which IMO Boyd earned. He's played 66 of 68 games in the last 4 yrs. He is not slowing down; he ran a 4.6 out of Pitt. He is a big-bodied large-catching-radius receiver who has been one of the most dependable targets in the passing game. Right now he's the only WR not on his first contract.
And he could play WR2 if the Bengal had someone else to play slot.

My guess is that he gets 9-11 per year somewhere else, but maybe the Bengals don't want to lose two starters from the WR room; Losing 2 starters at once went so well for them in 2023.
(01-01-2024, 09:47 PM)puddycat Wrote: 10M is inflated by 1.2M prorated signing bonus which IMO Boyd earned.  He's played 66 of 68 games in the last 4 yrs.  He is not slowing down; he ran a 4.6 out of Pitt.  He is a big-bodied large-catching-radius receiver who has been one of the most dependable targets in the passing game.  Right now he's the only WR not on his first contract.

My guess is that he gets 9-11 per year somewhere else, but maybe the Bengals don't want to lose two starters from the WR room; Losing 2 starters at once went so well for them in 2023.

I still like Boyd and would not be against us bringing him back at a reasonable cost.
(01-01-2024, 09:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still like Boyd and would not be against us bringing him back at a reasonable cost.

It’s time to move on.

(01-01-2024, 09:47 PM)puddycat Wrote: 10M is inflated by 1.2M prorated signing bonus which IMO Boyd earned.  He's played 66 of 68 games in the last 4 yrs.  He is not slowing down; he ran a 4.6 out of Pitt.  He is a big-bodied large-catching-radius receiver who has been one of the most dependable targets in the passing game.  Right now he's the only WR not on his first contract.

This was always about using Boyd's value 2 years ago to obtain a high end olineman and a potential 2nd round pick.  I still think we would have been better off with those 2 than Boyd last year & this season.

2 of my favorite players for years really took some steps back this year.

Boyd and Awuzie

Sad to see them go, especially Boyd, but if that’s what we need to do to spend loot on a real D - then go for it.

Get us an even middle of the road D and we’d be in the playoffs and that’s with Jake Browning too.

This D is embarrassingly disturbingly awful.
This is insane

Not the trade for value idea, but the idea that Iv seen a few times that Boyd isn’t good or doesn’t move the needle

If you guys think Boyd isn’t good then i hope you are ready for him to leave because we are about to learn just all that Boyd did.

Willing to go over the middle and die for a catch, great hands, DECEPTIVE speed, great feet, TEAM PLAYER, and just a nice guy.

We are gonna miss Boyd if he leaves. The only excuse i can think of to let him go is if you convinced yourself we needed a speedier guy in the slot
-Housh