Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Tyler Eifert
On the subject of Mike Mitchell: I don't know if I've ever seen a more intentional, meant to injure, helmet-to-helmet spearing than the vicious Mitchell hit.

Eifert was going down, the play was over, and he targeted an almost prone, defenseless receiver. Yeah, they threw a flag, and later fined him, but he should have also been ejected. He went way out of his way to make that dirty hit. That is exactly the kind of play that needs to be eliminated from the NFL.

Look what it's done to Eifert and the Bengals. And Mitchell goes merrily on his way thinking he's Mr. Badass. Players who continue that need to be facing lengthy suspensions.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 02:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well it's clear now.  So there is no need for concussion protocol. The players should be able to decide for themselves with advice from medical peeps.   Some are quitting, some are taking themselves out of the games, so it's obvious they can make these choices.

Don't you think it's interesting players are making more choices of that nature now that the NFL is no longer burying research on concussions by independent neurologists?  Again, I don't know why you think this whole concussion protocol is so absurd and over-protective/too cautious.  Let's just call a spade a spade and say that you don't care if Tyler Eifert ends up killing himself or others when his brain turns to mush if it means he has to sit out 2 games when the Bengals are fighting for a first round bye.

"Concussion protocol goes too far" says biased, non-neurologist football fan.  That's some compelling stuff right there.  Need me to do a peer review on that?  Here is a good one:

"Nately120, who has no background in neurology says Pig Ben is obviously so concussed that he should be forced to retire from the NFL immediately for the good of society as a whole.  Also, Mike Mitchell of the Steelers has created so many concussions that Nately120 suggests he be given a lifetime ban from the NFL."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 05:51 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: On the subject of Mike Mitchell:  I don't know if I've ever seen a more intentional, meant to injure, helmet-to-helmet spearing than the vicious Mitchell hit.

Eifert was going down, the play was over, and he targeted an almost prone, defenseless receiver.  Yeah, they threw a flag, and later fined him, but he should have also been ejected.  He went way out of his way to make that dirty hit.  That is exactly the kind of play that needs to be eliminated from the NFL.

Look what it's done to Eifert and the Bengals.  And Mitchell goes merrily on his way thinking he's Mr. Badass. Players who continue that need to be facing lengthy suspensions.

Any Player who purposely spears another should be ejected imo. Further any damages caused should be paid by the offender. This just might be effective enough to stop this nonsense. The $23,000 fine (or whatever the amount) is a joke, an insult to an 'Eifert' as well as the rest of the team who has lost a key player.

The NFL brain trust has come up woefully short on such matters. Time to step up and get this right. I don't see much gray area on the subject. If you condemn this, then develop a penalty that will be effective. These piss ant amounts of fines they hand out are embarrassing in the grand scheme of things.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 07:43 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Any Player who purposely spears another should be ejected imo. Further any damages caused should be paid by the offender. This just might be effective enough to stop this nonsense. The $23,000 fine (or whatever the amount) is a joke, an insult to an 'Eifert' as well as the rest of the team who has lost a key player.

The NFL brain trust has come up woefully short on such matters. Time to step up and get this right. I don't see much gray area on the subject. If you condemn this, then develop a penalty that will be effective. These piss ant amounts of fines they hand out are embarrassing in the grand scheme of things.

I think they can't prove quick enough that the spear was purposeful. If they could, then every game salary missed by the other player could be owed by the offending player. That would stop it xD.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Just saw on NFL Network pre-game (12/24/15 @ 7:59PM)..... Ticker at the bottom said Eifert OUT for Broncos game
Reply/Quote
Fawwwwwk!!!!!!!!!
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 07:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't you think it's interesting players are making more choices of that nature now that the NFL is no longer burying research on concussions by independent neurologists?  Again, I don't know why you think this whole concussion protocol is so absurd and over-protective/too cautious.  Let's just call a spade a spade and say that you don't care if Tyler Eifert ends up killing himself or others when his brain turns to mush if it means he has to sit out 2 games when the Bengals are fighting for a first round bye.

"Concussion protocol goes too far" says biased, non-neurologist football fan.  That's some compelling stuff right there.  Need me to do a peer review on that?  Here is a good one:

"Nately120, who has no background in neurology says Pig Ben is obviously so concussed that he should be forced to retire from the NFL immediately for the good of society as a whole.  Also, Mike Mitchell of the Steelers has created so many concussions that Nately120 suggests he be given a lifetime ban from the NFL."

No I don't care, the same as I don't care if they die of anything else. Do I wish harm on them ...... Of course not. Do I respect their wishes to work in a high risk occupation...... Yes So as for me being a spade ..... I think it should be up to Tyler Eifert to make that decision as long as he has the medical information on risks. After all it's his brain and his body.

Yes it's a shame the league buried research. Where was the nflpa in all this? Aren't they supposed to spearhead player safety.... Where was their studies? Or are they getting a pass b/c the big bad league didn't allow them to pay for their own study with their membership volunteering.

I'm glad they have more info now. But once again this just proves we need less concussion protocol and more player decisions. Maybe some would take more time off. Maybe some need less. Call me cold and heartless all you want but creating some arbitrary amount of time off doesn't apply to everyone. Quite frankly some will take more risks than others, And that's their choice.

As far as me making neurological decisions for a football player..... I don't think anyone but them should be making them.... And the league is arbitrarily making the choice for them and they don't even know if they even need the protocol .... It's just a dog and pony show to appease legal.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 10:01 PM)Whacked Wrote: Just saw on NFL Network pre-game (12/24/15 @ 7:59PM)..... Ticker at the bottom said Eifert OUT for Broncos game

They have been running that all day.   Meanwhile Hobson and Coley Harvey says he is doing stuff at practice and still on the path to playing.  
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 05:51 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: On the subject of Mike Mitchell:  I don't know if I've ever seen a more intentional, meant to injure, helmet-to-helmet spearing than the vicious Mitchell hit.

Eifert was going down, the play was over, and he targeted an almost prone, defenseless receiver.  Yeah, they threw a flag, and later fined him, but he should have also been ejected.  He went way out of his way to make that dirty hit.  That is exactly the kind of play that needs to be eliminated from the NFL.

Look what it's done to Eifert and the Bengals.  And Mitchell goes merrily on his way thinking he's Mr. Badass. Players who continue that need to be facing lengthy suspensions.

Do you have a link to the hit? I wasn't able to watch the game because of semester exams. 
[Image: WiscoFan.png]
Reply/Quote
Sorry, I don't have the link. It was up on numerous sites. Mouse around a little, and you'll probably find it.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 10:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They have been running that all day.   Meanwhile Hobson and Coley Harvey says he is doing stuff at practice and still on the path to playing.  

Ok good to hear 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 10:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No I don't care, the same as I don't care if they die of anything else.    Do I wish harm on them ...... Of course not.   Do I respect their wishes to work in a high risk occupation...... Yes     So as for me being a spade ..... I think it should be up to Tyler Eifert to make that decision as long as he has the medical information on risks.    After all it's his brain and his body.  

Tyler Eifert isn't a neurologist and decisions he makes now that impact his future may have as much logic behind them as a 19 year old deciding a daily dose of heroin is something he can "totally handle."  I'm all for people making their own decisions, but I can understand why there may be some people trying to make playing in the NFL less of a high risk occupation by minimizing the amount of hits a man takes when he's recovering from a concussion.

Missing 2 games now could potentially save years of his career in the long run, so even if you don't give a toss about the guy wandering the streets like a mindless vagrant after he retires there are Bengals-related reasons to stop a guy in his 20's from running back out on the field post-concussion.  Your argument just seems like a non-argument and cop out even if we agree on the basis of "people can make their own decisions."
Reply/Quote
Anybody who thinks he should play with a concussion should hit themselves in the head and concuss themselves then suit up and go play....
Reply/Quote
If the league finds a player intentionally hits another player helmet to helmet there should be a mandatory suspension/ejection.

Players know that concussions are priority #1 right now w/ the NFL.

They also know a helmet-to-helmet hit it could knock their opponent out for the rest of the game.

The result is Mitchell, Odell B and other dirty players go head hunting...........the league has to increase the punishment to deter this.

From here on out the league will always err on the side of caution, players will sit longer to make sure they are OK
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Anybody who thinks he should play with a concussion should hit themselves in the head and concuss themselves then suit up and go play....

Hey, if a guy with a brain injury thinks something is a good idea what right does a neurologist have to disagree? Ninja

(12-25-2015, 01:28 PM)CincyKid Wrote: If the league finds a player intentionally hits another player helmet to helmet there should be a mandatory suspension/ejection.

They also know a helmet-to-helmet hit it could knock their opponent out for the rest of the game.

The result is Mitchell, Odell B and other dirty players go head hunting...........the league has to increase the punishment to deter this.

From here on out the league will always err on the side of caution, players will sit longer to make sure they are OK

Brace yourself, people who consider themselves "tough" are going to start threatening to stop watching the NFL because it isn't tough enough anymore.  I remember the good ol' days when you could grab a guy's facemask and tear his neck apart until he went down.  Then they had to make that a penalty and make the game totally wussy.  No one watched after that.  It killed the NFL.  It was over. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 02:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well it's clear now.  So there is no need for concussion protocol. The players should be able to decide for themselves with advice from medical peeps.   Some are quitting, some are taking themselves out of the games, so it's obvious they can make these choices.

That's the way it was for a hundred years. Then lawyers figured out how to make the team's fault and sued for mega millions.

Now the league decides.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 01:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That's the way it was for a hundred years. Then lawyers figured out how to make the team's fault and sued for mega millions.

Now the league decides.

The NFL knowingly suppressed the dangers of concussions, thus misrepresenting the amount of risk players were "knowingly taking."  When people lie and put other people at risk, yes, sometimes some sort of restitution is justified. Your argument is invalid.  
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 01:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The NFL knowingly suppressed the dangers of concussions, thus misrepresenting the amount of risk players were "knowingly taking."  When people lie and put other people at risk, yes, sometimes some sort of restitution is justified.  Your argument is invalid.  

The players knew all along. How could they not? And no one forced anyone to be a football player. 

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 01:35 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The players knew all along. How could they not.

Knew what?  About the long term effects of concussions?  We still don't know everything about the long-term effects of them, not the least of which being due to the NFL's attempts to minimize research and hide the impact.  For some reason everyone who even looked at a football in his life is a neurologist now.

It's not brain surgery here folks, it's football!  BOOM, football!
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 01:28 PM)CincyKid Wrote: If the league finds a player intentionally hits another player helmet to helmet there should be a mandatory suspension/ejection.

Heard an idea I really like the other day. If a player like Mitchell delivers an intentional dirty hit and injures a player, then the offending player is suspended the same number of games it takes the victimized player to return. If it's one game, it's one game. If he goes on IR, the suspension is for the season. If it retires him, the offending player is kicked out of the league. That should just about stop all of it.
Reply/Quote