Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UDFAs
(04-29-2017, 07:44 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I'll be updating this thread as Undrafted Free Agents have been signed.

So far:
Demetrious Cox, DB, Michigan State
Karel Hamilton, WR, Samford
Brandon Bell, LB, Penn State
Dustin Stanton, OL/TE, Oregon State
Jarveon Williams, RB, UT-San Antonio
Darrin Laufasa, FB, UTEP
Phil Nelson, QB, ECU
Kent Perkins, OL, Texas
Cethan Carter, TE, Nebraska
Monty Madaris, WR, Michigan State
Jason Carr, DT, West Georgia
Tyler O'Connor, QB, Michigan State
Josh Tupou, DL, Colorado
Harold Brantley, DT, Northwest Missouri State University
Landon Lechler, OL, North Dakota State
Hardy Nickerson Jr., LB, Illinois
Torren McGaster, CB, Vanderbilt
Boom Williams, RB, Kentucky

Just looking at CBS Draft Prospects....nothing here as a draft pick fallen....but Brandon Bell -LB- Penn State and Cethan Carter-TE-Nebraska were listed as 274 and 275 best players in draft.   ....I'm going to look this over close to see all these players and any rare upsides. ....Torren McGaster, CB was 823 player in draft.....Demetrious Cox-FS was 366......Josh Tupou-DT was 280.....Harold Brantley -DT was 613......Jason Carr-DT-was 764.....Darrin Lafausa-FB was 630.....Karel Hamilton-WR-588.....If Stanley Williams is Boom Williams- RB- Kentucky then 488.....Phil Nelson-QB is 660.....Tyler O'Conner-QB-is 877.....Kent Perkins-T- 254......Landon Lechler-T- 760......Hardy Nickerson-LB-251.......Monty Madaris-WR, Jarveon Williams-RB and Duston Stanton-TE/OL are off the boards over 1000..

So, the best of the bunch look like Hardy Nicherson Illinois Linebacker at 251......Texas Offensive Tackle Kent Perkins at 254......Brandon Bell Penn State Linebacker at 274......Cethan Carter Nebraska Tight End at 275.......Josh Tupou Colorado Defensive Tackle at 280......So 2 Big 10 LB's from Illinois and Penn State....A Texas Offensive Tackle.....A Nebraska Tight End.....a Colorado Defensive Tackle......These are the best of the bunch that could come in here and challenge for a roster spot or practice squad spot.

Hardy Nickerson Jr, son of 5 time Pro Bowler Hardy Nickerson Sr, a 4 year starter at MIKE with California and then Illinois. Good speed but built more like a safety. Considered a bottom of the roster LB and special teams player. 6 foot and 232 pounds. 4.48 in 40 yard dash and 33 vertical jump with 18 bench presses of 225 at combine. He was coached by his Pro Bowl father who was Defensive Coordinator at Illinois and was coached up to Big 10 Honorable Mention and led Illinois in tackles with 107.

Kent Perkins. Texas Longhorn Tackle. 6'5'' 325 lbs......a 34 game starter who brings versatility and strength....High school All American.....his 35 bench presses tied for most by anybody at combine....Has played tackle and guard.....He paved the way for 2,028 yards rushing by Foreman at Texas.....So he is considered a very strong run blocker with upsides.

Brandon Bell ..6'1 231 lbs......Team Captain and 32 game starter, there is no shortage of film on the Penn State tackling machine who is in great physical shape. In spite of this he was considered a late round pick or undrafted. ....Penn State known for linebackers and this star team captain who led Lions to wins is perhaps under rated.

Cethan Carter...6'3 241 lbs....Nebraska Tight End....Injuries kept his production numbers down and lacks elite tight end size. Still scouts project him as a possible TE and HB type that could be a good addition to a team in late rounds or undrafted. Interesting skill sets and can catch. WR quickness, good blocker, and once in open field goes for huge gains. Compared to Trey Burton of Eagles for mismatches against defenses.

Josh Tupou...Colorado....DEFENSIVE TACKLE.....6'3'' 353 lbs.....The big run stuffer generated some NFL buzz. He is very raw and a coaching up project. At 353 pounds, don't expect a speed rusher, but if you are looking to try to develop a very large DT as Gilbert Brown was for Green Bay Packers or Refrigerator Perry was for Chicago Bears.....For fans that always want a big fat guy at DT, this guy fills the bill.. He will need much coaching up, but might be worth it. I could really see him on goal line defense and who knows, could he run the ball at goal line like The Fridge. his 353 pounds should be able to lean forward for a goal line TD.

I see things to root for in these 5 players. A big run blocking Texas Longhorn Offensive Lineman who plays tackle and guard. We could use that.....Two very interesting Big 10 Linebackers, I like that......A JUMBO DT from Colorado, I like that......A TE / RB or slot WR from Nebraska .....THese are good additions for Undrafted. ....We need all the help we can get to go from losers back to play-offs, so I'm pulling for anybody that can help us win.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:25 AM)kevin Wrote: Just looking at CBS Draft Prospects....nothing here as a draft pick fallen....but Brandon Bell -LB- Penn State and Cethan Carter-TE-Nebraska were listed as 274 and 275 best players in draft.   ....I'm going to look this over close to see all these players and any rare upsides. ....Torren McGaster, CB was 823 player in draft.....Demetrious Cox-FS was 366......Josh Tupou-DT was 280.....Harold Brantley -DT was 613......Jason Carr-DT-was 764.....Darrin Lafausa-FB was 630.....Karel Hamilton-WR-588.....If Stanley Williams is Boom Williams- RB- Kentucky then 488.....Phil Nelson-QB is 660.....Tyler O'Conner-QB-is 877.....Kent Perkins-T- 254......Landon Lechler-T- 760......Hardy Nickerson-LB-251.......Monty Madaris-WR, Jarveon Williams-RB and Duston Stanton-TE/OL are off the boards over 1000..

So, the best of the bunch look like Hardy Nicherson Illinois Linebacker at 251......Texas Offensive Tackle Kent Perkins at 254......Brandon Bell Penn State Linebacker at 274......Cethan Carter Nebraska Tight End at 275.......Josh Tupou Colorado Defensive Tackle at 280......

Yes!!! The Hardy Nick-man's son is aboard! I hope he sticks on PS, at least: my favourite LB ever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Considering we drafted way late on O Line and LB help, The Texas Longhorn O Lineman and the Illinois and Penn State Linebackers very NEEDED additions....I like the Gilbert or Fridge Perry sized DT from Colorado.....and the Nebraska TE / HB / slot WR that can block and catch for big gains sounds interesting.....WE all know we need the O Line help and I think we need the LB help as well....The DT and TE are worth trying to coach up. I wouldn't mind it if we found a Gilbert or Perry at DT as an unmovable run stopper.

I see the Texas Longhorn bench pressing strength stud of 34 games started paving way for a 2,000 yard rusher and versatility as a tackle or guard.....I see him making this team. We need O Line help and he sounds like a High School All American that excelled at Texas Longhorns and that's good enough for me. Give this guy more than a chance. We need BLOCKING. ......Burfict undrafted shows the NFL draft can get it very wrong at times....One of the strongest and most talented linemen blockers out of college, Yes, We can use him. I can't see him not at least making practice squad. Could turn out to be a real steal. I hope he bulldozes and pancakes people in Spring and Summer and helps rebuild this O Line.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Josh Tupou would be an interesting project to convert to a WR...
Reply/Quote
Did anybody pick up Gunner Kiel?
Reply/Quote
We had so many draft picks, the UDFAs are going to have to be exceptional to make the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 04:14 AM)Joelist Wrote: Josh Tupou would be an interesting project to convert to a WR...

Maybe for some other team.  We're stacked at WR.
Reply/Quote
Not on your list but Ben Boulware signed with Carolina.
Reply/Quote
What the freakin #^%E#@ Marvin...... you let San Francisco take both Jon Toth and Cole Hikutini as UDFAs??????? They played so close to CIncy someone should have been on the phone immediately with them, as both were predicted to go in the 4th. Big miss on these two. That said..... although our backfield is pretty much set, don't sleep on Boom Williams. He may displace Carson on PS, or could even displace the Rev.....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 04:14 AM)Joelist Wrote: Josh Tupou would be an interesting project to convert to a WR...

I'd like to see him at kicker, like that penn st guy only bigger lol
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What the freakin #^%E#@ Marvin...... you let San Francisco take both Jon Toth and Cole Hikutini as UDFAs??????? They played so close to CIncy someone should have been on the phone immediately with them, as both were predicted to go in the 4th. Big miss on these two. 

UDFA's go wherever they want.  Marvin could have been begging them to come here for all you know.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:25 AM)kevin Wrote: Hardy Nickerson Jr, son of 5 time Pro Bowler Hardy Nickerson Sr,  a 4 year starter at MIKE with California and then Illinois. Good speed but built more like a safety.  Considered a bottom of the roster LB and special teams player. 6 foot and 232 pounds.  4.48 in 40 yard dash and 33 vertical jump with 18 bench presses of 225 at combine. 

This posts really puts the NFL into perspective for me.

Do you realize what kind of physical freak athlete you have to be to both run a sub 4.5 forty and do 18 reps of 225 on the bench?

And this guy is an UDFA who will have to bust his ass just to make an NFL roster.

Even the worst players in the NFL are physical freaks.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This posts really puts the NFL into perspective for me.

Do you realize what kind of physical freak athlete you have to be to both run a sub 4.5 forty and do 18 reps of 225 on the bench?

And this guy is an UDFA who will have to bust his ass just to make an NFL roster.

Even the worst players in the NFL are physical freaks

I agree Fred, makes all the uglier when 250 LB. out of shape guys call them bums or a series of personal attacks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This posts really puts the NFL into perspective for me.

Even the worst players in the NFL are physical freaks.

Except that the 40 time cited in the previous post seems rather dubious.  I read a brief scouting report on him last night and it was mentioned that his athleticism was his primary shortcoming.  Looking at Brandt's notes on the Illinois Pro Day, Nickerson ran a 4.79 and 4.82. Of course that would still put him above 2 or 3 of the current LB crop. And he is considered instinctive, which may explain why he was an all-conference selection in both the Pac-12 (transfer from Cal) and the Big-10.

Upon further examination those may have been Honorable Mention selections, but still.
Reply/Quote
I'll definitely be rooting for Hardy Nickerson to make the team, as his dad was once of my favorite players when I was a kid.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Thanks PikePeake.

I like Nickerson myself.

Would of thought we would want another Center to compete besides Dielman.

I just hope Dielman is healthy, he was pretty damn good at Utah before he got hurt.

Must be, otherwise you would of thought the team would of taken another Center or one earlier.

The coaches must feel real good about the O-line contrary to us fans.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: UDFA's go wherever they want.  Marvin could have been begging them to come here for all you know.

Yes, I know they go where they want, but I also know that when you're projected to go in the 4th round, and then you get hit in the face with the fact you didn't get drafted, you are most likely going to jump at the chance when a teams calls and not take the chance other teams will call..... Marvin should have been first. Maybe he was, but I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, I know they go where they want, but I also know that when you're projected to go in the 4th round, and then you get hit in the face with the fact you didn't get drafted, you are most likely going to jump at the chance when a teams calls and not take the chance other teams will call..... Marvin should have been first. Maybe he was, but I doubt it.

I would say there are reasons there that would explain why he went undrafted then. That said I would have liked Hikutini too
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:28 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I would say there are reasons there that would explain why he went undrafted then. That said I would have liked Hikutini too

I really don't understand either of them not being drafted. Both were projected to go in the 4th, have no injuries, and no character concerns. Hikutini was supposedly 9th rated TE. Toth was rated 6th or 7th I think. I'm baffled....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 08:45 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Maybe for some other team.  We're stacked at WR.

What? Don't you want a 355 pound WR?
Reply/Quote