Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UDFAs
(04-30-2017, 02:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really don't understand either of them not being drafted. Both were projected to go in the 4th, have no injuries, and no character concerns. Hikutini was supposedly 9th rated TE. Toth was rated 6th or 7th I think. I'm baffled....

"Expert" projections and team grades don't always match up. Hikutini needs to develop both as a receiver and blocker. I think he could become a decent TE but that remains to be seen. Teams obviously felt he's still a ways off.

I think Toth was just extremely overrated by many, and his projection was inflated by the poor o line class. For the most part I don't think teams panicked too much overdrafting o line. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really don't understand either of them not being drafted. Both were projected to go in the 4th, have no injuries, and no character concerns. Hikutini was supposedly 9th rated TE. Toth was rated 6th or 7th I think. I'm baffled....

Well that's from our perspective though. I know Hikutini had an injury but I didn't think it would lead to him going undrafted. I really hope he can stick on the 49ers
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:42 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Well that's from our perspective though. I know Hikutini had an injury but I didn't think it would lead to him going undrafted. I really hope he can stick on the 49ers

I think he will, and I think he will prosper. His receiving definitely does not need work, his hands are golden. His blocking, yes, he needs to work on it..
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think he will, and I think he will prosper. His receiving definitely does not need work, his hands are golden. His blocking, yes, he needs to work on it..

His problem is in the subtleties before the catch. He needs work on all aspects but is at least average in all aspects. Hence why I think he'll make a good #2 TE some day. I know you believe otherwise lol
Reply/Quote
Have to pick one of these to get behind each year; as I believe last year was the first time in quite a while that a UDFA didn't make the 53.

May pick this year is Harold Brantley. Brantley was on his way to stardom at Mizzou As a redshirt sophomore in 2014, Brantley recorded 54 tackles, including seven for a loss, with five sacks. He also blocked a field goal and an extra point that season.

However, he was involved in a horrific car wreck following that season and missed 2015 while recovering, he was then dismissed from Mizzou due to academics. He former coach compared him to Sheldon Richardson.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Have to pick one of these to get behind each year; as I believe last year was the first time in quite a while that a UDFA didn't make the 53.

May pick this year is Harold Brantley. Brantley was on his way to stardom at Mizzou As a redshirt sophomore in 2014, Brantley recorded 54 tackles, including seven for a loss, with five sacks. He also blocked a field goal and an extra point that season.

However, he was involved in a horrific car wreck following that season and missed 2015 while recovering, he was then dismissed from Mizzou due to academics. He former coach compared him to Sheldon Richardson.

Forgot to do this
I don't know any of these players so I'm going to just say Landon Lechler from ND State. Best player we got in the past 4 days imo
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: UDFA's go wherever they want.  Marvin could have been begging them to come here for all you know.

Maybe we were first to call, but got outbid.

Maybe we were first to call and had the best offer, but it was clear there was a better shot at making the active roster somewhere else.

There are all kinds of maybes out there, and plenty of things to legitimately complain about.  Not signing a guy who went undrafted is not one of them...
Reply/Quote
Corey Smith WR Ohio State
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Have to pick one of these to get behind each year; as I believe last year was the first time in quite a while that a UDFA didn't make the 53.

If I could only root for one it would be Kent Perkins, the weight room monster on bench presses in the draft and Texas Longhorn Tackle and Guard starting 34 games.  A very good blocker for Texas and considering we did not address O Line enough in draft, then THIS GUY.   He is flat out big and strong and can bulldoze people. I don't know why he wasn't drafted but Burfict wasn't drafted. ......Someone said with all our picks these UDFA have no chance.  I disagree.  When draft ended we needed O Line and LB help in UDFA.....Perkins we could use as an O Lineman.....Bell and Nickerson Jr good LB help......Tupou a huge DT and I would like to see him on the goal line Fridge Perry play.  Still others want to see him as a 350 pound WR.........The TE/ HB / Slot receiver can block and has big play potential.

I want to win, and I could care less if veterans, draft picks or undrafted free agents get us to Super Bowl.  I'm rooting for everybody. Get them all into camps.  Let the losing veterans last year fight for their jobs. May the best players from now to September make the roster or practice squad.  It may be a toss up now who is stronger, Atkins or Perkins.  We drafted so many finesse players, we needed these muscle guys. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: "Expert" projections and team grades don't always match up. Hikutini needs to develop both as a receiver and blocker. I think he could become a decent TE but that remains to be seen. Teams obviously felt he's still a ways off.

I think Toth was just extremely overrated by many, and his projection was inflated by the poor o line class. For the most part I don't think teams panicked too much overdrafting o line. 

Well I'm not the only one that thinks Toth should have been taken. If you read the letters to Hobs, someone else wrote in about him and mentioned something very telling. Watching the defensive players taken in the 1st rd. highlights films, you won't see Jon Toth in their highlights...
..... I think his biggest knock in the combine was his bench. Thing is, Toth gets it done with position and leverage.... strength can come... SF got a steal on both those guys....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:05 PM)kevin Wrote: If I could only root for one it would be Kent Perkins, the weight room monster on bench presses in the draft and Texas Longhorn Tackle and Guard starting 34 games.  A very good blocker for Texas and considering we did not address O Line enough in draft, then THIS GUY.   He is flat out big and strong and can bulldoze people. I don't know why he wasn't drafted but Burfict wasn't drafted. ......Someone said with all our picks these UDFA have no chance.  I disagree.  When draft ended we needed O Line and LB help in UDFA.....Perkins we could use as an O Lineman.....Bell and Nickerson Jr good LB help......Tupou a huge DT and I would like to see him on the goal line Fridge Perry play.  Still others want to see him as a 350 pound WR.........The TE/ HB / Slot receiver can block and has big play potential.

I want to win, and I could care less if veterans, draft picks or undrafted free agents get us to Super Bowl.  I'm rooting for everybody. Get them all into camps.  Let the losing veterans last year fight for their jobs. May the best players from now to September make the roster or practice squad.  It may be a toss up now who is stronger, Atkins or Perkins.  We drafted so many finesse players, we needed these muscle guys. 

I hope in the end we pick the best players whether on current roster, draft picks or UFA. I do hope also we understand we have added a lot of talent to a talented roster, but a roster than only won 6 games in 2016 so current players will get cut.

I know some of us act at times like we are better judges of the roster than Tobin, MB and the coaches, but I will respect their decision when they cut the guy I liked since they see them at every practice, no their habits and know their ability in the classroom to be able to execute the different game plans.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well I'm not the only one that thinks Toth should have been taken. If you read the letters to Hobs, someone else wrote in about him and mentioned something very telling. Watching the defensive players taken in the 1st rd. highlights films, you won't see Jon Toth in their highlights...
..... I think his biggest knock in the combine was his bench. Thing is, Toth gets it done with position and leverage.... strength can come... SF got a steal on both those guys....

I think I remember someone saying that Toth was a turnstile at the senior bowl. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:01 PM)Shady Wrote: I think I remember someone saying that Toth was a turnstile at the senior bowl. 

Don't think they knew what they were talking about....

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jon-toth-grades-highest-on-south-senior-bowl-team/

Quote:
Quote:Kentucky offensive lineman Jon Toth was the highest graded offensive player on the Reese's Senior Bowl's winning South team according to Pro Football Focus. He received a grade of 81.8 on a scale to 100.

Toth played center and offensive guard during the 16-15 victory. Most reports indicate that he improved throughout the week of practices. He is currently considered a mid-round pick by most outlets.
Kansas State defensive end Jordan Willis (85.5), St. Francis (Pa.) safety Lorenzo Jerome (85.0), East Carolina wide receiver Zay Jones (84.6) and Virginia Tech fullback Sam Rogers (82.4) were the only players to rate higher than the Indiana product.

Quote:PFF College Football‏Verified account @PFF_College Jan 29

Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
More

"C Jon Toth capped a fine career at Kentucky will a brilliant display in his postseason All Star game." #SeniorBowl

• Retweets 52
(04-30-2017, 03:22 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Forgot to do this
I don't know any of these players so I'm going to just say Landon Lechler from ND State. Best player we got in the past 4 days imo

A smart pick to go with when looking at the situation. Lechler has a good shot at getting the backup LT job. The coaches don't like moving the OL all around, but that could happen if Ced gets injured or continues to suck. You'd have to consider that they'd swing Fisher over to LT, move Andre out to RT and bring in TJ/Westerman at RG. Or swing Fisher and bring in Winston at RT.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I think out of all these UDFA, Josh Tupou has the best chance making the 53 man roster. Maybe Lechler,
the OT.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
David Jones DB Richmond (NE)
Damien Mama G USC (KC)
Jadar Johnson S Clemson (NYG)
Storm Norton OL Toledo (Det)
Jeremy Cutrer DB Middle Tennessee (Jax)
Ethan Cooper OL Indiana-Pennsylvania (Pitt)

Still UDFA's that I am aware of:
Keionta Davis, Chattanooga Bulging Disc in neck prevented him from getting drafted. Has stated he will not sign until he is ready to join a team.
Charles Walker DT Oklahoma (Signed with NO)
Ezra Robinson DB Tennessee State (signed with Jax)
Jerry Ugokwe OT William & Mary (I would really like to see us have signed him) Signed with Colts
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 07:22 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think out of all these UDFA, Josh Tupou has the best chance making the 53 man roster.  Maybe Lechler,
the OT.

I'd like to see Tupou make the roster. He and Billings would rotate in the two gap position on the line, with Atkins and Glascow possibly being the other two DTs. Then you have DE, where we have Dunlap, Will Clarke, Jordan Willis and that last spot is a dogfight. 
Reply/Quote
I'm rooting for Demetrious, the db from msu. How can you not pull for cox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What the freakin #^%E#@ Marvin...... you let San Francisco take both Jon Toth and Cole Hikutini as UDFAs??????? They played so close to CIncy someone should have been on the phone immediately with them, as both were predicted to go in the 4th. Big miss on these two. That said..... although our backfield is pretty much set, don't sleep on Boom Williams. He may displace Carson on PS, or could even displace the Rev.....

My thoughts exactly. Even the other C Out of WV would have been nice.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: What? Don't you want a 355 pound WR?

Sure would be funny to watch on kick returns.
Reply/Quote