Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Bengal fans who were there, how was it?
There seemed to have been quite a few of you on this board who were looking forward to this game. So tell us yanks what you thought about the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
Like matted spam n kippers n tea t' was. Wot wot!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here's what I thought from my seat:

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
This was my sixth Intenational Series game and the one I enjoyed least because this one mattered to me.

The bad bits:-
Nugent's misses.
Watching Kirk Cousins pretty much do what he liked.
Being sat in front off the whiniest-voiced Washington fan who was over for the game. Do they all sound like they've inhaled a small amount of helium?
The cost of food and drink at Wembley never ceases to amaze me.

The good parts:-
More Bengals fans than I expected, it felt like around a quarter of the stadium were good guys.
A large number of great fans over from the US, all of whom seemed happy to be there.
Pre-game was good and poignant.
Erickson's first (only) return.
Tyler Eifert.
Shouting "You like that?" at whiny-voiced-man at the FG miss.

I've said elsewhere that I hope it's the last Bengals home game we have over here. Yeah, it's great for us but I do feel for the long-term US-based fans who miss out.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 03:33 AM)Ned Ludd Wrote: The bad bits:-
Nugent's misses.
Being sat in front off the whiniest-voiced Washington fan who was over for the game. Do they all sound like they've inhaled a small amount of helium?
The good parts:-
More Bengals fans than I expected, it felt like around a quarter of the stadium were good guys.
Shouting "You like that?" at whiny-voiced-man at the FG miss.
I've said elsewhere that I hope it's the last Bengals home game we have over here. Yeah, it's great for us but I do feel for the long-term US-based fans who miss out.

You are officiallyI anointed Cincinnati Bengais fan !
Reply/Quote
Thank you guys for your responses. It sounds like lots of Bengals fans made the trip and/or there are already a lot of fans across the pond.

Tyler Eifert is a tough guy and he is desperately needed for the Bengals' hopes this year. The game seemed very festive and it was fun to watch even though it was a non-win. In the end the Bengals showed some toughness and AJ is having a good year.
Reply/Quote
I had a great time! Feel very lucky to have been able to see the Bengals play. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
If I was over in England this last weekend, I would have much preferred to go see a Premier League game instead. The Bengals-Skins game would been a bonus if I got to go it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
English Bengal here, and still very much in awe despite the result. I had a heck of a day and I'm honestly entirely grateful that the NFL gave me an opportunity to see my team (without the expensive trip across the pond).

Went to all 3 games in London this year, and the Bengals game was by far the best of the lot. Great atmosphere, with what seemed like a great following for the Bengals. A great deal of Redskins jerseys around too, which made it more of an event.

The game had it all, drama pretty much the whole way. I'm seeing loads of people say 'YAWN WHAT A BORING TIE OMG'... seriously, that 4th and OT period was amazing entertainment.

In terms of the game we played, offensively we were only came to play for 1 of the 5 quarters. 3rd quarter we completely had our way with the Redskins, mostly Eifert just being uncoverable. The rest of the game we just seemed too rushed, drives stalled real quick and we just didn't get into a rhythm. O-Line tbh didn't seem too bad. They've been pretty awful all year, but it didn't seem to me as though they did a bad job.

Defensively, it was pretty poor. Kirk Cousins isn't bad, but 450 yards? Think he made a couple of 'good' plays, but practically every catch was just an uncovered pass. Good scheme, or just bad defence? I'd say the latter personally, just looked like prevent D all day long. The less said about Nugent the better... weak leg and no confidence in him making any kick.

I'm glad we got to see a good dose of AJ too. Shame he didn't pickup a TD, but made a handful of good plays which was great to see. Eifert just had a day of it whenever we got him involved. Gio looked good when we gave him the ball, wanted to see us stick with him but it's not like Hill was bad.

Overall, I'm just glad to not have been making the trip home after a defeat. We probably should've lost the game with OT and the very slow start considered. As soon as we got going I felt we'd win, but boneidle errors cost us.

All in all a complete 10/10 experience, great game, great atmosphere and got to see my Bengals at their most Cincinnati-esque. I've been like a kid at Christmas the past couple days.
Reply/Quote
Just came back. First off, London is a great city (although a bit expensive) - and the Londoners, of all races and colours, are great people. You just have to act decent, and they are so friendly, helpful, appreciating. A+ for London and the British.

It was my first live NFL game so I can not really compare much here. They made quite a show, and it was amazing to me how fluent the game seemed to go most of the time.

I know me and my guys made quite an ahouting effort on Redskins possessions, but unfortunately only few in my sector did so. The stadium as a whole seemed to be quite evenly split. I still believe I made Hopkins miss by shouting and waving, though.

About the game, you have seen it anyway, so what is there to tell. You saw the Redskins going and the defensive blunders and the nice plays (AJ Greens 10 yard fight amongst them, somehow stuck the most). Got away with an unsatisfying tie. In third quarter, we seemed to get the upper hand; the Dalton interception was quite a momentum swing.

What else.
They made a thing out of Bengals players not knowing some British expressions. That I found a bit lame. Munoz was there and I saw him before and did not recognize him, which makes me a bad person. The beer line was reasonably short. Thierry Henry got booed. And I suffered a bit of an overstimulation at some point.
Fans of all kinds of teams went to the game - I guess for many it was more the celebration of football than the teams, and I can understand that. Of course it was not a home game other than the inserts implied it and the Ben-Gals were dancing. As happy as I was about the game, at some point afterwards even I thought that kind of sucked - the Redskins would probably have been beatable in PBS. I got over it quickly, though. It was a great extra-long experience and I'm grateful.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 03:21 PM)hollodero Wrote: Just came back. First off, London is a great city (although a bit expensive) - and the Londoners, of all races and colours, are great people. You just have to act decent, and they are so friendly, helpful, appreciating. A+ for London and the British.

It was my first live NFL game so I can not really compare much here. They made quite a show, and it was amazing to me how fluent the game seemed to go most of the time.

I know me and my guys made quite an ahouting effort on Redskins possessions, but unfortunately only few in my sector did so. The stadium as a whole seemed to be quite evenly split. I still believe I made Hopkins miss by shouting and waving, though.

About the game, you have seen it anyway, so what is there to tell. You saw the Redskins going and the defensive blunders and the nice plays (AJ Greens 10 yard fight amongst them, somehow stuck the most). Got away with an unsatisfying tie. In third quarter, we seemed to get the upper hand; the Dalton interception was quite a momentum swing.

What else.
They made a thing out of Bengals players not knowing some British expressions. That I found a bit lame. Munoz was there and I saw him before and did not recognize him, which makes me a bad person. The beer line was reasonably short. Thierry Henry got booed. And I suffered a bit of an overstimulation at some point.
Fans of all kinds of teams went to the game - I guess for many it was more the celebration of football than the teams, and I can understand that. Of course it was not a home game other than the inserts implied it and the Ben-Gals were dancing. As happy as I was about the game, at some point afterwards even I thought that kind of sucked - the Redskins would probably have been beatable in PBS. I got over it quickly, though. It was a great extra-long experience and I'm grateful.

Several people commented that they are pretty sure they saw the kicker distracted by a screaming Bengals fan. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 10:13 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: I had a great time! Feel very lucky to have been able to see the Bengals play. 

I can never get those thumbnails to enlarge, but from what I see you look pretty decked out.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I've read a few sites saying there were more Redskin fans than Bengal fans at the game by a good amount too. Is this accurate?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 04:59 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Here's what I thought from my seat:

Only way to make that funnier is by turning on closed caption.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 07:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only way to make that funnier is by turning on closed caption.

It probably just read "???????????????"
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 07:04 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I've read a few sites saying there were more Redskin fans than Bengal fans at the game by a good amount too. Is this accurate?

A post above said evenly split, but on the broadcast it sure sounded like there were more Washington fans.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 08:44 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: A post above said evenly split, but on the broadcast it sure sounded like there were more Washington fans.  

I said that, but that might not be accurate. I made quite an effort to shout myself, therefore I couldn't really compare the overall volume.

I just can say I did my part. My voice was pretty worn out after the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 08:44 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: A post above said evenly split, but on the broadcast it sure sounded like there were more Washington fans.  

I don't know if there are a significant amount of Americans living there going to these games, but I could see a lot more Americans from the DC area living there than from Cincinnati.

Reply/Quote
One thing you guys probably aren't aware of is that the NFL only started being "a thing" over here in the mid 80s, so we have large fanbases for teams that were doing well at that time. The Dolphins, 49ers, Redskins, Bears, Raiders and Broncos are all popular teams for that reason. Hell, the reason I'm a Bengals fan is because of the success of Boomer and his team back then!

I do think the NFL should take these things into consideration when deciding who the home team is going to be at these games because it was shameful hearing the crowd being so loud on our offensive third downs.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 10:13 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: I had a great time! Feel very lucky to have been able to see the Bengals play. 

I think you made it onto TV
Reply/Quote