Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATE: League explains why Shazier hit legal
Part of same story I pasted somewhere earlier, but a full explanation from Dean Blandino now included - so felt it warranted its own thread.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
If that's not leading with the crown of the helmet then there is no such thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You can clearly see in the slow motion replay that Shazier's locates Gio with his eyes, turns his body, lowers his helmet and strikes on an upward motion. Clearly intentionally leading with crown of helmet, not incidental contact.
Reply/Quote
The correct answer is: because Pittsburgh.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
That's a makeshift, bullshit explanation if I've ever heard one.
Reply/Quote
There's nothing about that hit that isn't illegal. He isn't anywhere near the tackle box. Shazier CLEARLY launched him self at Gio; he hit the RB with crown of his helmet (he initiated contact with the top of his helmet).

It would be interesting to see what they WOULD consider a violation. Maybe if Gio had been decapitated...
GO STRIPES!!!
Reply/Quote
Right. Shazier didn't line him up. Rolleyes

And I loved this quote from Blandino:

Quote:We certainly are concerned with players lowering their head. We don’t want players to lower their head to initiate contact. That’s why this rule was in place, to coach that, and to get that out of the game...But we have to continue to look at this technique and make sure that where we can we eliminate it from the game and we prohibit players and deter players from dropping and using the crown of the helmet.

What a great way to deter these type of hits: by ignoring them completely. Well, depending on the team or player I guess.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Lots of Blandino-isms just to say "because."

Lining up? Where the he'll is that anywhere in the rules?
Reply/Quote
So, does the NFL make public the copy of the rulebook that contains this exception for "moving at an angle"? Because I don't see that language in the actual rules.
Reply/Quote
You guys smell something? *sniff* *sniff*......smells like bullshit.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What a bunch of bull shit. He expects us to believe that a helmet to helmet shot where the defender intentionally leads with the crown and knocks the other guy out is perfectly legal? Blandino needs to retire right now.
Reply/Quote
Well, I disagree with the "lining up" explanation.  Gio wasn't moving when he was hit in the face mask so there wasn't any "angle" involved on his part and there is no way he could have avoided contact.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000152145/Crown-of-the-helmet-hit-rule-explained

All of that is a moot point, because unnecessary roughness Article 6i:  "using any part of a player’s helmet or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily."
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000247646/NFL-Officiating-Crown-of-the-Helmet-rule
Reply/Quote
The fact that they can actually sit there and claim the notion that that was in fact a legal hit is beyond disbelief especially when you look at Burficts shoulder to helmet hit, which i thought was a penalty, but then you look at Shawn Willams hit and how can you sit here and say that is a penalty but say Shaziers hit was legal. The blatant no calls against the Steelers have gotten so bad how can anyone be a fan of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Another thing I find funny is how frequently the retired referees are wrong during official reviews.  Sound like the making of a news story by a certain reporter?
Reply/Quote
I can't wait until Burfict lays that EXACT same hit on a Steeler. They'll throw 9 flags and try to eject him, only for Burfict to pull out a photo of the Shazier hit and a printed page of Blandino's explanation from his shoulder pads or something, and forced them to pick up their flags. The same Steelers fans who said it was just tough nosed football with Shazier will talk about how Burfict tried to murder the player, needs to be banned for life from the NFL, and sent to jail.

We all know it's going to happen eventually.

After all, it wouldn't be the first time...

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
F.U.N.F.L.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
He didn't line him up is their explanation? I've heard some complete BS in my time, but if this wasn't lining someone up what is?

He led with his helmet and made forcible contact. He knocked a guy out. You don't do that without all three -- Line up, lead with crown of helmet and forcible contact.

Complete and utterly unbelievable that he wasn't even fined. Legal or not, if the NFL is serious about protecting players from concussions, this must be flagged as a penalty.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
It beggars belief that a league run and owned by lawyers have managed to write a set of rules that say one thing while the officials and administrators interpret it as another.

The rule is exceptionally clear on what is a foul: non-incidental contact with the crown of your helmet on an opposing player outside the tackle box. However, since they brought the rule in, they kept talking about this concept of "lining up" the other player. Given that has always been their intent and their interpretation, it does make me wonder how a team of lawyers were unable to write it into the rulebook.

Unless, of course, they wanted to be seen to be doing something without actually doing anything.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 08:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can't wait until Burfict lays that EXACT same hit on a Steeler. They'll throw 9 flags and try to eject him, only for Burfict to pull out a photo of the Shazier hit and a printed page of Blandino's explanation from his shoulder pads or something, and forced them to pick up their flags. The same Steelers fans who said it was just tough nosed football with Shazier will talk about how Burfict tried to murder the player, needs to be banned for life from the NFL, and sent to jail.

We all know it's going to happen eventually.

After all, it wouldn't be the first time...

Exactly I can't wait until Burfict does the same thing..  Also common sense lets you know he could have wrapped up Gio but instead he wanted to lay the hit with the crown of the helmet...  
Reply/Quote