Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ugh...
The atmosphere at SOFI won't be anything like a Ram's home game. First, 90% of whatever fans the Rams have wouldn't be able to afford the tickets. Second, football still isn't big in the LA area and the Ram's/especially the Charger's games always have lots of transplants there rooting for the other team.

I'm kind of glad the Rams won because this way it eliminates the possibility of a flukey loss to the 9ers and all that comes with that.
Reply/Quote
This is where the disciple (Zac) beats the master (McVay) story.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 06:52 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Someone explain why we should have rather faced SF.   SF outscored LA 75-54 in their three meeting this season, with the Niners winning two of those, including a 21 pt. blowout in SF.   The SF fan base is much more passionate than LA, so I don't expect much of a home field advantage at SOFI.   For some reason, SF seems to get some quirky breaks when they play us and find a way to come out on top.

Also, the NFL.com power rankings  ranked the Chiefs #1  AND  SF #2 out of the four teams left going in to Championship Sunday. The Rams were #3. We were #4. Previous power rankings going into divisional round had Chiefs #3 , Titans #5, Bengals #6  , Niners #7 , and Rams #8 .   The Rams defense with Donald, Miller , etal  gave up more points on the season than any other team in their division.  In addition to losing two of three to the Niners, the Rams also lost at home by  17  to Arizona, by 12 at home to Tennessee, won by just 9 at home over hapless Detroit, and closed the season by  beating the atrocious Ravens by 1 point , in a game they probably should have lost.

In the playoffs SF went into Dallas and beat Dak , into Lambeau and beat Aaron, and already beat Joey B. in the Jungle in the regular season.  Are you really sure that you'd rather have had the Niners over the Lambs. In my mind, the Bengals are the better football team. The AFC's top teams are stronger than the NFC's best.  Kansas City and  Tennessee, I believe, are better than the Rams. And since we have proven that we are better than KC or Tennessee, doesn't it make sense that we are better than the Rams???

Tell me why I am wrong.

This.  The 49ers have a much better defense and a marginally better offense than the Rams. The 49ers were the 3rd best defense in the league based on yards/game, versus the Rams who were 17th. The also had a better defense in terms of scoring and their pass defense, in terms of yards per game, was 6th versus the Rams 26th.

On offense, the 49ers were 7th in yards/game and the Rams 9th.

Add to this the fact that SF fans are like Dallas and Pittsburgh fans -- they would dominate the stadium.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 06:52 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Someone explain why we should have rather faced SF.   SF outscored LA 75-54 in their three meeting this season, with the Niners winning two of those, including a 21 pt. blowout in SF.   The SF fan base is much more passionate than LA, so I don't expect much of a home field advantage at SOFI.   For some reason, SF seems to get some quirky breaks when they play us and find a way to come out on top.

Also, the NFL.com power rankings  ranked the Chiefs #1  AND  SF #2 out of the four teams left going in to Championship Sunday. The Rams were #3. We were #4. Previous power rankings going into divisional round had Chiefs #3 , Titans #5, Bengals #6  , Niners #7 , and Rams #8 .   The Rams defense with Donald, Miller , etal  gave up more points on the season than any other team in their division.  In addition to losing two of three to the Niners, the Rams also lost at home by  17  to Arizona, by 12 at home to Tennessee, won by just 9 at home over hapless Detroit, and closed the season by  beating the atrocious Ravens by 1 point , in a game they probably should have lost.

In the playoffs SF went into Dallas and beat Dak , into Lambeau and beat Aaron, and already beat Joey B. in the Jungle in the regular season.  Are you really sure that you'd rather have had the Niners over the Lambs. In my mind, the Bengals are the better football team. The AFC's top teams are stronger than the NFC's best.  Kansas City and  Tennessee, I believe, are better than the Rams. And since we have proven that we are better than KC or Tennessee, doesn't it make sense that we are better than the Rams???

Tell me why I am wrong.

I'll explain it. And just to preface, because some people evidently can't read, none of this means I don't think we can beat LA. We can, and will. I preferred SF simply because of matchups. If we played SF, we would have to deal with Bosa off the edge. With a bad RT we could put Sample out there to help and Bosa won't be that disruptive, just have to double him. Playing LA, we have to deal with Aaron Donald coming in between Hopkins and Adeniji. Anyone think we can win that battle? Then we have Vonn Miller coming off the edge.  Anyone confident Prince can handle him? Kupp is the #1 receiver in the league right now. And we have played SF, so as Joe says, he always plays better the 2nd time he faces a team.  So yes, I would prefer SF simply because we match up better. That said, it's a moot point, we got LA. Pollack has his work cut out over the next two weeks.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 09:13 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: The atmosphere at SOFI won't be anything like a Ram's home game. First, 90% of whatever fans the Rams have wouldn't be able to afford the tickets. Second, football still isn't big in the LA area and the Ram's/especially the Charger's games always have lots of transplants there rooting for the other team.

I'm kind of glad the Rams won because this way it eliminates the possibility of a flukey loss to the 9ers and all that comes with that.

I agree with you. At first I was on board with playing the Niners but some kind of flukey sh!t always seems to go in their favor. Plus, their fanbase is a more passionate following than that of the Rams. The Rams are NOT the Lakers when it comes to LA sports.  Wouldn't surprise me to see that there is about as much support for the Bengals as the Rams.  
Reply/Quote
Hell, I thought we were had lads down 21-3 at Arrowhead. Lesson learned, Rams/Niners, makes no difference to me now. I believe this just may be our year.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 09:28 AM)Nepa Wrote: This.  The 49ers have a much better defense and a marginally better offense than the Rams. The 49ers were the 3rd best defense in the league based on yards/game, versus the Rams who were 17th. The also had a better defense in terms of scoring and their pass defense, in terms of yards per game, was 6th versus the Rams 26th.

On offense, the 49ers were 7th in yards/game and the Rams 9th.

Add to this the fact that SF fans are like Dallas and Pittsburgh fans -- they would dominate the stadium.

I think all factors considered, we are better off with the Rams. Crazy things always seem to happen that isn't favorable in a Bengals/ 49er's game .  Any team that struggled mightily to beat the hapless Ravens in week 18 is a team I will take my chances with.
Reply/Quote

Tell me why I am wrong.

You're not wrong, but I wanted to face them for the revenge factor....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 11:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Facing Aaron Donald, Vonn Miller, Cooper Cupp and OBJ... would have rather had SF

Joe Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and the Bengals defense, they should be worried. 

Wanted the 49ers for the revenge factor but its the Super Bowl. Want to beat the best in their own house even to leave no doubt who the true Champions really are. 

I believe !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Joe Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and the Bengals defense, they should be worried. 

Wanted the 49ers for the revenge factor but its the Super Bowl. Want to beat the best in their own house even to leave no doubt who the true Champions really are. 

I believe !

and winning a Super Bowl isn't meant to be easy, right? If we were going against the 49'ers we could be posting about how we fear Deebo and how Bosa is going to light up Joe Burrow. We'd be seeing posts how they already beat us. My point, it's a challenge to win it all no matter who you play against.

49'ers or Rams, I believe in Burrow and this team. 

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2022, 11:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Facing Aaron Donald, Vonn Miller, Cooper Cupp and OBJ... would have rather had SF

Look at it this way... We get to Say Hi to Whitworth before Not letting him win a SB again
Reply/Quote

Tell me why I am wrong.
You honestly aren't wrong.    However, I was coming at wanting to play the 49ers again for a couple of reasons:  1) redemption for the loss earlier this year where we fumbled 3 times.     2) to get the prior super bowl losses at the hands of the 49ers monkey off our backs as well.    For me, it was all emotion vs. looking at the facts.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:26 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote:    2) to get the prior super bowl losses at the hands of the 49ers monkey off our backs as well.    For me, it was all emotion vs. looking at the facts.  

Cant Really do that with Montana being retired now.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cant Really do that with Montana being retired now.

It's still the 49ers.    I tend to be a little more salty about playing them.   Maybe I just need to get over it, but it's there.   Lived thru both of those.    Would like to see us beat them on that stage - regardless of it being different players.  
Reply/Quote

Ugh, facing Chris Jones, Ingram, Mathieu, Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman isnt much better and we beat thier asses TWICE....and dont get me started on the Maxx Crosby fear (me included) before the Raiders game. Rams better be ready for our guys....they have never faced Chase or Burrow which I think will play in our favor. If its one thing Ive learned in the last several weeks is don't under estimate what this Bengo team is capable of.   
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:32 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: It's still the 49ers.    I tend to be a little more salty about playing them.   Maybe I just need to get over it, but it's there.   Lived thru both of those.    Would like to see us beat them on that stage - regardless of it being different players.  

I would've much rather had the 49ers as well.  It's about losing 2 Super Bowls against them, it's about having to watch Billups drop that INT, John Taylor, Montana, etc. and it's about what happened to the Bengals in the aftermath during the 90's.  It's about righting everything that's been wrong since 1988.  

I found myself cheering for the niners for the first time ever.  I would've loved them to play the old SB highlights over and over saying we can't win only to have Burrow and Co. smash that old narrative forever.

It was not meant to be and that's okay.  This team is destined to become champions no matter what the pundits say.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Look at it this way... We get to Say Hi to Whitworth before Not letting him win a SB again

That's cold, man. LOL
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:47 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I would've much rather had the 49ers as well.  It's about losing 2 Super Bowls against them, it's about having to watch Billups drop that INT, John Taylor, Montana, etc. and it's about what happened to the Bengals in the aftermath during the 90's.  It's about righting everything that's been wrong since 1988.  

I found myself cheering for the niners for the first time ever.  I would've loved them to play the old SB highlights over and over saying we can't win only to have Burrow and Co. smash that old narrative forever.

It was not meant to be and that's okay.  This team is destined to become champions no matter what the pundits say.

This.   Exactly this.
Reply/Quote
Two very good teams will be playing two weeks from now and as usual the team that makes the fewest mistakes has a better chance of coming out on top. I really didn't care if we faced LA or SF. We have Burrow that does not get rattled no matter how big the game or situation and the whole team feeds off of his quiet confidence. We also have Shooter McPherson , who has ice water running through his veins and seeing that the game will be played in a closed stadium should be good from around 60+. I like our chances, we can beat anybody in the league, as Joe said, "We're here to make noise!" Who Dey!!!! God Bless and I love you all!
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 12:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote:
Joe Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and the Bengals defense, they should be worried. 

I believe !

Yes, they should.... I never indicated they shouldn't. Like I said, I think we will win this game.  But anyone who is even slightly familiar with the situation should know that while Bosa would be trying to sack Burrow on every play, they are friends, and he would not be trying to hurt him.  Aaron Donald is going to be trying to put him out of the game on every play. The line is going to have to play their tails off to protect him. 
Reply/Quote